+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    NYYF Legend

Re: 2019 Mike Ford Performance Thread

https://yanksgoyard.com/2018/06/02/y...coby-ellsbury/

Ha ha found it. Split the difference in our two figures

Navigating the waters of potential insurance fraud, should the Yankees start and stop Ellsbury’s rehab over the remainder of the season, they will receive $15,857,142 in return for his inability to perform his baseball duties.

So yes the Yankees are unlikely to value an extra 40 man spot at ~$16M.
    My contention is that the day he's healthy enough to play is likely the day the Yankees DFA him.
    I don't disagree that cutting him at the end of the season before making rule 5 adds would be beneficial but I don't see the yanks valuing a marginal rule 5 guy at a possible $15M+ again next year if Ellsbury never recovers like Allbet Bell, Prince Fielder and others.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post

My contention is that the day he's healthy enough to play is likely the day the Yankees DFA him.
    I don't disagree that cutting him at the end of the season before making rule 5 adds would be beneficial but I don't see the yanks valuing a marginal rule 5 guy at a possible $15M+ again next year if Ellsbury never recovers like Allbet Bell, Prince Fielder and others.
    Last I recall, they said he was moving toward baseball activities (Of course, it's possible I missed a setback). If he is healthy as the season ends, I think they have to consider eating his contract. He'll need a legitimate injury to keep the insurance paying, and it sounds like that may be harder to claim going forward.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by YFIB View Post
    Last I recall, they said he was moving toward baseball activities (Of course, it's possible I missed a setback). If he is healthy as the season ends, I think they have to consider eating his contract. He'll need a legitimate injury to keep the insurance paying, and it sounds like that may be harder to claim going forward.
    Ellsbury be on the 60 day through the end of the season but after the season ends guys have to be removed from the 60 day.

He's shown no real progress so far, there is no need for the Yankees to force a decision when they can punt it to next season.
    Baseball is life;

Quote Originally Posted by YFIB View Post
    I’m going to a game tonight. Does that count as "moving toward baseball activities?"

This is the Mike Ford thread, not the Ellsbury thread.

NYYF Legend

Yes indeed.
    There is a thread Ellsbury has to himself.

Very dusty.
    Hasn't been bumped in who knows
    how long?
    There is no wonder.

It is full of much deserving very heavy shade.
    Unfortunate for all, says Mr. Cashman.

NYYF Legend

His year is essentially done with EE back. Very unfortunate we didn't get a better look at Ford.

Cashman's signing of Morales was very stupid.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

NYYF Legend

IDK as a lefty power bat I see Ford getting some starts over both in September. He's probably odd man out on playoff roster though.
    Baseball is life;

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Steve View Post
    This is the Mike Ford thread, not the Ellsbury thread.
    Sir, this is a Wendy's
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post

They'd likely save >$2MM in premiums though if they cut him. So closer to $13MM. That doesn't change the math. Again, I don't think they will either but for a team rich in cash they absolutely should.

Just look at this roster right now. An extra 40 man spot can mean the difference between having roster room for a Voit, an Urshela, a Tauchman, a Ford - all examples of "fringe" guys just within the last ~12 months. Kahnle was originally a rule V loss by the Yankees. And of course Ford and Cortes Jr. were selected yet fortunately returned last rule V. And then you have situations like Luis Torrens, who the Padres stole and is now a 23 year old catcher at AA for them with a 142 wRC+. Caleb Smith was at one point a rule V loss by the Yankees. Tyler Webb. George Kontos. Ivan Nova.

Even with trades like JPF the other day and likely several more in the near future, they are going to have a roster crunch that will cost them talent they need for 2020 and/or beyond. A team like the Yankees should not let that happen. They are flush with cash, and need to be flush with talent at all levels to compete. They should not be letting guys of the caliber above be going to competitors when they can avoid it.

Besides, what I'm really saying is that they should try to get creative and trade his contract. If we go with your $15MM number, they would only need to include $6MM to the acquiring team to make it a complete wash. (My assumption is the $5MM buyout can't be covered by insurance, and is a sunk cost regardless so it doesn't come into play here). At a 32.5% penalty (I think this is the level they'll be at next year) they'd save almost $7MM in luxury tax penalties that would not transfer to the acquiring team (assuming they're under the limit). If I've got the math right, the Yankees could send Jacoby Ellsbury to a team under the limit and without a 40 man challenge along with $7MM. The Yankees would get basically a free roster spot, and the acquiring team would tie up a roster spot but get $1MM in their pockets.

EDIT: Sorry for thread hijack. Will move the discussion. Kinda relates to Ford though, since the topic is rule V fringe guys.

NYYF Legend

I would love to see him waive his NTC and the Yanks get creative in moving him off the books. But I think something like that is more likely at the GM meeting than before the Rule 5 deadline.

At any rate, yes guys like Ford and other will be difficult decisions but I think you and I will both agree it's a good problem for the Yanks to have too much talent in the system that they can't keep it all.
    Baseball is life;

Somehow, hijacking a Mike Ford thread doesn’t seem like a big problem to me.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Well, if you're not going to be diagnosing people.
    "Be a voice, not an echo." - Albert Einstein

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    More like a carjacking
    Baseball is life;

NYYF Triple Crown

I can not help but like this guy. I was always a fan (minors) and disappointed when SEA got him last year (happy we got him back) and if this continues (I know it's Voit and EE) I would love to see him on post season roster for his bat (his glove is not that bad either). I really liked watching this season with the young kids like German, Urshela, Ford and Wade.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by bucky View Post
    I can not help but like this guy. I was always a fan (minors) and disappointed when SEA got him last year (happy we got him back) and if this continues (I know it's Voit and EE) I would love to see him on post season roster for his bat (his glove is not that bad either). I really liked watching this season with the young kids like German, Urshela, Ford and Wade.
    I wonder if he is ahead of Voit for next year or will they still hope that Bird comes back healthy?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Sixty one View Post
    I wonder if he is ahead of Voit for next year or will they still hope that Bird comes back healthy?
    I would think Voit ahead of Ford next year but could see an open competition and a roster that might have room for both.

I see Bird as being non-tendered in the off season and him looking to rebuild his career with a different organization.
    Baseball is life;

Thread Information