+ Reply to Thread
Page 47 of 48 FirstFirst ... 37 44 45 46 47 48 LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,175 of 1197
    when the going gets tough ... JSG's Avatar

Re: 2019 Aaron Boone Performance Thread

Have to give Boone credit. Last year in the playoffs he drove me nuts
    with his slow hook. Tonight he just hammered on the Twins with our best relievers and gave them no room to breathe.

I agree, great job by Boone tonight.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Seconded, and thirded !!

His hooks of Kahnle and Green were pretty quick but he had a plan. He also erased last yr and was on the right side of the law. Then with Happ up it made even more sense. Also nice using Britton in the seventh, scrapping the regular season formulas and just going for the W. I also think it sent the right message: no margin for error. He was a savage in the dugout.

Much better job last night than what we saw last year. He seems to be growing as a manager, which is a really good sign.

And with an opening line like this, I guess you have to read the article ......

By the end of this month, Aaron Boone might be more fried than a pizza delivery guy at a Cheech & Chong film festival.

https://nypost.com/2019/10/05/aaron-...-pushing-them/

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    One day in Africa I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas I'll never know.

We tried to remove the elephant's tusks but they were in too tight. Of course in Alabama the Tuscaloosa.
    S.J. Perleman...great comedy script writer for the Marx Bros
    Standings: Big Inning 32-16; Blue Cut 27-21; Shoo Fly 26-22; Husk 22-26; Frank Pierce 21-27; Iowa City 16-32.

NYYF Triple Crown

I may have been the biggest critic last year and thought he was a mistake. I want to say he did an outstanding job this series. We are going to need this going forward (HOU?) I really can't believe it's the same manager. I would have pulled Sevy and Didi the second game but both were better moving forward. I like win now and worry about tomorrow later. I saw others warming up but went to the better pitcher. Mainly the pen management, keeping the same lineup, and having a quick hook in leverage situation. I really like Kahnle (sp?) and Green out of the pen.

NYYF Legend

Either Boone or the organization (probably both) learned from their biggest mistake last year and had guys warming the first sign of trouble. Leveraging the bullpen as the strength of the team has to be the priority.

NYYF Legend

I loved that he had a quick hook with Kahnle. Dude was getting hit hard and had no command. I thought it was a bold move to take Ottavino out after 1 batter but it worked out. You can't have the guy walking the bases loaded in the postseason.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    I loved that he had a quick hook with Kahnle. Dude was getting hit hard and had no command. I thought it was a bold move to take Ottavino out after 1 batter but it worked out. You can't have the guy walking the bases loaded in the postseason.
    I like that he is managing less mechanically than Joe G. I was not a fan of how Boone managed last season, but he seems to have grown quite a bit.

Righto. When Ottavino can't really command the sweeping slider, it basically screams at you: OK, it might take me a while to figure this out, maybe walk a few more people, but then I'll pull a great escape, OK ?? --> NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by matt2351 View Post
    I like that he is managing less mechanically than Joe G. I was not a fan of how Boone managed last season, but he seems to have grown quite a bit.
    Great point. I hadn't really looked at that way, but Joey G really was more of a mechanistic black binder kind of guy -- and I liked Joey G. Boone is more open minded and more apt to surprise you with out of the box thinking. Say, batting Gardner third, or following the rapid-fire quick hooks with Britton in the 7th and Happ in the 8th. Or by being a low key optimistic communicator most of the time, and then launching into the immortal savages at the plate rant. Per solid NYT article on Boone a few days ago, Cashman said, the guy's like a sponge and keeps processing and absorbing new info. That seems evident to me, along the lines of your point. Bodes well for the future IMHO.

reposted here: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/04/s...e-yankees.html

It's funny how I almost never even think about the fact that his brother Bret is one of the players I most despised during his time in the league. That guy was so full of roids it was insane.

NYYF Legend

I am always down for a quick hook with Walkavino.

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    It's funny how I almost never even think about the fact that his brother Bret is one of the players I most despised during his time in the league. That guy was so full of roids it was insane.
    Bret Boone makes me think of the old poster "Steinbrenner" that we used to have here. His rants about how the Yankees needed to get Bret Boone to save the franchise were classics.
    "This game has a heartbeat, Brian." -- Joe Torre

I am always down for a quick hook with Walkavino.

Bret Boone makes me think of the old poster "Steinbrenner" that we used to have here. His rants about how the Yankees needed to get Bret Boone to save the franchise were classics.
    Bret's absolute silence when Aaron hit the walkoff in 03 is what I'll remember most, especially when I found out recentish in an interview with Buck that all the producers were screaming in his ear to say anything
    Assistant to the Manager
    Analytical Department of Analytics

Quote Originally Posted by spanky185 View Post
    Bret's absolute silence when Aaron hit the walkoff in 03 is what I'll remember most, especially when I found out recentish in an interview with Buck that all the producers were screaming in his ear to say anything
    Here's an excerpt from Bret's book that goes into this.
    https://www.si.com/mlb/2016/05/11/br...3-yankees-alcs

He says he was speechless because he was so happy. At the time, watching it on TV, all I saw was jealousy.

I've said this 100x. I think a manager's job is organizing his roster for its best usage (which includes managing for a 162 game season), keeping the players focused and happy, and then letting them play the game without shooting yourself in the foot with too many dumb moves (and they all make questionable decisions).

Boone is perfectly fine.(even though initially I wasn't all that crazy about him)
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

NYYF Legend

Here's an excerpt from Bret's book that goes into this.
    https://www.si.com/mlb/2016/05/11/br...3-yankees-alcs

He says he was speechless because he was so happy. At the time, watching it on TV, all I saw was jealousy.
    I'm not going to search for it, but there was a photo here that someone posted a few years after the fact. It purports to show the broadcast booth a few seconds after the homer landed. As I recall it, Bret has a clearly visible grin; Buck looks like his dog just got shot.
    "This game has a heartbeat, Brian." -- Joe Torre

NYYF Legend

I'm not going to search for it, but there was a photo here that someone posted a few years after the fact. It purports to show the broadcast booth a few seconds after the homer landed. As I recall it, Bret has a clearly visible grin; Buck looks like his dog just got shot.
    I remember talking about this way way back. He likely flashed back to when they were kids in the neighborhood’s best backyard for a ball game. All those kids fantasies were realized in that moment, and his brother was the one who got to provide it. Not everybody’s going to be able to spin a relevant tale in the moment like the producers were (presumably) pleading at him to do. He was soaking in his little brother’s fantastic moment that started in a backyard.

Or, he was a seething, cauldron of jealousy.
    "Be a voice, not an echo." - Albert Einstein

Playing in Seattle back then, it was a must...
    The Continuance of Being Great, is Getting Number Twenty-Eight

I was just viewing Aaron Boones stats, and saw he was playing for the Astros in 2009... I do not remember that at all... Interesting.
    The Continuance of Being Great, is Getting Number Twenty-Eight

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBombers View Post
    Playing in Seattle back then, it was a must...
    Really? His first year in Seattle - when he hit a ridiculous 37 home runs - the team had Ichiro!, Edgar, Olerud, Carlos Guillen, David Bell, and Mike Cameron. Who were the big steroid guys there?
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBombers View Post
    I was just viewing Aaron Boones stats, and saw he was playing for the Astros in 2009... I do not remember that at all... Interesting.
    Astro fans probably don't remember it either. 0-13 with a sac fly. But he only K-d twice.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

I've got that one ... originally saved as a screencap from the TV, back on the day it happened.

NYYF Legend

Let say, I'm glad he's not Roberts.

Thread Information