+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Re: 2019 Gary Sanchez performance thread

Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045 View Post
    What happened to the guy we saw in 2017?
    His low .300s BABIP became a low .200s BABIP.

Gary's PAs and OPS by month:

April 67, .980
    May. 92, .979
    June 105, .824
    July 64, .358
    Aug 71, .917
    total: 400, .826

But facts will rarely affect the skewed perceptions of the observer, particularly when those perceptions are imbued with willfulness.

---As if one could actually be one of the dozen or so best catchers on the whole planet and actually be "lazy."
    "My guys are savages in the box!" - Aaron Boone

Quote Originally Posted by SatchelPaigeYankee View Post
    Gary's PAs and OPS by month:

April 67, .980
    May. 92, .979
    June 105, .824
    July 64, .358
    Aug 71, .917
    total: 400, .826

But facts will rarely affect the skewed perceptions of the observer, particularly when those perceptions are imbued with willfulness.

---As if one could actually be one of the dozen or so best catchers on the whole planet and actually be "lazy."
    Good info. Other than July, when he was probably injured, he has hit excellently.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonn1997 View Post
    Good info. Other than July, when he was probably injured, he has hit excellently.
    Yes, but if you pick out all the individual at-bats you don’t like, then his stats are awful.

I am curious how much negative WAR he accumulated that month.

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

Sanchez has 34 hr in 373 AB. That’s nearly 10% of them. He has the same number if walks

There is roughly a 44% chance that he either walks strikes out or hits a homerun in a given plate appearance.

I wonder where he ranks in the “three outcome” rankings
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes View Post
    Sanchez has 34 hr in 373 AB. That’s nearly 10% of them. He has the same number if walks

There is roughly a 44% chance that he either walks strikes out or hits a homerun in a given plate appearance.

Ive been looking at some of his career stats of late and the surface stats are really all over the place. Despite the bonkers numbers you just described, this year is actually just average for him as far as hr-per-flyball rate (25%). His highest was 40% in those first 230 PAs in 2016. And yet, that year, he also hit groundballs 50% (!) of the time, compared to only 31% this year.

In looking for underlying stats that stick out, I noticed that he was being absolutely killed by sliders last year; he has evened that out this year. Also, he has been taking more pitches in the zone his year than ever before. Most of his other underlying numbers though have been mostly the same. It's also worth noting that, across his career, he has been pretty steady as far as pull/middle/oppo rates go (51%/31%/17%), with a slightly increasing tendency to pull less that is noticeable across the four years.

He’s no Rob Deer.

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

Ive been looking at some of his career stats of late and the surface stats are really all over the place. Despite the bonkers numbers you just described, this year is actually just average for him as far as hr-per-flyball rate (25%). His highest was 40% in those first 230 PAs in 2016. And yet, that year, he also hit groundballs 50% (!) of the time, compared to only 31% this year.

In looking for underlying stats that stick out, I noticed that he was being absolutely killed by sliders last year; he has evened that out this year. Also, he has been taking more pitches in the zone his year than ever before. Most of his other underlying numbers though have been mostly the same. It's also worth noting that, across his career, he has been pretty steady as far as pull/middle/oppo rates go (51%/31%/17%), with a slightly increasing tendency to pull less that is noticeable across the four years.
    That had to be a team/coaching thing. Him, Stanton and Judge all got eaten alive by sliders down and away in the dirt, predictably, all season long.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

That had to be a team/coaching thing. Him, Stanton and Judge all got eaten alive by sliders down and away in the dirt, predictably, all season long.
    Like a team of Sorianos.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Say what you may want about him, but 34 home runs in a somewhat injured season and still on pace to hit 40 of them is simply incredible.

NYYF Legend

Or a these guys are enormous with enormous strike zones thing. Sliders down and away will always be tough for them to cover (really they are tough for any baseball player, but the area these guys have to cover with the same size bat is going to make it tougher barring elite contact skills).

Hitting coaches don’t have nearly the impact I think we all want them to have for blame/credit purposes.

The Death Star is Sputtering Zimmer's Helmet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NYYfan4life90 View Post
    Say what you may want about him, but 34 home runs in a somewhat injured season and still on pace to hit 40 of them is simply incredible.
    40 is the new 30.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

NYYF Legend

I just heard that he could be out for the remainder of the season with this latest injury. If this is true, I think it was stupid for him to try stealing a base last! Did he run on his own, or did Boone give him the steal sign?

NYYF Legend

Next man up, Romine.
    Next man up, Higashioka.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Sixty one View Post
    I just heard that he could be out for the remainder of the season with this latest injury. If this is true, I think it was stupid for him to try stealing a base last! Did he run on his own, or did Boone give him the steal sign?
    Well, Boone didn't give him the Don't steal sign. Sort of like crossing the street when the hand is just flashing, but hasn't gone to full out Stop yet.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    40 is the new 30.
    Absolutely! HR's today are like Weimar Republic money

I know the conditioning team is a huge problem, but when is this guy gonna be able to properly stretch out his groin? He's either out injured or playing hurt and stinking it up ever 2 months.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bauer View Post
    Absolutely! HR's today are like Weimar Republic money
    At least you don't have to bring the homers home in a wheelbarrow.
    "This game has a heartbeat, Brian." -- Joe Torre

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    Well, Boone didn't give him the Don't steal sign. Sort of like crossing the street when the hand is just flashing, but hasn't gone to full out Stop yet.
    On another thread, I mentioned that Boone took the blame for it, saying he gave Gary free reign to run, but someone after that mentioned that Boone likes to cover for his players in public, so we will never get to the bottom of this, unless we give them all truth serum.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubeFmHEVzQ0

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/11/s...y-sanchez.html

For Yankees’ Gary Sanchez, Being in the Moment Has Led to Big Ones
    The catcher credits being mindful for his improvement at the plate and behind it: He more than halved his passed ball total from last year, and his slugging percentage is back up.

During games, Sanchez found himself stewing over his failures or his inability to help his teammates rather than concentrating on the task at hand.

“I didn’t feel like I was with the team because I wasn’t producing defensively or hitting,” he said recently in Spanish while sitting in the dugout. “I was thinking too much. I was too distracted. I looked at anything. It was like I wasn’t there in the moment.”
    Last edited by SatchelPaigeYankee; 10-11-19 at 10:48 AM.

Sanchez could be such an offensive force if he would just be more selective at the plate.

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by 1936-1939JoeNLou View Post
    Sanchez could be such an offensive force if he would just be more selective at the plate.
    And pay more attention to recovery and longevity so he would be sharper, injury proof, have a longer career, also resulting in a hefty contract down the road.

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 1936-1939JoeNLou View Post
    That, sir, is a big "IF."
    Standings: Big Inning 32-16; Blue Cut 27-21; Shoo Fly 26-22; Husk 22-26; Frank Pierce 21-27; Iowa City 16-32.

"director of mental conditioning" - Wow ….

Thread Information