+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Addicted Member

Re: 2019 Gleyber Torres Thread

Quote Originally Posted by JBursch23 View Post
    This wonít be a popular opinion, but I think the Yankees should see what value Torres could get in the trade market.

This isnít an indictment on him as a player. I think heís a good player. Heís an ascending player.

But I also think we have Gleyber Torres. And I also think heís overrated by many. And I also think Miguel Andujar is the better hitting, young player.

Consider:

The Yankees are locked into Judge, Stanton, and Hicks. Three guys that are similar players...high OBP/OPS and K players.

The Yankees are most likely going to lock into Sanchez. Heís another high OPS/K guy.

All of these guys are RH to boot.

The Yankees have decisions on Voit, Didi, Torres, and Andujar.

Essentially, the Yankees are filled with redundancy. Iím not sure what dynamic Torres brings. Is he a really good player? You bet. However, I donít think it would hurt to see what he could fetch.

Personally, I donít think he will be the hitter or fielder that Cano was. And I think the Yankees would be better served committing to Andujar, even if as a DH. Heís the better hitter, IMO.

Torres may be able to bring a frontline starter or a swap of another young MI that may provide a few different skills.

Do I think he needs to go? Or that he should be on the block? No. I just donít think it could hurt to see what you could get for him...which should be a ton.

A perfectly reasonable proposal. I have to say I'm coming to the opinion that Torres is not of the MVP type. A good fielder and hitter, to be sure. But I'm not convinced he's of the .300 level (i.e., super-high-and-successful contact) that this homer-and-k-heavy lineup needs. And, indeed, the redundancy argument, above, is compelling.

That said, were Torres to wind up this season with .300 and 25-30 hrs, I'd reconsider (and be prepared to scuttle) everything I just wrote.

Gleyber >>> Andujar

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    I've just got to imagine that if the ball is literally hit right at your seat, it's a natural reaction to attempt to catch it, even if that means leaning forward a little to get it. Bartman's situation was a little different, as a mile high fly that was coming down towards him and would have missed him if he hadn't leaned, but this situation was a rocket hit right at this guy. What's he supposed to do, climb over people to get out of the way? Stand there and let it hit him?

Maybe baseball shouldn't put seats literally right up against the field of play.
    I mean, everybody seems to have the reaction you wondered about, except for the guy who had to move into the line of the ball's trajectory and ultimately interfere with Gordon.

"Be a voice, not an echo." - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Melancynic View Post
    Gleyber >>> Andujar

People are forgetting he is 22
    "My guys are savages in the box!" - Aaron Boone

He has looked pretty shaky on defense. Should be forced to do 40 situps every time he plays one off his hips instead of keeping his body in front of the ball.

Left-Handed Catcher

Quote Originally Posted by GleyToe18 View Post
    He has looked pretty shaky on defense. Should be forced to do 40 situps every time he plays one off his hips instead of keeping his body in front of the ball.
    We already have a guy doing this ridiculous gimmick.

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    I mean, everybody seems to have the reaction you wondered about, except for the guy who had to move into the line of the ball's trajectory and ultimately interfere with Gordon.

More like lean into than move into. We're talking seconds from ball meeting bat to ball getting to your immediate proximity. Off the bat, a fan in this position probably feels like it's going to fall into his lap. As the ball quickly gets closer, I doubt many fans in that situation will be thinking "this ball is going to hit the top of the wall before probably ricocheting into my junk, I'd better just duck and cover" or track the outfielder, the wall, the ball and force yourself not to attempt to catch it until you're mathematically certain the ball isn't going to rack you. I'm sure it's quite instinctive to reach out to catch it.

I just don't get blaming a fan for that. There's intentional and instinctive motivation to do this. Didn't work out for us, but that's an architectural problem not an individual fan's problem. A cherry picked still frame doesn't prove those around this guy to be Super Fans and this guy to be Persona Non Grata. If you watch the video, the guys that appear to be diving for cover were actually also interested in the ball but bailed protectively when it was clear it wasn't going directly at them.

One guy even appears to have his hands in the air in a gesture that might be interpreted as something like "what the hell are you doing??"
    ...and this guy had his hands up way before it was determined where that ball was going to land, so no...

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    More like lean into than move into. We're talking seconds from ball meeting bat to ball getting to your immediate proximity. Off the bat, a fan in this position probably feels like it's going to fall into his lap. As the ball quickly gets closer, I doubt many fans in that situation will be thinking "this ball is going to hit the top of the wall before probably ricocheting into my junk, I'd better just duck and cover" or track the outfielder, the wall, the ball and force yourself not to attempt to catch it until you're mathematically certain the ball isn't going to rack you. I'm sure it's quite instinctive to reach out to catch it.

I just don't get blaming a fan for that. There's intentional and instinctive motivation to do this. Didn't work out for us, but that's an architectural problem not an individual fan's problem. A cherry picked still frame doesn't prove those around this guy to be Super Fans and this guy to be Persona Non Grata. If you watch the video, the guys that appear to be diving for cover were actually also interested in the ball but bailed protectively when it was clear it wasn't going directly at them.
    I’m not absolving teams from the responsibility of applying some type of barrier, but the dude either forgot where he was or has no bleeps to give. Either way, yes: it was either instinctive or intentional.

I mean, I get it. MLB wants to put the fans as close to the action as possible, and they share in some level of the blame (however hilariously-unaccountably so); but when you buy a ticket on the rail, be prepared to accept the responsibilities that come with it.

ETA: When I said to eject him into the next zip code, I was speaking in jest. Ricocheted off the scoreboard would’ve sufficed.
    "Be a voice, not an echo." - Albert Einstein

He continues to be a complete butcher at short. Should be immediately pulled out of the game after his next error as a public reprimand. It worked with Reggie Jackson.

He continues to be a complete butcher at short. Should be immediately pulled out of the game after his next error as a public reprimand. It worked with Reggie Jackson.
    Did it work? I mean, did it make Reggie a better player?

Why do you think this will help? Is there any research that shows that public humiliation improves performance in any field?

Quote Originally Posted by SatchelPaigeYankee View Post
    People are forgetting he is 22
    This. He is going nowhere and shouldnít.

Gleyber Torres is going to a long-term fixture on this team. He'll have his struggles but I fully expect him to blossom into a great player.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

Is it just me, or does he look better at SS than at 2B?
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

NYYF Legend

Listed as "day-to-day" after hit on elbow, may miss Saturday's game.
    "This game has a heartbeat, Brian." -- Joe Torre

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ajra21 View Post
    Is it just me, or does he look better at SS than at 2B?
    I was thinking the same thing although Iím not sure what the numbers say. I do think it is a misconception that 2B is automatically easier to play. Yes, you generally need a stronger arm to play SS but you still need to have good range to play 2B, and you need to be able to execute the ďpivotĒ on double play balls. I recall hearing that Tulo preferred SS over 2B and never really felt comfortable at 2nd.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    Listed as "day-to-day" after hit on elbow, may miss Saturday's game.
    He was due, one of only a couple at most position players that hasnít had some injury scare. When he got hit I figured heíd get at least today off, hopefully not more though.

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    I was thinking the same thing although Iím not sure what the numbers say. I do think it is a misconception that 2B is automatically easier to play. Yes, you generally need a stronger arm to play SS but you still need to have good range to play 2B, and you need to be able to execute the ďpivotĒ on double play balls. I recall hearing that Tulo preferred SS over 2B and never really felt comfortable at 2nd.
    It seems to me that very few of the superstar shortstops ever showed much interest or ability to play second. Obviously there are plenty of utility guys who can do it, but I'm having a hard time thinking of a HOF-level or even perennial All Star-level SS who could just slide over to 2B. Torres plays both positions but I'm inclined (based on nothing but the eye test) that he's a better SS than 2B. SS is his natural position, after all.

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    It seems to me that very few of the superstar shortstops ever showed much interest or ability to play second. Obviously there are plenty of utility guys who can do it, but I'm having a hard time thinking of a HOF-level or even perennial All Star-level SS who could just slide over to 2B. Torres plays both positions but I'm inclined (based on nothing but the eye test) that he's a better SS than 2B. SS is his natural position, after all.
    Most were never asked to. Although most of the great 2B were probably SS at one point. Gleyber is solid enough at SS where he could stay there but is not elite so doesn't need to.

We wonít ever know how good a shortstop Robinson Canů could have been.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Wait what? Don't tell me that evil Derek Jeter stood in his way too.

Honestly I always thought he would've been a great 3rd baseman, given his soft hands and strong arm. But what do I know
    "My guys are savages in the box!" - Aaron Boone

NYYF Legend

I love Gleyber, but through one year of playing, heís one of the worst baserunners Iíve ever seen. That includes Posada.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Wait what? Don't tell me that evil Derek Jeter stood in his way too.
    Was Cano ever even viewed as a SS in the minors? Of his 495 mL games, only 80 of them are at SS. 396 games at 2B.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    Was Cano ever even viewed as a SS in the minors? Of his 495 mL games, only 80 of them are at SS. 396 games at 2B.
    To some degree he was. But he moved fairly early cos they knew he wouldn't play SS when they had Jeter. IIRC, Cano also played 3B in the minors too.

I've long thought he ended up at 2B because of Jeter and A-Rod but I could be completely wrong.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

Thread Information