+ Reply to Thread
    NYYF Legend

Proposal For Fan Interference Called by Replays

I think that if fan interference is called by a replay, it should never be called a catch if it required a jump. Neither Michael Kay nor David Cone brought up the possibility of a double, but that's what I think Gleyber Torres's ball should have been called. Ground rule doubles are normally called for balls that go off the field, but if a hit rolls into foul territory and a fan reaches over and picks it up, it is a ground rule double, and I think the same logic should apply to balls in the air that may or may not have been caught without fan interference. Cone said that fan interference is an out regardless of whether the ball would have been in the seats and regardless of whether the ball would have been caught. Is that true? Are there written rules about replays? If what Cone said is a rule, it's ridiculous. Calling fan interference should never make it worse for the batting team than if the stadium was empty.

NYYF Triple Crown

Re: Proposal For Fan Interference Called by Replays

I think since it was an out, if there were a batter on 3rd the umpire could allow that run to score as if it were a sac fly, assuming fewer than 2 outs.

The challenge if an empty stadium, the fielder should also be given the opportunity to catch the ball. Ive never seen an outfielder who didnt jump up to catch a ball if it were necessary.

the proposed jump distinction is a good, simple one.

kay did indeed later float the possibility of ruling it a double but then considered that maybe the umps didn't want to have to figure out whether to have the middle runner (the one originally on 1st) end up on 3rd or scoring at home. i don't think that the desire to avoid making a second tough decision should influence the first decision, but kay was only speculating anyways
    Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. Yogi Berra

NYYF Legend

My feeling is that if the fielder had a good chance to catch a ball in the judgement of the umpire, even if he had to jump for the ball and it would have gone in the seats if he missed the ball, the fact that a fan was responsible for him not catching the ball, then I am on the umpires side. An out.

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post
    My feeling is that if the fielder had a good chance to catch a ball in the judgement of the umpire, even if he had to jump for the ball and it would have gone in the seats if he missed the ball, the fact that a fan was responsible for him not catching the ball, then I am on the umpires side. An out.

Andy
    Agree. Outfielders jump for balls. We would be annoyed if they didn't. Same for Infielders. And Catchers. And pitchers. Every fielder needs to be able to jump to catch a ball.

Andy
    Also, if a fan reaches out into the playing area, there should be a certain bias against that fan and towards the fielder.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Also, if a fan reaches out into the playing area, there should be a certain bias against that fan and towards the fielder.
    ...and the fan should be punished. Severely. Jail time for sure and not just a month's stay. Hard labor, in a prison. Like smashing rocks with a pick ax. In the cold. Without a coat. And no water until all the rocks are broken into bits smaller that a pea. Then they need to carry the pea sized rocks one at a time to a bin that's a quarter of a mile away from the rock pile. And they can't stop until all the pea sized rocks are in the bin. I don't care how late it is or how long it takes.

They maybe they won't reach out for the ball.
    No Yankees to the All Star Game, please. Let them all get 4 days of rest so they can play more real games.

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    ...and the fan should be punished. Severely. Jail time for sure and not just a month's stay. Hard labor, in a prison. Like smashing rocks with a pick ax. In the cold. Without a coat. And no water until all the rocks are broken into bits smaller that a pea. Then they need to carry the pea sized rocks one at a time to a bin that's a quarter of a mile away from the rock pile. And they can't stop until all the pea sized rocks are in the bin. I don't care how late it is or how long it takes.

Also, don5 let them use a translator. Enough coddling.

NYYF Legend

Also, don't let them use a translator. Enough coddling.
    Let me know when you get back from punishment.
    No Yankees to the All Star Game, please. Let them all get 4 days of rest so they can play more real games.

NYYF Legend

absolutely

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

NYYF Legend

And he must attend an audience with the president

Andy

NYYF Legend

And he must attend an audience with the president

Andy
    Andy, in this Country --- Cruel and unusual punishment is not allowed. You sir, have gone over the line.

NYYF Legend

Is your mind right, Luke?

NYYF Legend

Andy, in this Country --- Cruel and unusual punishment is not allowed. You sir, have gone over the line.

I truly apologize. I realize now that my thoughts were over the top. No one should be made to appear in his presence.

Andy

I truly apologize. I realize now that my thoughts were over the top. No one should be made to appear in his presence.

Andy
    Id be proud to meet President Trump.
    NYYFans FBB: Evil Empire

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. Yogi Berra

NYYF Legend

Good for you, and I hope you do, for me, I'd opt out.

Andy

Heres my wonderful friend Stan, or Steve, he said either one is fine, he goes by both names.

NYYF Legend

I'd be proud to kick him in the balls. So we have similiar feelings on meeting Trump.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    I'd be proud to kick him in the balls. So we have similiar feelings on meeting Trump.
    Not that I don't have faith in the secret service but now that I have that info, if by some crazy chance you and I were together waiting to meet him, I'd shake his hand and then kick you in the nuts before you had the chance. With all due respect. Which would probably turn out better for you as the secret service would do much worse.

Not that I don't have faith in the secret service but now that I have that info, if by some crazy chance you and I were together waiting to meet him, I'd shake his hand and then kick you in the nuts before you had the chance. With all due respect. Which would probably turn out better for you as the secret service would do much worse.
    The secret service would undoubtedly throw you to the ground and arrest you. They aren't going to let someone standing next to the President just start kicking people out of nowhere. See you in 20 years, Steve.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

The secret service would undoubtedly throw you to the ground and arrest you. They aren't going to let someone standing next to the President just start kicking people out of nowhere. See you in 20 years, Steve.
    Trump would pardon.

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    Trump would pardon.
    And invite me to the oval office for McDonalds. It would be awesome.

NYYF Legend

And invite me to the oval office for McDonalds. It would be awesome.
    yum. cold big macs and soggy fries. sounds par for the Trump course.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Thread Information