+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Results 176 to 200 of 206
  1. #176
    New Murderer's Row False1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Arizona

    Re: 2019 Gio Urshela Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes View Post
    I'd prefer Gio sold high- he's 27 and never had a season remotely comparable. Andujar is outperforming, but it's not out of the blue.

    Just sell one of the two and Frazier for something. Hording prospects is dumb.
    I think they should get a feel for how the market values both Gio and Doo this offseason, but frankly I'd much prefer they trade Doo unless his value is so low it's not worth it.

    Somehow defensive metrics are not appreciating Gio's effort this year, ranking him near the bottom in defensive value amongst qualifying 3B. We all know point-in-time defensive metrics aren't reliable, but this one is really puzzling. His error totals aren't really all that out of line, and he's getting to balls out of zone and making strong throws resulting in outs that I don't see many other 3B making. Lasers down the line, squibbers in front of him, dude is a beast as far as my eyes can tell out there. Taken with his bat this year, even if he cools off a bit he has the markings of a 5 WAR player. Also it may not be a repeatable skill but dude has been killing it in critical situations.

    Doo has 5 WAR bat potential, but the problem is with this roster over the next few years he'd have to wear a glove. I have practically zero confidence he will improve defensively enough to justify a position, even with that bat. Devers' improvement defensively gives me a little pause, but Andujar actually looked WORSE defensively prior to the injury this year than he did last year.

    There's a possibility Gio is having a Brosius 1998 season. If it's me, I'm holding on to him regardless. See what a package led with Frazier and Doo can get you, unless someone blows you away with a deal including Gio.

  2. #177

    Re: 2019 Gio Urshela Performance Thread

    What have we become, already figuring out how to "sell high" on a guy who's been tremendous for the Yankees instead of simply looking forward to as many more years as we can get out of him.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

  3. #178
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: 2019 Gio Urshela Performance Thread

    Oddly enough I think his season is more likely to make Didi expendable than Andujar.
    Andjuar's trade value has got to be near rock bottom until he shows he can hit again after the shoulder surgery.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

  4. #179

    Re: 2019 Gio Urshela Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes View Post
    I'd prefer Gio sold high- he's 27 and never had a season remotely comparable. Andujar is outperforming, but it's not out of the blue.

    Just sell one of the two and Frazier for something. Hording prospects is dumb.
    I seriously doubt we could flip Gio for much of anything this off-season. Nobody will expect him to duplicate what he is doing this season. I think we're much better off keeping him and letting him try to do it again here.

  5. #180

    Re: 2019 Gio Urshela Performance Thread

    Josh Donaldson didn't break out until his age 27 season. It's very possible that Urshela is going to keep this up and shouldn't be traded. Even with regression he's still a great 3B.

  6. #181

    Re: 2019 Gio Urshela Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by billyhoyle View Post
    Josh Donaldson didn't break out until his age 27 season. It's very possible that Urshela is going to keep this up and shouldn't be traded. Even with regression he's still a great 3B.
    This. Gio could be a one year wonder, but could also be a late bloomer that broke out. We won't know for sure.

  7. #182
    Addicted Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Toronto

    Re: 2019 Gio Urshela Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    ...

    Somehow defensive metrics are not appreciating Gio's effort this year, ranking him near the bottom in defensive value amongst qualifying 3B. We all know point-in-time defensive metrics aren't reliable, but this one is really puzzling.


    ...

    I agree with your take on Gio. However, on the above passage, the key point seems not to be that "this one is really puzzling," but that "defensive metrics aren't reliable"?

  8. #183

    Re: 2019 Gio Urshela Performance Thread

    Come spring training in February 2020, Gio will battle it out with Andujar for the regular 3B position to see if Gio was a 1-year wonder. That doesn't seem fair to Gio, but he will welcome the competition.

  9. #184

    Re: 2019 Gio Urshela Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by YanksBeatBraves1996 View Post
    Come spring training in February 2020, Gio will battle it out with Andujar for the regular 3B position to see if Gio was a 1-year wonder. That doesn't seem fair to Gio, but he will welcome the competition.
    I disagree. Gio is the Yankee 3rd baseman moving forward. Heirs hitting the ball hard and despite the power he has shown, is still hitting the ball up the middle and to right field. He LOOKS like a hitter and not only against weak teams. Andujar will be traded before he competes with Gio for the third base job. DH or the OF is in Andujar's future.

  10. #185

    Re: 2019 Gio Urshela Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Bauer View Post
    I agree with your take on Gio. However, on the above passage, the key point seems not to be that "this one is really puzzling," but that "defensive metrics aren't reliable"?
    UZR fluctuates and can be fluky, but his Inside Edge Fielding looks excellent.

    https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.asp...on=3B#fielding

  11. #186
    Administrator Bub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    The Boonies

    Re: 2019 Gio Urshela Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Steve View Post
    I disagree. Gio is the Yankee 3rd baseman moving forward. Heirs hitting the ball hard and despite the power he has shown, is still hitting the ball up the middle and to right field. He LOOKS like a hitter and not only against weak teams. Andujar will be traded before he competes with Gio for the third base job. DH or the OF is in Andujar's future.
    Agree with all of this. I hope Andujar stays and finds a role as full time DH with occasional days in the field somewhere. My only issue with him is his lack of patience, but if he's going to hit .300 with power then I'm fine with it.

    There's something about Gio that I think separates himself from many others on the team. He sees the flight of the pitch all the way to the catcher's glove and reacts very late in his swing. Judge, Stanton and Sanchez just can't do that. The ability to hit like this makes him a good hitter with 2 strikes, so getting behind in the count isn't a big deal. His power is deceiving. He never swings out of his shoes but the ball jumps off his bat. What a find he's turned out to be.
    Let the kids play.

  12. #187

    Re: 2019 Gio Urshela Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    Agree with all of this. I hope Andujar stays and finds a role as full time DH with occasional days in the field somewhere. My only issue with him is his lack of patience, but if he's going to hit .300 with power then I'm fine with it.

    There's something about Gio that I think separates himself from many others on the team. He sees the flight of the pitch all the way to the catcher's glove and reacts very late in his swing. Judge, Stanton and Sanchez just can't do that. The ability to hit like this makes him a good hitter with 2 strikes, so getting behind in the count isn't a big deal. His power is deceiving. He never swings out of his shoes but the ball jumps off his bat. What a find he's turned out to be.
    Everything I've seen from him I like.

    I kept wondering when midnight was going to strike for him but lately I've stopped having those thoughts. He's a solid player. And even if he goes into a batting slump his glove is good enough to warrant him getting playing time.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

  13. #188
    NYYF Legend

    kan_t's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Quote Originally Posted by nnysiny View Post
    UZR fluctuates and can be fluky, but his Inside Edge Fielding looks excellent.

    https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.asp...on=3B#fielding
    Ironically it's the traditional defensive number which makes his 'advance' stats look bad. His errors are killing him.

    He's ranked last in fielding percentage among all qualified 3B in both leagues.

  14. #189

    Re: 2019 Gio Urshela Performance Thread

    Our #3 hitter the rest of the year and into the playoffs unless he does something to lose it or Boone is a fool. He’s certainly earned it.

  15. #190

    Re: 2019 Gio Urshela Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by primetime714 View Post
    Our #3 hitter the rest of the year and into the playoffs unless he does something to lose it or Boone is a fool. He’s certainly earned it.
    Interesting. He moved up in the order because of the injuries ... when some combination of Hicks, Stanton, EE, and Voit come back, will Boone keep him there? Not sure but I agree that he's earned the spot.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

  16. #191

    Re: 2019 Gio Urshela Performance Thread

    Has there ever been a Yankees' Co-MVP because I would award it to DJ LeMahieu and Gio Urshela?

  17. #192

    Re: 2019 Gio Urshela Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    Interesting. He moved up in the order because of the injuries ... when some combination of Hicks, Stanton, EE, and Voit come back, will Boone keep him there? Not sure but I agree that he's earned the spot.
    The lineup should not stack all the 3 outcome hitters. Need to mix the contact hitters in between those guys.
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd



  18. #193

    Re: 2019 Gio Urshela Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    Interesting. He moved up in the order because of the injuries ... when some combination of Hicks, Stanton, EE, and Voit come back, will Boone keep him there? Not sure but I agree that he's earned the spot.
    Maybe he’s been moved up in the order so he can qualify for the batting title and the Yankees can have an in house battle for that title.

  19. #194
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Bauer View Post
    I agree with your take on Gio. However, on the above passage, the key point seems not to be that "this one is really puzzling," but that "defensive metrics aren't reliable"?
    I think that’s correct.

  20. #195
    Administrator Bub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    The Boonies

    Re: 2019 Gio Urshela Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by BillyJack View Post
    Maybe he’s been moved up in the order so he can qualify for the batting title and the Yankees can have an in house battle for that title.
    Barring an injury, Gio should qualify for the title sometime in mid September, whether he hits third or seventh.
    Let the kids play.

  21. #196
    NYYF Legend

    longtimeyankeefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

    Re: 2019 Gio Urshela Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    Barring an injury, Gio should qualify for the title sometime in mid September, whether he hits third or seventh.
    I don't think it will happen in mid-September as you state.

    Currently, Gio has 356 plate appearances - he needs 502 to qualify for the batting title.

    The Yankees have 41 games remaining - he would need to average 3.56 PA per game if he plays every game going forward.

    Interestingly, his YTD number is exactly the same - he has 356 PA in an even 100 games, so his average PA is 3.56.

    As a team, the Yankees have averaged 38.6 PA per game in their 121 games played - that stat means that, on average, the Yankees turn over their lineup 4.3 times per game, so batting him higher in the lineup means an additional PA per game over batting him in the bottom or middle 3.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

  22. #197

    Re: 2019 Gio Urshela Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Oddly enough I think his season is more likely to make Didi expendable than Andujar.
    Andjuar's trade value has got to be near rock bottom until he shows he can hit again after the shoulder surgery.
    I know the Yankees don't normally extend a manager's or player's contract in season (see Sevy, Hicks, CC and Gardy) and that's why Didi's status for 2020 is in the air.

    When you consider how well Torres played SS and with Urshela manning 3B like a vacuum cleaner and LeMahieu being comfortable at 2B with Estrada a good back-up there next season, Didi may become a free agent that Cashman might not re-sign.

  23. #198
    NYYF Legend

    NelsonMuntz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Alexandria, VA

    Re: 2019 Gio Urshela Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Blazer View Post
    The lineup should not stack all the 3 outcome hitters. Need to mix the contact hitters in between those guys.
    Completely agree. I would bat Stanton no higher than 6th due to his K rates with RISP, but that's probably unlikely to happen.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

  24. #199

    Re: 2019 Gio Urshela Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by YanksBeatBraves1996 View Post
    Has there ever been a Yankees' Co-MVP because I would award it to DJ LeMahieu and Gio Urshela?
    How about Tauchman and German?

    Gio has been a beast this season, and they are saying he changed his stance to barrel more baseballs. If thats the case, this could be a legit breakout season and he could continue it going forward. I dont want Urshela to go anywhere. Just sign Cole in the offseason.

    2020: Cole/Sev/Pax/Tanaka/German with Monty/Happ behind them.
    The Continuance of Being Great, is Getting Number Twenty-Eight

  25. #200
    NYYF Legend

    -tz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    NYC

    Re: 2019 Gio Urshela Performance Thread


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts