+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Hope is eternal

Re: 2020 Democratic Nomination

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    Johnson...Dems ended up with Nixon? (I think its your lifetime.) War didn't help GWB, but he had snuck into his second term before it hurt him, but it hurt his party....led to Obama.

It really depends on the war.
    Yes discussed with Maynerd And I was 1 at the time so i guess should have said during the lifetime when I was aware of world affairs. With the electoral college you don’t need a majority of the votes and while It could go against him, you don’t need much of the moderates support to add to his base to lead to 4 more years
    Thankful to be a fan of a big market team

Hope is eternal

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    There are currently 4-5 that should be running for the Senate instead of POTUS. Instead of polling at 0-2% they'd be at 40-45% in states that the Democrats need to win.

Bullock (MT)
    Castro (TX)
    Hickenlooper (CO)
    O'Rourke (TX)
    I think today this “Dems are abandoning the Senate” is way overblown. Senate races don’t begin until the year of the election in many cases. I will be concerned if it is March 2020 and there are still 15 plus still in.

There are currently 4-5 that should be running for the Senate instead of POTUS. Instead of polling at 0-2% they'd be at 40-45% in states that the Democrats need to win.

Bullock (MT)
    Castro (TX)
    Hickenlooper (CO)
    O'Rourke (TX)
    I totally agree with this. I hope they realize by the end of this year that they need to switch gears.

Hope is eternal

Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post
    I totally agree with this. I hope they realize by the end of this year that they need to switch gears.
    I would too. But the news folk trying to make it a big deal today need to calm down.

Apparently the Senate isn't particularly enticing these days, particularly for ex-governors who are used to being able to accomplish things.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    I think today this “Dems are abandoning the Senate” is way overblown. Senate races don’t begin until the year of the election in many cases. I will be concerned if it is March 2020 and there are still 15 plus still in.
    Remember, some of these are really angling for a Veep spot. The women would go with Biden or Bernie, and the men would back up Warren or Harris.

Say what you want about the Veep spot, but many end up President.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.4534899513c0

Biden thinks once Trump is gone, the Republicans will have an epiphany. Yeah and pigs will fly.
    Obama said that this would happen when he gained re-election.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    This is EXACTLY why he is the wrong candidate for 2020. Was he not paying attention during Obama's 8 years to know better?
    Yeah, Biden has never been perfect but in general terms, he's been fine. He's clearly made some mistakes.

However, I've never thought he should run or become President.

If Elizabeth Warren were a white man she would be polling way ahead of every other candidate.
    I was thinking this about a month ago and now, even more so.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

Remember, some of these are really angling for a Veep spot. The women would go with Biden or Bernie, and the men would back up Warren or Harris.

Look at Selina Meyer.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Look at Selina Meyer.
    ...or both Frank and Claire Underwood.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Apparently the Senate isn't particularly enticing these days, particularly for ex-governors who are used to being able to accomplish things.
    With all the confirmations they do, it's so important.

I prefer Warren-Harris.

NYYF Legend

Not recently. The last VP to win the Presidency was Al Gore.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees View Post
    I believe he lost 5-4.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    I believe he lost 5-4.
    Sigh. I frequently wonder what might've been had those "originalists" not decided an election.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Yeah, well none of these bold, ambitious policy ideas being floated by the Presidential candidates mean anything if the Democrats don't take back the Senate.

Despite what Biden thinks, there's no working with Republicans in the Senate. He's delusional to think otherwise. That ship has sailed.

Hope is eternal

I believe he lost 5-4.
    Think about it. Since 1992, the GOP has won one popular election but have held the White House 3 terms

With all the confirmations they do, it's so important.
    Yeah, well none of these bold, ambitious policy ideas being floated by the Presidential candidates mean anything if the Democrats don't take back the Senate.

Despite what Biden thinks, there's no working with Republicans in the Senate. He's delusional to think otherwise. That ship has sailed.
    Yes and yes, of course. But nobody with political aspirations ever ran for office thinking, "Yeah! If I win this seat I can help confirm judges!" Or even "I can help someone else get something Don, even if I’m irrelevant except as a 'D' vote." This gives them a better chance at VP, or Secretary of Something, or Ambassador to Somewhere.

Someone like Beto has time to reboot and run for Senate. I can’t really see why Waldo Hickenlooper would be interested in being a Senator.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

I canít really see why Waldo Hickenlooper would be interested in being a Senator.
    He's unemployed. Beats getting a real job.

Hick didn't follow the path of a typical politician. His first run for public office didn't come until he was in his 50s. He was a couple weeks shy of 58 before he held an office higher than Mayor of Denver. So, in the political arena, he's still pretty much a novice. Senator might be appealing to him. It's a better title than former brewer, former Mayor, or former Governor.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post

Hick didn't follow the path of a typical politician. His first run for public office didn't come until he was in his 50s. He was a couple weeks shy of 58 before he held an office higher than Mayor of Denver. So, in the political arena, he's still pretty much a novice. Senator might be appealing to him. It's a better title than former brewer, former Mayor, or former Governor.
    Senator Hickenlooper sounds like part of a Bob and Ray sketch.

NYYF Legend

He's also 67. So couldn't he just be "retired".
    Baseball is life;

You are young still. That doesn't always have the appeal you think it would have.

NYYF Legend

Well, that's a small pool since then. And Gore did get the nomination and one more is in the running (Biden). Cheney is a non-starter. Pence is not yet eligible but might be in 2024 or if Trump gets impeached. It's probably a better lock to get a nomination than it is to win the Presidency.

(I know you really just wanted to use the "Gore won" line.)

Sure. However, he seems to be uninterested in grabbing a fly rod and settling down.

67 is also younger than Sanders, Bloomberg, Biden, Warren, Holder and Inslee. Also Trump. Last I checked, none of them were pursuing retirement.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

NYYF Legend

Sure. However, he seems to be uninterested in grabbing a fly rod and settling down.

67 is also younger than Sanders, Bloomberg, Biden, Warren, Holder and Inslee. Also Trump. Last I checked, none of them were pursuing retirement.
    I'm beginning to think a mandatory retirement age for politicans is not a bad idea.
    Baseball is life;

Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    You are young still. That doesn't always have the appeal you think it would have.
    Iím 46 and Iím sooooo ready, even if it involves eating cat food and watching paint dry.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    over 50. if I had the money to retire tomorrow, I probably would.
    Baseball is life;

Thread Information