+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11
    NYYF Legend

Re: 2019 Luke Voit Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    I'll go do that right away. I have them all on speed dial, should be pretty straightforward.
    sarcastic_lou_14
    Do not fear, all we want to do is talk.

Only words, and then your thoughts.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by YanksBeatBraves1996 View Post
    I sense that Luke Voit in an attempt to raise his BA, isn't aiming for the outfield fences, but hitting singles.
    This one needed, what, like 20 minutes to age badly?
    "This game has a heartbeat, Brian." -- Joe Torre

Voit 1.108 OPS in his last 7. Heating up.....

At 179 BA's he has 33 runs and 35 RBI's

Weighting at 2.79 (500 BA's) extrapolate 92 Runs and 97 RBIS. It would be badarse if he could swing a 100/100. That's a BEAST season

I'd take that......

I'll go do that right away. I have them all on speed dial, should be pretty straightforward.
    There's this thing called the Internet you used to get here. On it, you can find things.

Quote Originally Posted by Melancynic View Post
    There's this thing called the Internet you used to get here. On it, you can find things.
    There's this thing called a message board I used to ask my question. On it, you can learn things from other people in a way that not only brings context to a potentially nuanced topic, but also generates the enjoyment of social interaction.

You and I have never had a problem but I'm really scratching my head wondering why you chose to be such a jerk here.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

NYYF Legend

What specifically makes Rice a bad guy? I live in New England and see him occasionally on NESN, he seems even-tempered and mostly harmless.
    What I remember is that he was very difficult with the media back in his playing days. He also just like Goose who thinks that the old timer is always better. He became nicer when the Red Sox and the media started to push for his HOF case.

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    What I remember is that he was very difficult with the media back in his playing days. He also just like Goose who thinks that the old timer is always better.
    Yep, that I was aware of. I wasn't sure any of that rose to the level of "DB" -- hence my question -- but of course that's a subjective judgment.

NYYF Legend

Yep, that I was aware of. I wasn't sure any of that rose to the level of "DB" -- hence my question -- but of course that's a subjective judgment.
    Just found an article which may explain it.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2003/07/27/s...g-paradox.html

NYYF Legend

There's this thing called a message board I used to ask my question. On it, you can learn things from other people in a way that not only brings context to a potentially nuanced topic, but also generates the enjoyment of social interaction.

You and I have never had a problem but I'm really scratching my head wondering why you chose to be such a jerk here.
    Rice always kept people at arms length. Fans, media etc. Always. "Judge me by the numbers," or something like that is what he'd say. So, if he's unreachable and he snaps at a reporter a few times, the story becomes "Jim Rice is surly." He just didn't care enough to correct it. Truth be told, he was a pretty OK hitter who just tore up Fenway Park into a HoF career.
    "Be a voice, not an echo." - Albert Einstein

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    Just found an article which may explain it.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2003/07/27/s...g-paradox.html
    Thanks for that link. Growing up as a kid in CT I remembered Rice getting into altercations with reporters who would put a mic in his face.
    "Be a voice, not an echo." - Albert Einstein

I still have no problem with you. Ironically, I thought your post was the jerky one and I only responded in kind.

My initial response "Go ask baseball writers" was b/c I thought it was common knowledge how big of a DB he was to them. It wasn't meant to be snarky.

Rice threatened to stuff writers into lockers multiple times b/c he didn't like their questions. He ripped the shirt off Steve Fainaru, a guy who would go on to with a Pulitzer for his investigative reporting in Iraq and who, along with his brother, played a major role in uncovering how far-reaching the steroids scandal was in baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by Melancynic View Post
    I still have no problem with you. Ironically, I thought your post was the jerky one and I only responded in kind.

My initial response "Go ask baseball writers" was b/c I thought it was common knowledge how big of a DB he was to them. It wasn't meant to be snarky.

Rice threatened to stuff writers into lockers multiple times b/c he didn't like their questions. He ripped the shirt off Steve Fainaru, a guy who would go on to with a Pulitzer for his investigative reporting in Iraq and who, along with his brother, played a major role in uncovering how far-reaching the steroids scandal was in baseball.
    I've been a fan since 1976 so I watched most of Rice's career. I moved up to New England in 1988 so I've had more of a front-row seat for his post-playing days as a sometime broadcaster and perennial borderline-HOF guy who finally got in and finally got his number retired as part of the new ownership group's attempt to erase the awful, awful way the Red Sox had always treated their former players.

I was well aware of his surly rep, etc. -- but because that rep was mostly about sportswriters, and because he was a black player playing in a town with a notorious history of mistreating black athletes in those days, I was (am) inclined to give him some benefit of the doubt.

I was simply curious to know if there was a specific incident that cemented your opinion of him as a "DB" -- my question was genuine.

Anyway, I appreciate your reply. No hard feelings.

I've been a fan since 1976 so I watched most of Rice's career. I moved up to New England in 1988 so I've had more of a front-row seat for his post-playing days as a sometime broadcaster and perennial borderline-HOF guy who finally got in and finally got his number retired as part of the new ownership group's attempt to erase the awful, awful way the Red Sox had always treated their former players.

I was well aware of his surly rep, etc. -- but because that rep was mostly about sportswriters, and because he was a black player playing in a town with a notorious history of mistreating black athletes in those days, I was (am) inclined to give him some benefit of the doubt.

I was simply curious to know if there was a specific incident that cemented your opinion of him as a "DB" -- my question was genuine.

Anyway, I appreciate your reply. No hard feelings.
    He bashed modern players in comparison to “his day” guys, and threw Jeter’s name in there.

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    He bashed modern players in comparison to “his day” guys, and threw Jeter’s name in there.
    I did see that story -- it made no sense, especially given that he was talking about PEDs and dreadlocks.

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    That used to be Bob Feller's job. He was so good that now it takes two Hall of Famers to replace him, and they still can’t do it right.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    That used to be Bob Feller's job. He was so good that now it takes two Hall of Famers to replace him, and they still can’t do it right.
    Yeah, Goose Gossage has admirably filled that vacated role left by Bob Fellar's death. It's not for lack of trying on his part.

I saw Bob Fellar at card show. Nicest guy you'd ever want to talk baseball to. Mickey Mantle, not so much.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Another important contribution for the big guy. Really turning into a cornerstone piece.

Quote Originally Posted by b_joseph View Post
    Another important contribution for the big guy. Really turning into a cornerstone piece.
    Thanks for pulling this back in to scope......

Absolutely, looks to be playing for a spot at the ASG.

Voit is second in RBI's in the AL behind Abreu
    Tied for 2nd with Moreland and Cron in HR's
    1 in runs scored AL first basemen
    4th in OPS in the AL, first basemen

Would love to see one of the best players on one of the best teams in the AL make the all star game.....

Heck he leads the Yankees in runs scored and rbis second in hrs.....
    3rd in hits...
    1st in walks

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    I saw Bob Fellar at card show. Nicest guy you'd ever want to talk baseball to. Mickey Mantle, not so much.
    I had a great chat with Feller once as well. Never met Mickey.

Humongous homer by Voit today, really erased the bad taste of Merrifield's homer in a hurry.
    "This game has a heartbeat, Brian." -- Joe Torre

not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

When Bird started to fall apart, I was concerned we’d end up paying big money for a 1B. The acquisition of Voit has been a very good one.

He’s currently outperforming his ZiPS and Steamer projections.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

Thread Information