+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 226
  1. #51

    Re: 2019 Gio Urshela Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    Shoot Andujar into the sun.





    But he is clogging up the middle of the order. When do you drop a 180 hitter with no homers and 1 RBI hitting cleanup? You have all or nothing gary ahead of him so glad it never made it to them to win.


    Yes Andujar has not played many games But he had ST he played the start of the season and he did hit in rehab games. Urshela has to play even if he comes down to earth and hits like Andujar. Defense and speed won the game and in the playoffs that wins them also.


    The Sun has set on Andujar but he is a yankee to stay as he is damaged goods #1 nobody would take him for anything and #2 Cashman and Hal would not be wrong in not trading him when he had value.

  2. #52
    NYYF Legend

    JDPNYY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    I feel your pain more than my own

    Re: 2019 Gio Urshela Performance Thread

    Sea Witch = MVP of the Injury Period.
    In "Kids in the Hall" I trust

  3. #53

    Re: 2019 Gio Urshela Performance Thread

    The Yankees have a conundrum when Stanton returns to the lineup. Both he and Andujar cannot alternate as the DH if Urshela is pencilled in as the everyday 3B due to his defensive prowess and hot bat.

    Boone will have so many options as he has Torres and LeMahieu at SS/2B, Hicks/Maybin in CF, and Frazier/Gardy in LF.

  4. #54

    Re: 2019 Gio Urshela Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by YanksBeatBraves1996 View Post
    The Yankees have a conundrum when Stanton returns to the lineup. Both he and Andujar cannot alternate as the DH if Urshela is pencilled in as the everyday 3B due to his defensive prowess and hot bat.

    Boone will have so many options as he has Torres and LeMahieu at SS/2B, Hicks/Maybin in CF, and Frazier/Gardy in LF.

    Tauchman and Maybin will be the casualties of the impending roster crunch.

  5. #55

    Re: 2019 Gio Urshela Performance Thread

    That's a crying shame as I like how Maybin is performing. Gardy being likely his final year in pinstripes won't be bought out.

  6. #56
    NYYF MVP


    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Chicago, IL

    Re: 2019 Gio Urshela Performance Thread

    Andujar needs to be the primary DH. Hes a fantastic, young hitter, who is ascending. He may have a down year, as hes dealt with a lot already, but the kid can flat out rake.

    When Stanton returns, hes the primary LF. He will get some breaks as a DH, in which case Andujar will move to 3B, or the bench, depending on matchup.

    Urshela has been awesome. Hes earned the right to lose the full time 3B job. But Andujar has also earned the right to lose a job in the lineup too.

    Re: Urshela - is he the next coming of Brosius?

  7. #57

    Re: 2019 Gio Urshela Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JBursch23 View Post
    Re: Urshela - is he the next coming of Brosius?
    He's made me think of Brosius too ... an unheralded defense-first guy who turns out to be much more productive with the bat than you thought he'd be.

    The Yankees are doing the right thing making him the starting 3B.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

  8. #58

    Re: 2019 Gio Urshela Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    He's made me think of Brosius too ... an unheralded defense-first guy who turns out to be much more productive with the bat than you thought he'd be.

    The Yankees are doing the right thing making him the starting 3B.
    I want to warn you that John and Suzyn have been making that comparison for over a week now. And whenever you think like Sterling.....well, you know.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

  9. #59
    Left-Handed Catcher
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Queens

    Re: 2019 Gio Urshela Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    I want to warn you that John and Suzyn have been making that comparison for over a week now. And whenever you think like Sterling.....well, you know.
    Something something cant predict baseball something?

    Funny thing with Brosius is that while he had no shortage of big hits in the postseason, he only put up a 96 OPS+ in his tenure as a Yankee, and that itself was bolstered by a dynamite 1998 campaign.

  10. #60

    Re: 2019 Gio Urshela Performance Thread

    Gio Urshela fouled a ball off his knee tonight and suffered a contusion.

  11. #61
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    I live by the Sound

    Re: 2019 Gio Urshela Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    He's made me think of Brosius too ... an unheralded defense-first guy who turns out to be much more productive with the bat than you thought he'd be.

    The Yankees are doing the right thing making him the starting 3B.
    Brosius had full seasons of 114 OPS+ in 1995 and 127 OPS+ in 1996 in Oakland before his nightmare 1997 made him readily available. He was "unheralded" because people in NY generally didn't pay attention to the post-Bash Brothers A's, not because he was a career "organizational player" like Urshela.

    Even then the Yankees had to give up Kenny Rogers who had flopped in New York, Sonny Gray-style, but was an established major league pitcher who had had some solid success in Texas. Perhaps a more impressive trade chip than the cash considerations the Yankees sent to Toronto for Gio. Urshela rang up a career 57 OPS+ in 499 PA before his call-up here.

    Brosius' 1998 certainly wasn't expected but he'd already performed comparably with the A's over a full season.

    If people want to take the optimistic view for Urshela, a better comp might be Billy Grabarkewitz. Billy didn't have a great career but I'll be thrilled if Gio can approach Grabarkewitz's fluke 1970.
    Last edited by HelloNewman; 05-09-19 at 04:32 AM.
    "This game has a heartbeat, Brian." -- Joe Torre

  12. #62

    Re: 2019 Gio Urshela Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    Brosius had full seasons of 114 OPS+ in 1995 and 127 OPS+ in 1996 in Oakland before his nightmare 1997 made him readily available. He was "unheralded" because people in NY generally didn't pay attention to the post-Bash Brothers A's, not because he was a career "organizational player" like Urshela.

    Even then the Yankees had to give up Kenny Rogers who had flopped in New York, Sonny Gray-style, but was an established major league pitcher who had had some solid success in Texas. Perhaps a more impressive trade chip than the cash considerations the Yankees sent to Toronto for Gio. Urshela rang up a career 57 OPS+ in 499 PA before his call-up here.

    Brosius' 1998 certainly wasn't expected but he'd already performed comparably with the A's over a full season.

    If people want to take the optimistic view for Urshela, a better comp might be Billy Grabarkewitz. Billy didn't have a great career but I'll be thrilled if Gio can approach Grabarkewitz's fluke 1970.
    Thanks, this is a helpful reminder of Brosius' history. I've never heard of that other guy.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

  13. #63
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    I live by the Sound

    Re: 2019 Gio Urshela Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    Thanks, this is a helpful reminder of Brosius' history. I've never heard of that other guy.
    I understand if you don't know Billy Grabarkewitz, most of the world has forgotten. He had that one great year and descended into scrubdom quickly, out of professional baseball by 1975.

    I am actually being optimistic in comping Gio to him, Billy G. was a 24-year-old with 4 years in the pros before his fluke year. Gio is 27 and has been knocking around in the pros 11 years.

    Before anyone misunderstands, I agree the Yankees should ride this Gio miracle as far as it can go. Play him at 3B until he stinks, not for 1 or 2 games which would be the NYYFANS "standard" but 2-3 weeks or even a month really depending on the level of stinkage. I think that time will come but he has earned the chance to go for it, Grabarkewitz-style.

    (Just as an aside, 1970 was such a great and quirky baseball year. Among many other things, the top two national media sensations in the National League for the first half of 1970: Billy Grabarkewitz (position player) and Wayne Simpson (pitcher). Both totally forgotten now.)
    "This game has a heartbeat, Brian." -- Joe Torre

  14. #64
    NYYF Legend

    ymike673's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn,NY

    Re: 2019 Gio Urshela Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by YanksBeatBraves1996 View Post
    Gio Urshela fouled a ball off his knee tonight and suffered a contusion.
    Does our bad luck ever end? Didn't Tex foul a ball off in the same spot and was pretty much lost for the season?

  15. #65
    NYYF Legend

    ymike673's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn,NY

    Re: 2019 Gio Urshela Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    I understand if you don't know Billy Grabarkewitz, most of the world has forgotten. He had that one great year and descended into scrubdom quickly, out of professional baseball by 1975.

    I am actually being optimistic in comping Gio to him, Billy G. was a 24-year-old with 4 years in the pros before his fluke year. Gio is 27 and has been knocking around in the pros 11 years.

    Before anyone misunderstands, I agree the Yankees should ride this Gio miracle as far as it can go. Play him at 3B until he stinks, not for 1 or 2 games which would be the NYYFANS "standard" but 2-3 weeks or even a month really depending on the level of stinkage. I think that time will come but he has earned the chance to go for it, Grabarkewitz-style.

    (Just as an aside, 1970 was such a great and quirky baseball year. Among many other things, the top two national media sensations in the National League for the first half of 1970: Billy Grabarkewitz (position player) and Wayne Simpson (pitcher). Both totally forgotten now.)
    Joe Charboneau also comes to mind. ROY and two years later back in the minors to stay.

  16. #66
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    I live by the Sound

    Re: 2019 Gio Urshela Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Joe Charboneau also comes to mind. ROY and two years later back in the minors to stay.
    Yeah but was MONSTER MiLB hitter in 1978 and 1979. They had reason to think he'd be great. Billy G. and Urshela kind of came out of nowhere, that's part of why I made the comparison.
    "This game has a heartbeat, Brian." -- Joe Torre

  17. #67
    NYYF Legend

    NelsonMuntz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Alexandria, VA

    Re: 2019 Gio Urshela Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JBursch23 View Post
    Andujar needs to be the primary DH. Hes a fantastic, young hitter, who is ascending. He may have a down year, as hes dealt with a lot already, but the kid can flat out rake.

    When Stanton returns, hes the primary LF. He will get some breaks as a DH, in which case Andujar will move to 3B, or the bench, depending on matchup.

    Urshela has been awesome. Hes earned the right to lose the full time 3B job. But Andujar has also earned the right to lose a job in the lineup too.
    Agree that Andujar should be the primary DH when Stanton returns. The real dilemma is what to do when Didi returns because then Torres goes back to 2B. That means either Urshela or DJL will be on the bench.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

  18. #68

    Re: 2019 Gio Urshela Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Agree that Andujar should be the primary DH when Stanton returns. The real dilemma is what to do when Didi returns because then Torres goes back to 2B. That means either Urshela or DJL will be on the bench.



    This is why we can't have a guy who is a full time DH on this team as it needs to be rotated and Andujar can't play 3rd so he should be the odd mad out.

  19. #69

    Re: 2019 Gio Urshela Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Agree that Andujar should be the primary DH when Stanton returns. The real dilemma is what to do when Didi returns because then Torres goes back to 2B. That means either Urshela or DJL will be on the bench.
    It'll work itself out. I think Urshela will eventually cool off and Andujar will be the 3B. Some people have forgotten how good a hitter Andujar is.

  20. #70
    NYYF Legend

    NelsonMuntz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Alexandria, VA

    Re: 2019 Gio Urshela Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NYYfan4life90 View Post
    It'll work itself out. I think Urshela will eventually cool off and Andujar will be the 3B. Some people have forgotten how good a hitter Andujar is.
    It's not Andujar's hitting that I'm worried about. I really do not want to see him at 3B ever again. His defense is horrific.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

  21. #71
    NYYF Legend

    ymike673's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn,NY

    Re: 2019 Gio Urshela Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    Yeah but was MONSTER MiLB hitter in 1978 and 1979. They had reason to think he'd be great. Billy G. and Urshela kind of came out of nowhere, that's part of why I made the comparison.
    Joe had one good season I believe in 82. But I would not call it a monster season.

  22. #72
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    I live by the Sound

    Re: 2019 Gio Urshela Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Joe had one good season I believe in 82. But I would not call it a monster season.
    He had a .986 OPS in 1978 at Visalia and a 1.019 at Chattanooga in 1979 before his one big year in the majors in 1980. Yes, monster MiLB seasons as I said, so the Indians had some reason to believe they had someone very promising on their hands.

    Billy G. had some excellent seasons in the low minors but tailed off badly in 1969 just before his one big MLB year. Urshela has come truly out of nowhere.
    "This game has a heartbeat, Brian." -- Joe Torre

  23. #73
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    He had a .986 OPS in 1978 at Visalia and a 1.019 at Chattanooga in 1979 before his one big year in the majors in 1980. Yes, monster MiLB seasons as I said, so the Indians had some reason to believe they had someone very promising on their hands.

    Billy G. had some excellent seasons in the low minors but tailed off badly in 1969 just before his one big MLB year. Urshela has come truly out of nowhere.
    Charboneau also opened beer bottles with his teeth. That has to count for something.

  24. #74

    Re: 2019 Gio Urshela Performance Threading

    The Mariners intentionally walked Torres with two outs to load the bases to get to Urshela.

    On a 1-2 count, Urshela singled in two insurance runs!

  25. #75

    Re: 2019 Gio Urshela Performance Threading

    Quote Originally Posted by YanksBeatBraves1996 View Post
    The Mariners intentionally walked Torres with two outs to load the bases to get to Urshela.

    On a 1-2 count, Urshela singled in two insurance runs!

    Yeah the M's forgot that Boone made a sub the few innings before

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts