+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 188
  1. #76
    NYYF Legend

    -tz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    NYC

    Re: 2019 Umpires Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    Andy Fletcher confuses everyone with a ridiculous strike three call on Judge to end the 7th with Gardner on first and the Yankees down 2-0.

    Hey, at least it wasn't low.

  2. #77
    NYYF Legend

    NelsonMuntz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Alexandria, VA

    Re: 2019 Umpires Performance Thread

    That called 3rd strike on Judge was egregious. Boone needs to start getting tossed out of games. Stand up for your players and put a spotlight on these umpires who cannot do their job.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

  3. #78

    Re: 2019 Umpires Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    That called 3rd strike on Judge was egregious. Boone needs to start getting tossed out of games. Stand up for your players and put a spotlight on these umpires who cannot do their job.
    I completely agree. Would also add that some kind of formal complaint with accompanying footage should be sent to the league office of all the horrible strike calls against Judge just because he's bigger than everyone else.

  4. #79

    Re: 2019 Umpires Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by GleyToe18 View Post
    I completely agree. Would also add that some kind of formal complaint with accompanying footage should be sent to the league office of all the horrible strike calls against Judge just because he's bigger than everyone else.



    MLB knows. They don't care.

  5. #80
    NYYF Legend

    NelsonMuntz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Alexandria, VA

    Re: 2019 Umpires Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by BigYankeeUnit View Post
    MLB knows. They don't care.
    Well they should care about their umpires consistently taking the bat out of the hands of one of their biggest starts.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

  6. #81
    NYYF HOF


    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Stony Brook, NY

    Re: 2019 Umpires Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    That called 3rd strike on Judge was egregious. Boone needs to start getting tossed out of games. Stand up for your players and put a spotlight on these umpires who cannot do their job.
    Boone is too much of a people pleaser to call out the umps.

    Judge was robbed on that call.

  7. #82
    NYYF Legend

    ojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Canada's basement

    Re: 2019 Umpires Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Well they should care about their umpires consistently taking the bat out of the hands of one of their biggest starts.
    As crappy as the umps are, Judge needs to be aware of when to protect the plate and foul that off.
    "Be a voice, not an echo." - Albert Einstein

  8. #83
    NYYF Legend

    ojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Canada's basement

    Re: 2019 Umpires Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by LIYanks View Post
    Boone is too much of a people pleaser to call out the umps.

    Judge was robbed on that call.
    So what? There’s no umpire jail, and there’s no do-overs.

    Fouling off pitches takes the decision making away from the umpires.

    Guys that are tough to strikeout foul that one off. Same with Voit.
    "Be a voice, not an echo." - Albert Einstein

  9. #84
    New Murderer's Row False1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Arizona

    Re: 2019 Umpires Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    As crappy as the umps are, Judge needs to be aware of when to protect the plate and foul that off.
    I disagree on principle, agree in reality, but completely disagree in the context of this discussion. He doesn't need to protect the plate 6+" inside. Boone should have been in that ump's face.

  10. #85
    NYYF Legend

    ojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Canada's basement

    Re: 2019 Umpires Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    I disagree on principle, agree in reality, but completely disagree in the context of this discussion. He doesn't need to protect the plate 6+" inside. Boone should have been in that ump's face.
    Not sure it was 6” off the plate. Looked like maybe 2. And that’s in the swing zone.

    E: It wasn't 6" off the plate. More like 2". And less than that when you factor in the trajectory.



    and I almost forgot:

    E2: I agree about Boone not doing his job. But that pitch was really an E/W thing and not N/S. Judge has to protect the plate. Good hitters know when to keep the ump away from making decisions. The really good hitters foul off pitches just to make pitchers sweat.

    How is this even a discussion?

    (It's just me talking so I guess it really isn't)
    "Be a voice, not an echo." - Albert Einstein

  11. #86
    NYYF Legend

    Snatch Catch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    CA

    Re: 2019 Umpires Performance Thread


    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

  12. #87
    NYYF Legend

    ojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Canada's basement

    Re: 2019 Umpires Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post

    I'm sorry, but that's garbage. He's got to protect the plate. Have words afterwards and talk about the pitch you fouled off that was really a ball. But yeah, this sounds like something a good hitting coach or veteran would pass on to Judge.

    Apparently I'm in the minority, but I'm not wrong.
    "Be a voice, not an echo." - Albert Einstein

  13. #88
    NYYF Legend

    NelsonMuntz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Alexandria, VA

    Re: 2019 Umpires Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    I'm sorry, but that's garbage. He's got to protect the plate. Have words afterwards and talk about the pitch you fouled off that was really a ball. But yeah, this sounds like something a good hitting coach or veteran would pass on to Judge.

    Apparently I'm in the minority, but I'm not wrong.
    No, you are wrong. A hitter cannot do anything with a pitch that far inside. Heís been trained his entire career to not swing at that pitch. You canít expect him to change in one at bat just because the umpire is incompetent. If he does that, the pitcher wins. Now the low strike you might have more of an argument since it is consistently called a strike on Judge and he could theoretically put it in play. But nothing good is going to come from him swinging at a pitch that far inside.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

  14. #89
    NYYF Legend

    ojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Canada's basement

    Re: 2019 Umpires Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    No, you are wrong. A hitter cannot do anything with a pitch that far inside. He’s been trained his entire career to not swing at that pitch. You can’t expect him to change in one at bat just because the umpire is incompetent. If he does that, the pitcher wins. Now the low strike you might have more of an argument since it is consistently called a strike on Judge and he could theoretically put it in play. But nothing good is going to come from him swinging at a pitch that far inside.
    I just showed you the image of the "strike". Tell me he couldn't foul that pitch off.

    e: Like I said earlier. Good hitters extend ABs by taking decisions away from umpires. That's it.
    "Be a voice, not an echo." - Albert Einstein

  15. #90
    NYYF Legend

    ojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Canada's basement

    Re: 2019 Umpires Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    No, you are wrong. A hitter cannot do anything with a pitch that far inside. Heís been trained his entire career to not swing at that pitch. You canít expect him to change in one at bat just because the umpire is incompetent. If he does that, the pitcher wins. Now the low strike you might have more of an argument since it is consistently called a strike on Judge and he could theoretically put it in play. But nothing good is going to come from him swinging at a pitch that far inside.


    Swing the freakin bat dude.
    "Be a voice, not an echo." - Albert Einstein

  16. #91
    NYYF Legend

    NelsonMuntz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Alexandria, VA

    Re: 2019 Umpires Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    I just showed you the image of the "strike". Tell me he couldn't foul that pitch off.

    e: Like I said earlier. Good hitters extend ABs by taking decisions away from umpires. That's it.
    You will never convince me that itís a good thing for a hitter to expand the strike zone. Thereís a reason Judge has a career .398 OBP and itís not from swinging at pitches that far off the plate.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

  17. #92
    NYYF Legend

    ojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Canada's basement

    Re: 2019 Umpires Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    You will never convince me that itís a good thing for a hitter to expand the strike zone. Thereís a reason Judge has a career .398 OBP and itís not from swinging at pitches that far off the plate.
    Fair enough.

    He played a bigger part than the ump in the reason they lost today, though.
    "Be a voice, not an echo." - Albert Einstein

  18. #93
    NYYF Legend

    NelsonMuntz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Alexandria, VA

    Re: 2019 Umpires Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    Fair enough.

    He played a bigger part than the ump in the reason they lost today, though.
    I mean, he did have 4 hits today.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

  19. #94
    NYYF Legend

    ojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Canada's basement

    Re: 2019 Umpires Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    I mean, he did have 4 hits today.
    And he didn't foul off the pitch that mattered most.

    This is 101 stuff.

    e: like I said. The good hitters don't strikeout like that.
    "Be a voice, not an echo." - Albert Einstein

  20. #95
    NYYF Legend

    -tz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    NYC

    Re: 2019 Umpires Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post


    Swing the freakin bat dude.
    Maybe it's clearer here:

  21. #96
    NYYF Legend

    ojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Canada's basement

    Re: 2019 Umpires Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    Maybe it's clearer here:
    Nope. Yes. The pitch was inside. But Judge held the utmost control to keep that AB alive. But he didn't swing the bat. It's legendary.
    "Be a voice, not an echo." - Albert Einstein

  22. #97
    NYYF Legend

    -tz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    NYC

    Re: 2019 Umpires Performance Thread

    Do you think hitters should ALWAYS swing at pitches that are clearly not strikes just because they have two strikes on them?

  23. #98

    Re: 2019 Umpires Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    Do you think hitters should ALWAYS swing at pitches that are clearly not strikes just because they have two strikes on them?
    A few years back I heard Ken Singleton talking about this very thing. He said he took professional pride in knowing the strike zone and being a disciplined hitter, so when an umpire calls strikes on pitches far outside the strike zone there's nothing you can do because your plate discipline teaches you not to swing at those pitches. As a batter you're helpless in those situations. (he wasn't talking about borderline calls)
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

  24. #99
    NYYF Legend

    JDPNYY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    I feel your pain more than my own

    Re: 2019 Umpires Performance Thread

    Electronically called balls and strikes would solve this issue.

    Imagine hitters knowing that the strike zone doesn't change based on the whims of the arrogant umpire. Imagine a game not being decided because an umpire, being simply human, mistakenly called a pitch the wrong way.

    Imagine there's uniformity. It's easy if you try.
    Just win!

  25. #100
    NYYF Legend

    CalYankeeFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Palmdale, CA

    Re: 2019 Umpires Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    Electronically called balls and strikes would solve this issue.

    Imagine hitters knowing that the strike zone doesn't change based on the whims of the arrogant umpire. Imagine a game not being decided because an umpire, being simply human, mistakenly called a pitch the wrong way.

    Imagine there's uniformity. It's easy if you try.
    Youíre a dreamer. But not the only one.
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts