+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Re: 2019 Gary Sanchez performance thread

Quote Originally Posted by Slickman View Post
    Haha, no I posted a large contiguous time frame and posted his numbers in those games. You're free to interpret it differently, but they're still valid and convey information. No need to be obnoxious about it.
    How are September and June contiguous?

Lemme rephrase it then, from 2018 to today, Gary has a 38 game stretch of hitting .264 with a .979 OPS. Outstanding.

The only problem is that stretch is only from Mar 18th to May 31st of 2019. Outside of that hot block, it's been 132 games of sub .700 OPS.

If that doesn't interest or concern you, then fine we have nothing to discuss.

Lemme rephrase it then, from 2018 to today, Gary has a 38 game stretch of hitting .264 with a .979 OPS. Outstanding.

The only problem is that stretch is only from Mar 18th to May 31st of 2019. Outside of that hot block, it's been 132 games of sub .700 OPS.

If that doesn't interest or concern you, then fine we have nothing to discuss.
    Not true. Sanchez hit very well for most of June. As I look at it, his slump began on June 24 and has persisted only through his last 24 games. He hit very well for his first 57 games this year.

Gary got two hits last evening. He needs to consistently churn out multiple hits games to elevate his BA and that should be his primary mission.

Quote Originally Posted by YanksBeatBraves1996 View Post
    Gary got two hits last evening. He needs to consistently churn out multiple hits games to elevate his BA and that should be his primary mission.
    Definitely had better ABs yesterday. As did Judge. But it is Baltimore.
    The Continuance of Being Great, is Getting Number Twenty-Eight

Gary boomed a 3-run HR this afternoon. That's 5 RBI in two games.

Gary subsequently walked and produced another hit. 2-2 so far, bottom of the 6th.
    Last edited by YanksBeatBraves1996; 08-14-19 at 02:01 PM.

Haha, no I posted a large contiguous time frame and posted his numbers in those games. You're free to interpret it differently, but they're still valid and convey information. No need to be obnoxious about it.
    Today messed up your stats

Gary's line for today's game: 3-3, 1 HR, 3 RBI, 1 W.

Quote Originally Posted by YanksBeatBraves1996 View Post
    He doesnít need to go on a binge to raise his season batting average. He just needs to start getting on base at a better pace starting now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonn1997 View Post
    Today messed up your stats
    Haha yeah. As others have said, might just have to accept that he's an insanely streaky hitter.

Haha yeah. As others have said, might just have to accept that he's an insanely streaky hitter.
    He plays a position that is very hard on the body, and he appears to hit worse when injured. There are not many catchers who hit consistently well.

He plays a position that is very hard on the body, and he appears to hit worse when injured. There are not many catchers who hit consistently well.
    Good idea to rest him plenty the rest of the way, Romine is playing well enough that it should be easy especially in September with Higgy also up making DH days easier to manage with risk of losing the DH. Need to keep or get him in a rhythm with key starters but otherwise lots of rest for him from here on out.

Soooo it looks that he shouldnt be traded for a bag of balls after all....

This rings true to me
    "My guys are savages in the box!" - Aaron Boone

Maybe he needs a hustle chit so he doesn't tweak his groin on the basepaths again.

The weird thing about Sanchez is that all his peripherals are almost idential to 2016 and 2017, yet his BABIP this year and last have nosedived. BABIP/LD%/GB%/FB% by year:

2016: .317/16.4/49.3/34.2
    2017: .304/21.1/42.3/36.6
    2018: .197/14.3/42.9/42.9
    2019: .246/22.3/31.8/45.9

He's hitting the ball has hard as ever but one major difference is that this year he's hit much less grounders. I believe grounders have a higher BABIP than fly balls so if he would hit the ball on the ground more, along with the same line drive rate, his luck should increase.

Quote Originally Posted by 1936-1939JoeNLou View Post
    The weird thing about Sanchez is that all his peripherals are almost idential to 2016 and 2017, yet his BABIP this year and last have nosedived. BABIP/LD%/GB%/FB% by year:

He's hitting the ball has hard as ever but one major difference is that this year he's hit much less grounders. I believe grounders have a higher BABIP than fly balls so if he would hit the ball on the ground more, along with the same line drive rate, his luck should increase.
    Per 100 at bats, he’s hitting about six more infield fly balls than he did in 2016 and 2017. Those are basically automatic outlets. That doesn’t fully explain the difference in production, but I think it’s a significant part of the picture.

Per 100 at bats, heís hitting about six more infield fly balls than he did in 2016 and 2017. Those are basically automatic outlets. That doesnít fully explain the difference in production, but I think itís a significant part of the picture.
    Yes thanks for that. Definitely a factor.

Quote Originally Posted by 1936-1939JoeNLou View Post

His BABIP is lower relative to '16/'17 because of the shift. Also, HRs don't get counted in BABIP. He found success earlier this year because he hit fewer groundballs. It's pretty clear that the last thing a slow running catcher should do is hit more of them.

To add: "luck" doesn't increase or decrease. When analytics people talk about "luck", it's just a word used to stand in for variation for which we have no current explanation. There is no actual such thing as luck.

Most encouraging thing I saw yesterday was Gary taking those pitches on the outer third to center field. He was patient in all 4 AB's too. Seemed to be a very conscious game plan. I hope that's the Gary we get through the west coast trip.
    Supports: smart spending, roster flexibility and depth. Does not support: reckless spending and extreme prospect hugging.

Another HR tonight by Gary ...

No posts in this thread in a while; he must be playing well

Fastest position player ever in the AL to 100 HRs

Quote Originally Posted by SatchelPaigeYankee View Post
    No posts in this thread in a while; he must be playing well

Fastest position player ever in the AL to 100 HRs
    Thatís probably the first time Gary Sanchez has ever been described as "fastest position player."

Kind of disgusted at this hackjob of an article. Posting here:

https://nypost.com/2019/08/24/gary-s...bout-baseball/

Sanchez plays his position as if under a spell, a fog that fills him with indifference. He runs the bases — when he’s in the mood — as if he’s lost beyond anything more challenging or thought-worthy than a home run trot.

This kind of armchair-psychologist "mind-reading" editorializing wouldnt be tolerated very well on this forum, but this clown Phil Mushnick can have his own column in which to do it
    Last edited by SatchelPaigeYankee; 08-24-19 at 03:06 PM.

This kind of armchair-psychologist "mind-reading" kind of editorializing wouldnt be tolerated very well on this forum, but this clown Phil Mushnick can have his own column in which to do it
    Newscorp knows its readers

This kind of armchair-psychologist "mind-reading" editorializing wouldnt be tolerated very well on this forum, but this clown Phil Mushnick can have his own column in which to do it
    Pointless rag

Thread Information