+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Re: 2019 Masahiro Tanaka Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    I think (and hope) he's going to have a great postseason because of the warrior status.
    He needs to atone for those two stinkers in London and in Boston.

Quote Originally Posted by YanksBeatBraves1996 View Post
    He needs to atone for those two stinkers in London and in Boston.

No he doesnt
    Quote Originally Posted by DEADSOX
    We won, stop bitching. Bitches.
    **This Space For Rent**

Quote Originally Posted by DrNick View Post
    No he doesnt
    Yeah, I don’t get what atoning for those games means but I wouldn’t place that high an emphasis on any individual regular season game in the middle of the year. Of course, every game matters, but that includes the ones where Tanaka has pitched well though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonn1997 View Post
    Yeah, I don’t get what atoning for those games means but I wouldn’t place that high an emphasis on any individual regular season game in the middle of the year. Of course, every game matters, but that includes the ones where Tanaka has pitched well though.
    I particularly wouldn’t place high emphasis on the London game, which has helped to drive up his ERA in a big way.

Yeah, although I'm not a believer of XXX is good from this month to that month so yadayada argument because in the end every game counts for the season, if there is one game that has a legit reasoning to be excluded it is the London game where the situation and environment was just too different from America, literally.

I mean, even including his awful summer swoon, if you just take out only his London start his season ERA is down from 4.56 to 4.21...still not exactly OMG greatness, but certainly in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by H.Kokubo View Post
    Yeah, although I'm not a believer of XXX is good from this month to that month so yadayada argument because in the end every game counts for the season, if there is one game that has a legit reasoning to be excluded it is the London game where the situation and environment was just too different from America, literally.

I mean, even including his awful summer swoon, if you just take out only his London start his season ERA is down from 4.56 to 4.21...still not exactly OMG greatness, but certainly in the right direction.
    Giving up 3 ERs in 6.0 innings (ERA = 4.50) is considered a quality start especially in the AL where the DH can prolong an inning. Tanaka has tossed more quality games than lousy games.

Tanaka this evening in Oakland has picked up the Paxton first inning flu; 1.0 inning, 3 H, 3 ER.

NYYF Legend

Masahiro Tanaka: 3rd start this season with at least 7 scoreless IP and 3 or fewer hits allowed.

Only other AL pitchers to do that: Gerrit Cole, Shane Bieber, Lucas Giolito
    https://twitter.com/ktsharp/status/1...053202432?s=19

NYYF Legend

Randal Grichuk became the first player to have 4 career home runs against Tanaka, and he did it in 16 at-bats for 4 at-bats per home run. Among the players with 3 home runs against Tanaka, the fewest at-bats per home run is 7 by Corey Dickerson, who did it in 21 at-bats. Grichuk is also the only player to have at least 3 home runs and more home runs than strikeouts against Tanaka. Grichuk has 4 home runs, 1 double, and no triples or singles against Tanaka, and he's slugging 1.125 against Tanaka. He has a 1.478 OPS against Tanaka. Of the 133 players with at least 10 plate appearances against Tanaka, Grichuk is second in OPS behind Mike Napoli's 1.591. Lourdes Gurriel Jr., who is not starting, has 9 plate appearances against Tanaka.

when the going gets tough ... JSG's Avatar

Tanaka looked good but was burned by a few clunkers and shaky D. Good move for Boone to lift early.

NYYF Legend

He lowered his ERA below 4.50 (0.5 per inning) from 4.60 to 4.47, and passed 1,000 career innings. If the Yankees hold on, he will be 11-8 (.579) this year and 75-41 (.641) in his career. He will be the 30th pitcher to win at least 75 games for the Yankees.

I only got to watch the first couple of innings, but he looked great tonight. Missing a ton of bats with all of his pitches, which is really encouraging.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

NYYF Legend

Entering today, his career ERA was 3.75 in the regular season and 1.50 in the postseason. 1.50 is 40 percent of 3.75. His postseason ERA is 40.03 percent of his regular season ERA because his postseason ERA was exactly 1.50 and his regular season ERA was 3.747 to another decimal place.

NYYF Legend

He's money at big stage.

He was outstanding tonight. What a pleasure to watch him when he's on.

(Wrong thread.)

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

Complete command from a great post-season pitcher.
    Standings: Big Inning 32-16; Blue Cut 27-21; Shoo Fly 26-22; Husk 22-26; Frank Pierce 21-27; Iowa City 16-32.

Tanaka coming up huge again in the post season. I stand by my statement that I really don’t care too much about how he performs during the regular season because he is an absolute monster in the playoffs where it matters most. Worth every penny.

“I actually don’t get too caught up on being good in the postseason and all that,” Tanaka said, via Yankees translator Shingo Horie. “Come to think about it, I think it’s still a small sample. My thing is just go out there and be the best that you can be.”
    https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...xtq-story.html

"My guys are savages in the box!" - Aaron Boone

Quote Originally Posted by RyRy89 View Post
    Tanaka coming up huge again in the post season. I stand by my statement that I really don’t care too much about how he performs during the regular season because he is an absolute monster in the playoffs where it matters most. Worth every penny.
    Dealt very well today.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by SatchelPaigeYankee View Post
    This mentality might be one of the reasons why he does well in those big games.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    I think (and hope) he's going to have a great postseason because of his warrior status.
    Off to a very nice start. If he can shut down Houston, this side story will continue to grow....
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

Yet another insane playoff performance by Tanaka. He's worth every penny of his contract for what he does in the playoffs.

At this point, just disregard anything that happens in spring and summer

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

Bryan Hoch Retweeted

#Yankees starters who went at least 6 IP and faced the minimum. -Don Larsen, WS perfect game -David Wells, 1998 perfect game -David Cone, 1999 perfect game -Masahiro Tanaka, tonight
    Standings: Big Inning 32-16; Blue Cut 27-21; Shoo Fly 26-22; Husk 22-26; Frank Pierce 21-27; Iowa City 16-32.

Thread Information