+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Re: 2019 Luke Voit Performance Thread

Tonight, Luke went 3-3, 1 walk and 1 RBI.

Luke is contributing to this team's success every day, is under 30, is not THAT bad defensively, is a fan favorite and is cheap. EE is certainly not a defensive wiz, is 35 and besides, we can keep both in the starting lineup every day. I would start Stanton in RF where there is less room to cover and move Judge to LF where he can still benefit from having that superior arm. Trade Frasier, not Voit.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Steve View Post
    Luke is contributing to this team's success every day, is under 30, is not THAT bad defensively, is a fan favorite and is cheap. EE is certainly not a defensive wiz, is 35 and besides, we can keep both in the starting lineup every day. I would start Stanton in RF where there is less room to cover and move Judge to LF where he can still benefit from having that superior arm. Trade Frasier, not Voit.
    Frazier is young and has elite bat speed. I really hate the idea of letting him walk to another team....... Also is a good base runner, has elite speed.

Voit is good no question, but he is coming up on 29 and most of these guys begin to taper off after 30, so what's that? 2.5 more years of Voit before you begin to see serious regression. See Goldschidmt in St Louis..... He turned 31 and has become a totally different player.

From what I read you lose bat speed.... With that said I get "it". He is a fan favorite and ultimately it's the fans that run things. They stop coming out you lose money. Winning ain't everything..... Money is, at least in respect to the owners, usually.

Ultimately it's a tough decision. But ethically you really want to see the other players florish and stock piling powder down in the MILB isn't a long term plan.

It's a tough decision I wouldn't want to make......

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Voit Fan View Post
    Frazier is young and has elite bat speed. I really hate the idea of letting him walk to another team....... Also is a good base runner, has elite speed.

Voit is good no question, but he is coming up on 29 and most of these guys begin to taper off after 30, so what's that? 2.5 more years of Voit before you begin to see serious regression. See Goldschidmt in St Louis..... He turned 31 and has become a totally different player.

From what I read you lose bat speed.... With that said I get "it". He is a fan favorite and ultimately it's the fans that run things. They stop coming out you lose money. Winning ain't everything..... Money is, at least in respect to the owners, usually.

Ultimately it's a tough decision. But ethically you really want to see the other players florish and stock piling powder down in the MILB isn't a long term plan.

It's a tough decision I wouldn't want to make......
    There are many examples of players maintaining success into their mid 30's. I wouldn't worry about Luke losing it at 31 or 32. He is a work fanatic and is a very strong guy, not someone who is going to wear down that quickly. Just my opinion, of course.

NYYF Legend

13 teams have reached on catchers interference this year. Voit could have made it 14, but the umpire didn't know that his bat hit d'Arnaud's glove. Boone came out, and since Michael Kay did not mention replay, I'm assuming it's not reviewable. Why not? If the bat hit the glove or not is black-and-white, and it's rare, so it's not something that could be challenged and waste time too often. It's not a judgement call, and it's not comparing the order of events that could be tied.

Quote Originally Posted by EvanJ View Post
    13 teams have reached on catchers interference this year. Voit could have made it 14, but the umpire didn't know that his bat hit d'Arnaud's glove. Boone came out, and since Michael Kay did not mention replay, I'm assuming it's not reviewable. Why not? If the bat hit the glove or not is black-and-white, and it's rare, so it's not something that could be challenged and waste time too often. It's not a judgement call, and it's not comparing the order of events that could be tied.
    Maybe Ellsbury could be wheeled out to the stadium during BP and help show some of the guys the finer points of reaching base on catcher's interference. It's about the only thing he does well.

Quote Originally Posted by EvanJ View Post
    Only certain plays are reviewable, and they're specified in the rule. I can't tell you why catcher's interference wasn't included, but it wasn't.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

2 runs scored tonight with 2 walks.......

I'm beginning to think Voit might get to a 100 runs scored this season. 47 runs with a injury depleted team. With the horses coming back and his ability to walk...... Just saying.

With 89 games left can Luke Voit:

30 home runs
    100 RBIS excuse me RBI
    100 Runs
    Maintain an 900+ OPS
    150 Hits
    100 BB

Any of these obtainable in your opinion?

Iím interested in seeing if his numbers get an even bigger boost once the real lineup is back and heís got protection and guys on base. He could easily reach those numbers if he keeps on keeping on.
    NYYFans FBB: Evil Empire

I'm beginning to think Voit might get to a 100 runs scored this season. 47 runs with a injury depleted team. With the horses coming back and his ability to walk...... Just saying.

30 home runs
    100 RBIS excuse me RBI
    100 Runs
    Maintain an 900+ OPS
    150 Hits
    100 BB

Yes, all. His body of work now consists of 180 major league games with a .911 OPS. Heís proven this season that last year was not a fluke and that heís the real deal.

30 home runs
    100 RBIS excuse me RBI
    100 Runs
    Maintain an 900+ OPS
    150 Hits
    100 BB

RBIs. Sorry if Steve is offended.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    RBIs. Sorry if Steve is offended.
    I've been using RBI and RBIs interchangeably all this time and never realized it was so controversial.

I'm too self-conscious right now to be certain, but I think I would typically write "3 RBI" but say "3 RBIs" out loud?
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

It's RBI damnit!

NYYF Legend

The only plural form of the acronym, RBI would be the phonetic bastardization of it.

"ribbies"
    "Be a voice, not an echo." - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    The only plural form of the acronym, RBI would be the phonetic bastardization of it.

"ribbies"
    Ribbies is acceptable since it is slang. "RBI" is an actual analytical, baseball term.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    Ribbies is acceptable since it is slang. "RBI" is an actual analytical, baseball term.
    ...Where the plurality is denoted within the acronym itself (specifically, the word run which can take on the plural form to represent multiple runs batted in).

Run batted in, or RBI.
    Runs batted in, or RBI.

Iíll go righteously pedantic on this point.
    "Be a voice, not an echo." - Albert Einstein

It's RBI damnit!
    RBIs is grammatically correct but RBI is accepted now as well for only what I can assume is that so many have decided to make up their own English rules that we may as well accept it. Websterís adds words to the dictionary every year for the same reason.
    Let the kids play.

I will fight to the death. Just like I am standing tall with the DL. It's RBI, and will never not be!

I will fight to the death. Just like I am standing tall with the DL. It's RBI, and will never not be!
    You can make up any rules you want! Ain’t that right?
    Let the kids play.

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    You can make up any rules you want! Ain’t that right?
    Oh I’m not making up rules. I’m adhering to rules that have been in place for a century!

For the DL, I refuse to change because in no way does it even remotely refer to the differently abled. If anyone gets triggered by hearing the term DL in regards to sports they should seek psychiatric help. Or just simply get over it. It’s not insulting. And if you’re insulted by it, it’s your own problem, not an entire industry’s problem.

As for RBI, it’s grammatically correct. If it’s been changed and accepted otherwise it's due to the fact that people just continue to say it so they bend and make it acceptable. That’s not how it works. It’s like when you’re a kid and your teacher would always correct you when you said “I’m doing good” to “I’m doing well”. I mean, are we going to change the way we spell "your" and "you’re" because people are just morons? How about we just skip it all together and say “ur” from now on?

This is the dumbing down of society and we’re becoming an idiocracy instead of educating people to be correct.
    Last edited by Hitman23; 06-20-19 at 02:41 PM.

Oh Iím not making up rules. Iím adhering to rules that have been in place for a century!

For the DL, I refuse to change because in no way does it even remotely refer to the differently abled. If anyone gets triggered by hearing the term DL in regards to sports they should seek psychiatric help. Or just simply get over it. Itís not insulting. And if youíre insulted by it, itís your own problem, not an entire industryís problem.

As for RBI, itís grammatically correct. If itís been changed and accepted otherwise it's due to the fact that people just continue to say it so they bend and make it acceptable. Thatís not how it works. Itís like when youíre a kid and your teacher would always correct you when you said ďIím doing goodĒ to ďIím doing wellĒ. I mean, are we going to change the way we spell "your" and "youíre" because people are just morons? How about we just skip it all together and say ďurĒ from now on?

This is the dumbing down of society and weíre becoming and idiocracy instead of educating people to be correct.
    Who needs water we have brawndo. Plants crave it.

As for RBI, itís grammatically correct..
    Itís not. Weíve linked the acronym rules here before and quoted English professors on this subject. Bottom line, acronyms are nouns and there is ALWAYS an ďsĒ to make an acronym plural, no matter what the acronym is spelled out. That has always been the English rule. Then some smart folks decided that didnít make sense because when you say Runs Batted Ins it sounds funny, in effect making up their own rule on the matter.
    Let the kids play.

NYYF Legend

Itís not. Weíve linked the acronym rules here before and quoted English professors on this subject. Bottom line, acronyms are nouns and there is ALWAYS an ďsĒ to make an acronym plural, no matter what the acronym is spelled out. That has always been the English rule. Then some smart folks decided that didnít make sense because when you say Runs Batted Ins it sounds funny, in effect making up their own rule on the matter.
    Hitsman schooled.
    The Good News: The rested Yankees will be ready for the Pennant Race that resting the Yankees will create!

Who needs water we have brawndo. Plants crave it.
    It has electrolytes!!!

Fake news!

Thread Information