+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 11 ... LastLast

2019 Luke Voit Performance Thread

One game in.

1-for-1, with a run, 1 HR, 4 RBIs, 2 walks and 1 HBP.

That's an OPS of 1.000, a SLG of 4.000, and an OPS of 5.000.

Not a bad start.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

Re: 2019 Luke Voit Performance Thread

To think we got him for Gallegos, plus the Cards took Sheve. Voit's a few years behind the normal curve but he still has time to get to a decent contract for a slugger if he keeps this up.
    Let the kids play.

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

Man, Cashman might have hit the jackpot with this trade.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    To think we got him for Gallegos, plus the Cards took Sheve. Voit's a few years behind the normal curve but he still has time to get to a decent contract for a slugger if he keeps this up.
    He's not getting jack in terms of a contract if the Yankees don't try and get a big discount in exchange for giving him a guarantee. He still hasn't hit one year of service time! The Yankees control him for the next six seasons, and he's 28 this year. Even if he remains a force he's not hitting FA until his age 34 season.

I mean, I guess if he's literally the Missourian David Ortiz, but if he's just "a slugger" the Yankees can play this out for six more years and get the entirety of his prime without any guarantees/contracts.

But yeah, this one is on the brink of "astonishing" in terms of what Cashman may have pulled off in that deal with the Cardinals.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

NYYF Legend

I'm hoping he's Nelson Cruz V2.0 a guy who seemed to have potential but finally put it together at age 28 and after a nice cameo at age 27.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    He's not getting jack in terms of a contract if the Yankees don't try and get a big discount in exchange for giving him a guarantee. He still hasn't hit one year of service time! The Yankees control him for the next six seasons, and he's 28 this year. Even if he remains a force he's not hitting FA until his age 34 season.

I mean, I guess if he's literally the Missourian David Ortiz, but if he's just "a slugger" the Yankees can play this out for six more years and get the entirety of his prime without any guarantees/contracts.

But yeah, this one is on the brink of "astonishing" in terms of what Cashman may have pulled off in that deal with the Cardinals.
    Part of me feels bad because if Voit is indeed the real deal, he won't hit FA till he's 34. Good luck getting a long-term contract at that age.

Quote Originally Posted by NYYfan4life90 View Post
    Part of me feels bad because if Voit is indeed the real deal, he won't hit FA till he's 34. Good luck getting a long-term contract at that age.
    If he becomes a fixture at first and keeps blasting homers, he値l make some good money even without a long term contract. Still, he値l need to keep up the .900 OPS for a couple more years before he gets a nice payday.
    Let the kids play.

If he becomes a fixture at first and keeps blasting homers, he値l make some good money even without a long term contract. Still, he値l need to keep up the .900 OPS for a couple more years before he gets a nice payday.
    Yeah look at what arb is getting guys nowaways 15-20 mil!

NYYF Legend

With 169 service days he'll definitely be a super two, so at least he's got that going for him when it comes to simply making money.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by NYYfan4life90 View Post
    Flip side is he could have never really gotten a chance, and now he'll been able to earn millions by his early 30s as long as he delivers. While he certainly could have made more, he was even more fortunate than the Yankees that this is working out like it has so far.

NYYF Legend

Agreed.

Nelson Cruz did quite well for himself, in spite of being a late starter.

NYYF Legend

Lets also not forget that, at the time, the big win to us as fans (outside of getting Shreve out of the pen) was the $1.1M in IFA money that the Cards gave up, which was used to sign 16 year old Cuban, Osiel Rodriguez who is currently the Yankees 18th best prospect on Pipeline, as well as. It also left almost half a million to put towards another big J2 guy like Kevin Alcantara.

If Voit remains Voit and Rodriguez pans out, this has potential to become an entry in the most lopsided MLB trades of all time book.

The downside is that Luke is not Don Mattingly or Tex in fielding prowess and that's why Greg Bird, if he bats say .270 and plays good defense, will play 1B more often than not.

Quote Originally Posted by YanksBeatBraves1996 View Post
    The downside is that Luke is not Don Mattingly or Tex in fielding prowess and that's why Greg Bird, if he bats say .270 and plays good defense, will play 1B more often than not.
    I'm not sure he's Jason Giambi in fielding prowess.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I'm not sure he's Jason Giambi in fielding prowess.
    Despite the bad throw yesterday, Voit displayed a strong and accurate arm last year. Giambi had the worst throwing arm for a first baseman I've ever seen.
    Let the kids play.

I don稚 think Bird has shown to be that much better with the glove.
    But I don稚 see a ton of games

Quote Originally Posted by Obnoxio View Post
    I don稚 think Bird has shown to be that much better with the glove.
    But I don稚 see a ton of games
    Bird doesn't scoop well on low throws. To me it all comes down to who does that best.
    Let the kids play.

The Death Star is Sputtering Zimmer's Helmet's Avatar

Despite the bad throw yesterday, Voit displayed a strong and accurate arm last year. Giambi had the worst throwing arm for a first baseman I've ever seen.
    I agree. I shudder to think how bad he must have been at 3rd base before Oakland converted him into a 1B.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

The bad throw on Saturday was mostly a result of bad judgment. There was no way he could make the play and should not have tried. I知 more concerned with his ability to field the ball. LeMahieu's throwing error was legitimately on LeMahieu, but a better first baseman would have handled it.

NYYF Legend

Frank Thomas. The worst throwing 1B ever, or at least in my lifetime of watching baseball, going back to 1966. Thomas could field, but throwing? Forget about it.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    The bad throw on Saturday was mostly a result of bad judgment. There was no way he could make the play and should not have tried. I知 more concerned with his ability to field the ball. LeMahieu's throwing error was legitimately on LeMahieu, but a better first baseman would have handled it.
    He is going to have to hit a ton because he is way below average defensively. It not just errors, it痴 plays that are not being made.

NYYF Legend

Luke Voit with runners on base last 3 games (thru 5th inning):

8 Plate appearances
    8 Outs
    13 Men left on base
    https://twitter.com/ktsharp/status/1...139672577?s=19

Ouch!!!

I hope this isn't the real Luke Voit. Hopefully the real Voit is somewhere between this and what we saw last year.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by matt2351 View Post
    I hope this isn't the real Luke Voit. Hopefully the real Voit is somewhere between this and what we saw last year.
    I have a lot of confidence this isn't the real Luke Voit. Years and years of mL numbers show a different guy than someone who would be this inept..

Thread Information