+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: 2019 Masahiro Tanaka Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by EvanJ View Post
    Nobody mentioned that he became the first Yankee to get an All-Star Game win during the lives of most living fans. The previous Yankee to get an All-Star Game win was Vic Raschi in 1948, and Yankees had lost their last 9 All-Star game decisions before yesterday. 1948 was the 15th All-Star Game, and Yankees got 6 of the first 15 wins, including 3 by Lefty Gomez. He won in 1933, 1935, and 1937, and he's the only pitcher to win three All-Star games.
    I mentioned it in the regular season thread but only thought it went back to the 50s.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    Does EvanJ know how many All Star Games have had pitchers from the same team get both the win and the save?
    I'm interested, but I don't know of a site with the winning pitcher, save, and what teams they pitched for with every All-Star Game on one page. I'm not going to check a page for each game.

NYYF Triple Crown

Does EvanJ know how many All Star Games have had pitchers from the same team get both the win and the save?
    Okay, since the Saves stat has only been around since 1969 I looked it up. Many All Star games since then didn't award anyone a Save.

However, the first team to have the pitcher from the same team get both the Win and the Save is, of course, the 2001 Seattle Mariners of 116 win fame. Garcia got the win and Sasaki got the save.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Portbb View Post
    Okay, since the Saves stat has only been around since 1969 I looked it up. Many All Star games since then didn't award anyone a Save.

However, the first team to have the pitcher from the same team get both the Win and the Save is, of course, the 2001 Seattle Mariners of 116 win fame. Garcia got the win and Sasaki got the save.
    But were there any others between then and 2019?

NYYF Legend

But were there any others between then and 2019?
    I found out today in the YES broadcast that 2001 was indeed the only other time since the introduction of the Save stat that teammates got both the W and the S in an All-Star Game.

However, there were two other such occasions avant la lettre, so to speak: 1947 (Spec Shea and Joe Page of the Yankees) and 1960 (first game, there were two that year; Bob Friend and Verne Law of the Pirates).

So, it's happened only four times in all, and two times the pitchers in question were Yankees.

NYYF Legend

I found out today in the YES broadcast that 2001 was indeed the only other time since the introduction of the Save stat that teammates got both the W and the S in an All-Star Game.

However, there were two other such occasions avant la lettre, so to speak: 1947 (Spec Shea and Joe Page of the Yankees) and 1960 (first game, there were two that year; Bob Friend and Verne Law of the Pirates).

So, it's happened only four times in all, and two times the pitchers in question were Yankees.
    Not sure why you added an "e" to Vern Law's name but that's beside the point. Since trivia begets trivia, it should be noted that Vern Law won the Cy Young award in 1960. I wonder how many starting pitchers got ASG saves in the year they won the Cy Young?

Since there was no Cy before 1955, that excludes ASG games from 1933-54. The window for it to happen, then, was probably 1955-1972 (I think Earl Weaver was the last manager who refused to put relievers on the ASG roster and even he was doing it by 1980, which was his last ASG as manager).
    "This game has a heartbeat, Brian." -- Joe Torre

all Yankees starters doing their job to demolish Cashman's leverage with eggs leading up to the trade deadline, barring tanaka bearing down after allowing 3 without recording an out

yikes

his second consecutive non representative start vs. Boston

4.51 era now. Essentially none of the starters on the roster can be counted on 100%. Cashman has failed on upgrading the staff time and time again

This act is getting pretty old.
    "Thurman (Munson) was indispensable and irreplaceable...." - Yankees Owner George Steinbrenner

in his last 2 innings game vs colorado and tonight tanaka has given up 12 runs..

Quote Originally Posted by danman1202 View Post
    4.51 era now. Essentially none of the starters on the roster can be counted on 100%. Cashman has failed on upgrading the staff time and time again
    Nobody really had an issue with Severino, Paxton, Happ and Tanaka. Its just gone terribly...hopefully it can be fixed this week

NYYF Legend

How often does a pitcher allow 7 runs in the first inning and have 14 fewer pitches through 2 innings than the other starts? If the previous starters had pitched longer, Tanaka might have been taken out in the first.

Quote Originally Posted by b_joseph View Post
    Nobody really had an issue with Severino, Paxton, Happ and Tanaka. Its just gone terribly...hopefully it can be fixed this week
    yeah that isnt true at all

Released Outright

his mentals are a huge issue to me.

his confidence is shot.

yeah that isnt true at all
    Which one of those four did you have an issue with before the season started?

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

18 runs in 4 innings against the Sox.

So yeah. Lets just avoid this matchup from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by nyy42 View Post
    his mentals are a huge issue to me.
    Whatís the problem with his mental?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by b_joseph View Post
    It definitely wasnít the greatest rotation in history (although over the past 2-3 years it had been better than people think), but when all 4 guys have either career worst years or donít play at all, that is going to hurt

NYYF Legend

4.79, his final line for tonight.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    It's not supple enough. It's too detri.

NYYF Legend

Careful. Donít Goldwater.
    "Be a voice, not an echo." - Albert Einstein

Released Outright

Everything. Costing the team Wís. Taxing the bullpen.

Quote Originally Posted by nyy42 View Post
    Everything. Costing the team Wís. Taxing the bullpen.
    Losing Severino was major. It pushed the others up a level and none of them are #1s.

Got help from Germain but he got hurt and is inexperienced with innings limits

Thread Information