+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

2019 Gio Urshela Performance Thread

He was promoted, Thairo Estrada was demoted without playing, and Gregorius went on the 60 day IL to get Urshela on the 40 man roster. https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...rshegi01.shtml has his statistics. He had a .608 OPS in 46 plate appearances with Toronto last year. He made his MLB debut for Cleveland on June 9, 2015, and he went by Giovanny Urshela then. Including 2015 and 2017 with Cleveland and 2018 with Toronto, he has a .589 OPS in 499 plate appearances. He has 8 home runs, 39 RBI, and 46 runs. In 2016 the only team he played for was Cleveland's AAA Columbus. Last year he had a .719 OPS in AAA for Columbus, Toronto's affiliate in Buffalo, and Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. He had an .815 OPS in 107 plate appearances for Scranton/Wilkes-Barre last year and was 4-for-9 for them this year with every plate appearance being an at-bat. He had a 1.023 OPS in Spring Training with 2 home runs and 4 doubles in 28 at-bats.

Re: 2019 Gio Urshela Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by EvanJ View Post
    He was promoted, Thairo Estrada was demoted without playing, and Gregorius went on the 60 day IL to get Urshela on the 40 man roster. https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...rshegi01.shtml has his statistics. He had a .608 OPS in 46 plate appearances with Toronto last year. He made his MLB debut for Cleveland on June 9, 2015, and he went by Giovanny Urshela then. Including 2015 and 2017 with Cleveland and 2018 with Toronto, he has a .589 OPS in 499 plate appearances. He has 8 home runs, 39 RBI, and 46 runs. In 2016 the only team he played for was Cleveland's AAA Columbus. Last year he had a .719 OPS in AAA for Columbus, Toronto's affiliate in Buffalo, and Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. He had an .815 OPS in 107 plate appearances for Scranton/Wilkes-Barre last year and was 4-for-9 for them this year with every plate appearance being an at-bat. He had a 1.023 OPS in Spring Training with 2 home runs and 4 doubles in 28 at-bats.
    Did Cashman forget Urshela was in the system? Someone reminded him after calling up Thairo?

NYYF Triple Crown

Stunned. Now I am very worried about Andújar LAP (sp ?) because Urshela is 3B and Estrada is SS. He looked good in ST and TOR is loaded at IF in farm system. We should see Vlad Jr replacing Drury who probably replaced Gio in TOR. thanks because I never looked at his background. I hope Andújar returns.

NYYF Legend

Urshela went to Scranton/Wilkes-Barre late last year, so he was there before Gregorius got hurt. He played mostly 3B, but just like LeMahieu he has played other positions. Here's Urshela's breakdown:

3B: 1,115 innings (91.0%)
    SS: 85 innings (6.9%)
    2B: 23 2/3 innings (1.9%)
    1B: 2 innings (0.2%)
    Total: 1,225 2/3 innings

Entering 2019, LeMahieu had 96.6% of his innings at 2B, which is higher than Urshela at 3B.

NYYF Legend

Did they want Estrada playing every day at AAA instead of one a week in the Bronx?
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Did they want Estrada playing every day at AAA instead of one a week in the Bronx?
    possibly, but wouldn’t they have known that yesterday?

Someone else made a good point though - the call up gets Estrada benefits in terms of $$/healthcare. Maybe they were doing him a solid? Still probably bummed to not get a game in tho.

Love this kids defense at 3B. Don’t think he’ll hit much,though.
    "Thurman (Munson) was indispensable and irreplaceable...." - Yankees Owner George Steinbrenner

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    possibly, but wouldn’t they have known that yesterday?

Someone else made a good point though - the call up gets Estrada benefits in terms of $$/healthcare. Maybe they were doing him a solid? Still probably bummed to not get a game in tho.
    Randy Levine would never have allowed that.

Left-Handed Catcher

Quote Originally Posted by bucky View Post
    Stunned. Now I am very worried about Andújar LAP (sp ?) because Urshela is 3B and Estrada is SS. He looked good in ST and TOR is loaded at IF in farm system. We should see Vlad Jr replacing Drury who probably replaced Gio in TOR. thanks because I never looked at his background. I hope Andújar returns.
    Don't mean to be overly negative, but I think we've seen the last of Andujar for this season. Labrum tears are nothing to play around with. I wouldn't think it would be good for him to try and rehab knowing that he won't be close to 100% throughout the season.

Urshela wasn't bad with the bat in ST. Maybe he carries it over with some playing time.

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    Don't mean to be overly negative, but I think we've seen the last of Andujar for this season. Labrum tears are nothing to play around with. I wouldn't think it would be good for him to try and rehab knowing that he won't be close to 100% throughout the season.

Urshela wasn't bad with the bat in ST. Maybe he carries it over with some playing time.
    I am worried. Wasn't the strain in Sevy a 'minor' labrum tear concern and I saw he at 120 ft so I still have hope to see Andújar this year? But you are right SLADs are very serious and the MRI don't pick them up. I am more worried about Sevy (the other Gio got bombed again) than Andújar. Gio is at 3rd and hope he does great. If he hits - I think this Gio Torres DJL with Wade as back up will be the lineup Tulo and Andújar return. I can't even think about losing them.

Urshela has been huge this year

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by danman1202 View Post
    Urshela has been huge this year
    Nice to see. I liked him in ST. Just like seeing young players get a chance.

FYI. This was just 8 months ago. Cleveland DFA - Toronto - NYY TOR has Vlad Jr at 3rd who is going to be there for the next 10 years.

"Though the move is likely to fly under the radar, the Blue Jays made a trade Saturday ahead of their nighttime contest against the Mariners in Seattle. The team announced that they’ve traded shortstop/third baseman Gio Urshela to the New York Yankees in exchange for cash considerations."

https://jaysjournal.com/2018/08/04/b...-york-yankees/

Loving his defense. He made several plays last night to keep them in this game.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Voit Fan View Post
    Loving his defense. He made several plays last night to keep them in this game.
    Last night, I was particularly loving his offense.

NYYF Legend

His arm is really incredible. Unbelievably accurate under duress and incredibly strong.

If you had shown me these plays 5 months ago with faces blurred out, and told me that they were both going to happen within a week of each other before April was over, I'd have been ecstatic because it meant the Yankees signed Machado.

Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

NYYF Legend

I think on those plays, especially the 1st, he's creating the duress with his footing. I think his arm is elite/plus plus. Very accurate and strong. Loving his throws to 2nd on double plays (nice to actually turn them), ect...

However, range wise, I'm not seeing anything elite. Average-ish range with elite arm strength and accuracy. Oddly UZR/DRS doesn't like him, same with DJL for whatever reason, and Clint somehow killing it in OF. My eyes and UZR aren't matching up at the moment, not sure if it's just SSS noise at the moment and/or shifting.

Overall, he's been a breath of fresh air (no Donaldson) on the infield (Gley is a mess), but xwOBA .341 (wOBA .340) with above average defense. We've gained at the position with Andj out and I'm looking forward to more of him,
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    I think on those plays, especially the 1st, he's creating the duress with his footing. I think his arm is elite/plus plus. Very accurate and strong. Loving his throws to 2nd on double plays (nice to actually turn them), ect...

However, range wise, I'm not seeing anything elite. Average-ish range with elite arm strength and accuracy. Oddly UZR/DRS doesn't like him, same with DJL for whatever reason, and Clint somehow killing it in OF. My eyes and UZR aren't matching up at the moment, not sure if it's just SSS noise at the moment and/or shifting.

Overall, he's been a breath of fresh air (no Donaldson) on the infield (Gley is a mess), but xwOBA .341 (wOBA .340) with above average defense. We've gained at the position with Andj out and I'm looking forward to more of him,

At the very least, thus far he has quelled my fear/angst that Andujar may be lost for the season.

NYYF Legend

I'd love to see a combo of Gio's defense and Andujar's offense. That seems like it's be close to an MVP caliber player.

It's funny that he's already turned 6 DPs this year - the same number Andujar turned all last season.
    Baseball is life;

NYYF Legend

Not only Fangraphs, Baseball Reference also doesn't like his defense.

That's being said, I couldn't ask for more from him. Considered the situation he fills in greatly.

NYYF Legend

It's probably SSS bias as by the eye test he sure looks pretty good over there at 3B.
    Baseball is life;

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    I'd love to see a combo of Gio's defense and Andujar's offense. That seems like it's be close to an MVP caliber player.

It's funny that he's already turned 6 DPs this year - the same number Andujar turned all last season.
    Thank you for that statistic. Expanding on it, he's played 99 1/3 innings. Last year Andujar played 1,169 1/3 innings excluding being a DH. That's 11.77 times as many innings as Urshela.

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    Not only Fangraphs, Baseball Reference also doesn't like his defense.

That's being said, I couldn't ask for more from him. Considered the situation he fills in greatly.

Across 1214 innings at 3B (about 134 games worth), UZR has him at +5.2 runs. That said, UZR takes 3 years (about 1400 innings) of data to be worth anything. I didn't look at bref defensive measures. In any case, I imagine the Yankees have superior ways to assess defense, and I'll also take our collective eye-tests over the SSS of UZR too. He's been great out there
    "My guys are savages in the box!" - Aaron Boone

Thank you for that statistic. Expanding on it, he's played 99 1/3 innings. Last year Andujar played 1,169 1/3 innings excluding being a DH. That's 11.77 times as many innings as Urshela.
    DJL has also been involved in 2 DP in 80 innings at 3B this year.

NYYF Legend

The sooner Andujar is anywhere else but 3B, the better.
    "Be a voice, not an echo." - Albert Einstein

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    The sooner Andujar is anywhere else but 3B, the better.
    Well, right now, he's on the IL.

Thread Information