+ Reply to Thread
Page 87 of 87 FirstFirst ... 37 77 84 85 86 87
Results 2,151 to 2,157 of 2157
    Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post
    Hill's upper crust English accent makes her sound smarter and more believable.

Of course, she's bloody brilliant, anyway.
    Thatís why muggs loves her. She sounds like Masterpiece Theater.

Re: 2020 Democratic Nomination

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post

I guess it was hard. Let me know if you need help.
    No. I fully understand your words. They aren't very complicated. And I'll commit to working just a little harder for whoever the dem nominee is to make up for it. You can just cuddle that 401k.
    Take car. Go to Mum's. Kill Phil - "Sorry." - grab Liz, go to the Winchester, have a nice cold pint, and wait for all of this to blow over. How's that for a slice of fried gold?

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Thatís true, but itís not because of any bloc voting or "echo chamber." We donít get together and decide what to think. Youíre just not getting head nods from various people who donít agree with you. Me, Iím staying out of this one, because I donít know enough to have an opinion. (Itís rare that Iíll let mere ignorance get in the way of asserting an opinion, but there are people here who genuinely know about such things.). So you wonít get a head nod from me, but you wonít get a rebuttal, either.

Over the last few years, the right-wing posters we've gotten here have tended to be trolls. They havenít been forced out because people disagree with them.
    I don't disagree, and didn't refer directly or indirectly to an "echo chamber." But there is a consistent and rather vitriolic reaction to posts here that even remotely resemble conservatism. Like, I don't now, people may not vote for Warren because of economic concerns. Predictably, backdoor accusations of racism and inferences of selfishness. Shame on me for caring about my 401(k), even though the point wasn't about my views specifically but potential concerns of voters that a Warren ticket would need.

There have been an assortment of trolls, and they've been treated accordingly. While I share some conservative philosophies I'm neither right wing nor a Trump supporter. Quite the opposite on the latter. My history here is very clear. I've been critical of Trump dating back to before his election. One of the things on a very short list of things he did that I was calling for - tax reform - he completely botched. I'm no fan. Didn't vote for him. Won't vote for him.

I think it'd be hard to argue though that the less trollerific conservative voices that show up here time to time aren't pretty roundly shouted down. Maybe some of the posts I tend to react to - ones that cast broad and in my view generally unjustified aspersions on entire swaths of people - contribute to the fact that when I pipe up in here it's usually met negatively. And I'm ok with that. But people putting words in my mouth or trying to insinuate things about me as a person is a bit annoying.

I've shared before that I have an adopted brother that is from an immigrant family whose parents were both drug addicts and in and out of prison. My mother volunteered full time at a semi-advanced age at a school for underprivileged kids. I'd put my own personal investment in terms of a variety of resources towards social causes up against anyone's without feeling ashamed in comparison. Because I think people care about their retirements - people like my parents for instance - I'm a selfish person and I'm a closet ism-ist? Nah. Not gonna be shamed like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    No. I fully understand your words. They aren't very complicated. And I'll commit to working just a little harder for whoever the dem nominee is to make up for it. You can just cuddle that 401k.
    /rimshot

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Thatís why muggs loves her. She sounds like Masterpiece Theater.
    That's ok. It's one of the reasons I love her, too.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post
    That's ok. It's one of the reasons I love her, too.
    I love her intellect, bearing, kick-ass style and the accent sounds good to my untrained ear, but--from all reports--it's a Northern accent deriving from her coal-miner father that is probably disqualifying for a British elite. IMHO, better that way. I'm no fan of British elites.

But Hill – who grew up in County Durham, north-east England, and is the daughter of a coal miner and a nurse – has had an unconventional route to the heart of power in Washington DC.

Hill, 54, began her testimony on Thursday by describing her childhood. “The men in my father’s family were coalminers whose families always struggled with poverty,” Hill notes in her written statement. “When my father, Alfred, was 14, he joined his father, brother, uncles and cousins in the coal mines to help put food on the table.”

The industry began to decline after the second world war, resulting in the closure of many pits in Durham. Hill said her father had wanted to move to the US to work in coal mines in West Virginia or Pennsylvania, but was forced to stay in England to care for his mother. Her mother, June, still lives in the county.

In 2017, June Hill told the Times that her daughter called her on a daily basis and still sought her advice. “There are things she can’t discuss because her work is pretty ‘hush hush’. I believe we have been security checked – all the family, even my godson,” she said.

In her written testimony, Hill said her background had never held her back in the US, and drew a contrast with the UK.

“I can say with confidence that this country has offered for me opportunities I never would have had in England. I grew up poor with a very distinctive working-class accent. In England in the 1980s and 1990s, this would have impeded my professional development.

“This background has never set me back in America.”
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ng-waves-in-dc
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Yes, Hill was very impressive yesterday. I don't think she's done with government service in future administrations. She's the type of person, a real leader of people would want on their team to advise them from making any diplomatic and intelligence mistakes.
    Cashman: Death Star Fully Operational

Thread Information