+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: James Paxton performance threadGame

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    He's done well enough against top of the order hitters the second time through, so maybe, just possibly, it's taking him time to get that troublesome knee loosened up.

If that's the case, giving him an opener will probably just defer the problem to the next inning.
    Whatever the reason is, I'd rather he struggle against the bottom of the order instead of the meat of the order. The odds are more in his favor that the bottom of the order will do less damage.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

NYYF Legend

Re: James Paxton performance thread

https://www.pinstripealley.com/2019/...me-away-splits

This season, the southpaw owns a 3.75 ERA and opponents are slashing a mere .225/.310/.405 when heís in pinstripes. When heís not wearing them though, he sports a 5.21 ERA and batters are slashing .312/.355/.588. He has also allowed 10 homers in 60 home innings, compared to 11 homers in 48.1 innings on the road.
    James Paxton Home/Away

StatHomeAway
    StatHomeAway
    FIP4.334.45
    BABIP.284.405
    HR/91.502.05
    Hard Con. %36.4%41.6%
    wOBA.305.377
    James Paxtonís number home/away number comparison.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

If Paxton requires one inning to loosen up his knee, let him throw more warmup pitches in the pen.

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    If it's about getting his knee loosened up, then that's on the Yankees' staff to ensure he's properly loosened up before the game.
    None of us know the cause. But I think it makes more sense to see if he can work this out than to give him a crutch. I might feel differently if we were in a tight division race.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonn1997 View Post
    None of us know the cause. But I think it makes more sense to see if he can work this out than to give him a crutch. I might feel differently if we were in a tight division race.
    How many more consecutive bad first inning starts should Boone give Paxton?

Quote Originally Posted by YanksBeatBraves1996 View Post
    How many more consecutive bad first inning starts should Boone give Paxton?
    Youíre talking about a sample of what, 20 innings? Thatís so little. Give him the rest of the season. Even then, itís a small sample.

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

Just as certain as death, Paxton once more gave up runs in the 1st inning! Yet Rothschild and Boone insist on him starting the game instead of using a reliever until the middle of the 2nd so Paxton gets to pitch to the lower rung hitters.

If Paxton continues this trend and he starts Game 3 of the playoffs, it's like climbing Mt. Everest with a 200 lb backpack.
    I doubt it's the first inning boogie monster. It's not the first inning itself- it's his first pitches. He's going to have a first 20 pitches no matter when he comes in.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

Quote Originally Posted by Bonn1997 View Post
    Youíre talking about a sample of what, 20 innings? Thatís so little. Give him the rest of the season. Even then, itís a small sample.
    It's 22 data points. The results are so stark and consistent that no, you don't ignore it and cast it aside as SSS. While acquiring the first 60 outs (18% of total) in his starts, he has given up 45% of the runs he's allowed and 52% of his HR all year. This issue also has the effect of taxing the bullpen, accelerates the turn over of the opposing lineup so they get more looks at him and causes the offense to play from behind consistently.

I'm not saying they're not doing anything about it; they may be and just not talking about it publicly. And I'm not sure what the answer is frankly. But I hope they're not as nonchalant about it as you are.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes View Post
    I doubt it's the first inning boogie monster. It's not the first inning itself- it's his first pitches. He's going to have a first 20 pitches no matter when he comes in.
    I don't know the solution, but it's not to just trot him out there and hope it solves itself. Have they tried having him pitch a simulated inning prior to the game? Change up his game prep? Anything?

And to the point of the OP you replied to... if you are correct that his first 20 pitches must suck, let's have him throw them to the bottom of the lineup. He'd be like Exhibit A for the Opener business case if what you're saying is true.

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    I don't know the solution, but it's not to just trot him out there and hope it solves itself. Have they tried having him pitch a simulated inning prior to the game? Change up his game prep? Anything?

And to the point of the OP you replied to... if you are correct that his first 20 pitches must suck, let's have him throw them to the bottom of the lineup. He'd be like Exhibit A for the Opener business case if what you're saying is true.
    This may be something that only the Rays would have the guts to do (ironically enough), but say you know a team is planning to employ an opener against you, do you "adjust" your lineup a bit?

Hear me out, I realize you the logical notion is to have your best hitters face the inferior reliever, but baseball is getting weirder and weirder. Maybe a team decides its lesser hitters can do enough damage to the inferior reliever and still force him out after one inning, leaving the starter who struggles in his first inning of work, to face the "top of the lineup" hitters anyway? I dunno. Again, I'm not saying its probable, but who would've thought 5 years ago that teams would have planned bullpen days?

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    It's 22 data points. The results are so stark and consistent that no, you don't ignore it and cast it aside as SSS. While acquiring the first 60 outs (18% of total) in his starts, he has given up 45% of the runs he's allowed and 52% of his HR all year. This issue also has the effect of taxing the bullpen, accelerates the turn over of the opposing lineup so they get more looks at him and causes the offense to play from behind consistently.

I'm not saying they're not doing anything about it; they may be and just not talking about it publicly. And I'm not sure what the answer is frankly. But I hope they're not as nonchalant about it as you are.
    For most pitching stats, thatís like one-tenth of the sample size youíd want for a stable sample according to Fangraphs. Iím not saying ignore the numbers or make no adjustments. Iím saying itís premature to give him an opener crutch. Even IF itís not a small sample fluke, Iíd rather give him much more time to work this out.

Despite Paxton's persistent first inning miseries, the dude is striving to win his fifth straight game Friday night at Dodgers Stadium.

NYYF Triple Crown

Despite Paxton's persistent first inning miseries, the dude is striving to win his fifth straight game Friday night at Dodgers Stadium.
    Should be a great game. He is up against RYU (NL Cy). This will be the first time I will see him. (Interesting to see the calls balls.)

My question. I get to only 1-3 games a year at Yankee Stadium because I live so far away. I did not see Paxton warming up in the pen before the game (Mo's Day) but throwing in center field (90 ft) moving to edge of right field and then back to center field. A lot of pitchers have different routines. Does he warm up in the pen before the game? (I do agree with others posts trying an opener with him in Sept.)

After OAK series - I am looking forward going to the 8/31 with OAK game.

What a great game. What a performance... Maybe the best pitched game I watched this year and against a powerful lineup. I love the cutter(my fav) but his FB and knuckle curve (? - I think this was Moose's go to pitch too) were all working. Congratulations on the gem. Like Coney said a lot of %whiff.
    Last edited by bucky; 08-24-19 at 07:14 AM. Reason: last night's game WOW

When the A's visit Yankee Stadium at the end of August, Yankee pride demands a big payback against this possible ALDS opponent.

Cant trust it but talented enough to be hopeful, come October

NYYF Legend

Man, we need that version of him

So much for needing an opener!

So he's been throwing a lot more curves. Was this all Rothschild's idea or somebody else?
    Let the kids play.

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    So he's been throwing a lot more curves. Was this all Rothschild's idea or somebody else?
    It's something positive, so according to the experts on this forum there is no possible way Rothschild had anything to do with it.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    I think I read that he started looking at his prior years, so presumably ignoring what Rothschild told him to do up until that point. But who knows what was said by who.

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    It's something positive, so according to the experts on this forum there is no possible way Rothschild had anything to do with it.

I think the idea came to Larry in a dream while snoozing on the bench.

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

Last 7 games (Aug and Sept):

42.1 IP (about 6.0IP/S), 14 ER, 51k, 25H, 15BB - 2.97 ERA, 0.945 WHIP .168 BAA
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

Please just keep it up!
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    Please just keep it up!
    Thatís what she said.

Thread Information