+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 50 1 2 3 4 11 ... LastLast

2019 Aaron Boone Performance Thread

The first game went pretty well
    Assistant to the Manager
    Analytical Department of Analytics

NYYF Legend

Re: 2019 Aaron Boone Performance Thread

I would appreciate it if Gardner wasn't leading off. He doesn't deserve to and he's probably the worst hitter in the lineup.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    I would appreciate it if Gardner wasn't leading off. He doesn't deserve to and he's probably the worst hitter in the lineup.
    He still sees a good amount of pitches per plate appearance but yes I concur would much rather see Gardner batting 9th than 1st when he's in the lineup which will be pretty much be everyday while Hicks is out.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Hope is eternal

Wasnt thrilled about the signing but he makes the most sense lead off or 9th. DJ LeMahieu is the other until Hicks returns
    The sky is falling! We are doomed!

I agree, though I'm not sure who else in this lineup fits the profile of a leadoff guy. Unless you want to just lead off Judge? Otherwise it's guys like Torres or Tulo, neither of whom quite fit the profile. At least Gardner sees a lot of pitches.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    I agree, though I'm not sure who else in this lineup fits the profile of a leadoff guy. Unless you want to just lead off Judge? Otherwise it's guys like Torres or Tulo, neither of whom quite fit the profile. At least Gardner sees a lot of pitches.
    Agreed. Its Gardy's and Hicks' spot in the lineup. This was one of my worries this season. Not having a leadoff guy when/if Hicks got hurt.
    The Continuance of Being Great, is Getting Number Twenty-Eight

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    I think overall lineup construction is over ratted and we tend to make too much of it. That said why wouldn't Torres be a good option? He had a .340 OBP last year.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

I don't get this. What do you have to do to deserve to be batting leadoff? That job is to see a lot of pitches, get on base, and most importantly to score runs. Even in an off year last year Gardner scored plenty enough. It's not ideal, but without Hicks I don't see a better solution. Maybe Torres down the road, but he's not ready for that now.
    Let the kids play.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    I don't get this. What do you have to do to deserve to be batting leadoff? That job is to see a lot of pitches, get on base, and most importantly to score runs. Even in an off year last year Gardner scored plenty enough. It's not ideal, but without Hicks I don't see a better solution. Maybe Torres down the road, but he's not ready for that now.
    The leadoff batter has more ABs than any other spot in the lineup. Giving your worst hitter the most ABs in a game doesn't make sense to me. Gardner doesn't get on base anymore. I'd bat Gleyber leadoff.

Addicted Member

The leadoff batter has more ABs than any other spot in the lineup. Giving your worst hitter the most ABs in a game doesn't make sense to me. Gardner doesn't get on base anymore. I'd bat Gleyber leadoff.
    Was saying the same thing to my friend at work the other day. I don't get it. He's easily the worst hitter in the lineup, why does he deserve the most ABs?

Quote Originally Posted by Petey View Post
    Was saying the same thing to my friend at work the other day. I don't get it. He's easily the worst hitter in the lineup, why does he deserve the most ABs?
    It's not about his average, it's about his run scoring ability per plate appearance. Judge is the best at it, followed by Hicks. Gardner was far superior to Torres last year in runs scored per PA despite an off year getting on base. His speed makes up for a lot.
    Let the kids play.

I would bat Gleyber lead off too.

gardner is just useless as a offensive player...

NYYF Legend

It's not about his average, it's about his run scoring ability per plate appearance. Judge is the best at it, followed by Hicks. Gardner was far superior to Torres last year in runs scored per PA despite an off year getting on base. His speed makes up for a lot.
    He needs to get on base before talking about 'run scoring ability'. Last season second half his OBP was .288 and he's 35 now.

NYYF Legend

Boone has learned nothing since last year.

He's still trying to steal from tomorrow. Saving Chapman in game 2 of the season as he sends Holder out for a second inning with the game close.

Play for today. Please.
    There's a sinister plot a brewin'

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post

He's still trying to steal from tomorrow. Saving Chapman in game 2 of the season as he sends Holder out for a second inning with the game close.

Play for today. Please.
    Came in here to write something similar. Hes still trying to steal outs. Ridiculous.

NYYF Legend

...oh yeah, and keep batting Gardner first. That's working out.
    There's a sinister plot a brewin'

I understand were only supposed to post positive things. But batting your worst hitter (by a mile) leadoff and the bullpen usage today made no sense. The game was 2-1 when Paxton left with a rested Otavino, Britton, and Chapman in the bullpen. That trio faced just one batter. Very puzzling.

NYYF MVP

Batting Gardner leadoff is a horrible idea.

Worst part is he will be forced into the decision when Hicks comes back.

It’s clear that Boone is still pretty clueless.

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post

Play for today. Please.
    To be fair, Stanton and Andujar have learned nothing from last year either.

unfortunately, he's doing none of that. He saw less pitches in 5 PA's than Andujar and Miguel practically swung at everything.

NYYF Legend

It wasn't the reason for the loss, see RISP fails, but I did not like the decision to go with Holder a second inning. You just came off consecutive of days, with another off day thrown in, why not go with an arm that had not been used like a Kahnle?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by 2JAY View Post
    It wasn't the reason for the loss, see RISP fails, but I did not like the decision to go with Holder a second inning. You just came off consecutive of days, with another off day thrown in, why not go with an arm that had not been used like a Kahnle?
    Because he is obsessed with trying to steal outs. Its like a moral victory for him that he got to save his pen in a loss, even when trying to save his pen likely cost him the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Benefactor View Post
    unfortunately, he's doing none of that. He saw less pitches in 5 PA's than Andujar and Miguel practically swung at everything.
    You think we can give all the players 50 plate appearances before painting any pictures of their performance? Remember how we all had Didi for MVP at the end of April last year, then had him sent down to AAA at the end of May? 2 games means nothing.

A much bigger problem that some seem to think has no bearing is that there was only 1 lefty in the lineup today against a RHP, and he went 0 for 5. I don't care how well our righties hit righties, if we don't get Didi and Hicks back soon we're going to see more of what we saw today.
    Let the kids play.

Yankees your 27 time WS Champs MyBoysKaosHavoK's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vanderlay View Post
    I understand were only supposed to post positive things. But batting your worst hitter (by a mile) leadoff and the bullpen usage today made no sense. The game was 2-1 when Paxton left with a rested Otavino, Britton, and Chapman in the bullpen. That trio faced just one batter. Very puzzling.

^^^This^^^

I can't wait to see who else besides Tulo gets rested tomorrow....
    In the Land of the Blind. The One Eyed Man is King...
    "Yankees are now a Fully Operational Dollar Store"

Thread Information