+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: 2019 Gary Sanchez performance thread

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    To bring this full circle to one of Posada's very best games in a Yankee uniform, I'm sure A's fans think Jeremy Giambi's baserunning cost them the entire 2001 ALDS.
    Apropos of not much, I was at a Yankee game at the Trop back in September '10 (kicking off my bachelor party week) where, in the 10th inning Posada hit a go-ahead solo shot that beyond the facade of the batter's eye restaurant in CF.

No memory of how slowly he jogged around the bases though.
    "Be a voice, not an echo." - Albert Einstein

Past his prime and washed up but just had the best game of his career.

So this is why the faith is kept in him...interesting.

NYYF Legend

Current HR leader.

Yo...

NYYF Legend

Enigma.
    "Be a voice, not an echo." - Albert Einstein

Heís figured it out. If you hit HRs,you canít get picked off base. 👍
    "Thurman (Munson) was indispensable and irreplaceable...." - Yankees Owner George Steinbrenner

Misses a chance for the history books, against a position player no less. Fire his translator!

If he's able to get on a sustained hot streak, he could carry this team for a while.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

NYYF Legend

Thatís why you keep faith. Still has 40 HR potential.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Yankees your 27 time WS Champs MyBoysKaosHavoK's Avatar

This is why I am an El Gary Homer.....
    In the Land of the Blind. The One Eyed Man is King...Ö
    "Yankees are now a Fully Operational Dollar Store"

Quote Originally Posted by SLURPEE View Post
    He has fallen off. Different player than in 16'/17'.
    Really?

Sanchez's biggest asset to the team has always been his hitting. What concerns me if he catches too much his body will break down like it did last year.

I don't think he'll ever hit .280 again, but can definitely see him putting up numbers like .235/42/110 if healthy.

Left-Handed Catcher

Quote Originally Posted by 1936-1939JoeNLou View Post
    I don't think he'll ever hit .280 again, but can definitely see him putting up numbers like .235/42/110 if healthy.
    I certainly hope thatís not the case. If he could just use the whole field again. Heís got more than enough power to use put the ball over the fence.

And stop flailing at the down and away slider would be nice too.

Really encouraging to see his power back in full effect. I'm still waiting to see him go the opposite way a little more, that's when you know he's fully locked in, but even without that, he's easily the top catcher in the AL even as a guy that's more boom or bust offensively. And no issues blocking so far, just throwing which I'm not too worried about.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by 1936-1939JoeNLou View Post
    And sadly many fans will complain that he is only hitting .235 when that happens.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    And sadly many fans will complain that he is only hitting .235 when that happens.
    I would take 40hrs and 100 rbis and be really happy. His on base percentage should be a little higher, I would like to see 100 points over his batting average.

I think what fans will be complaining about is his defense more than anything.

The Kraken leads the AL in homers and has not yet allowed a passed ball. His five throwing errors are a concern, but the team has to live with it.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    The Yankees are trying to ruin the career of Sanchez. I get that it's good to have his production from the catcher spot, but catchers dont last as long as other players. After all the injury issues from last year, you would think they Yankees would of learned their lesson. Sanchez should be a backup catcher and a DH. Yet the Yankees keep having him catch and he keeps up ending on the DL. I've said it before and I will say it again Sanchez's value has always been in his hitting not his catching. He very easily could be the next David ortiz, but injuries are probably going ruin Sanchez's career.

**just to note I know you can still get hurt hitting or running the bases but the less he catches the less of a chance of an injury**

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks1026 View Post
    The Yankees are trying to ruin the career of Sanchez. I get that it's good to have his production from the catcher spot, but catchers dont last as long as other players. After all the injury issues from last year, you would think they Yankees would of learned their lesson. Sanchez should be a backup catcher and a DH. Yet the Yankees keep having him catch and he keeps up ending on the DL. I've said it before and I will say it again Sanchez's value has always been in his hitting not his catching. He very easily could be the next David ortiz, but injuries are probably going ruin Sanchez's career.

**just to note I know you can still get hurt hitting or running the bases but the less he catches the less of a chance of an injury**
    Unfortunately, the AL only has one DH spot per game. Giancarlo Stanton is essentially the Yankees' full-time DH except in days Stanton gives Judge/Gardy/Frazier some rest.

The only position left to place Sanchez is 1B where he can split time with Luke Voit and Gary can catch every fourth game with Austin Romine catching the bulk of the games.

Unlike Johnny Bench, Carlton Fisk, Mike Piazza, etc., Gary is injury prone behind home plate.

Quote Originally Posted by YanksBeatBraves1996 View Post
    Unfortunately, the AL only has one DH spot per game. Giancarlo Stanton is essentially the Yankees' full-time DH except in days Stanton gives Judge/Gardy/Frazier some rest.

The only position left to place Sanchez is 1B where he can split time with Luke Voit and Gary can catch every fourth game with Austin Romine catching the bulk of the games.

Unlike Johnny Bench, Carlton Fisk, Mike Piazza, etc., Gary is injury prone behind home plate.
    I tried to defend Stanton last year but that trade is looking worse and worse. All that money and they dont want him playing in the field or nor can he, due to health. This team has way to many DH's.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks1026 View Post
    I tried to defend Stanton last year but that trade is looking worse and worse. All that money and they dont want him playing in the field or nor can he, due to health. This team has way to many DH's.
    Stanton can play in the field.

Quote Originally Posted by NYYfan4life90 View Post
    Stanton can play in the field.
    I know he can, what I am saying the Yankees really dont want him out there because of his injury risk.

Thread Information