+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

2019 Masahiro Tanaka Performance Thread

After a solid season in 2018 and a great playoffs, Tanaka is starts 2019 with a solid performance and a win. Here’s hoping he stays healthy. In my mind he’s our ace.

Re: 2019 Masahiro Tanaka Performance Thread

Great start from Tanaka, pulled a bit early but I agree with that decision for Opening Day. Smart move by Boone getting Ottavino's first game out of the way.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Nice start to the season.

Hope is eternal

Day off today and pitch counts not that high yet, no issue with the early pull looked great but not to take anything away, not sure how much different it would have been had he been off. Easy to see how Chris Davis hit .168 last year. Yanks basically gave him first (and maybe second) with the shirt and looked feeble trying to pull everything
    The sky is falling! We are doomed!

NYYF Legend

He has allowed 1 earned run in each start and has a 1.47 ERA, but tonight is his second consecutive no decision after Britton blew the save.

NYYF Legend

Slowly becomes one of the best Yankees mega deal FA signings.

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    Slowly becomes one of the best Yankees mega deal FA signings.
    I think you're right.

And to think that some of us were hoping Tanaka would opt out of his contract prior to last season.

Quote Originally Posted by YanksBeatBraves1996 View Post
    And to think that some of us were hoping Tanaka would opt out of his contract prior to last season.
    Yeah lol, In my opinion he earned his money after his absolutely monster post season performances. I know he’s had his fair share of early season woes, but playoff performances are where you prove your worth and he has done more than prove himself.

Tanaka has been our ace since the all-star break last year.

This afternoon wasn't Tanaka's day as he served up a grand slam HR turning a 2-0 lead into a 4-2 deficit.

NYYF Legend

He allowed 1 run in 7 innings. His 4 pitches in the seventh inning made 73 pitches. I don't know why they took him out. It could be the best chance a Yankee will have at a complete game all year.

NYYF Legend

The Kids in the Hall don't seem at all interested in Starting Pitchers going deep in games.

The Yankee starting pitchers are simply glorified openers.
    No Yankees to the All Star Game, please. Let them all get 4 days of rest so they can play more real games.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    The Kids in the Hall don't seem at all interested in Starting Pitchers going deep in games.

Must ... stick ... to ... formula!
    "This game has a heartbeat, Brian." -- Joe Torre

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    Must ... stick ... to ... formula!
    I find this characterization unfair.

Tanaka was extremely effective and had a very low pitch count. He could have gone out there for the 8th. But given that this was going to be his fourth time through the lineup, and the one guy who homered off him was due up, it's a completely defensible move to go to Britton there.

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    I find this characterization unfair.

Tanaka was extremely effective and had a very low pitch count. He could have gone out there for the 8th. But given that this was going to be his fourth time through the lineup, and the one guy who homered off him was due up, it's a completely defensible move to go to Britton there.
    I thought going to the pen was the right move, but thought Kahnle would have been a less risky option. He gets lefties out and isn't walking anyone right now.
    Let the kids play.

NYYF Legend

It's possible that going to the pen was the right move last night if you consider the game in a vacuum.

However, in the scope of the season, they go to the pen far too early far far too often. At some point the starting pitchers need to pull their innings weight. They rest regular batters when there are 9 batters on the IL and the team has already had two off days in a week. They don't have the same care for relievers.

In the scope of the season, Tanaka should have had enough in the Tank to go another inning or two.
    No Yankees to the All Star Game, please. Let them all get 4 days of rest so they can play more real games.

Boone did the right thing giving Tanaka the hook at that moment in time clinging to a 3-1 lead. Better be safe than sorry.

It's possible that going to the pen was the right move last night if you consider the game in a vacuum.

However, in the scope of the season, they go to the pen far too early far far too often. At some point the starting pitchers need to pull their innings weight. They rest regular batters when there are 9 batters on the IL and the team has already had two off days in a week. They don't have the same care for relievers.

In the scope of the season, Tanaka should have had enough in the Tank to go another inning or two.
    Generally, I agree. If the lead was 4 or more then I would think Tanaka would have kept going, but a 2-run lead against a team you're chasing in your own division with just 2 innings to get from the pen is one you can't let get away. As of right now I don't see any relievers who have thrown too many innings to date, and there aren't any innings on Betances yet.
    Let the kids play.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by YanksBeatBraves1996 View Post
    Boone did the right thing giving Tanaka the hook at that moment in time clinging to a 3-1 lead. Better be safe than sorry.
    It's funny because I could make an argument that yesterday Tanaka was a safer bet than Britton.

Tanaka should have easily gone another inning or two. He was at 73 pitches...

Just have to accept the fact that the game has changed.

NYYF Legend

I think Boone should let Tanaka pitch with such a low pitch count and showed the Yankees most reliable starter in big games a bit more confidence.

It's not a big deal. I could see the reason of pulling him and I respectfully disagree with that. However, I don't want to hear anymore that the Yankees starters couldn't go deep in the game. It's on Boone.

Addicted Member

I agree with this, but also would add that you are always taking a risk when you go to the pen. When a guy is cruising like that, with a low pitch count, you may actually be giving the other team a better chance when you lift your pitcher.

This Saturday afternoon, the wily veteran Tanaka tossed 88 pitches in 6 shutout innings while limiting the Rays to 3 hits, but had to leave after taking a hot liner to his shin.
    Last edited by YanksBeatBraves1996; 05-19-19 at 09:07 PM.

NYYF Legend

Masahiro Tanaka has 6 starts with 6+ IP and 1 Run or fewer allowed this season.

That's 2nd most in MLB, behind only Justin Verlander (8).
    https://twitter.com/ktsharp/status/1...848592386?s=19

Thread Information