+ Reply to Thread
Page 46 of 49 FirstFirst ... 36 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,150 of 1201

Re: 2019 Aaron Boone Performance Thread

Our problem is, too many of our players would be the top player if he was on some low-rent not-even-trying team, which means when we rest 2 of them, we’re resting two stars... what we need to do is replace a bunch of our best guys with cheap scrubs and then no one will care when they’re rested!

NYYF Cy Young

I heard Boone say on the post game interview that he gave Sanchez permission to attempt to steal. Stupid!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubeFmHEVzQ0

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Messerwhitescooter View Post
    I heard Boone say on the post game interview that he gave Sanchez permission to attempt to steal. Stupid!

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

I'm not sure what is dumber- giving permission to steal or actually using that permission to try and steal.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

Seriously, if Sánchez pulls his groin every time he runs hard he needs some serious work on conditioning and flexibility.
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes View Post
    I'm not sure what is dumber- giving permission to steal or actually using that permission to try and steal.
    Neither and both. Im sure most players have the light to steal but it rarely happens. Laregly because, whats the benefit?

That being said, if Gary's groin is that vulnerable. It was going to be an issue at some point.
    He wasnt going to go the remainder of the year at a polite trot around the field.

NYYF Legend

Not much traffic in this thread lately!

The worst manager in MLB history has just become the first manager ever to start his career with back to back 100-win seasons. Congratulations!

NYYF Legend

Boone looks like he's really settled into the leadership portion of his role as good as any Yankee fan could have ever hoped. His work in that vein this season, highpointed by the now famous savages rant, has really made that aspect of his performance stand out in a very positive way.

It's amazing, because even though I accepted that the Yankees saw something exceptional when they hired him, I personally didn't see it at first. He often seemed timid and hands off due to inexperience and/or personality. But man does he look different to me right now. There's a very early-Torre feel to the way they all fight and rally behind him, combined with the way he is the calmest guy in the dugout yet still very much in control.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

when the going gets tough ... JSG's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    Boone looks like he's really settled into the leadership portion of his role as good as any Yankee fan could have ever hoped. His work in that vein this season, highpointed by the now famous savages rant, has really made that aspect of his performance stand out in a very positive way.

It's amazing, because even though I accepted that the Yankees saw something exceptional when they hired him, I personally didn't see it at first. He often seemed timid and hands off due to inexperience and/or personality. But man does he look different to me right now. There's a very early-Torre feel to the way they all fight and rally behind him, combined with the way he is the calmest guy in the dugout yet still very much in control.
    Agreed. He’s also improved a lot from last year IMHO. He still drives you crazy at times with attempts to “steal outs” and leave B or C pitchers in too long well past expiration. Worst case was last yr ALDS. That said, NYY were the only team in the league not to ever use a reliever 3 days in a row. And to not only hold the team together w all the injuries but to have it excel, you have to give him a lot of credit. He takes a lot of undeserved crap around here but so what. He’s done a really solid job and you can tell his players really love playing for him and have his back. I really liked Joey G but he was too tightly wound. Boone is more even keel, a very smart guy, and a great communicator. And let’s face it, his Savages rant was world class. I think Cashman made a great choice and I would be surprised if he’s not in the saddle for a long while.

https://nypost.com/2019/09/20/aaron-...ore-is-on-way/

Quote Originally Posted by JSG View Post
    He still drives you crazy at times with attempts to “steal outs” and leave B or C pitchers in too long well past expiration. Worst case was last yr ALDS.

That's by far the biggest criticism of Boone. The problem is that's an awful important one, especially in the playoffs.
    Your post is fair though. He does deserve a lot of credit. It's just the handling (or mishandling) of the starting pitchers that sticks with people.

The starters are averaging less than six innings. It’s hard to say he’s leaving guys in too long.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonn1997 View Post
    The starters are averaging less than six innings. It’s hard to say he’s leaving guys in too long.
    Is that a deliberate misreading of the earlier post?

Quote Originally Posted by EGK View Post
    That's by far the biggest criticism of Boone. The problem is that's an awful important one, especially in the playoffs.
    Your post is fair though. He does deserve a lot of credit. It's just the handling (or mishandling) of the starting pitchers that sticks with people.
    OK, so to fine tune it a bit, I think a fair amount of the criticism is misplaced. The bad: Last yr ALDS and from time to time this yr, there were a few BOOM single single BOOM, OK time for a change moments, but not that many IMHO. The good: He did a solid job of keeping the pen fresh and rested, which should be huge for October, and he also had some big limitations w the starting rotation, w injuries to everyone except Tanaka, and extended bad stretches for everyone including Tanaka. So in context the manager doesn't have the luxury of making all changes by the book or having a hair trigger, or you'll just burn everyone out. He seems to me a lot better in this regard, so my guess is he's learned from last year's ALDS debacle and he'll be a lot better this playoffs. Yeah, you want to show trust in your pitchers, but come playoffs you have to nip it in the bud. I have to think he gets this now. [K.O.W.]

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Is that a deliberate misreading of the earlier post?
    I don't know about deliberate but it doesn't seem to address the specific complaint.

Yes Boone does try to steal outs, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I personally think he's handled the pen very well this year overall. I don't mind bringing in lesser relievers to try to steal a few outs with the Yanks up 4 and certainly don't mind lesser relievers being asked to hold a 2 run defict in the 7th or 8th. Those two specific situations seem to draw the most criticism from Boone as he supposedly "lets possible comeback wins become blowouts" and crates situations where he has to go to his better relievers when the stealing outs doesn't work.

Heading into October it doesn't feel as though any reliever is hitting a wall due to overuse like Betances did a couple years ago and 2 of the 3 relievers with the most innings pitched for New York, Cessa and Cortes are hopefully not asked to get high leverage outs in the playoffs. In fact before the German news I think it was highly unlikely Cortes was going to make the post season roster and he still may not.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

Congratulations to Aaron Boone for leading this team to a very satisfying divisional title. A solid unit of overachievers who have kept their eye on the prize under Aaron's confident, calm demeanor, which is apparently what Cashman saw in him two years ago.

I'm really interested in seeing how Boone handles his pitching staff in October. He may very well make some non-traditional decisions, which would again show his leadership skills, his confidence, and the faith he has in his players.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

Some of you guys arent being very nice.

Back to back 100 win seasons to start his managing career, and with 2 big time injury riddled seasons. Boone is almost a lock for MOY.

But he stinks....
    The Continuance of Being Great, is Getting Number Twenty-Eight

NYYF Legend

Really good read on the guy at the helm.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...as-made-moment

THE WORLD, TO Aaron Boone, is a million-piece puzzle, and he gathers the pieces one at a time. His mind naturally banks everything he sees, no matter how tiny the detail. This skill has led to his signature party trick: His imitations of Joe Torre walking to the mound and Alex Rodriguez's distinctive habits at the plate -- and the physical tics of dozens of other baseball players -- are too good to be parody. He can become whomever he pleases.

And it doesn't end with impressions. Watching Boone canvass the Yankees' clubhouse is like watching a politician work a room. Boone processes everything while looking at nothing in particular. Each pat on the back comes with a motive. No question asked is benign. During batting practice, Boone lobs compliments at players around the cage -- "I like the moves that you're making," he'll say -- asks about their approach, filters and notates changes. He is processing information, collating it, filing it away for when he'll need it next.
    "He's always watching," Yankees star Aaron Judge says. "He's not just sitting in his office, writing the lineup, coming out to give a couple signs. He's involved with all of us. The pitchers, the hitters. He's got perfect timing with all of that."

This, as much as anything, is the quality that convinced the Yankees he could succeed despite his inexperience -- this sixth sense that baseball people call feel. Those who have feel get it -- the interpersonal relationships, the gravity of situations, the how and the why. Feel is walking into a room, taking its temperature and understanding what matters to every person.

The Yankees' 2019 roster, with its MLB-record 30 different players spending time on the injured list, presented plenty of challenges for Boone's people skills. He needed to assimilate fill-in players and make them feel like regulars. "He told me I belonged," said third baseman Gio Urshela, who joined the Yankees in New York after Miguel Andujar tore his shoulder in April. While that seems like a simple thing, Urshela had spent 2018 bouncing around the Triple-A homes of the Cleveland Indians, Toronto Blue Jays and Yankees, fearful that at 26 years old he might forever find himself pigeonholed in the minor leagues. Instead, he wound up one of a handful of Yankees breakouts this year.

At the same time, Boone had to nurture the egos of a record number of injured players, whose mental fragility is often as acute as the physical. Injuries cause doubt, and doubt festers, and the entire ecosystem of a clubhouse can rot amid the disease. These players -- some of the Yankees' biggest stars, including Giancarlo Stanton and Gary Sanchez -- needed to understand they were still an important part of the team, regardless of its success in their absence. Boone took great care in this balance -- in back-patting, in question-asking, in temperature-taking, in understanding.

"He's always been a great people person and knows how to communicate with people," says pitcher CC Sabathia, at 39 the most wizened Yankee. "That's the biggest thing in the game today."
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

^^ Thanks for posting that. I think Boone has done a fantastic job throughout the regular season, and I really hope we see the team play at their best in the days ahead.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

More of the same and agreed: kudos.

https://nypost.com/2019/10/03/yankee...year-material/

excellent articles
    "My guys are savages in the box!" - Aaron Boone

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    Not much traffic in this thread lately!

The worst manager in MLB history has just become the first manager ever to start his career with back to back 100-win seasons. Congratulations!
    We are doing paradox in class today, so your post is timely. Ripeness is all!
    Standings: Big Inning 32-16; Blue Cut 27-21; Shoo Fly 26-22; Husk 22-26; Frank Pierce 21-27; Iowa City 16-32.

Quote Originally Posted by hardrain View Post
    Paradox specifically in Lear, or in general?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by hardrain View Post
    One doctor wasn't enough to cure me. It took a paradox.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    One doctor wasn't enough to cure me. It took a paradox.
    One day in Africa I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas I'll never know.

We tried to remove the elephant's tusks but they were in too tight. Of course in Alabama the Tuscaloosa.
    "This game has a heartbeat, Brian." -- Joe Torre

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    One day in Africa I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas I'll never know.

We tried to remove the elephant's tusks but they were in too tight. Of course in Alabama the Tuscaloosa.
    Did someone call you schnorrer?

Thread Information