+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 46 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 ... LastLast

Re: 2019 Aaron Boone Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Poppingtags View Post
    http://www.espn.com/espnradio/newyork/play?id=26324727

Here's the podcast. The part we are talking about starts at 12:30.
    I didn't hear anything about Boone not making in game pitching decisions.

Two games in a row Boone doesn't use his high leverage relievers in a late and close game and it bites him.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vanderlay View Post
    I didn't hear anything about Boone not making in game pitching decisions.
    "They're in the tunnel during the game, telling or at least strongly urging Boone to make XYZ player moves."

I don't know what else you could be looking for.

NYYF Legend

"They're in the tunnel during the game, telling or at least strongly urging Boone to make XYZ player moves."

I don't know what else you could be looking for.
    Do they have, like, a table and chair? A laptop? How's the lighting in the tunnel. When a player has to use the restroom is it hard to get by the Analytic Dudes? What are these guys names? Are they allowed out of the tunnel at all during the game? Can they have a bite to eat while analyticing? How many of them are there? Do they like David Cone? Do they ever argue with each other during the decision making? Is one of them the boss or are decisions all voted on? Is there a time limit on the decision? How do they relay the info to Boone? Is someone the go-between? What if he gets the message wrong? Do heads roll? Is Boone allowed to eat what he wants? Do they know Pajama Larry is clueless?

I have more questions, but I'll start with these.
    Just win!

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    Do they have, like, a table and chair? A laptop? How's the lighting in the tunnel. When a player has to use the restroom is it hard to get by the Analytic Dudes? What are these guys names? Are they allowed out of the tunnel at all during the game? Can they have a bite to eat while analyticing? How many of them are there? Do they like David Cone? Do they ever argue with each other during the decision making? Is one of them the boss or are decisions all voted on? Is there a time limit on the decision? How do they relay the info to Boone? Is someone the go-between? What if he gets the message wrong? Do heads roll? Is Boone allowed to eat what he wants? Do they know Pajama Larry is clueless?

I'm with you. I don't buy for one second there's an analytics person in the tunnel telling Boone what moves to make during the game.

I'm with you. I don't buy for one second there's an analytics person in the tunnel telling Boone what moves to make during the game.
    It's said right in the book that there is...

No, he holds a clipboard, sits next to Boone on the bench, sometimes chews bubble gum, acts as Cashman's informant, serves as an in-game advisor to Boone offering situational advice and bouncing ideas back and forth in order to assist him in his decision making and goes by the name of Josh Bard.

NYYF Legend

It really doesn't matter. He takes the job. He takes the blame. No one forces him to apply for the job. If he really disagrees with the moves, he should have the guts to change it.

Or he should resign.

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    It really doesn't matter. He takes the job. He takes the blame. No one forces him to apply for the job. If he really disagrees with the moves, he should have the guts to change it.

Or he should resign.
    That's how I feel about Marcus Thames. Not a single player has changed their approach at the plate since last year. He should just admit that he's in way over his head and resign.

NYYF Legend

Do they have, like, a table and chair? A laptop?
    chairs (plural), and yes.

How's the lighting in the tunnel.
    Lincoln or Holland?

When a player has to use the restroom is it hard to get by the Analytic Dudes?
    It might be. In a pinch there's always the table, the chairs, and the laptops.

What are these guys names?
    Caleb, Josh, Emeke, and Zeppo.

Can they have a bite to eat while analyticing?
    As long as it is farm-to-table and sustainably grown.

How many of them are there?
    This was already answered.

How do they relay the info to Boone?
    They tried texts, Greg Bird and a carrier pigeon. The pigeon kept winning so they killed it.

Is someone the go-between? What if he gets the message wrong? Do heads roll?
    a) this was already answered; (b,c) Ask the pigeon.

I hope this answers at least some of your questions.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    chairs (plural), and yes.

Lincoln or Holland?

It might be. In a pinch there's always the table, the chairs, and the laptops.

As long as it is farm-to-table and sustainably grown.

This was already answered.

They tried texts, Greg Bird and a carrier pigeon. The pigeon kept winning so they killed it.

a) this was already answered; (b,c) Ask the pigeon.

I hope this answers at least some of your questions.
    Is this from the book?
    Just win!

NYYF Legend

Or he should resign.
    "Be a voice, not an echo." - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Benefactor View Post
    That's how I feel about Marcus Thames. Not a single player has changed their approach at the plate since last year. He should just admit that he's in way over his head and resign.
    Marcus Thames was not a good hitter and his approach to hitting was very similar to alot of these Yankee hitters.

Or he should resign.
    I agree. If there is someone from analytics standing in the tunnel during the game telling Boone what to do how can any player or coach have an ounce of respect for him?

Devoted Member

Why does Brett Gardner bat leadoff?

Quote Originally Posted by YFIB View Post
    Why does Brett Gardner bat leadoff?
    Because Brian Cashman and his hand puppet say so.

It's not Boone making these decisions. I don't get why people don't understand this.
    I donít know if a decision like the ont to use Tarpley is Boone's or not. If it came from Boone, they need a new manager. If it came from the analytics department, they need a new analytics department. And, in the latter case, maybe they need to rethink the whole model, and go back to a system where the analytics guys inform the manager's decisions but donít make them for him.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I donít know if a decision like the ont to use Tarpley is Boone's or not. If it came from Boone, they need a new manager. If it came from the analytics department, they need a new analytics department. And, in the latter case, maybe they need to rethink the whole model, and go back to a system where the analytics guys inform the manager's decisions but donít make them for him.
    I agree with your post but will take in a step further. If the analytics department is making in game decisions the first person that should go is Cashman.

NYYF Legend

All that inane story is missing is for one of the analysts to be named Cyrano.
    "Be a voice, not an echo." - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post

As long as it is farm-to-table and sustainably grown..
    The food issue is a little more complicated than that. Caleb has a gluten sensitivity, and Zeppo is lactose-intolerant.

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by Benefactor View Post
    Frustrating. This was an issue with me all last year - Stanton (compared his MVP swing to last year?), Sanchez (hurt?), and Bird (shorten his swing?). I was really down on Marcus and wanted a change. I was very upset with K% (maybe 25% as team) and RISP'y. Now I feel this is the roster Brian wanted - HR power. I don't know if they can change their approach. One of my fav posters pointed out something like changing the caption but you have the same players with the same results (like musical chairs). Tex could have bunted down the 3rd and walked to first. This is who we are. I think Judge mentioned this but the only player that I know was successful was JD Martinez. I don't know the answer but I do agree with you.

Aaron Boone's hair grows thinner and more gray after each maddening loss. Errors and inept hitting with men in scoring position will do that to a manager. Examples: Sanchez, Andujar and even that former Rocky come to mind.

When I learned that Cashman brought back Gardy and CC, I was disheartened. Having Gardy lead off (he is hitting .100) is a waste of four at bats.

Aaron Boone had discussed this season's Yankees squad being better at situational hitting by cutting down on strikeouts, moving base runners by hitting to the opposite field. For Game 1, Judge and Stanton were obedient choir boys, but after the series loss to the Os, neither of these Bash Brothers Version 2 has gone yard.

I propose the following lineup:

2B Torres
    RF Judge
    LF Stanton
    C Sanchez
    DH Voit
    3B Andujar
    1B Bird
    SS Tulo
    CF Gardy

Quote Originally Posted by YanksBeatBraves1996 View Post
    Aaron Boone had discussed this season's Yankees squad being better at situational hitting by cutting down on strikeouts, moving base runners by hitting to the opposite field. For Game 1, Judge and Stanton were obedient choir boys, but after the series loss to the Os, neither of these Bash Brothers Version 2 has gone yard.

I propose the following lineup:

2B Torres
    RF Judge
    LF Stanton
    C Sanchez
    DH Voit
    3B Andujar
    1B Bird
    SS Tulo
    CF Gardy
    Staton to the disabled list

Staton to the disabled list
    Yes, I just read that Clint Frazier had been recalled to replace Giancarlo. Time for Frazier to seize the opportunity or he'll be packaged in a multiple player trade at the trade deadline.

Thread Information