+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 12 ... LastLast
    First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

Re: 2019 Aaron Boone Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    Boone has learned nothing since last year.

He's still trying to steal from tomorrow. Saving Chapman in game 2 of the season as he sends Holder out for a second inning with the game close.

Play for today. Please.
    Yes, and you have been right about this from the get go. It is infuriating.
    Standings: Big Inning 32-16; Blue Cut 27-21; Shoo Fly 26-22; Husk 22-26; Frank Pierce 21-27; Iowa City 16-32.

We're all aware that cashman's analytical team is essentially nudging Boone on the decisions to make, right?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Poppingtags View Post
    We're all aware that cashman's analytical team is essentially nudging Boone on the decisions to make, right?
    I don't think the Analytic Team is calling down to the dugout and telling Boone to have Holder come out for a second inning.
    Just win!

I don't think the Analytic Team is calling down to the dugout and telling Boone to have Holder come out for a second inning.
    It's in that new book that just recently came out. There are analytic members sitting in the tunnel just outside of the dugout.

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    I don't get this. What do you have to do to deserve to be batting leadoff? That job is to see a lot of pitches, get on base, and most importantly to score runs. Even in an off year last year Gardner scored plenty enough. It's not ideal, but without Hicks I don't see a better solution. Maybe Torres down the road, but he's not ready for that now.
    Just try Torres. For me it's always OBP and SB for the leadoff but OBP being number one. I do feel we will see Torres in leadoff this year. I think Torres in leadoff twice in ST which is a start for Boone. I am not surprised seeing Gardy there early especially with Hicks out. Tauchman may be playing in CF and giving Gardy the day off so we may see Torres there today.

It's in that new book that just recently came out. There are analytic members sitting in the tunnel just outside of the dugout.

Na, those are the maintenance guys on hand in case the toilet just off the runway overflows.
    Standings: Big Inning 32-16; Blue Cut 27-21; Shoo Fly 26-22; Husk 22-26; Frank Pierce 21-27; Iowa City 16-32.

Quote Originally Posted by hardrain View Post
    Na, those are the maintenance guys on hand in case the toilet just off the runway overflows.
    I'm just saying. It's not like the old days when you know the manager is making the call. I don't mean this to defend Boone, but we really have no idea what decisions that Boone makes are 100% his decisions.

I'm just saying. It's not like the old days when you know the manager is making the call. I don't mean this to defend Boone, but we really have no idea what decisions that Boone makes are 100% his decisions.
    Yep, there are times I long for the days of Earl Weaver, Dick Williams and Billy Martin.

The Death Star is Sputtering Zimmer's Helmet's Avatar

Boone has learned nothing since last year.

He's still trying to steal from tomorrow. Saving Chapman in game 2 of the season as he sends Holder out for a second inning with the game close.

Play for today. Please.
    Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84
    Because he is obsessed with trying to steal outs. Itís like a moral victory for him that he got to save his pen in a loss, even when trying to save his pen likely cost him the game.
    You realize that Boone is nothing more than a glorified puppet, right? If Cashman's spreadsheet geek squad tells Boone to jump, he'll ask: "how high?"

Quote Originally Posted by Poppingtags
    Bingo.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Someone has got to question the analytics that say Gardner is the best leadoff hitter in this lineup. Don't we have scouts watching our own guys? Gardner had one competitive AB yesterday when he lined out to center and even that wasn't like he was totally robbed or anything. And he's had maybe 2 all season, his walk opening day. The rest has been soft contact and strikeouts. He can't even take pitches when the pitchers are coming right at him.

The O's pitching coach came out to the mound 2-0 against Gardner and the next pitch was a fastball right down the middle. If that's not telling, I don't know what is. We need someone in that spot that can either punish that pitch consistently or just move Judge up. I get that Torres is a bad baserunner and probably why he's not more seriously considered, but the quality of his ABs is much higher. And Judge is a good baserunner if we need someone else. At some point you have to think about not giving arguably your worst hitter an extra AB. Let Gardner get hot in the 9th spot and take back some leadoff opportunities, don't just hand them to him coming off a down year in his agre 35 season. Common sense has to kick in here.

Addicted Member

It's not about his average, it's about his run scoring ability per plate appearance. Judge is the best at it, followed by Hicks. Gardner was far superior to Torres last year in runs scored per PA despite an off year getting on base. His speed makes up for a lot.
    ...yea he's great

Quote Originally Posted by Petey View Post
    ...yea he's great
    It's been two games. TWO!! I can't believe what I read here sometimes.
    Let the kids play.

NYYF Legend

It's been two games. TWO!! I can't believe what I read here sometimes.
    Last season second half doesn't count?

His OBP was .288.

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    Last season second half doesn't count?

His OBP was .288.
    This is the first half, so if you want to compare what was his first half OBP?
    Let the kids play.

NYYF Legend

This is the first half, so if you want to compare what was his first half OBP?
    Wait so we now don't use data which is more relevant. Do we need to use his 2010 season to prove that he's good at scoring run now?

At 35 what give you confidence that he would rebound from last season second half?

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    Wait so we now don't use data which is more relevant. Do we need to use his 2010 season to prove that he's good at scoring run now?

At 35 what give you confidence that he would rebound from last season second half?
    Well, he mashed the ball in Tampa this year, so he's not hurt, and we know he can still run fast. He still takes pitches and can battle most opposing pitchers. How about we give him 10 games to see if he can produce before tearing him down? Usually players are given 30 to 40 games before making any changes in the lineup, but with Brett they don't need to be as patient because of his age. 2 games means nothing.
    Let the kids play.

NYYF Legend

Well, he mashed the ball in Tampa this year, so he's not hurt, and we know he can still run fast. He still takes pitches and can battle most opposing pitchers. How about we give him 10 games to see if he can produce before tearing him down? Usually players are given 30 to 40 games before making any changes in the lineup, but with Brett they don't need to be as patient because of his age. 2 games means nothing.
    Fair point.

NYYF Legend

Get Gardner the hell out of the leadoff spot.

Third game of the season, whose head are we calling for at this point?

Addicted Member

His wRC+ has been under 100 for 2 out of the last 3 seasons. Are you his agent?

Quote Originally Posted by Petey View Post
    His wRC+ has been under 100 for 2 out of the last 3 seasons. Are you his agent?
    He scores runs. When Hicks comes back he'll probably sit, which is fine, but right now nobody else can okay center every day.
    Let the kids play.

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    Get Gardner the hell out of the leadoff spot.
    He should not be on the team. Resigning him was asinine.

Have Tarpley in a one run game when the bullpen is fully rested is assine. Boone is awful. There is no rationale defense,

NYYF MVP

Itís really early, but starting to think my gut feeling of the Boone hiring not working out will be realized.

Donít understand some of these early bullpen moves, or the Gardner lead off decision in the age of analytics.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vanderlay View Post
    Have Tarpley in a one run game when the bullpen is fully rested is assine. Boone is awful. There is no rationale defense,
    It's not Boone making these decisions. I don't get why people don't understand this.

Thread Information