+ Reply to Thread
Page 89 of 192 FirstFirst ... 39 79 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 99 139 189 ... LastLast
Results 2,201 to 2,225 of 4797
  1. #2201
    NYYF Triple Crown

    Tyler Durden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The CT/MA Border, aka Pink Sox Territory

    Re: 2020 Democratic Nomination

    Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    When people ask why democratic socialism is on the rise.

    https://www.federalreserve.gov/relea...l;units:shares
    Bingo!

    How can we expect young people to defend the status quo when those same people are being left behind by it?
    Stay "We" my friends

  2. #2202
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    CT

    Re: 2020 Democratic Nomination

    Democratic socialism is coming. Just a matter of when.

  3. #2203

    Re: 2020 Democratic Nomination

    Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    Democratic socialism is coming. Just a matter of when.
    Not soon enough.

  4. #2204

    Re: 2020 Democratic Nomination

    If Bloomberg really wants to help, he should offer to completely cover the legal costs of all of Trump’s sexual assault victims should they want to testify before Congress. And any possible NDA violations.

  5. #2205
    Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    lil'rhody

    Re: 2020 Democratic Nomination

    Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    If Bloomberg really wants to help, he should offer to completely cover the legal costs of all of Trump’s sexual assault victims should they want to testify before Congress. And any possible NDA violations.
    Him and Steyer could do so much good with their money if they didn't spend it on themselves. It's infuriating. Fund 500 down ballot races, fully fund Stacey Abrams' organization fighting voter suppression, bombard facebook with digital ads about how solid the case for impeachment is....anything but giving Sinclair $50 million to get 3% of the vote.

  6. #2206
    NYYF Legend

    theDurk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Basking Ridge, NJ

    Re: 2020 Democratic Nomination

    Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    I think this is more a referendum on Trump. All of these candidates should be able to beat Trump. If they don't, it's not because they were the wrong nominee or ran the wrong campaign but because Trump represents who we are as a country now.
    This is an oft-repeated idea that does not persuade me at all. The man starts with an unshakable base of 40%, plus a structural advantage due to the EC. It is quite clear that there is a real difference in the performance of candidates in head-to-head polling vs Trump, particularly in battleground states. You cannot just dismiss this reality. To you it's black-and-white--scratch that, let's use a less loaded term: to you, it's a binary choice: Trump, or not Trump. However, to many people in flyover country, the Bernie/Liz full-bore progressive agenda represents a fearsome devil that they don't know. Do not underestimate Trump's facility at making that devil even more fearsome than it really is. And, for better or worse, they have survived four years of Trump. "Devil you know..."

    Trump will lose against any candidate that won't scare swing voters out of voting for him. Please don't start with the 'swing voters don't exist' silliness. Swing voters, mainly suburban women, won the House in 2018. The seats that flipped were moderates. The progressives mostly won in seats that were already blue. Unfortunately, all those hidden progressives live in the wrong places and their votes don't count.

    I'll back Liz or Bernie to the hilt if nominated, but I fear for the result, as I did last time. I took major grief just for saying it would be close.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

  7. #2207
    once more unto the breach Texsahara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011

    Re: 2020 Democratic Nomination

    Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    This is an oft-repeated idea that does not persuade me at all. The man starts with an unshakable base of 40%, plus a structural advantage due to the EC. It is quite clear that there is a real difference in the performance of candidates in head-to-head polling vs Trump, particularly in battleground states. You cannot just dismiss this reality. To you it's black-and-white--scratch that, let's use a less loaded term: to you, it's a binary choice: Trump, or not Trump. However, to many people in flyover country, the Bernie/Liz full-bore progressive agenda represents a fearsome devil that they don't know. Do not underestimate Trump's facility at making that devil even more fearsome than it really is. And, for better or worse, they have survived four years of Trump. "Devil you know..."

    Trump will lose against any candidate that won't scare swing voters out of voting for him. Please don't start with the 'swing voters don't exist' silliness. Swing voters, mainly suburban women, won the House in 2018. The seats that flipped were moderates. The progressives mostly won in seats that were already blue. Unfortunately, all those hidden progressives live in the wrong places and their votes don't count.

    I'll back Liz or Bernie to the hilt if nominated, but I fear for the result, as I did last time. I took major grief just for saying it would be close.
    Okay. I have no interest in persuading you to believe anything and I don't believe in swing voters being any significant percentage of the likely voters. You can call it silly all you want but the House was won by getting people to the polls, not some mythical group that could be persuaded to vote one way or the other. And getting those people to the polls was a referendum on Trumpism. Independent voters are not independent. They almost all lean one way or another. This has been studied over and over and is not disputable. The EC is a problem but it can be overcome if "the people" don't want Trump.

    People that vote for Trump are racist or okay with ignoring his racism. They are willing to accept destroying the environment, reversing lgbtq rights, putting babies in cages, and on and on. If they would consider voting for him, they are voting for him. There's no swing there. You sound like Joe Biden.

    In the end, if it's Liz or Bernie with the nom and they lose, the story will be that they were too far left. If it's Biden and he loses, the story will be because he's too old and out of touch. If it's Buttigieg and he loses, the story will be that was too young and inexperienced. It doesn't matter. There will always be some fabricated story about why they shouldn't have lost to the orange menace when in reality it will not be because of who they are but who he is and who we are. It is Trump or not Trump even if you can't admit it to yourself.

  8. #2208
    Get Off My Lawn. Maynerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Colorado Springs

    Re: 2020 Democratic Nomination

    Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    Independent voters are not independent. They almost all lean one way or another.
    Which way they almost always lean does not make them less than independent. They still consider all the relevant factors, and pull the lever based on that assessment. That's independence.

    As opposed to the drones who always vote straight party line, regardless of which party they support. No leaning...just rigid, thoughtless, uneducated voting. That's NOT independent.

    Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara
    You can call it silly all you want but the House was won by getting people to the polls, not some mythical group that could be persuaded to vote one way or the other.
    These are closely related. You need a candidate that will get the appropriate party's robot voters out in force, AND will attract the independent voters. The candidate that doesn't excite the independents is probably not going to convince the lazy robots to go to the polls.

    I don't ever vote a straight party line. In general, I have supported more Republicans than Democrats, but I have never done so religiously. I would never vote for Donald Trump, for reasons I've spelled out repeatedly. But, in 2016, the Democrats also gave me someone I could never vote for. So, I didn't vote for either of them. Do you suppose there might have been a few reliable Democratic voters who stayed home because they had the same misgivings about that nominee?

    There ARE independent voters. And the things that will attract those voters are the same things that will energize the "maybe I ought to think about going to vote" block. A good candidate does both.

    "But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

  9. #2209
    NYYF Legend

    theDurk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Basking Ridge, NJ

    Re: 2020 Democratic Nomination

    Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    Okay. I have no interest in persuading you to believe anything and I don't believe in swing voters being any significant percentage of the likely voters. You can call it silly all you want but the House was won by getting people to the polls, not some mythical group that could be persuaded to vote one way or the other. And getting those people to the polls was a referendum on Trumpism. Independent voters are not independent. They almost all lean one way or another. This has been studied over and over and is not disputable. The EC is a problem but it can be overcome if "the people" don't want Trump.

    People that vote for Trump are racist or okay with ignoring his racism. They are willing to accept destroying the environment, reversing lgbtq rights, putting babies in cages, and on and on. If they would consider voting for him, they are voting for him. There's no swing there. You sound like Joe Biden.

    In the end, if it's Liz or Bernie with the nom and they lose, the story will be that they were too far left. If it's Biden and he loses, the story will be because he's too old and out of touch. If it's Buttigieg and he loses, the story will be that was too young and inexperienced. It doesn't matter. There will always be some fabricated story about why they shouldn't have lost to the orange menace when in reality it will not be because of who they are but who he is and who we are. It is Trump or not Trump even if you can't admit it to yourself.
    What does the bolded have to do with the discussion? We all agree Trump is a racist, insensitive, authoritarian, would-be despot. He still polls at 40% and only needs about one-fifth of the rest to win. Now here is the hard truth. Not everyone feels as strongly about racism as you do. You can call them racist all you want and it makes no difference. In their minds, they are not racist, but they don't care that much. They don't know any POCs, and in many places they might not even have any who live near them. They are more worried about government run health insurance and paying higher taxes to have it. It doesn't matter how much you despise them; they still vote.

    The leaning independent can lean the opposite direction faced with the choice of a particular candidate, and is far more likely to lean against a candidate they see as extreme. This only reinforces my argument, not yours. A moderate will pick up all the leaners, an extremist will lose them.

    The final point about fabricated stories is beneath discussion. I don't care about the story; I care about who wins. It is a clumsy device to dismiss any analysis of the chances of the different candidates. You can do better.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

  10. #2210
    once more unto the breach Texsahara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011

    Re: 2020 Democratic Nomination

    Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    Which way they almost always lean does not make them less than independent. They still consider all the relevant factors, and pull the lever based on that assessment. That's independence.

    As opposed to the drones who always vote straight party line, regardless of which party they support. No leaning...just rigid, thoughtless, uneducated voting. That's NOT independent.

    These are closely related. You need a candidate that will get the appropriate party's robot voters out in force, AND will attract the independent voters. The candidate that doesn't excite the independents is probably not going to convince the lazy robots to go to the polls.

    I don't ever vote a straight party line. In general, I have supported more Republicans than Democrats, but I have never done so religiously. I would never vote for Donald Trump, for reasons I've spelled out repeatedly. But, in 2016, the Democrats also gave me someone I could never vote for. So, I didn't vote for either of them. Do you suppose there might have been a few reliable Democratic voters who stayed home because they had the same misgivings about that nominee?

    There ARE independent voters. And the things that will attract those voters are the same things that will energize the "maybe I ought to think about going to vote" block. A good candidate does both.
    Disagree. There is no evidence to back this up. Registered independents are just as likely to vote the party they lean toward as their democrat or republican counterparts. They are not the thoughtful special snowflakes you want to believe them to be and the registered dems/reps are not all just drones that always vote the party line. People stayed home for a lot of reasons in 2016. That they didn't like HRC was one of them. That the dems were frustrated with Obama and were just being offered more of the same was another one. So let's not run out someone with a lot of baggage or someone that wants to continue with the policies of an administration that was failing the middle and lower classes.

  11. #2211
    once more unto the breach Texsahara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011

    Re: 2020 Democratic Nomination

    Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    What does the bolded have to do with the discussion? We all agree Trump is a racist, insensitive, authoritarian, would-be despot. He still polls at 40% and only needs about one-fifth of the rest to win. Now here is the hard truth. Not everyone feels as strongly about racism as you do. You can call them racist all you want and it makes no difference. In their minds, they are not racist, but they don't care that much. They don't know any POCs, and in many places they might not even have any who live near them. They are more worried about government run health insurance and paying higher taxes to have it. It doesn't matter how much you despise them; they still vote.

    The leaning independent can lean the opposite direction faced with the choice of a particular candidate, and is far more likely to lean against a candidate they see as extreme. This only reinforces my argument, not yours. A moderate will pick up all the leaners, an extremist will lose them.

    The final point about fabricated stories is beneath discussion. I don't care about the story; I care about who wins. It is a clumsy device to dismiss any analysis of the chances of the different candidates. You can do better.
    It has everything to do with it. Let's not pretend like people in flyover states are ignorant of what Trump is. This is not voting for Romney or Bush. This is voting for a man who is changing the fabric of who we are as a nation. Another four years and you will not recognize this country. You know it. I know it. They know it. The difference is they are okay with it. There is no economic anxiety. There never was. There is hate and intolerance and the desire to preserve a white america.

    And it's not a clumsy device to defend anything. I don't agree with you. Your opinions are not reality. They are just opinions.

    But let's also remember that while Trump may be polling at 40%, his challengers are polling higher. They can all beat him.

  12. #2212
    NYYF Legend

    theDurk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Basking Ridge, NJ

    Re: 2020 Democratic Nomination

    Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    It has everything to do with it. Let's not pretend like people in flyover states are ignorant of what Trump is. This is not voting for Romney or Bush. This is voting for a man who is changing the fabric of who we are as a nation. Another four years and you will not recognize this country. You know it. I know it. They know it. The difference is they are okay with it. There is no economic anxiety. There never was. There is hate and intolerance.

    And it's not a clumsy device to defend anything. I don't agree with you. Your opinions are not reality. They are just opinions.

    But let's also remember that while Trump may be polling at 40%, his challengers are polling higher. They can all beat him.
    My sister and brother voted for Trump. They are not racist. They also weren't voting due to economic anxiety, opposing abortion, loving guns, etc. They wanted lower taxes than what HRC would do them (both very well off). They fully intend to vote for him again for the same reason. People vote about what is important to them, not what is important to you. In this discussion, it doesn't matter how despicable a voter's motivations are. They are just data points. If we can't change it in the next 12 months, we just have to deal with it.

    I disagree that all the candidates can beat Trump in the EC. It's all about the battlegrounds. As in 2016, as I said repeatedly, margins will narrow as we get closer to election day. The election CAN be lost. That was my opinion in 2016, but it's fact now.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

  13. #2213
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    CT

    Re: 2020 Democratic Nomination

    I will say it again. These four years will look closer to what we used to call normal in comparison to a Trump with no concerns about reelection

  14. #2214
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: 2020 Democratic Nomination

    Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    My sister and brother voted for Trump. They are not racist. They also weren't voting due to economic anxiety, opposing abortion, loving guns, etc. They wanted lower taxes than what HRC would do them (both very well off). They fully intend to vote for him again for the same reason. People vote about what is important to them, not what is important to you. In this discussion, it doesn't matter how despicable a voter's motivations are. They are just data points. If we can't change it in the next 12 months, we just have to deal with it.

    I disagree that all the candidates can beat Trump in the EC. It's all about the battlegrounds. As in 2016, as I said repeatedly, margins will narrow as we get closer to election day. The election CAN be lost. That was my opinion in 2016, but it's fact now.
    But they seem more than happy to let the President try to fulfill a racist agenda if it saves them a few bucks in taxes.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

  15. #2215

    Re: 2020 Democratic Nomination

    Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    My sister and brother voted for Trump. They are not racist. They also weren't voting due to economic anxiety, opposing abortion, loving guns, etc. They wanted lower taxes than what HRC would do them (both very well off). They fully intend to vote for him again for the same reason. People vote about what is important to them, not what is important to you. In this discussion, it doesn't matter how despicable a voter's motivations are. They are just data points. If we can't change it in the next 12 months, we just have to deal with it.

    I disagree that all the candidates can beat Trump in the EC. It's all about the battlegrounds. As in 2016, as I said repeatedly, margins will narrow as we get closer to election day. The election CAN be lost. That was my opinion in 2016, but it's fact now.
    Have your siblings not seen the nightmare Trump has created? The irrevocable damage to the courts, environment, and marginalized communities? Lower taxes are worth that? Worth electing a sexual predator? I hope you are able to get them to see this. Hillary wasn't even a progressive.

    I, too, have family members who voted for him and will undoubtedly do so again. I call them what they are: racist, xenophobic, and deeply misogynistic. Without hesitation.

    There's no good excuse for voting for him a second time. Not one. If someone is ok with his racism and misogyny, especially when it's only about paying a little less to help society, then they're as good as being those things themselves.

  16. #2216
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    CT

    Re: 2020 Democratic Nomination

    I see no difference between being racist and being ok with it.

  17. #2217

    Re: 2020 Democratic Nomination

    Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    I see no difference between being racist and being ok with it.
    He admitted to sexual assault ON TAPE. Anyone who is ok with that because of taxes is... not ok.

  18. #2218
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    CT

    Re: 2020 Democratic Nomination

    Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post
    He admitted to sexual assault ON TAPE. Anyone who is ok with that because of taxes is... not ok.
    Exactly.

  19. #2219
    NYYF Legend

    theDurk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Basking Ridge, NJ

    Re: 2020 Democratic Nomination

    I get it. I'm not ok with any of it. They are not at all happy with me, I can tell you. But the point is, they are not alone. No amount of breast-beating (are we still allowed to say that?) will change the fact that many people will vote based on what impacts them directly. When we analyze an election, we need to deal with that reality, and not allow our moral superiority to believe that Trump can't win or mischaracterize people as driven by racism. If Harriet Tubman were running and would keep their taxes down, they would vote for her, in a heartbeat. I'm not defending those who think that way; I'm just interested in objective analysis that leads to a November defeat of that racist in the White House.

    The path to doing that will lead through the nominee's approach to issues that do not involve race. That is all I am saying, and I hope the posters on here are mature enough not to characterize that as something else in the exercise of delicious righteous zeal.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

  20. #2220
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: 2020 Democratic Nomination

    Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    I get it. I'm not ok with any of it. They are not at all happy with me, I can tell you. But the point is, they are not alone. No amount of breast-beating (are we still allowed to say that?) will change the fact that many people will vote based on what impacts them directly. When we analyze an election, we need to deal with that reality, and not allow our moral superiority to believe that Trump can't win or mischaracterize people as driven by racism. If Harriet Tubman were running and would keep their taxes down, they would vote for her, in a heartbeat. I'm not defending those who think that way; I'm just interested in objective analysis that leads to a November defeat of that racist in the White House.

    The path to doing that will lead through the nominee's approach to issues that do not involve race. That is all I am saying, and I hope the posters on here are mature enough not to characterize that as something else in the exercise of delicious righteous zeal.
    So many Boomers voting on that credit card and leaving more debt to the next generation.

    Saw an interesting question the other day, “who is going to buy all the boomer houses?”

    At some point it needs to be both about the greater good AND a rising tide raising all boats.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

  21. #2221
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    I get it. I'm not ok with any of it. They are not at all happy with me, I can tell you. But the point is, they are not alone. No amount of breast-beating (are we still allowed to say that?) will change the fact that many people will vote based on what impacts them directly. When we analyze an election, we need to deal with that reality, and not allow our moral superiority to believe that Trump can't win or mischaracterize people as driven by racism. If Harriet Tubman were running and would keep their taxes down, they would vote for her, in a heartbeat. I'm not defending those who think that way; I'm just interested in objective analysis that leads to a November defeat of that racist in the White House.

    The path to doing that will lead through the nominee's approach to issues that do not involve race. That is all I am saying, and I hope the posters on here are mature enough not to characterize that as something else in the exercise of delicious righteous zeal.
    We’re allowed to say breast-beating, because men as well as women have breasts that they can beat. I think "bazonga-beating" might be more problematic.

    I get your point, Tim, but there’s a big problem there. If they’re willing to excuse everything else about Trump - a list that has racism near the top, but continues on for quite a few pages - in order to keep their taxes as low as possible, then there’s probably no Democrat that can reassure them. Your ideal candidate sounds like an old Rockefeller Republican, not a Democrat. The Democrats can afford to be the big-tent party now, but I draw the line at Nelson Rockefeller.

    I have to give him credit for some things, though. He had great taste in art, and he died in grand style.

  22. #2222
    NYYF Legend

    theDurk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Basking Ridge, NJ

    Re: 2020 Democratic Nomination

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    We’re allowed to say breast-beating, because men as well as women have breasts that they can beat. I think "bazonga-beating" might be more problematic.

    I get your point, Tim, but there’s a big problem there. If they’re willing to excuse everything else about Trump - a list that has racism near the top, but continues on for quite a few pages - in order to keep their taxes as low as possible, then there’s probably no Democrat that can reassure them. Your ideal candidate sounds like an old Rockefeller Republican, not a Democrat. The Democrats can afford to be the big-tent party now, but I draw the line at Nelson Rockefeller.

    I have to give him credit for some things, though. He had great taste in art, and he died in grand style.
    No doubt. Their odds of voting for a Democrat are zero. My point is only that racism has nothing to do with it.

    The risk, however, is making the tent so small that everybody else ends up with the racist. Don't think it can't happen.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

  23. #2223
    Importer-exporter
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    I live by the Ocean

    Re: 2020 Democratic Nomination

    Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    I will say it again. These four years will look closer to what we used to call normal in comparison to a Trump with no concerns about reelection
    Well, first, I don't think Trump's relative toxicity rises or falls based on his need to be reelected. His formula such as it is does not involve "reaching out" or moderating his positions.

    But further, you know he has been openly floating the idea of staying beyond 2024?

    (Standard answer: "He CAN'T! It's in the Constitution!)

    Yeah. So is the Emoluments Clause. The Constitution is as good as the good-faith agreement of those with significant pieces of the power pie to respect it. If those with most of the power decide the Constitution doesn't matter, it doesn't matter as much as it used to.

    Moving on, this is one of my objections to the Bloomberg candidacy, along with some others that have already been well articulated here. With Trump openly probing the idea of crapping on the presidential term limits amendment, it isn't a real good look for the Democrats to nominate a guy who got the NYC City Council to let him ignore the NYC mayoral term limits law.
    Last edited by HelloNewman; 11-26-19 at 03:03 AM.
    I hid in the clouded wrath of the crowd, when they said "sit down" I stood up.

  24. #2224

    Re: 2020 Democratic Nomination

    Willingness to overlook sexual assault, overt racism and misogyny, the destruction of the planet (and deaths from it) for profit, severe emoluments violations, and babies in cages for... lower taxes... makes one morally bankrupt. I'm not saying that anyone here is arguing otherwise but damn. That's absolutely horrifying.

  25. #2225
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    CT

    Re: 2020 Democratic Nomination

    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    Well, first, I don't think Trump's relative toxicity rises or falls based on his need to be reelected. His formula such as it is does not involve "reaching out" or moderating his positions.

    But further, you know he has been openly floating the idea of staying beyond 2024?

    (Standard answer: "He CAN'T! It's in the Constitution!)

    Yeah. So is the Emoluments Clause. The Constitution is as good as the good-faith agreement of those with significant pieces of the power pie to respect it. If those with most of the power decide the Constitution doesn't matter, it doesn't matter as much as it used to.

    Moving on, this is one of my objections to the Bloomberg candidacy, along with some others that have already been well articulated here. With Trump openly probing the idea of crapping on the presidential term limits amendment, it isn't a real good look for the Democrats to nominate a guy who got the NYC City Council to let him ignore the NYC mayoral term limits law.
    My issues with Bloomberg go far behind that. Yes I would not doubt him trying to stay longer than two terms if given the chance

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts