+ Reply to Thread
Page 48 of 48 FirstFirst ... 38 45 46 47 48
Results 1,176 to 1,197 of 1197

Re: 2019 Aaron Boone Performance Thread

Watching Roberts made me appreciate Boone's super quick hooks this October. I mean, if I'm losing I'd rather lose by pulling the plug to early than sticking with one too late IMO.

Dodgers fans probably would've felt a bit better about the loss had Maeda come in to begin the 8th, and Jansen in the 9th gave up the game tying 2 HRs and lost in extra innings than this mess today.

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    Let say, I'm glad he's not Roberts.
    Yes you are right. It was a great example when you have a solid team with a lead in the back end of a game how important a manger's role is. What I can't understand how managers always defend/say: he rested, wanted a K, best option - in the post game interview. It was a great game to watch. (he did not manage the MIL last year and they almost beat them). IMO Both games - you have to have a quick hook in leverage situations and bring in your best reliever.

Can't wait for tonight.

when the going gets tough ... JSG's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by H.Kokubo View Post
    Watching Roberts made me appreciate Boone's super quick hooks this October. I mean, if I'm losing I'd rather lose by pulling the plug to early than sticking with one too late IMO.

Dodgers fans probably would've felt a bit better about the loss had Maeda come in to begin the 8th, and Jansen in the 9th gave up the game tying 2 HRs and lost in extra innings than this mess today.
    Yeah, that was just an inexcusable mess. Consider this thought experiment:

Up 3-1 going into the 8th, Boone tries to get creative and brings in Paxton instead of Britton. Sadly, Paxton yields back to back game tying HRs.

Continuing his flight of fancy, Boone decides to bring in Kahnle for two (2) innings while Chapman rides the pine. Kahnle pitches a super clean 9th but then doesn’t have it in the 10th. Walk. (Pause. Hmmmm.) Double. (Mongo confused. Tommy good in 9th). Intentional walk. (Remembers great Joey G move first inning first game of season vs Tampa Bay: walks Sean Rodriguez to get to Carlos Pena. That worked out. No wait, grand slam.). Grand Slam. (Stadium in stunned silence. Good time to think.) Britton and Chapman watch the ball go far over the CF wall from the bullpen.

Can you imagine the reaction here, the sheer insanity of it all ????!!!!

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by JSG View Post
    Mongo confused.
    This needs to be acknowledged, and praised.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    This needs to be acknowledged, and praised.
    Citing the classics !!

Cheers,

Devoted Member

I don't see how Roberts survives this.

This isn't the first year that Roberts has grossly mismanaged his bullpen in the playoffs. Not sure how bad he is in the regular season, but that can be overcome over 162 games, especially with superior talent. The playoffs are too short to overcome such ineptitude.

Yeah, that was just an inexcusable mess. Consider this thought experiment:

Up 3-1 going into the 8th, Boone tries to get creative and brings in Paxton instead of Britton. Sadly, Paxton yields back to back game tying HRs.

Continuing his flight of fancy, Boone decides to bring in Kahnle for two (2) innings while Chapman rides the pine. Kahnle pitches a super clean 9th but then doesn’t have it in the 10th. Walk. (Pause. Hmmmm.) Double. (Mongo confused. Tommy good in 9th). Intentional walk. (Remembers great Joey G move first inning first game of season vs Tampa Bay: walks Sean Rodriguez to get to Carlos Pena. That worked out. No wait, grand slam.). Grand Slam. (Stadium in stunned silence. Good time to think.) Britton and Chapman watch the ball go far over the CF wall from the bullpen.

Can you imagine the reaction here, the sheer insanity of it all ????!!!!

Cheers,
    That is pure gold!

What is Boone doing?
    Trying to set a record for the most pitchers used in the post season?

NYYF Legend

Boone has been much better but when will he realize that at least for now Ottavino should not be trusted. He has been the weak link in the bullpen rotation and Boone just seems to ignore it totally.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Boone has been much better but when will he realize that at least for now Ottavino should not be trusted. He has been the weak link in the bullpen rotation and Boone just seems to ignore it totally.
    100%. I have maybe a minor issue with him taking guys out a little too quickly such as Green or Kahnle but after game 2, you can't run back to Ottavino. Sure he got the dp to get out of trouble but he gave up the hr.

That's the obvious point you hope he gets -- "Otto was lights out in early September" just doesn't cut it. And we're talking the Minny series + games 2 and 3 here. and IIRC he was spotty and often wild the last few weeks of the season.

The other point is -- I think he outsmarted himself in taking too many pitchers and thereby make too many UNNECESSARY changes. He blew the first October pen rule last ALDS: have a quick hook when a pitcher is melting or about to melt. This ALCS he is giving the second rule a thrashing: stay with the hot hand .... ESPECIALLY when your pen is shortened if your starter doesn't give you length.

Bottom line, the manager is navigating between these two poles and can't see into the future. Sometimes it's a coin flip, but here it's been pretty obvious that autopilot and pre-scripting obscured what should have been pretty basic calls: stay with Green as long as feasible; avoid shaky pitchers as long as possible; extend Britton; then don't double down again with a quick hook of a rolling Kahnle for Otto. As Smoltz kept saying, there's a risk any time you change pitchers. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, the basic KISS rule.

NYYF Legend

That's the obvious point you hope he gets -- "Otto was lights out in early September" just doesn't cut it. And we're talking the Minny series + games 2 and 3 here. and IIRC he was spotty and often wild the last few weeks of the season.

The other point is -- I think he outsmarted himself in taking too many pitchers and thereby make too many UNNECESSARY changes. He blew the first October pen rule last ALDS: have a quick hook when a pitcher is melting or about to melt. This ALCS he is giving the second rule a thrashing: stay with the hot hand .... ESPECIALLY when your pen is shortened if your starter doesn't give you length.

Bottom line, the manager is navigating between these two poles and can't see into the future. Sometimes it's a coin flip, but here it's been pretty obvious that autopilot and pre-scripting obscured what should have been pretty basic calls: stay with Green as long as feasible; avoid shaky pitchers as long as possible; extend Britton; then don't double down again with a quick hook of a rolling Kahnle for Otto. As Smoltz kept saying, there's a risk any time you change pitchers. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, the basic KISS rule.
    Of course. And if you must use Ottavino at least not against the top of the Astros lineup. Not sure but has Ottavino put the first batter on base every outing in the playoffs?

Of course. And if you must use Ottavino at least not against the top of the Astros lineup. Not sure but has Ottavino put the first batter on base every outing in the playoffs?
    -- two walks vs Twins games 2 and 3 (Cruz)

-- HR to Springer game 2 ALCS (the true crusher)

-- walk / single game 3 ALCS

and for all the hoopla about his numbers, he seemed wild / unsteady the last few weeks of the season. it looked to me like he could no longer throw the devastating swooping slider for a strike, so he was either wild or meatball-prone when he felt he had to throw a strike.

NYYF Legend

-- two walks vs Twins games 2 and 3 (Cruz)

-- HR to Springer game 2 ALCS (the true crusher)

-- walk / single game 3 ALCS

and for all the hoopla about his numbers, he seemed wild / unsteady the last few weeks of the season. it looked to me like he could no longer throw the devastating swooping slider for a strike, so he was either wild or meatball-prone when he felt he had to throw a strike.
    And after Springer's HR I believe he put the next batter on base too. At this point I blame Boone more than Ottavino. You have eyes. Stop using him in high stress situations.

NYYF Legend

And after Springer's HR I believe he put the next batter on base too. At this point I blame Boone more than Ottavino. You have eyes. Stop using him in high stress situations.
    It's on Ottavino for not getting the job done but also on Boone because his job is to put his guys in the best position to succeed and put the team in the best position to win and using Ottavino in the spots he's using him and pulling guys who are pitching well to do so is not helping Ottavino or the Yankees.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JeterForPresident View Post
    It's on Ottavino for not getting the job done but also on Boone because his job is to put his guys in the best position to succeed and put the team in the best position to win and using Ottavino in the spots he's using him and pulling guys who are pitching well to do so is not helping Ottavino or the Yankees.
    Totally agree. Losing Betances again really hurt. Maybe Boone would have used him instead of Ottavino in those situations.

James Paxton's poor outing in Game 2 resulted in Boone having to drain his entire bullpen and left him no choice but to summon Happ in as an extra inning reliever for at least two innings of work. Predictably, Happ gave up a walk-off HR and game over. Series tied 1-1.

With two runners on, Gary couldn't drive in the go ahead run in extra innings. If he had, I doubt Boone would have brought in Happ to try to save the game. He had starters Sevy and Tanaka as possible relievers.

Quote Originally Posted by YanksBeatBraves1996 View Post
    James Paxton's poor outing in Game 2 resulted in Boone having to drain his entire bullpen and left him no choice but to summon Happ in as a extra inning reliever. Predictably, Happ gave up a walk-off HR and game over. Series tied 1-1.

With two runners on, Gary couldn't drive in the go ahead run in extra inning. If he had, I doubt Boone would have brought in Happ to try to save the game. He had starters Sevy and Tanaka as possible relievers.
    Zero chance that either Tanaka or Severino was going to pitch in that game.

NYYF Legend

Totally agree. Losing Betances again really hurt. Maybe Boone would have used him instead of Ottavino in those situations.
    But Boone has managed to get by basically the entire season without the services of Betances. It's a cop out excuse to blame his absence on the failures of Ottavino. Kahnle should be in his role and someone else in the 5th-6th. Cessa had no problem pitching 2 scoreless innings yesterday.
    http://vimel.ru/e6748

Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    But Boone has managed to get by basically the entire season without the services of Betances. It's a cop out excuse to blame his absence on the failures of Ottavino. Kahnle should be in his role and someone else in the 5th-6th. Cessa had no problem pitching 2 scoreless innings yesterday.
    Managing in the regular season is a different deal. Boone was masterful handling the pen regular season. NYY were the only team in the league not to use any reliever 3X in a row. Playoffs are pure be here now. Can't leave melters in. Avoid problem children. Stay with rolling pitchers as long as you can, especially if you have a shortened pen with a short start.

Now, Cessa in theory is at the low leverage end of the pen. SO if Boone had brought Cessa into game 2, people would have lost their minds. Game 2, the problems were, no reason to have a short hook on Green and then Britton. I mean, with Paxton short and Verlander going 7, it was a slow motion train wreck. Then, Otto was shaky to end the season and looked terrible vs Minny. So he compounded the short hook error by going to someone whose track record the last few weeks was not good.

And that was a tragic mishap, as our margin for error was slim to none, and that was our chance to take control of the series, with a L vs Cole likely in game 3. especially with an off day after game 2, put the pedal down with what's working and extend your pen. now we can do it but it's uphill.

NYYF Legend

Managing in the regular season is a different deal. Boone was masterful handling the pen regular season. NYY were the only team in the league not to use any reliever 3X in a row. Playoffs are pure be here now. Can't leave melters in. Avoid problem children. Stay with rolling pitchers as long as you can, especially if you have a shortened pen with a short start.

Now, Cessa in theory is at the low leverage end of the pen. SO if Boone had brought Cessa into game 2, people would have lost their minds. Game 2, the problems were, no reason to have a short hook on Green and then Britton. I mean, with Paxton short and Verlander going 7, it was a slow motion train wreck. Then, Otto was shaky to end the season and looked terrible vs Minny. So he compounded the short hook error by going to someone whose track record the last few weeks was not good.

And that was a tragic mishap, as our margin for error was slim to none, and that was our chance to take control of the series, with a L vs Cole likely in game 3. especially with an off day after game 2, put the pedal down with what's working and extend your pen. now we can do it but it's uphill.
    People can lose there minds at the sight of Cessa all they want. I'm sure he has pitched with the Yankees behind in similar situations during the season. But if he gives us 2 shutout inning and we are down 2-1 instead of 4-1 then it was the right move.

The bottom line is Ottavino cannot pitch anymore.
    http://vimel.ru/e6748

Thread Information