+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    Respectfully, with the benefit of hindsight on the season so far I can't imagine why anyone would want Machado, his baggage, and his contract on this team. Please don't pretend he'd have been replacing Urshela -- the comp for him at the time the decision was made was the combination of LeMaheiu and Andujar, and despite Andujar's injury the Yankees got the far better end of that decision.
    I'm on record wanting Andujar being moved to DH if he's not traded even before the off-season started. The combo of Andujar and DJL was Cashman's plan but not mine. I disagree with his plan, not the DJL signing. I would still say the same if it's Andujar instead of Urshela who plays 3B.

Last season Andujar bWAR was 2.2 for a full season. Machado bWAR currently sits at 2.1. So with the benefit of hindsight, it just further makes me to believe that they should sign Machado.

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    I'm on record wanting Andujar being moved to DH if he's not traded even before the off-season started. The combo of Andujar and DJL was Cashman's plan but not mine. I disagree with his plan, not the DJL signing. I would still say the same if it's Andujar instead of Urshela who plays 3B.

Last season Andujar bWAR was 2.2 for a full season. Machado bWAR currently sits at 2.1. So with the benefit of hindsight, it just further makes me to believe that they should sign Machado.
    Also, Cashman shouldn’t get credit for the master plan of LeMahieu + Andújar without taking into account that it also included Tulowitzki at shortstop.

NYYF Legend

Re: 2019 DJ LeMahieu Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Also, Cashman shouldn’t get credit for the master plan of LeMahieu + Andújar without taking into account that it also included Tulowitzki at shortstop.
    He took a flier on Tulo, it was a no brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    What?

Tulowitzki was never more than a stopgap for Didi. Add in Torres' ability to play SS and LeMahieu's proven ability to be a full-time 2B, and Cashman had a built-in contingency if the Tulo experiment bombed.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

What?

Tulowitzki was never more than a stopgap for Didi. Add in Torres' ability to play SS and LeMahieu's proven ability to be a full-time 2B, and Cashman had a built-in contingency if the Tulo experiment bombed.
    Ayuh.

Quote Originally Posted by NYDCYankee View Post
    MLB Highest bWAR Changed Teams in Offseason (Position Players)

DJ LeMahieu NYY 3.0
    Carlos Santana CLE 2.8
    Robinson Chirinos HOU 2.7
    James McCann CHW 2.7
    Josh Donaldson ATL 2.4
    Michael Brantley HOU 2.4

Machado is at 2.1 and the wildly overrated Bryce Harper is at 0.8.

That was all prior to tonight's game, three more hits for DJL tonight.

Ninety-five percent of the posters here were crying in their coffee the day he was signed and raking Cashman over the coals.

The lesson here is that Cashman knows what he is doing. Trust Cashman.
    Fangraphs does have Harper at 1.8 WAR. Still, virtually all the free agents that I and many others here wanted the Yankees to sign have been disappointing. They aren’t playing well enough now to justify the long-term commitment. The Yankees looked cheap at the time but were right to pass on all of them.
    I still don’t get passing on Keuchel but the Yankee seem to know what they’re doing

Quote Originally Posted by YanksBeatBraves1996 View Post
    I was among the 5% who lauded Cashman's bargain signing of LeMahieu.
    In fairness, the ratio of folks who liked DJL was higher than 5%. The concerns with his signing centered more around the optics and the messaging.

I was in the camp that liked DJL as a player just fine, and understood that they were looking at underlying metrics that indicated some degree of improvement was likely in store. Thought it was a bit of an overpay - especially since DJL was not supposed to be an everyday player prior to the Andujar injury and with both Voit and Bird pegged as 1B during the offseason - but was fine with his addition to the roster. Just didn't like that it was a sign that the Yankees were going to prioritize earnings over winning.

All that said, I was STILL totally wrong on this signing. He's in the running for MVP of this team.

Respectfully, with the benefit of hindsight on the season so far I can't imagine why anyone would want Machado, his baggage, and his contract on this team. Please don't pretend he'd have been replacing Urshela -- the comp for him at the time the decision was made was the combination of LeMaheiu and Andujar, and despite Andujar's injury the Yankees got the far better end of that decision.
    I was one of the louder advocates for signing Machado and selling high on Andujar+ for TOR SP. DJL could have and hopefully would have been signed regardless, with Gleyber shifting to SS. So I don't think DJL is out of the equation with a Machado signing, especially if they could have converted that Andujar+ package into a cost-controlled starter and avoided signing Happ.

Also, some players take a while to adjust to new surroundings. Giambi got off to a very pedestrian start in 2002 yet finished the year with a 172 OPS+. Machado's pedestrian start might be shifting; since 5/11 he's hitting .307 / .385 / .557 and has his OPS+ up to 125 on the season. Also, he's almost certainly (and predictably) impacted by Petco. His home triple slash is .236 / .309 / .385. On the road, its .321 / .400 / .607.

People claiming victory on the Machado offseason debate might be a little premature. Honestly, I would absolutely go back to the offseason and sign Machado.

Machado + DJL + SP + Urshela > Urshela + injured Andujar + DJL + Hal's Wallet

DJL sets the record for home runs. It’s fitting.
    NYYFans FBB: Evil Empire

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    In fairness, the ratio of folks who liked DJL was higher than 5%. The concerns with his signing centered more around the optics and the messaging.

I think the % of people that care about optics and messaging is too high. This is baseball, not the Equifax data leak

Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    I think the % of people that care about optics and messaging is too high. This is baseball, not the Equifax data leak
    It does seem like there's some correlation between "optics and messaging" and ticket sales, but wouldn't have any idea how to quantify it. I would think the Yankees have much less drastic swings in season ticket sales or overall attendance based on offseason moves than other teams whose fan bases have legitimate reason to lose interest.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    I may have misused those terms. I wasn't talking about optics in the sense that the team would appear cheap. I was intending to indicate a more actual real-time concern that the team was more interested in saving money than going after top talent. Which, regardless of current results, is what ended up happening.

NYYF Legend

The only AL players batting at least .300 with at least 50 RBI are Trout and LeMahieu.

He's like good or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by DEADSOX
    We won, stop bitching. Bitches.
    **This Space For Rent**

NYYF Legend

Cashman should give Jim Hendry a pay raise.

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

DJ's performance is rather acceptable at the moment.
    Standings: Big Inning 32-16; Blue Cut 27-21; Shoo Fly 26-22; Husk 22-26; Frank Pierce 21-27; Iowa City 16-32.

Amazing.
    Let's Go Yankees!

Mvp! Mvp! Mvp!

Should legit be considered for AL MVP.

It's a long season
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by SLURPEE View Post
    Should legit be considered for AL MVP.
    If they go by the true intended meaning of the award, which is the most valuable player to their team, he's got to be up there. It's not supposed to be based purely on stats unless there's no clear cut answer to that. If you look at what the Yankees went through, playing with their B squad, it's tough to argue another player more valuable to the success of their team than DJL.

But yeah, it's a long season.

NYYF Legend

I wanted Machado. But DJL has exceed all expectations so far. Hard to complain about how it's shaken out so far.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

How many games has he bat leadoff? Dude's got 52 friggin RBI including today. That's insane from a leadoff hitter. I know he was in the middle of the lineup for a bit though.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    If they go by the true intended meaning of the award, which is the most valuable player to their team, he's got to be up there. It's not supposed to be based purely on stats unless there's no clear cut answer to that. If you look at what the Yankees went through, playing with their B squad, it's tough to argue another player more valuable to the success of their team than DJL.

But yeah, it's a long season.
    He's been very good for the Yankees but not really more so than Trout or Bregman.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    He's been very good for the Yankees but not really more so than Trout or Bregman.
    I know as long as Trout is in the league it's going to be a hard case to make for anyone else. The guy is insanely consistent. It's like the dude is virtually impervious to slumps. I don't debate he's the better ballplayer, he's the best in the world. But I'm just saying that DJ has to be in the discussion at this point for what he's done for the Yankees to stay in contention.

Houston is probably going to the playoffs. And so are we. The Angels, who knows. WHat are they, 9 or 10 games out? .500 team? Not so sure.

I get your point. But he's got to be up there.

Thread Information