+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 116
  1. #76

    Re: 2019 Greg Bird Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    IIRC, Mattingly had a couple of pretty good years before he hurt his back.
    Yep, a couple of decent years

  2. #77

    Re: 2019 Greg Bird Performance Thread

    Bird is all but done, I feel he needs a couple years in the minors to figure things out, and at the age of 26 he could make something happen. His glove, from what I can recall is awesome, but batting .210 and hitting 20HRs in MLB is not needed. I believe he is a Yankee for 2 more years, earning over $1M for some reason, but make room on the 40man roster for someone else.

    Best case scenario, he gets healthy, starts hitting and the Yanks can trade him for some prospects.

  3. #78
    Addicted Member
    Bauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Toronto

    Re: 2019 Greg Bird Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by freebubba View Post
    Yep, a couple of decent years
    I assume you two have your tongues in your cheeks.



    As I remember those years, there were people saying he was putting up Dimaggio type numbers. E.g., https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...tting_standard


    That back injury was catastrophic for his career. I hate thinking back on it.

  4. #79
    Addicted Member
    Bauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Toronto

    Re: 2019 Greg Bird Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by IAyankee View Post
    Bird is all but done, I feel he needs a couple years in the minors to figure things out, and at the age of 26 he could make something happen. His glove, from what I can recall is awesome, but batting .210 and hitting 20HRs in MLB is not needed. I believe he is a Yankee for 2 more years, earning over $1M for some reason, but make room on the 40man roster for someone else.

    Best case scenario, he gets healthy, starts hitting and the Yanks can trade him for some prospects.

    I wonder what the Yankees think. Man, they're paying some real dough to this guy. It's possible that Voit's second half of the season may have the Yankees keeping their options open on Bird for a while. At least until trips getting out of a cab and winds up out for half the season. That's the real problem with him. Never around long enough to establish his hitting game.

  5. #80
    Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Virginia

    Re: 2019 Greg Bird Performance Thread

    Bird's injury history has been very frustrating. That being said, I think the Yankees would be crazy to non-tender him. The risk-reward is in their favor if he'd only cost just over $1M. He still has the potential to OPS around .900 and provide much needed left handed balance to the lineup.

  6. #81
    Addicted Member
    Bauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Toronto

    Re: 2019 Greg Bird Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Strategerie View Post
    Bird's injury history has been very frustrating. That being said, I think the Yankees would be crazy to non-tender him. The risk-reward is in their favor if he'd only cost just over $1M. He still has the potential to OPS around .900 and provide much needed left handed balance to the lineup.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bauer View Post
    I wonder what the Yankees think. Man, they're paying some real dough to this guy. It's possible that Voit's second half of the season may have the Yankees keeping their options open on Bird for a while. At least until trips getting out of a cab and winds up out for half the season. That's the real problem with him. Never around long enough to establish his hitting game.

    It's what I mean by keeping their options open. That "Stadium swing" of his is just too tempting to ignore. Do nothing to ditch him this season. Watch. See what happens.

  7. #82

    Re: 2019 Greg Bird Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Bauer View Post
    It's what I mean by keeping their options open. That "Stadium swing" of his is just too tempting to ignore. Do nothing to ditch him this season. Watch. See what happens.
    Very true on the LH bat, put him in AAA and see what he can do. Arb in 2021 and FreeAgent in 2022...time is ticking for him to get it together. I have seen some glimpses of a great hitter but they are few and far between.

  8. #83
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: 2019 Greg Bird Performance Thread

    The 40 man spot is more valuable than Bird at this point. If they can’t deal him for something that doesn’t need to be on the 40 man roster or IFA$ I expect him to be no tendered.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

  9. #84
    NYYF Legend

    longtimeyankeefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

    Re: 2019 Greg Bird Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by IAyankee View Post
    Very true on the LH bat, put him in AAA and see what he can do. Arb in 2021 and FreeAgent in 2022...time is ticking for him to get it together. I have seen some glimpses of a great hitter but they are few and far between.
    I have been a Greg Bird supporter over the last few seasons, but IMO, it is time to move on. At best, the Yankees are only going to get a bit piece for him, so I think a non-tender on him is the best move.

    If some team calls up and offers pretty much anything (maybe IFA money), Cashman should shout "DEAL" while calling MLB to report the trade.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

  10. #85
    NYYF Legend

    Donnybaseball72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Proud Yankee fan in Red Sox Nation

    Re: 2019 Greg Bird Performance Thread

    Just curious, as Bird is arbitration eligible and if the Yankees dare take him to a hearing what exactly does his agent say to the arbitrator?
    http://vimel.ru/e6748

  11. #86
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: 2019 Greg Bird Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    Just curious, as Bird is arbitration eligible and if the Yankees dare take him to a hearing what exactly does his agent say to the arbitrator?
    Even if they do he's going to get a raise but not a big one. And it's not about money, that's nominal. It's about a 40 man roaster spot. Is exposing one more player to Rule 5 worth keeping Bird in the hopes that this is the year he reaches his potential and outperforms both Voit & Ford?
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

  12. #87
    NYYF Legend

    ClownPickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    San Diego

    Re: 2019 Greg Bird Performance Thread

    You either non-tender him or sign and trade.
    Calmer than you are

    7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

  13. #88

    Re: 2019 Greg Bird Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    You either non-tender him or sign and trade.
    Yea a no doubt non-tender unless he can possibly be traded, doubtful

  14. #89
    NYYF Legend

    longtimeyankeefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

    Re: 2019 Greg Bird Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    You either non-tender him or sign and trade.
    Thus far in the Dominican Winter League, Bird has shown absolutely nothing to suggest he is back (.125/.300/.125/.425, admittedly in 24AB/30PA).

    IMO,the Yankees need to make their decision on Bird prior to the Rule 5 roster decisions - the ability to protect another prospect outweighs pretty much any gain the Yankees would gain by keeping him on the 40-man roster to make good in spring training or go to AAA (I think he still has options that could be used, assuming he stays healthy).

    Sometimes, when the fishing is no good, you have to cut bait and move on to another spot.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

  15. #90
    Addicted Member
    Bauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Toronto

    Re: 2019 Greg Bird Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    Thus far in the Dominican Winter League, Bird has shown absolutely nothing to suggest he is back (.125/.300/.125/.425, admittedly in 24AB/30PA).

    IMO,the Yankees need to make their decision on Bird prior to the Rule 5 roster decisions - the ability to protect another prospect outweighs pretty much any gain the Yankees would gain by keeping him on the 40-man roster to make good in spring training or go to AAA (I think he still has options that could be used, assuming he stays healthy).

    Sometimes, when the fishing is no good, you have to cut bait and move on to another spot.

    They've played 20 games, but Bird has been in only 7. They've got another first baseman who is hitting over .300 and whose OPS is .826 to Bird's lowly number. It will be interesting to see how this Dominican visit plays out. They've got a 50-game winter schedule ending in December, followed by some sort of round-robin playoff. In the best circumstances, it SEEMS they might play over 70 games (playoffs included). At the moment, though, Bird doesn't appear to be a factor for them.

  16. #91
    Addicted Member
    Bauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Toronto

    Re: 2019 Greg Bird Performance Thread

    Apparently Bird has been released from the Gigantes down in the Dominican league, if my high school Spanish isn't misleading me about this headline: Gigantes del Cibao despidió al primera base de Yankees, Greg Bird https://www.albat.com/eldugout/Gigan...1111-0030.html



    If so, yet another year to forget for poor Bird.

  17. #92

    Re: 2019 Greg Bird Performance Thread

    Cut him and resign him to minor league contract. No need to pay him or keep in on 40 man.
    [SIZE=3]NYY Triforce[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Phil Hughes[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Joba Chamberlain[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Ian Kennedy[/SIZE]

  18. #93
    NYYF Legend

    longtimeyankeefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

    Re: 2019 Greg Bird Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ppa79 View Post
    Cut him and resign him to minor league contract. No need to pay him or keep in on 40 man.
    I suspect that if the Yankees DFA him, he won't be around to sign him to a mL contract. I can see another team claiming him, as I believe he still has options left.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

  19. #94
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: 2019 Greg Bird Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    I suspect that if the Yankees DFA him, he won't be around to sign him to a mL contract. I can see another team claiming him, as I believe he still has options left.
    And I suspect this is exactly what will happen, and probably sooner rather than later.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

  20. #95

    Re: 2019 Greg Bird Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    Just curious, as Bird is arbitration eligible and if the Yankees dare take him to a hearing what exactly does his agent say to the arbitrator?
    Agent says that the Yankees misdiagnosed his injuries and screwed up his recovery.

  21. #96
    NYYF Legend

    Donnybaseball72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Proud Yankee fan in Red Sox Nation

    Re: 2019 Greg Bird Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Obnoxio View Post
    Agent says that the Yankees misdiagnosed his injuries and screwed up his recovery.
    And how does that win him more money? Anyway I think he is a non-tender candidate.
    http://vimel.ru/e6748

  22. #97
    Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Camdenton, Missouri

    Re: 2019 Greg Bird Performance Thread

    Between Bird and Ford....I'll take Ford...I think he earned a shot based on last year's performance...plus for some reason he reminds me of Yogi.
    “Being powerful is like being a lady...if you have to say you are...you aren’t.” - Margaret Thatcher

  23. #98
    Addicted Member
    Bauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Toronto

    Re: 2019 Greg Bird Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by trandy View Post
    Between Bird and Ford....I'll take Ford...I think he earned a shot based on last year's performance...plus for some reason he reminds me of Yogi.

    More plate discipline than Yogi. Of course, Yogi's indiscipline at the plate was surely one of the reasons that made him what Paul Richards once called "the most dangerous hitter in the game from the 7th inning on." Man, that hatchet chop stroke taken against high pitches sent more than one into that really short porch in right field of the old Stadium.

  24. #99

    Re: 2019 Greg Bird Performance Thread

    With Ford, voit and possibly Andújar as options for 1b , I don’t see how bird could still have a spot on the 40 man roster. Especially when that spot can be used for Diaz or another outfielder instead. I think the ship has sailed on bird due to injuries and it’s time to move on .

  25. #100
    Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Dallas, Tejas

    Re: 2019 Greg Bird Performance Thread

    Serious question, even outside of injuries, can he still play? Let's assume he took a magic pill that would prevent injuries ever again. It's a super competitive, very very very fine tuning technical sport.
    Can You just not play baseball for basically 3 years and come right back into it.

    Same thing with Elsbury. I don't think anyone will say he's not a very good player when healthy. If he takes the same magic pill, is he still any good?
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts