+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 15 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast

Re: 2019 Luke Voit Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by dustedroad View Post
    This is a bit misleading. Hes had 76 abs since the allstar break and that was right after being out for 8 games plus the allstar break. And hes only been back for 7 games now.

I'm not misleading anybody. The stats are what they are. His last home run was July 22nd. The parrot has 2 already and been back about a week. If Voit is still hurt or recovering that's one thing but they can't afford to have him start in the playoffs if he's hittling like he is now.

I'm over Luke Voit. He's not a particularly good fielder and I think the league knows ho to pitch him now. I guess the league minimum salary will apply for 2020, but I'm not optimistic any longer.
    Supports: smart spending, roster flexibility and depth. Does not support: reckless spending and extreme prospect hugging.

Quote Originally Posted by secret_face View Post
    I'm over Luke Voit. He's not a particularly good fielder and I think the league knows ho to pitch him now. I guess the league minimum salary will apply for 2020, but I'm not optimistic any longer.
    I'm guessing that he's not over his injury and can't do the Herculean workouts he's used to. Might be many months before he feels normal.
    Let the kids play.

Lol, a complete overreaction.

Quote Originally Posted by EGK View Post
    I'm not misleading anybody. The stats are what they are. His last home run was July 22nd. The parrot has 2 already and been back about a week. If Voit is still hurt or recovering that's one thing but they can't afford to have him start in the playoffs if he's hittling like he is now.

so you are justifying your doubt about a small sample size by using a even smaller sample size after an injury. July 22nd or more accurately 12 games ago for him. Btw, judge slugged about .440 for the whole month of july after he came back and had 1 homeruns in 28 games from july 20th to august 18th if we just bringing up random players as examples of how players should perform after an injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    I'm guessing that he's not over his injury and can't do the Herculean workouts he's used to. Might be many months before he feels normal.

I'm thinking the same thing. That's a tough injury to overcome like that. I won't be surprised at all if we hear he has to have surgery after the season.

so you are justifying your doubt about a small sample size by using a even smaller sample size after an injury. July 22nd or more accurately 12 games ago for him. Btw, judge slugged about .440 for the whole month of july after he came back and had 1 homeruns in 28 games from july 20th to august 18th if we just bringing up random players as examples of how players should perform after an injury.

I'm simply saying they have better options going into the playoffs. He's got about 3 weeks to make a push for a spot. DJ already looks like a better fielder at first and there's no comparison at the plate. Encarnacion has way more of a track record and experience and is already hitting the ball hard after a month on the IL.

I was a big Voit booster in the first half and still hopeful he has a great career but depending on who gets healthy, I could see them leaving him off the playoff roster entirely.

I'm simply saying they have better options going into the playoffs. He's got about 3 weeks to make a push for a spot. DJ already looks like a better fielder at first and there's no comparison at the plate. Encarnacion has way more of a track record and experience and is already hitting the ball hard after a month on the IL.

I was a big Voit booster in the first half and still hopeful he has a great career but depending on who gets healthy, I could see them leaving him off the playoff roster entirely.

DJ is going to play regardless so its really not a competition for playing time between DJ and voit. Its between ursela and voit and what happens with stanton's injury. There's also like multiple guys on the 25 that wont be anywhere near the playoff roster. Hopefully two of them will be filled by severino and betances but lets see what happens. Its real early to make playoff decisions on sept 8 on a guy who has play 12 games in like two months while there's also 4 other guys still injured, 3 of them who haven't really played at all this year.

DJ is going to play regardless so its really not a competition for playing time between DJ and voit. Its between ursela and voit and what happens with stanton's injury. There's also like multiple guys on the 25 that wont be anywhere near the playoff roster. Hopefully two of them will be filled by severino and betances but lets see what happens. Its real early to make playoff decisions on sept 8 on a guy who has play 12 games in like two months while there's also 4 other guys still injured, 3 of them who haven't really played at all this year.
    I agree with everything you've said here. The next couple of weeks should tell us whether Urshela or Voit is the more productive player, though my money is on Urshela especially given that playing him at 3B and DJL at 1B greatly improves the infield defense.

Stanton is the one player who really concerns me, because I worry he will get a spot on the roster and a place high up in the lineup regardless of how he's actually performing, just due to his star status. The fact that Tauchman has gone cold makes this less of an issue than it might have been, but it's still a concern.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

I'm thinking the same thing. That's a tough injury to overcome like that. I won't be surprised at all if we hear he has to have surgery after the season.
    Yeah, most people donít know anything about sports hernias. Bad injury to have - with little known about treatment. I had a very mild one that I was able to overcome with physical therapyÖat least to the point of living a normal life (not necessarily being a professional athlete).

NYYF Legend

Hopefully Luke becomes Luke again. We shall see.

If not, the best group may be:

C - Sanchez
    1B - EE
    2B - LeMa
    3B - Urshela
    SS - Torres
    LF - Tauch (not hitting as well, but still getting on base)
    CF - Gardner (if Hix never returns)
    RF - Judge
    DH - Stanton

I do like the ringing double Voit had in his last at bat last night.
    In "Kids in the Hall" I trust

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    Hopefully Luke becomes Luke again. We shall see.

If not, the best group may be:

C - Sanchez
    1B - EE
    2B - LeMa
    3B - Urshela
    SS - Torres
    LF - Tauch (not hitting as well, but still getting on base)
    CF - Gardner (if Hix never returns)
    RF - Judge
    DH - Stanton

I do like the ringing double Voit had in his last at bat last night.
    So Didi sits? Can't say I agree with that. Stanton needs to be able to play LF, as Boone hinted at. Then EE can DH, DJ @ 1st, Torres @ 2B, & Didi @ SS, with Tauchman or Maybin coming in off the bench as pinch runners or for defensive purposes.

Re: Voit - he needs to hit his way on to an October roster over these last couple of weeks. Otherwise, he may be left out.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    So Didi sits? Can't say I agree with that. Stanton needs to be able to play LF, as Boone hinted at. Then EE can DH, DJ @ 1st, Torres @ 2B, & Didi @ SS, with Tauchman or Maybin coming in off the bench as pinch runners or for defensive purposes.

Re: Voit - he needs to hit his way on to an October roster over these last couple of weeks. Otherwise, he may be left out.
    DiDi sitting makes for the best fielding infield and batting infield.
    Stanton DHing makes for the best fielding OF. Had Stanton been healthy all year, Iíd want him in the OF full time.
    In "Kids in the Hall" I trust

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    I agree with everything you've said here. The next couple of weeks should tell us whether Urshela or Voit is the more productive player, though my money is on Urshela especially given that playing him at 3B and DJL at 1B greatly improves the infield defense.

Stanton is the one player who really concerns me, because I worry he will get a spot on the roster and a place high up in the lineup regardless of how he's actually performing, just due to his star status. The fact that Tauchman has gone cold makes this less of an issue than it might have been, but it's still a concern.

same, stanton is streaky, seems to need alot of reps to get in the groove and hes still not back yet. Without his power, I think he brings less than voit since his OBP is average/below average.

We may be seeing the Luke Voit that the Cardinals thought he would be......the Cardinals usually don't make many mistakes in evaluating and letting go of talent. Kind of disappointing that he hasn't adjusted to how he is being pitched........change-ups and breaking balls early in the count.....fast balls to finish him off.........if he's still hurt then why are they playing him when Yanks are in a head to head with Astros for top seed.......Yanks can't afford to give up anything to the Astros......

Quote Originally Posted by yesteryearman View Post
    We may be seeing the Luke Voit that the Cardinals thought he would be......the Cardinals usually don't make many mistakes in evaluating and letting go of talent. Kind of disappointing that he hasn't adjusted to how he is being pitched........change-ups and breaking balls early in the count.....fast balls to finish him off.........if he's still hurt then why are they playing him when Yanks are in a head to head with Astros for top seed.......Yanks can't afford to give up anything to the Astros......
    I find it absolutely hysterical how quickly some of you sour on guys...

Cardinals don't make any mistakes on evaluating talent... They are incredible... hence why they challenge for titles every year, right?? Absurd statement to say the least.

Voit has been light years better than any one could have expected, but as soon as he struggles, yup, knew he sucked.

Quote Originally Posted by Smashed View Post
    I find it absolutely hysterical how quickly some of you sour on guys...

Cardinals don't make any mistakes on evaluating talent... They are incredible... hence why they challenge for titles every year, right?? Absurd statement to say the least.

Voit has been light years better than any one could have expected, but as soon as he struggles, yup, knew he sucked.
    Yea and he struggles after returning from an injury that typically requires surgery, but no he just was never as good as we thought, lol.

I donít think itís ridiculous to think that Voit might not be as good as his stats for the last year suggest. I wouldnít write him off, but the idea of a significant regression to the mean isnít ludicrous.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I donít think itís ridiculous to think that Voit might not be as good as his stats for the last year suggest. I wouldnít write him off, but the idea of a significant regression to the mean isnít ludicrous.
    His stats this year pre-injury are logically the ďrealĒ Voit. Saying now that heís just not that good because heís injured and slumping after he was one of the best hitters in the lineup the first half and obviously the second half last year is silly. Yea heís not quite as good as the second half 2018, but everyone knew that was unsustainable, but still a very good player when healthy

Quote Originally Posted by primetime714 View Post
    His stats this year pre-injury are logically the ďrealĒ Voit. Saying now that heís just not that good because heís injured and slumping after he was one of the best hitters in the lineup the first half and obviously the second half last year is silly. Yea heís not quite as good as the second half 2018, but everyone knew that was unsustainable, but still a very good player when healthy
    Itís a reasonable line of logic, but not necessary or exclusive of all others. As I said, the posters writing him off were overreacting, but I think itís possible to suspend judgment on just how good he is.

If his floor is a solid enough 1B with a decent bat getting paid league minimum, I don't think the Yankees will complain. I still can't believe they got him for a Shreve and Gallegos. Though the latter is doing decently, with the Yankees bullpen strength he was not needed.

Happens always. Guy isnt hitting, people doubt if he was ever good enough or if he will be good ever again.
    If it can happen to Judge, which it ludicrously did, then it can happen to Voit.

His pre injury numbers were superb. His post injury numbers have been what one would expect from a post injury player, who is likely playing through the injury. Maybe it will cost him a starters spot but nothing has happened that should make people doubt his ability, at full health.

Quote Originally Posted by H.Kokubo View Post
    If his floor is a solid enough 1B with a decent bat getting paid league minimum, I don't think the Yankees will complain. I still can't believe they got him for a Shreve and Gallegos. Though the latter is doing decently, with the Yankees bullpen strength he was not needed.
    I didn't even realize Gallegos was doing THAT good for the Cards. Wow..

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Itís a reasonable line of logic, but not necessary or exclusive of all others. As I said, the posters writing him off were overreacting, but I think itís possible to suspend judgment on just how good he is.
    Voit is 28yrs old. It's the Cardinals who wrote him off.

In this season of the injury list, various players have wildly exceeded expectations. Besides Voit, we have Gio, Tauchman and Maybin who weren't even expected to be on the ML roster. Everyone is wondering if all these guys are for real or simply having a career year.

I hope Voit is for real and can play first base for years to come but it's not like he has a huge track record. He could still be injured or pitchers could have figured him out. Either way, he needs to hit or they have better options to use at 1B in the playoffs. That's not writing him off. That's just being realistic.

He's hitting again, so the thread is quiet. Interesting!

Thread Information