+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 12 ... LastLast
    Devoted Member

Re: 2019 Domingo Germán Performance Thread

Unbelievable how good he's been. I look forward to the upcoming discussions of the "German rules" and how they manage his innings later in the year.

Quote Originally Posted by YFIB View Post
    Unbelievable how good he's been. I look forward to the upcoming discussions of the "German rules" and how they manage his innings later in the year.
    Honestly, I pray no rules come about. He's turning 27 this year, he's already had his TJ surgery. This is the time to see if he can be an innings eater as well as a strikeout pitcher. Not finding out if your guy that looks like an ace can actually be the ace would be a huge mistake.

He's on pace for 190 innings pitched. That sounds perfect to me.

NYYF Triple Crown

Not me. I really like him. If I remember correctly, I always thought "Joba Rules" were a mistake (I think the injury hurt him more) and just take him out when his pitches are weakening (getting hit or walks). Even if it's 50 pitches or the 3rd but too many over 100 I don't like. A pitch count like 80 I feel would be a mistake because if he is pitching well let him continue. I thought Boone did a good job last night and Germán was outstanding. I do feel the initial Boone plan was Germán - Cessa but it never happened.

Do the "German rules" involve the annexation of the Sudetenland?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Look at you with the German humor.
    In "Kids in the Hall" I trust

Larry Rothschild may finally be earning his keep. Monitor young Domingo German closely and tell Aaron Boone when he ought to warm up a reliever in the pen.

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    Look at you with the German humor.
    Too soon?

NYYF Legend

Too soon?
    Never.
    In "Kids in the Hall" I trust

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by just-blaze View Post
    Curious about the slight velocity drop. Is he “saving” the extra gas for spots, took a little off for better command, or maybe it’s the SSS early in the season?

Regardless, it’s still enough and his secondary stuff is so good that command of his FB is more important than having a little extra oomph in it.

Keep up the good work muchacho. You’ve been a godsend so far.
    I wouldn't read into the velocity or command too much for yesterday game considered the weather.

"The wind was really bad. I think it was actually affecting the way the ball was moving, even from a pitcher's standpoint, which is pretty rare," Twins catcher Jason Castro said. "You don't see wind affect the way a pitcher's ball moves. That was tough."
    http://www.espn.com/mlb/recap?gameId...kage,mobile,en

Both he and Sanchez did a great job.

NYYF Legend

My thanks to whichever mod restored the accent on Germán in the thread title. Now 'Germán rules' becomes less intimidating.

...if only we could get rid of 'Performance' and 'Thread' I would be content.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    My thanks to whichever mod restored the accent on Germán in the thread title. Now 'Germán rules' becomes less intimidating.

...if only we could get rid of 'Performance' and 'Thread' I would be content.
    We could add "official," if you'd like.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by SevvyWave View Post
    Honestly, I pray no rules come about. He's turning 27 this year, he's already had his TJ surgery. This is the time to see if he can be an innings eater as well as a strikeout pitcher. Not finding out if your guy that looks like an ace can actually be the ace would be a huge mistake.

I think they will do something around the All-Star break, to try and get him 10-11 days off. Similar to what they did with Sevy last year. Maybe they can do it again around mid-to late August. That would then keep him closer to 180, which I hope is within his range.

Then, all bets are off come the post-season.

NYYF Legend

Aus, außer, bei, mit, nach, seit, von, zu ALWAYS take the dative.

I sure hope Cashman won't do a Stephen Strasburg on German come playoffs time.

NYYF Legend

http://www.espn.com/mlb/statistics has the top five in each league in seven categories without going to big lists. Of BA, HR, RBI, wins, ERA, saves, and WAR, German is the only player who leads the AL in a category and is on a team that made the playoffs last year. German is tied with Jose Berrios and Tyler Glasnow for the most wins in the AL with 6, and Zack Greinke leads the nL with 5.

German has certainly mitigated the effect of not having Sevy in the lineup.

NYYF Legend

He was lucky to escape with the win last night. His command was poor and there were plenty of “at em” balls that could have easily been XBH. That was his big problem last year. He gets wild in the zone at times. It will be interesting to see how he rebounds in his next start.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

The Death Star is Sputtering Zimmer's Helmet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by YanksBeatBraves1996 View Post
    I sure hope Cashman won't do a Stephen Strasburg on German come playoffs time.
    I would be greatly disappointed, but not surprised, if he did.

He’s already talking about monitoring and controlling his innings, when there is zero evidence that doing so has any benefit for pitchers over 25-years-old.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

In Game 2 today so far, German has tossed four shutout innings and has a two-run lead. He needs one more scoreless or a 1-run inning to be inline for his 8th W.

NYYF Cy Young

Someone who understands sabermetrics better than I:

Is there anything in German's underlying numbers that suggests that he ISN'T due for a huge correction soon? I'm seeing a huge disparity between FIP and xFIP, underscored by an unsustainably tiny 7.7% HR/FB rate.
    Don't have a clue

Quote Originally Posted by Stache Fan View Post
    Someone who understands sabermetrics better than I:

Is there anything in German's underlying numbers that suggests that he ISN'T due for a huge correction soon? I'm seeing a huge disparity between FIP and xFIP, underscored by an unsustainably tiny 7.7% HR/FB rate.

FIP uses actual home run rate while xFIP uses projected home run rate. I see his HR/FB rate at 12.9% for 2019, which is below league average, but puts him tied for 11th in MLB. Hitters are just not making good contact off him right now. If he keep pitching the way he has been, I could see that rate being somewhat sustainable.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    He was lucky to escape with the win last night. His command was poor and there were plenty of “at em” balls that could have easily been XBH. That was his big problem last year. He gets wild in the zone at times. It will be interesting to see how he rebounds in his next start.
    I would say he rebounded quite nicely.

At 8-1 to lead the Majors in wins, German is the frontrunner to start the All Stars game for the AL.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by SevvyWave View Post

I think a lot will depend on who returns & how after the ASG. If Monty comes back and performs, a sixth starter; if Seve comes back and performs, a seventh starter.

In that case, I can see Germán being used as a scheduled follower to CC and/or Monty - let either of them go four or five, then Germán for a couple of innings (or vice versa) to get to the tail end of the bullpen.

I would try to keep him on a regular schedule, rather than having him up and down in the pen, though. It might be tough keeping an extra starter arm in the pen, so it might be better to do so at SWB, but right now, he deserves the MLB pay.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

You are advocating returning German to the bullpen eventually.

Thread Information