+ Reply to Thread
Page 45 of 46 FirstFirst ... 35 42 43 44 45 46 LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,125 of 1132

Re: 2019 Aaron Boone Performance Thread

Upon the news that Kahnle was unavailable, if they were going to bring in the trio of Gearrin-Loaisiga-Dull for the 6th might as well have used Heller there.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by H.Kokubo View Post
    Upon the news that Kahnle was unavailable, if they were going to bring in the trio of Gearrin-Loaisiga-Dull for the 6th might as well have used Heller there.
    I don’t think he was expecting Gearrin and Loisaga to meltdown so quickly.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    The offense put up 11 and hit for the cycle the first time through the order. Hard to image those 3 would have improved the offensive output.
    Right, that's hindsight for ya but it didn't make sense at the start of the game when the Yankees knew in advance they were bullpening it. Judge's arm probably saves two runs in the game though.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Benefactor View Post
    Right, that's hindsight for ya but it didn't make sense at the start of the game when the Yankees knew in advance they were bullpening it. Judge's arm probably saves two runs in the game though.
    It has been part of the Yankee strategy to rest multiple starters is a single game trusting to random variance weakenin the line up in one game while maximizing it it multiple other games.

It’s smart game theory over 162 games. Even if can seem odd for single games.
    Baseball is life;

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    It has been part of the Yankee strategy to rest multiple starters is a single game trusting to random variance weakenin the line up in one game while maximizing it it multiple other games.

Itís smart game theory over 162 games. Even if can seem odd for single games.
    And those variances are better than resting one player a game? I don't know, I'm asking you. Anyways, we're in September, fighting for HFA with Houston and the Yankess are resting players like it's May.

NYYF Legend

And those variances are better than resting one player a game? I don't know, I'm asking you. Anyways, we're in September, fighting for HFA with Houston and the Yankess are resting players like it's May.
    Yes. Take a chance resting multiple starters in one game is better than resting each of them once say the next 3 games.

Though Ford for Voit was probably a straight L/R thing with Jackson on the mound.
    Baseball is life;

NYYF Cy Young

Last night's loss really sits in my craw. it was clear Boone didn't care if we won or lost, but once our offense showed they cared, it was time for a little flexibility. Judge should have been put in right for defensive purposes. And it made no sense using Ott and Britton and then going to a scrub in the ninth. Grrrrr
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubeFmHEVzQ0

Say what you want about the pitching, not having Judge in right field cost them two runs.
    So Judge never gets a day off? We try to squeeze out every regular season win even at the cost of a tired worn down Judge in the playoffs?

Fans hate resting multiple top players in one game, apparently. But itís not clear that thatís worse than resting one top player every game (and always being at less than full strength).

Quote Originally Posted by Bonn1997 View Post
    Fans hate resting multiple top players in one game, apparently. But itís not clear that thatís worse than resting one top player every game (and always being at less than full strength).
    The Yankees have tended to do both.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    The Yankees have tended to do both.
    I wouldn't say it's always top players resting. Our top players (guys with at least 3 fWAR) are DJ, Judge, Gardner, Urshella, and Torres. Once you're down to 2 fWAR, you really can't call that a top player. Maybe you make an exception and count Gary, but catchers need more rest.

NYYF Legend

Say what you want about the pitching, not having Judge in right field cost them two runs.
    Absolutely. Judge probably would have had 2 OF assists. Wade has the arm of a backup infielder so instead of trying to throw guys out at the plate he should be hitting the cutoff man so that guys on base are not advancing into scoring position on his air mailed throws to the plate. I think 4 runs scored as a result of him doing that (albeit it would be nice if our pitchers could actually pitch out of a jam).
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Absolutely. Judge probably would have had 2 OF assists. Wade has the arm of a backup infielder so instead of trying to throw guys out at the plate he should be hitting the cutoff man so that guys on base are not advancing into scoring position on his air mailed throws to the plate. I think 4 runs scored as a result of him doing that (albeit it would be nice if our pitchers could actually pitch out of a jam).

The throws were not that bad at all (Frazier's were worse), though you're right that he should have hit the cut off man. The bad defense on the night though was Torres' doing
    "My guys are savages in the box!" - Aaron Boone

NYYF Legend

So Judge never gets a day off? We try to squeeze out every regular season win even at the cost of a tired worn down Judge in the playoffs?
    Judge has had a lot of days off this season. A lot.
    Just win!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    1/3 of the season. Yeah, he was rehabbing but getting him days off shouldnít be a concern.
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post

Good catch! I forgot that Castro tagged up on the throw home by Wade, resulting in another two runs scoring. Loaisiga had his own problems in the field, not backing up Sanchez on a throw to the plate and I thought he had a chance of intercepting that throw home when he saw the runner advancing but, he stood their like a deer in headlights.

Meaning that rehabbing an injury is an off day?

NYYF Legend

Good catch! I forgot that Castro tagged up on the throw home by Wade, resulting in another two runs scoring. Loaisiga had his own problems in the field, not backing up Sanchez on a throw to the plate and I thought he had a chance of intercepting that throw home when he saw the runner advancing but, he stood there like a deer in headlights.
    I really feel Loiasiga needs a full year in the minors next year.

Between injuries and call ups he's not progressed properly. They need to make decisions with him.
    A) Keep him?
    B) Starter?
    C) Reliever?

If they keep him they need to have him spend the next year down on the farm getting consistency with being an SP or RP. He could also do to learn some fundamentals as pointed out above in your post.
    Just win!

Fans say they want to catch Houston for the best record but their posts say otherwise.

Resting players is overrated. Players used to play 162 games without batting so much as an eyelash. Players are actually resting half the game while sitting on the bench. Baseball is an anaerobic sport unlike Soccer or basketball so it's not nearly as taxing as you might think. The mental aspect is real. When players are slumping, I'm all for giving guys a day off to reset themselves but not when they're one of the hottest hitters in the lineup

Fans say they want to catch Houston for the best record but their posts say otherwise.

Resting players is overrated. Players used to play 162 games without batting so much as an eyelash. Players are actually resting half the game while sitting on the bench. Baseball is an anaerobic sport unlike Soccer or basketball so it's not nearly as taxing as you might think. The mental aspect is real. When players are slumping, I'm all for giving guys a day off to reset themselves but not when they're one of the hottest hitters in the lineup
    You should really look at the studies on this. Without rest days, players have been shown to get worse at determining balls from strikes. Pitchers start to lose mph off their fastball. That's off the top of my head. I'm sure there's more.

NYYF Legend

Apparently days on the IL don't count. Judge not starting was ok but late in the game given who is playing the OF he should been out for defense.

Devoted Member

And that's based on? People used to do it? People used to play football with no helmets.

I'm going to guess that an analytics-fixated organization like the Yankees has something to back up their resting patterns. I could be wrong, but it seems unlikely they have adopted this approach with no evidence that it might be helpful.

You should really look at the studies on this. Without rest days, players have been shown to get worse at determining balls from strikes. Pitchers start to lose mph off their fastball. That's off the top of my head. I'm sure there's more.
    I was talking about position players, not pitchers. I think there is a similar study in professional golf where golfers lose several mph on their golf swing when the player has to travel .4 tenths of a mile or more to the next hole. It's a real issue.

Quote Originally Posted by YFIB View Post
    And that's based on? People used to do it? People used to play football with no helmets.

I'm going to guess that an analytics-fixated organization like the Yankees has something to back up their resting patterns. I could be wrong, but it seems unlikely they have adopted this approach with no evidence that it might be helpful.
    Are you talking about the same analytics-fixated organization that thinks it's ok to bat Didi or Gardner in the third slot for no other reason than they bat left handed? The Yankees should be getting advice on analytics, not giving it.

They probably rest players more than usual because they think it will keep them healthy. Oops!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Apparently days on the IL don't count. Judge not starting was ok but late in the game given who is playing the OF he should been out for defense.
    Also, maybe don't rest him the same day you are resting Maybin. Our OF defense was suspect last night.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Thread Information