+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 12 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 331
  1. #26

    Re: James Paxton performance thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    he will be a top 20 by the end of the year.
    Hope you're right. But IMO, he has to log more than 160IP to be that. I'm not just going to blindly go off WAR w/o context.

    e: I think he has to at least offer 180 innings (a la Snell) to be considered a top starter this year.

  2. #27
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: James Paxton performance thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Melancynic View Post
    Where are all those posters who vilified me when I said it was comical to call Paxton a top-20 starter and that he hasn't proven it?

    *crickets*
    I think if he stays healthy when all is said and done he will be inside the top 20 fairly easy.
    He needs to bring his BBs down and do a better job limiting the HR ball and he'll be fine.


    I don't think I "vilified" you but I was a big fan of the Paxton trade and still am.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

  3. #28
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: James Paxton performance thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Melancynic View Post
    Hope you're right. But IMO, he has to log more than 160IP to be that. I'm not just going to blindly go off WAR w/o context.
    Sure health and staying on the field has always been a big issue for him and those that were against the trade usually rightfully point out this part of career to date.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

  4. #29

    Re: James Paxton performance thread

    Welcome back Sonny Gray!

  5. #30
    Do not vex me mortal Hitman23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Long Island

    Re: James Paxton performance thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Melancynic View Post
    Hope you're right. But IMO, he has to log more than 160IP to be that. I'm not just going to blindly go off WAR w/o context.

    e: I think he has to at least offer 180 innings (a la Snell) to be considered a top starter this year.
    I agree with those parameters.
    NYYFans FBB: Evil Empire

  6. #31

    Re: James Paxton performance thread

    I consider Paxton the team's biggest worry now. He's been worthless. Mediocre and short outings each time. I mean he was supposed to be at least the team's #2 starter. Heck he was his previous team's #1. Very concerning. I'm bordering on writing him off mainly because he's shown absolutely nothing. Sigh.

  7. #32
    NYYF Legend

    smckdwn989's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    58.77 Miles From The Stadium

    Re: James Paxton performance thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Slickman View Post
    I consider Paxton the team's biggest worry now. He's been worthless. Mediocre and short outings each time. I mean he was supposed to be at least the team's #2 starter. Heck he was his previous team's #1. Very concerning. I'm bordering on writing him off mainly because he's shown absolutely nothing. Sigh.
    it's April 11th, breath. Calm down. It's going to be okay. No need to write a guy off 2 weeks into the season.
    Last edited by smckdwn989; 04-17-19 at 09:40 AM.

  8. #33

    Re: James Paxton performance thread

    Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    Last night, I just wish he could have pitched in Houston.
    James Paxton did pitch in Houston's Minute Maid Park last night.

  9. #34

    Re: James Paxton performance thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Slickman View Post
    I consider Paxton the team's biggest worry now. He's been worthless. Mediocre and short outings each time. I mean he was supposed to be at least the team's #2 starter. Heck he was his previous team's #1. Very concerning. I'm bordering on writing him off mainly because he's shown absolutely nothing. Sigh.
    J.A. Happ is equally worrisome in his previous two starts.

  10. #35
    NYYF Legend

    JDPNYY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    I feel your pain more than my own

    Re: James Paxton performance thread

    Quote Originally Posted by smckdwn989 View Post
    it's April 11th, breath. Calm down. It's going to be okay. No need to right a guy off 2 weeks into the season.
    Right.

    However, how many pitchers need to come here and get worse, or go somewhere else and get better before the inept Front Office realizes that coaching may be an issue.

    The Yankees are wasting David Cone in the broadcast booth.
    Just win!

  11. #36

    Re: James Paxton performance thread

    Coney, a former standout pitcher, would have been a better manager to replace Binder G, however Cashman would never be able to control and manipulate Cone.

  12. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by YanksBeatBraves1996 View Post
    James Paxton did pitch in Houston's Minute Maid Park last night.
    lol I should have said "play for NY." My bad.

  13. #38
    NYYF MVP


    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Chicago, IL

    Re: James Paxton performance thread

    I'm giving Paxton more time.

    However, his 1st 3 starts have been meh. You would like to see a guy step up when your ace is down. Hasn't happened.

  14. #39
    Do not vex me mortal Hitman23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Long Island

    Re: James Paxton performance thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JBursch23 View Post
    I'm giving Paxton more time.

    However, his 1st 3 starts have been meh. You would like to see a guy step up when your ace is down. Hasn't happened.
    Then what. He's fired?
    NYYFans FBB: Evil Empire

  15. #40

    Re: James Paxton performance thread

    If Paxton has a mediocre year, there's no way pajama Larry should continue as pitching coach. Obviously let's see where things net out, but while the organization seems to love him at some point his failures have got to catchup with him.

    Half of me wonders if its almost worth a mediocre year to force Cash to let Boone and staff go and put more pressure on Hal to spend on Cole and/or Rendon. There's an argument that the worst thing that could happen to this team is winning the division by default (Red Sox down year and Rays don't sustain their start) and then getting bounced in the first or second round. Last year the narrative was "we won 100 games", winning the division despite all the injuries would be enough for the team to not make any changes. Although this all too premature, hopefully they can do something this year despite a bad manager/coaching staff.

    And then there's the question of who would replace them and would they be any better. Is Beltran (the likely favorite) definitely significantly better than Boone? For pitching coach I think we'd all hire David Cone tomorrow, but don't know that Cash would or that his intelligent comments on the air qualify him.

  16. #41
    NYYF Legend

    JDPNYY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    I feel your pain more than my own

    Re: James Paxton performance thread

    Quote Originally Posted by primetime714 View Post
    If Paxton has a mediocre year, there's no way pajama Larry should continue as pitching coach. Obviously let's see where things net out, but while the organization seems to love him at some point his failures have got to catchup with him.

    Half of me wonders if its almost worth a mediocre year to force Cash to let Boone and staff go and put more pressure on Hal to spend on Cole and/or Rendon. There's an argument that the worst thing that could happen to this team is winning the division by default (Red Sox down year and Rays don't sustain their start) and then getting bounced in the first or second round. Last year the narrative was "we won 100 games", winning the division despite all the injuries would be enough for the team to not make any changes. Although this all too premature, hopefully they can do something this year despite a bad manager/coaching staff.

    And then there's the question of who would replace them and would they be any better. Is Beltran (the likely favorite) definitely significantly better than Boone? For pitching coach I think we'd all hire David Cone tomorrow, but don't know that Cash would or that his intelligent comments on the air qualify him.
    There's no way pajama Larry should continue as pitching coach.
    Just win!

  17. #42
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Jacksonville, Fl

    Re: James Paxton performance thread

    He has been outstanding tonight. We need to see more of this.

  18. #43
    The Death Star is Sputtering Zimmer's Helmet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Earth

    Re: James Paxton performance thread

    Carlos Beltran for pitching coach.

    Itís okay, Larry - you can go back to sleep....
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

  19. #44
    NYYF Legend

    Snatch Catch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    CA

    Re: James Paxton performance thread


    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

  20. #45
    The Death Star is Sputtering Zimmer's Helmet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Earth

    Re: James Paxton performance thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post

    He earned his pinstripes tonight - masterful performance in his rivalry debut.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

  21. #46

    Re: James Paxton performance thread

    Don't you all just love that Chris Sale is 0-4 with a ghastly 8.37 ERA?

  22. #47

    Re: James Paxton performance thread

    Quote Originally Posted by YanksBeatBraves1996 View Post
    Don't you all just love that Chris Sale is 0-4 with a ghastly 8.37 ERA?
    YES! My most disliked player in all of baseball.

  23. #48

    Re: James Paxton performance thread

    velocity looked really good, he's back to form hopefully

  24. #49
    Member
    SevvyWave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Virginia Beach

    Re: James Paxton performance thread



    This curveball let me know how good Paxton can be. Love the velo. Love the slider. But being able to break out this gem in the 7th with his velo and slider.... man, he may have better stuff than Severino. Especially as a lefty.

  25. #50

    Re: James Paxton performance thread

    Quote Originally Posted by YanksBeatBraves1996 View Post
    Don't you all just love that Chris Sale is 0-4 with a ghastly 8.37 ERA?
    Lol

    Obviously, he's going to improve, but this definitely not what the Red Sox signed up for when they resigned him.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts