+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Re: 2019 Umpires Performance Thread

I hope Hal sends him a bill.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Gardy has likely been spoken to by Aaron Boone to stop using a bat to hit the top of the dugout's roof. Gardy is a valuable outfielder to finish a game.

NYYF Legend

Phil Cuzzy making the case for robo umps today. Absolutely horrible.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    I actually think his calls today are vindictive. Which is the worst thing possible.
    Just win!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    I actually think his calls today are vindictive. Which is the worst thing possible.
    And if so, itís not going to get any better. In fact, with all the talk, replays, data on how Judge has a fluid strike called zone, I thought that it may even out for him. But it looks like itís getting worse as much as anything.

Bush league minor league umpire.

Every year, managers beef about poor umpire decisions yet if all six umpires are replaced with AI umpires, the managers will express their displeasure as well. They will then argue that umpire mistakes are part of the great game of baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by YanksBeatBraves1996 View Post

Every year, managers beef about poor umpire decisions yet if all six umpires are replaced with AI umpires, the managers will express their displeasure as well. They will then argue that umpire mistakes are part of the great game of baseball.
    I donít think this is true. It seems (to me, anyway) that since replay was introduced thereís been a huge decrease in managers arguing calls on the field - instead they just challenge. I think the same would go for robot umps/electronic strike zone.

Released Outright

Cuzzi's dismal umpiring today makes me more supportive if players physically attack umps

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by YanksBeatBraves1996 View Post

If they want to argue with robots I suppose thatís their prerogative but they will look like fools. Ultimately I think the players and managers just want the calls to be correct.

Quote Originally Posted by nyy42 View Post
    Cuzzi's dismal umpiring today makes me more supportive if players physically attack umps
    Thatís stupid

NYYF Legend

Iím thinking youíre not necessarily wrong here. But if it werenít this crew, it wouldíve been another one. My theory is that when Booneís Ď....ing savagesí rant got picked up by field mics (and shared) the MLB Umpire Association wasnít happy. At all. Then you have Gardner showing poor impulse control in response to a bad call. Fast forward to this weekend, and you have the same thing: Boone barking in response to a bad call, and again Gardner displaying his poor impulse control. The umpires are going to snap Yankee necks every chance they get until cooler heads get a handle on this situation.
    "Be a voice, not an echo." - Albert Einstein

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    Iím thinking youíre not necessarily wrong here. But if it werenít this crew, it wouldíve been another one. My theory is that when Booneís Ď....ing savagesí rant got picked up by field mics (and shared) the MLB Umpire Association wasnít happy. At all. Then you have Gardner showing poor impulse control in response to a bad call. Fast forward to this weekend, and you have the same thing: Boone barking in response to a bad call, and again Gardner displaying his poor impulse control. The umpires are going to snap Yankee necks every chance they get until cooler heads get a handle on this situation.
    100% this. These guys do not like to be shown up and now they are abusing their authority. Manfred needs to get control of the situation.

NYYF Legend

100% this. These guys do not like to be shown up and now they are abusing their authority. Manfred needs to get control of the situation.
    They can avoid being shown up by doing their jobs correctly.
    Just win!

NYYF Legend

They can avoid being shown up by doing their jobs correctly.
    Apparently that is asking too much.

Apparently that is asking too much.
    The aforementioned minor league umpires are who they are for a good reason. A Dutch Rennert they aren't.

Other than being incompetent just as bad is umpires going out of their way to force a confrontation. Walking toward the dugout and staring people down to assert authority after you are the one who messed up is pathetic.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by GleyToe18 View Post
    Other than being incompetent just as bad is umpires going out of their way to force a confrontation. Walking toward the dugout and staring people down to assert authority after you are the one who messed up is pathetic.
    Agreed. Why are there no repercussions for that type of behavior? Absolutely no one goes to a ballgame to watch the umpires. They should be practically invisible.

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

I absolutely hate the thought of robots calling balls and strike, or a distant camera from MLB headquarters. However, it is the only way to get things correct. I am so tired of Judge getting called out on obvious balls.
    Standings: Big Inning 32-16; Blue Cut 27-21; Shoo Fly 26-22; Husk 22-26; Frank Pierce 21-27; Iowa City 16-32.

Quote Originally Posted by GleyToe18 View Post
    While MLB umps tend to be more confrontational than other sports officials, I'd say they do their jobs the best. Especially compared to the NHL zebras, who are incompetent and vindictive
    Assistant to the Manager
    Analytical Department of Analytics

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by hardrain View Post
    I absolutely hate the thought of robots calling balls and strike, or a distant camera from MLB headquarters. However, it is the only way to get things correct. I am so tired of Judge getting called out on obvious balls.
    C'mon man, this is a strawman "fear". The technology being used is cutting edge doppler radar, not this guy

Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    C'mon man, this is a strawman "fear". The technology being used is cutting edge doppler radar, not this guy

Technology will fail when you need it most.
    Standings: Big Inning 32-16; Blue Cut 27-21; Shoo Fly 26-22; Husk 22-26; Frank Pierce 21-27; Iowa City 16-32.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by hardrain View Post
    Technology will fail when you need it most.
    Maybe, but it doesn't seem relevant to me when that is still less often than the humans currently performing the job.

NYYF Legend

Ron Kulpa with a disastrous strike 3 call in the Yankees favor to get the second out of the 5th inning. Just absolutely awful.

NYYF Legend

Immediately after that terrible call by Kulpa, Kay asked A-Rod, "robo umps?" and A-Rod says "absolutely not". His reasoning was that human umpires "make some GREAT calls" when the pressure is on, in big spots, etc.

The only thing I could think was, what the hell is a "great call"? There is no such thing as a great call, there is only a CORRECT call. Umpiring is not an art, it's a science. Continuing to treat it as if it's the former is the very reason it's so terrible in the first place.

There is no room for interpretation on the strike zone, it is not a living breathing thing. There are no "great calls" or "fantastic jobs" by the umpires; there are only correct calls and proper jobs to be done.

Absolute clown show in the 9th. First they blow the call at 2nd then the home plate umpire inexplicably calls time out as the tying run is about to score. Terrible.

Thread Information