+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: 2019 Mike Ford Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by BillyJack View Post
    Ford needs to lose some serious weight.
    You are not a fan of the beer can physique? He is listed at 6'0 225lbs. If he has a lot of muscle, that isn't too bad - he is not Panda or Fielder. He has always been a big kid, but all that late night drive through food on the AA/AAA bus over the last few years probably hasn't helped him any. With that said, I think clubs have started paying closer attention to diet and training for these guys in the minor leagues.

ford has zero range he cannot hit or run he is a minor league player who has done nothing for the yanks why is he even here?

Quote Originally Posted by freebubba View Post
    You are not a fan of the beer can physique? He is listed at 6'0 225lbs. If he has a lot of muscle, that isn't too bad - he is not Panda or Fielder. He has always been a big kid, but all that late night drive through food on the AA/AAA bus over the last few years probably hasn't helped him any. With that said, I think clubs have started paying closer attention to diet and training for these guys in the minor leagues.

is this a joke the man probably is the slowest player in baseball..

Quote Originally Posted by nyyankeefan4life View Post
    ford has zero range he cannot hit or run he is a minor league player who has done nothing for the yanks why is he even here?
    Because all of the Yankees 1b are injured? I think he has been a bit unlucky at the plate in a pretty SSS. If you are desperate to get him off the team, I guess they could just rotate DJ/GIO and maybe even Tauch at 1b.

EDIT: Looks like a mute point as it seems Voit will be back sooner rather than later.
    Last edited by freebubba; 08-12-19 at 01:29 PM.

Yankees your 27 time WS Champs MyBoysKaosHavoK's Avatar

^^^This^^^

Ford belongs in a softball beer league. I hope he's not playing in game two today. Tired of watching him make outs....

is this a joke the man probably is the slowest player in baseball..
    I think Ford might be able to beat Morales in a race...
    In the Land of the Blind. The One Eyed Man is King...
    "Yankees are now a Fully Operational Dollar Store"

Mike Ford has 4 dingers already.

NYYF Legend

He became the first player ever to play a game in which he was a DH and pitched more than 1 inning.

Quote Originally Posted by EvanJ View Post
    He became the first player ever to play a game in which he was a DH and pitched more than 1 inning.

wow .
    "My guys are savages in the box!" - Aaron Boone

Small sample size. He's a much better hitter than he's shown so far at this level. His strikeout rate is low and he obviously has power. He was crushing AAA. Give it time and his stats should converge. As for his defense, it's really no worse than Voit's.

Quote Originally Posted by Day Trader View Post
    Small sample size. He's a much better hitter than he's shown so far at this level. His strikeout rate is low and he obviously has power. He was crushing AAA. Give it time and his stats should converge.
    Plus Mike is a LH hitter.

Quote Originally Posted by YanksBeatBraves1996 View Post
    Plus Mike is a LH hitter.
    3 knocks including a HR. With his low k rate and approach, I think he can be a serviceable MLB hitter, be it with the Yankees or another team.

I don't, notwithstanding a good game last night. I don't think he will ever be a regular on any major league club.

It is hard for me to understand how he cannot get himself in better shape, at least to look like an athlete rather than a beer leaguer.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by EvanJ View Post
    Some would say, "Impossible".

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post
    I don't, notwithstanding a good game last night. I don't think he will ever be a regular on any major league club.

It is hard for me to understand how he cannot get himself in better shape, at least to look like an athlete rather than a beer leaguer.
    Considering how physically fit these position players are these days he really sticks out like a sore thumb. You have to think his weight might be why he's been stuck in the minors till age 27. I think he will be a career AAA home run basher.
    http://vimel.ru/e6748

Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    Considering how physically fit these position players are these days he really sticks out like a sore thumb. You have to think his weight might be why he's been stuck in the minors till age 27. I think he will be a career AAA home run basher.
    Cashman should really have a talk with Mike Ford. Shape up or ship out, Mikey!

Ford has been given a decent opportunity. He has over 100 PAs and despite a few good knocks he's only managed to bat .200. Who knows if he'll ever get a chance like that again.
    Let the kids play.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    Ford has been given a decent opportunity. He has over 100 PAs and despite a few good knocks he's only managed to bat .200. Who knows if he'll ever get a chance like that again.
    .207 now ... with six home runs.

Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    He has been in the minors until age 27 because he is an undrafted no name guy out of Princeton. The guy has clearly worked tremendously hard to improve to the level where he is even in AAA and some injury fill in games in the big leagues. Check out the numbers he has put up this year in Scranton...They are outstanding. And despite early struggles, he has demonstrated power on the major league level (6 hrs in just over 100 PAs) and his OBP is 100 points higher than his unimpressive BA.
    You may be right that he has peaked as an AAA guy, but if he continues the trajectory he is on, he might become a starter on one of the 30 MLB teams..who knows. We have seen multiple Yankees do this over the past couple of years despite early struggles in MLB (Tauchman, Urshela) while others have not worked out (Wade).

As for his weight, you may be right. But it's also possible that weight that he has put on has helped increase his power. I simply don't know how his weight has tracked in the minors. He could continue to physically mature in his late 20s/early 30s as many players due and be able to maintain the weight with more of it becoming muscle.

100 plate appearances is pretty small, and he has only a .203 BABIP in this stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonn1997 View Post
    100 plate appearances is pretty small, and he has only a .203 BABIP in this stretch.
    He needed to take better advantage though, considering his age. It doesn't seem like he'll have a spot on the roster next year, but he could be a player on another team. He seems like another Ji-Man Choi type who is getting a lot of playing time.
    Let the kids play.

That might not be just a matter of bad luck.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    That might not be just a matter of bad luck.
    Agreed. It's too small a sample to know. He does have a good hard hit rate though.

He needed to take better advantage though, considering his age. It doesn't seem like he'll have a spot on the roster next year, but he could be a player on another team. He seems like another Ji-Man Choi type who is getting a lot of playing time.
    Arguable, he has taken advantage of it. They're probably looking much more at walk rate, strike out rate, hard hit and HR rates than at batting average or even OPS. I think Tauchman was hitting pretty badly after 100 plate appearances too but the underlying stats looked good.

NYYF Legend

Arguable, he has taken advantage of it. They're probably looking much more at walk rate, strike out rate, hard hit and HR rates than at batting average or even OPS. I think Tauchman was hitting pretty badly after 100 plate appearances too but the underlying stats looked good.
    I think he probably has opened the eyes to other American League teams for next year as a DH or as a first baseman. 👌

Quote Originally Posted by Sixty one View Post
    I think he probably has opened the eyes to other American League teams for next year as a DH or as a first baseman. ��

agreed. if the market isnt bad again, maybe he can make use of that
    "My guys are savages in the box!" - Aaron Boone

Thread Information