+ Reply to Thread
Page 275 of 329 FirstFirst ... 175 225 265 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 285 325 ... LastLast
Results 6,851 to 6,875 of 8208

Re: 2019 Regular Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by hairnovaaa View Post
    this is what I call a "swing, miss, or HR" lineup.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    Sterling had one the other day (I forget the years) Ruth had more home runs than each team's home run total. I doubt that one will be done again.
    He was doing some variation of this for a few years before and maybe after, but it was 1920 - Babe Ruth hit 54 HR, or more than homers than 14 of the 16 MLB teams. Obviously one of those teams was the Yankees themselves. The other was the Philadelphia Phillies, who were playing their home games at the time in one of the most home run friendly ballparks in baseball history: Baker Bowl.
    "Be a voice, not an echo." - Albert Einstein

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by smckdwn989 View Post
    so close to being the "A" lineup, but still REALLY REALLY GOOD.
    This is the A lineup as far as I'm concerned. I love it.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by latech View Post
    this is what I call a "swing, miss, or HR" lineup.
    Getting closer to A team. Just Didi
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

records are made to be broken unless you're Cy Young
    Johnny Vander Meer says hello.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    He was doing some variation of this for a few years before and maybe after, but it was 1920 - Babe Ruth hit 54 HR, or more than homers than 14 of the 16 MLB teams. Obviously one of those teams was the Yankees themselves. The other was the Philadelphia Phillies, who were playing their home games at the time in one of the most home run friendly ballparks in baseball history: Baker Bowl.
    In looking at stats from those days, you have to wonder how many home runs were over the fence and how many were inside the park. Maybe if you only count the jog-around-the-bases kind, Ruth beats the Phillies as well -- but I'm not sure if we even know for certain which were which.

Do you know if the Baker Bowl was "homer friendly" because the fences were short, or the opposite (in other words, more inside-the-parkers)?
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    Johnny Vander Meer says hello.
    2 no-hitters in a row is a really tough one to break these days. No one ever pitches 2 nine-inning complete games in a row anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by mbn007 View Post
    2 no-hitters in a row is a really tough one to break these days. No one ever pitches 2 nine-inning complete games in a row anymore.
    That would only tie the record. To break it, you'd need three.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    Do you know if the Baker Bowl was "homer friendly" because the fences were short, or the opposite (in other words, more inside-the-parkers)?
    Extremely short distance to right field (280 feet i think?), they had an enormous 60-foot tin fence, sort of a Green Monster type thing but in right field.

The Phillies were really bad for most of the Baker Bowl era. One year they managed to sell ad space on the big fence to the makers of Lifebuoy deodorant soap. The sign read "The Phillies use LIFEBUOY deodorant soap." One night a graffiti artist sneaked in and wrote on the bottom of the sign: "They still stink."
    "This game has a heartbeat, Brian." -- Joe Torre

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    In looking at stats from those days, you have to wonder how many home runs were over the fence and how many were inside the park. Maybe if you only count the jog-around-the-bases kind, Ruth beats the Phillies as well -- but I'm not sure if we even know for certain which were which.

1920 the Yankees were sharing The Polo Grounds with the Giants.

Baker Bowl: 342 / 359 / 408 / 300 / 280
    Polo Grounds: 280 / 455 / 483 / 449 / 258

Baker Bowl was definitely light in the power alleys. Forbes, League Park, Shibe etc all had much deeper alleys than Baker Bowl did.

The real question is how many inside the park HRs did the Babe hit in 1920? SABR has Babe hitting 10 IPH in his career.

At least a pitcher theoretically has a chance to do that in today's game.

I'm with FredMuggs, Cy Young's record for complete games (749) is the safest one out there to me.

A pitcher would need to throw a complete game every 5th game for 22.7 seasons in order to break that one.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Rob035 View Post

I'm with FredMuggs, Cy Young's record for complete games (749) is the safest one out there to me.

A pitcher would need to throw a complete game every 5th game for 22.7 seasons in order to break that one.
    If we use team records and can include 19th century, the 1899 Cleveland Spiders lost 101 road games. That is mathematically impossible now. That record stands forever.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    The real question is how many inside the park HRs did the Babe hit in 1920? SABR has Babe hitting 10 IPH in his career.
    Not sure about this but I believe that for much of Babe's career, a ball that passed the foul pole in fair territory but landed foul was considered a foul ball, not a HR like today. Kind of like a line drive that is fair in the air when passing third base, but makes its landing in foul territory, that's a foul. If true, that had to have cost Babe some home runs.

Conversely, though, a ball that one-hopped over the outfield wall was ruled a home run in that era, not a ground rule double like today. Probably not a big factor in the Polo Grounds which, if memory serves, had high fences, but certainly could have been a factor in Yankee Stadium with its "porches."

NYYF Legend

That would indeed be difficult but one that I could see broken as the K becomes more and more common, just not likely because very few pitchers throw 3 straight complete games, let alone no hitters.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    If we use team records and can include 19th century, the 1899 Cleveland Spiders lost 101 road games. That is mathematically impossible now. That record stands forever.
    I could see a natural disaster rendering a teams home stadium unplayable and they play an all road schedule. Not likely but possible.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

Not sure about this but I believe that for much of Babe's career, a ball that passed the foul pole in fair territory but landed foul was considered a foul ball, not a HR like today. Kind of like a line drive that is fair in the air when passing third base, but makes its landing in foul territory, that's a foul. If true, that had to have cost Babe some home runs.

Conversely, though, a ball that one-hopped over the outfield wall was ruled a home run in that era, not a ground rule double like today. Probably not a big factor in the Polo Grounds which, if memory serves, had high fences, but certainly could have been a factor in Yankee Stadium with its "porches."
    There is a book that came out a few years ago that details all the HRs that Babe lost due to that rule. Also all the shots he hit that would be HRs now but not in the YS he played in.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    I could see a natural disaster rendering a teams home stadium unplayable and they play an all road schedule. Not likely but possible.
    Didn't that happen to the Mariners? Some tiles fell from the Kingdome roof and they had to play a bunch of home games on the road.

I think one record that will never be broken is Cal's Ironman streak.
    The Continuance of Being Great, is Getting Number Twenty-Eight

NYYF Legend

I seem to recall that rule as well. Can you imagine uncorking a 475 foot blast to dead center and being forced to stop at second cuz of the GRD rule?

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    This is the A lineup as far as I'm concerned. I love it.
    I have to agree, when I read threw it I said A lineup for sure.
    "Show me what you got!" Big head from "Rick and Morty"

records are made to be broken unless you're Cy Young

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NYYFAN View Post
    I have to agree, when I read threw it I said A lineup for sure.
    Me: [checks math...] Oh...Didi...

Don't know if it has been mentioned but DJ leading the league in hitting. 12th in OBP. Tied for 8th in RBIs . 4th in runs. 3rd in hits. 18th in OPS. Leads second basemen in fielding.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Rob035 View Post

This is the correct answer here. Cy Young's CG record is the most unbreakable record in sports.

Other records also have low probabilities, but many of those - like Vander Meer's no-hitter streak - require "only" an incredibly good/lucky player to come along for a moment in time; or even a season.

Throwing the Cy Young CG record out there is almost no fun because it wins the conversation every time. To put it in perspective, CC could have thrown a CG every single start of his career so far...and would still have to pitch 7 more years of a CG every start in order to get there.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    I would think that in such a scenario, MLB would set the team up in a temporary "home" city (to be semi-topical, let's say Montreal). Anyplace where the players would have a regular bed to sleep in half the season. I can't see any way the MLBPA would sign off on making a team live out of a suitcase for six months.

Thread Information