+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 12 ... LastLast
    not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

Re: 2019 DJ LeMahieu Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    The worst move was not signing Harper. The second is not grabbing Keuchel.
    Keuchel's underlying numbers suggest he's falling off a cliff, so I"m fine with them passing on him for now.

As for DLM, I like the signing. His body doesn't look like it would be good in the field but he fields very well.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

NYYF Legend

He's leading off and playing second after missing three games in five days due to injury. After he didn't play yesterday, I said that if he was unavailable today, he should go on the IL to make room for Andujar. Luckily, that wasn't necessary.

NYYF Legend

DJ LeMahieu hitting .339 this season, 1.1 WAR, 126OPS+
    Bryce Harper hitting .231 this season, .3 WAR, 120OPS+
    Manny Machado hitting .237 this season, 1.2WAR, 103 OPS+

The amount of crap cashman took when he signed this guy was through the rough. Everyone assumed he wouldn't be able to get the job done outside of Coors. Thus far he's been downright impressive ranking 2nd in the league with RISP (.517 16RBIs). He's exactly what this team needed, a versatile gold glove caliber infielder that isn't another high HR high K guy.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by smckdwn989 View Post
    DJ LeMahieu hitting .339 this season, 1.1 WAR, 126OPS+
    Bryce Harper hitting .231 this season, .3 WAR, 120OPS+
    Manny Machado hitting .237 this season, 1.2WAR, 103 OPS+

The amount of crap cashman took when he signed this guy was through the rough. Everyone assumed he wouldn't be able to get the job done outside of Coors. Thus far he's been downright impressive ranking 2nd in the league with RISP (.517 16RBIs). He's exactly what this team needed, a versatile gold glove caliber infielder that isn't another high HR high K guy.
    The huge amount of crap Cashman took for this signing was not about DJL. It's Cashman using this signing (or we have six OFer) to justify not signing Machado or Harper.

Many people think that with the resources the Yankees have they could do better.

NYYF Legend

Teams should sign players who fans will like during most of the contract, not who fans will like to brag about when the signing happens and for half of a ten year contract. Machado has a .819 career OPS, which is the same as Alfonso Soriano. Soriano's highest salary was $19,000,000, and I don't think he'll get many Hall of Fame votes. Shouldn't only future Hall of Famers get as much as Harper and Machado got? By paying that much, you're inducting them into the salary hall of fame, which doesn't exist but I don't care. Harper's career OPS of .897 is significantly better than Machado's, but I wouldn't want to give Harper anywhere near the $330,000,000 total he got. Kevin Youkilis had a .861 career OPS and never made more than $12,250,000. Bobby Abreu had a .870 career OPS and never made more than $16,000,000. I could give more examples. The mean of Machado and Harper is .858, which is lower than Youkilis and Abreu.

Going from general comments to the Yankees, even if I knew during the offseason that Andujar would struggle hitting (hopefully he will improve, but let's say he doesn't), I still wouldn't have wanted Machado, and given how Machado has hit this year, I'm happy not to have him. Gregorius and Hicks became stars after coming to the Yankees. Maybe Urshela can do the same.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    The huge amount of crap Cashman took for this signing was not about DJL. It's Cashman using this signing (or we have six OFer) to justify not signing Machado or Harper.

Many people think that with the resources the Yankees have they could do better.
    That's simply not true, go look at the posts. Many people cited DJ profiling to be a Coors product and expected him to be a poor hitter for the Yankees.

NYYF Legend

That's simply not true, go look at the posts. Many people cited DJ profiling to be a Coors product and expected him to be a poor hitter for the Yankees.
    Which is a reasonable take.

NYYF Legend

Which is a reasonable take.
    I argued otherwise, his H/A splits weren't nearly as bad as people were making them out to be. He's been a great signing for cashman, it's not really something that can be argued to this point. This team doesn't need a slugger at every position, a guy like LeMahieu makes things happen and has proven to be pretty damn clutch.

NYYF Legend

I argued otherwise, his H/A splits weren't nearly as bad as people were making them out to be. He's been a great signing for cashman, it's not really something that can be argued to this point. This team doesn't need a slugger at every position, a guy like LeMahieu makes things happen and has proven to be pretty damn clutch.
    He's a career 92 OPS+ hitter before this season. He won a batting title and that year was the only season in which he had a OPS+ above 100.

NYYF Legend

Home
    .330/.388/.447

Away
    .266/.313/.365

No argument that the signing is looking good currently but let's not act like people complaining about this signing back then were without any merit.

He's a career 92 OPS+ hitter before this season. He won a batting title and that year was the only season in which he had a OPS+ above 100.
    OPS is a terrible metric for a spray hitter without power. Overvalues power. Batting Average may be out of favor, but it's actually a more reasonable measure for a non-power hitter. His career BA is .299.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    OPS is a terrible metric for a spray hitter without power. Overvalues power. Batting Average may be out of favor, but it's actually a more reasonable measure for a non-power hitter. His career BA is .299.
    What stats you prefer other than OPS+ for spray hitters?

If it's BA, sure people would question his .299 career number because of the Coors effect. His career away BA is .266.

NYYF Legend

Didn't someone do a study fairly recently that suggests "the Coors effect" of dramatic home/away splits doesn't really follow players to their next teams?
    "This game has a heartbeat, Brian." -- Joe Torre

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    Maynerd, I have reservations about OPS+, too. So letís look at wRC+, which weighs each event - hit, walk, extra-base hit - according to its run-scoring value. Outside of his batting-title year, LeMahieu's highest wRC+ was 94.

Urshela, LeMahieu and Maybin are all batting above .320 with Frazier and Estrada hovering around .300. These high batting averages are as a result of hitting singles which move batters into scoring position and then driving them home with singles.

The above five players were not regulars from last season. The hitting strategy has changed dramatically and some have credited hitting coach Marcus Thames with communicating effectively with the substitutes. Meanwhile, the "regulars" Gardy, Sanchez, Andujar and Torres aren't sold on Thames.

Quote Originally Posted by YanksBeatBraves1996 View Post
    Urshela, LeMahieu and Maybin are all batting above .320 with Frazier and Estrada hovering around .300. These high batting averages are as a result of hitting singles which move batters into scoring position and then driving them home with singles.

The above five players were not regulars from last season. The hitting strategy has changed dramatically and some have credited hitting coach Marcus Thames with communicating effectively with the substitutes. Meanwhile, the "regulars" Gardy, Sanchez, Andujar and Torres aren't sold on Thames.
    I'm not sure how to evaluate that last statement unless you back it up with a source.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    I'm not sure how to evaluate that last statement unless you back it up with a source.
    Let's also not get ahead of ourselves - some of those SSS batting averages aren't likely to last

Heís basically the mvp of this team right now. I knew this dude was going to be good, I was not expecting this level. Heís gone above and beyond any expectations I had of him.
    NYYFans FBB: Evil Empire

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    Heís basically the mvp of this team right now. I knew this dude was going to be good, I was not expecting this level. Heís gone above and beyond any expectations I had of him.
    Agreed. Even if he cools off, he definitely came up big when the team really need him to, with all the injuries. And his flexibility has been invaluable.

Quote Originally Posted by YFIB View Post
    Agreed. Even if he cools off, he definitely came up big when the team really need him to, with all the injuries. And his flexibility has been invaluable.
    His defense alone is phenomenal, and yeah his versatility cannot be understated. When Cashman signed him I noticed a lot of Colorado fans saying how we were going to love this guy and that he would become a fan favorite. Boy were they were right. I hopped on Reddit to get a feel of how the hometown fans felt about him. I followed him prior for fantasy baseball reasons so I knew what he could do, but this is great. He’s always in the middle of rallies, knocking in tying runs, go ahead runs, or scoring them because he was on base, went first to third, etc. he’s just a ball player. He’s definitely become one of my favorite signings.
    NYYFans FBB: Evil Empire

Love the way he plays the game and I wouldn't disagree that he is one of the top players on this team current state.

He is a lot of fun to watch.

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by YanksBeatBraves1996 View Post

I'm not sure there is anything to back this, but it will be awesome to mix in Judge, Stanton and the OBP machine of Hicks to this high BA lineup. With a proper lineup (Gardner on the bench), our worst hitter is going to be Hicks or Didi at this rate, which is insane, because they're both good hitters. They're top hitters on any other team.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    Didn't someone do a study fairly recently that suggests "the Coors effect" of dramatic home/away splits doesn't really follow players to their next teams?

Yes, and I think the conclusion was that while their home numbers do in fact take a hit, their road numbers actually improve due to the fact that they are not playing a majority of their away games in the other NL west parks. This makes sense when analyzing power hitters, but not sure how it applies to a hitter like DJL.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Maynerd, I have reservations about OPS+, too. So letís look at wRC+, which weighs each event - hit, walk, extra-base hit - according to its run-scoring value. Outside of his batting-title year, LeMahieu's highest wRC+ was 94.
    wRC+ is probably a better measure of a hitter like LeMahieu than OPS will ever be.

I don't know how to say it, because I don't care a lot for an "eye test," but it seems that's all I've got. I watched DJ play parts of a couple years at AAA here in Colorado Springs, and I really liked what I saw. Then, while I don't follow the Rockies closely, I'm kinda inundated with Rockies Baseball due to geography, and saw the same hitter I had admired in AAA.

When the Yankees signed him, I was one of those people who chuckled at the nay-sayers. He's a well-above-replacement hitter, albeit one with little power. Seems to me the Yankees needed someone just like that. He's an absolutely outstanding defensive player, and brings some versatility to the table. The Yankees needed that, too.

I'm not the least bit surprised with what he has provided these last six weeks.......I just don't have any stats or metrics to justify my expectations.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

NYYF Legend

Gio is the MVP of this young season so far. LeMa is doing what he's done. Gio is providing offense that no one ever expected.
    There's a sinister plot a brewin'

Thread Information