+ Reply to Thread
Page 234 of 248 FirstFirst ... 134 184 224 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 244 ... LastLast
Results 5,826 to 5,850 of 6193
  1. #5826
    NYYF Legend

    NelsonMuntz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Alexandria, VA

    Re: 2019 Regular Season Thread

    https://twitter.com/riveraveblues/st...718976512?s=21

    The starters have a 5.79 ERA in the last 18 games not counting Chad Green's opener stints.
    If only we could have added a starter for just $13 million last week.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

  2. #5827

    Re: 2019 Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    https://twitter.com/riveraveblues/st...718976512?s=21



    If only we could have added a starter for just $13 million last week.
    And even with how bad the starters have been, we are 10-8 in that time.

  3. #5828
    The King dabomb2045's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Orlando, FL

    Re: 2019 Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Poppingtags View Post
    And even with how bad the starters have been, we are 10-8 in that time.

    This doesnt mean anything when you will be matching up with Houston in a first round best of 5, and they can throw Verlander and Cole at you 3 of 5 games, and you counter with guys that arent in their league.

  4. #5829
    The Death Star is Sputtering Zimmer's Helmet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Earth

    Re: 2019 Regular Season Thread

    Finally, someone in the NY media is calling out Cashman's repeated rotation failures. Kudos to Sherman:

    https://nypost.com/2019/06/12/yankee...ter-than-this/

    The Yankees are tied atop the AL East with the Rays despite having a 4.02 rotation ERA and ranking in the bottom third in innings pitched by starters. Only the non-contending Orioles, Blue Jays and Angels have a lower percentage of quality starts in the AL than the Yankees’ 31.8 (21 in 66 games). The cascading effect has overtaxed the pen.


    More than any other area, the rotation has been the Yankees’ bugaboo as they try to pursue a title. They have thrived at unearthing undervalued lineup assets while overlaying one high-octane arm after another in the bullpen. But their rotation success rate has not been the same. It is not only that they failed with Sonny Gray, but that their process led to ignoring or falling short on starters such as Justin Verlander, Gerrit Cole, Cole Hamels, Chris Sale and Patrick Corbin.


    The Astros won a championship because they did get Verlander, and are well positioned to make another run because they also landed Cole after 2017. And to date, Wade Miley for one year at $4.5 million has outdone J.A. Happ at two years, $34 million out of last offseason’s free-agent market. Now the Yankees have shunned a former Astro, with Keuchel going to the Braves. I understand the Yankees’ position that either you have a process and discipline and a line you won’t cross or you don’t. But money is an organizational strength and, particularly without any long-term obligations (Keuchel did a one-year deal), the Yankees should financially flex to problem-solve in such an obvious phase of need.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

  5. #5830

    Re: 2019 Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045 View Post
    This doesnt mean anything when you will be matching up with Houston in a first round best of 5, and they can throw Verlander and Cole at you 3 of 5 games, and you counter with guys that arent in their league.
    It's June 12th. A month ago Paxton was in a stretch of looking very dominant and certainly looked like one of those guys you could use to counter a Verlander or Cole. Tanaka at stretches looks like one of those guys as well.

  6. #5831
    NYYF Legend

    sjb23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Jacksonville, Fl

    Re: 2019 Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045 View Post
    This doesnt mean anything when you will be matching up with Houston in a first round best of 5, and they can throw Verlander and Cole at you 3 of 5 games, and you counter with guys that arent in their league.
    I respectfully disagree with this way of thinking. Any team/starting pitcher, can beat any other team/starting pitcher on any given day in October. Likewise any "ace" can get hit hard. Having a lockdown starting rotation in June doesn't necessarily guarantee anything in October. We've seen it from our side: Severino got hit hard, Sale got hit hard, others unexpectedly have pitched better than the back of their baseball cards.

    It'll be fun if/when a guy like Haap outduels a guy like Cole in October. It'll be sad (and somewhat expected) if he doesn't. Either way, I'll be enjoying the opportunities that lie ahead.

    I'm all in on adding depth, but dealing for an ace that may or may not be an ace in October and giving up a King's ransom in order to roll the dice is icing on the cake, but not the one-and-only plan that'll work.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

  7. #5832

    Re: 2019 Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    Finally, someone in the NY media is calling out Cashman's repeated rotation failures. Kudos to Sherman:

    https://nypost.com/2019/06/12/yankee...ter-than-this/
    It's mind boggling to me that some here are defending this rotation, are they even watching the games? How damning is it that only the Orioles, Blue Jays, and Angels have less quality starts. We're talking about a team with championship aspirations!!

  8. #5833
    First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    We just don't know

    Re: 2019 Regular Season Thread

    Right now there is no one I trust in a big game start - not one of our starting pitchers. The upcoming series against Tampa and Houston will be huge, and what do we have?
    Standings: Big Inning 32-16; Blue Cut 27-21; Shoo Fly 26-22; Husk 22-26; Frank Pierce 21-27; Iowa City 16-32.

  9. #5834

    Re: 2019 Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    Finally, someone in the NY media is calling out Cashman's repeated rotation failures. Kudos to Sherman:

    https://nypost.com/2019/06/12/yankee...ter-than-this/
    I think the call out of Miley being better than Happ is interesting point too as Cash has struggled to find value rotation adds and even when does he lets them walk (Gonzalez). I guess Lynn was a decent value get last year for what he did in the regular season (not the disastrous postseason appearance that shouldn’t have happened).

  10. #5835

    Re: 2019 Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by hardrain View Post
    Right now there is no one I trust in a big game start - not one of our starting pitchers. The upcoming series against Tampa and Houston will be huge, and what do we have?
    For regular season we could miss one or more of their better starters, all depends how rotations line up. That won't be the case in the post season when they will be at a disadvantage on the mound in almost every game, unless Severino returns and pitches like he did before the All-Star game last season. As Sherman correctly pointed out, Cashman deserves credit for finding undervalued position players and building a strong bullpen. One can argue that not many teams can afford to pay their closer 18 million AAV backed up by two setup men each making 13 million AAV, nevertheless Cashman used the teams financial might to obtain the players so he deserves credit. On the flip side Cashman has been a disaster when it comes to building a strong rotation capable of going deep into October. He either doesn't value starters or is incapable of identifying TOR types. It's the primary reason there have been no championships or division titles in a long time. If Cashman is incapable of building a rotation maybe it's time for a change at GM.

  11. #5836

    Re: 2019 Regular Season Thread

    Per Brendan Kuty

    James Paxton's fastball averaged 94.2 mph last night, topping out at 96.6 mph. Its average speed has declined in all three of his starts since returning from the IL. (95.11, 94.85, 94.2)

  12. #5837

    Re: 2019 Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Art Vanderlay View Post
    It's mind boggling to me that some here are defending this rotation, are they even watching the games? How damning is it that only the Orioles, Blue Jays, and Angels have less quality starts. We're talking about a team with championship aspirations!!
    When you have the best bullpen, you get away with it.

  13. #5838

    Re: 2019 Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Poppingtags View Post
    When you have the best bullpen, you get away with it.
    A bullpen that will be worn out because of the ineffectiveness of the starting rotation. Not to mention no Betances. I don't understand how anyone could be satisfied with this situation.

  14. #5839

    Re: 2019 Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Poppingtags View Post
    When you have the best bullpen, you get away with it.
    First off the bullpen wears down when starters average five innings. Secondly, they are falling short of their goal every year, they are not "getting away with it "

  15. #5840

    Re: 2019 Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by luis pecorino View Post
    A bullpen that will be worn out because of the ineffectiveness of the starting rotation. Not to mention no Betances. I don't understand how anyone could be satisfied with this situation.
    You would be satisfied with the current situation if you are happy being knocked out of the playoffs because of lousy pitching.

  16. #5841
    NYYF Legend

    mbn007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY

    Re: 2019 Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasYank23 View Post
    Per Brendan Kuty

    James Paxton's fastball averaged 94.2 mph last night, topping out at 96.6 mph. Its average speed has declined in all three of his starts since returning from the IL. (95.11, 94.85, 94.2)
    Good catch. This tells me his knee is bothering him, and maybe he is not recovered enough to pitch every 5th day.

  17. #5842

    Re: 2019 Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Poppingtags View Post
    When you have the best bullpen, you get away with it.
    Except our bullpen has -0.2 wins above average right now. Bullpen, 1B, and DH are the biggest weaknesses surprisingly, though hopefully the DH situation will improve soon. If Voit and LeMahieu play first base more, it will solve that issue too.

  18. #5843
    NYYF Legend

    longtimeyankeefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

    Re: 2019 Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Poppingtags View Post
    FWIW, Corbin now has a 4.01 ERA after giving up 6 runs to the White Sox tonight.

    Edit: Make that 4.11 and 7 runs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppingtags View Post
    It's June 12th. A month ago Paxton was in a stretch of looking very dominant and certainly looked like one of those guys you could use to counter a Verlander or Cole. Tanaka at stretches looks like one of those guys as well.
    I have to wonder if all those posters who continually cite Corbin as someone who should have been signed (I was fine at four years, but not six) have looked at this recent numbers.

    Corbin came out of the gate great for the Nats, but since April 29, he has started 9 games with a 5.13 ERA. In those nine games, he has a seven inning and a complete game zero ER allowed, so in the other seven games, his ERA was 7.46.

    In his last three games, he has allowed 16 ER in 12.2 IP - without even using a calculator, I can tell you that that ERA is north of 11.

    Corbin is not and has never been an ace - he is a pitcher who basically rode his one good season (in his walk year) to a six year contract covering his age 29 to age 34 seasons.

    IMO, the Yankees did well to stay away from him.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

  19. #5844
    NYYF Legend

    NelsonMuntz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Alexandria, VA

    Re: 2019 Regular Season Thread

    I see the poster formerly known as Bill Marsh is back.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

  20. #5845
    NYYF Legend

    NelsonMuntz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Alexandria, VA

    Re: 2019 Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    Finally, someone in the NY media is calling out Cashman's repeated rotation failures. Kudos to Sherman:

    https://nypost.com/2019/06/12/yankee...ter-than-this/
    Good for Sherman. Long overdue.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

  21. #5846
    NYYF Legend

    ymike673's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn,NY

    Re: 2019 Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    I have to wonder if all those posters who continually cite Corbin as someone who should have been signed (I was fine at four years, but not six) have looked at this recent numbers.

    Corbin came out of the gate great for the Nats, but since April 29, he has started 9 games with a 5.13 ERA. In those nine games, he has a seven inning and a complete game zero ER allowed, so in the other seven games, his ERA was 7.46.

    In his last three games, he has allowed 16 ER in 12.2 IP - without even using a calculator, I can tell you that that ERA is north of 11.

    Corbin is not and has never been an ace - he is a pitcher who basically rode his one good season (in his walk year) to a six year contract covering his age 29 to age 34 seasons.

    IMO, the Yankees did well to stay away from him.
    Given the years and cost, passing on Corbin was ok. But when you can get Keuchel for 4 months for 13 million and pass on that it is a terrible move. Given the fragile condition of the Yankees current rotation.

  22. #5847
    Super Moderator matt2351's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Manhattan, NY

    Re: 2019 Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Given the years and cost, passing on Corbin was ok. But when you can get Keuchel for 4 months for 13 million and pass on that it is a terrible move. Given the fragile condition of the Yankees current rotation.
    Especially when you consider that they offered $11mil or $11.5mil, depending on who you choose to believe. This isn't about $13mil, it's about $1.5mil-$2mil.

  23. #5848
    NYYF Triple Crown


    Join Date
    May 2010

    Re: 2019 Regular Season Thread

    @YankeeLiveTweet

    Yankee rotation

    1) Masahiro “allows a 4-run inning every start” Tanaka
    2) James “One Good Start Against the Red Sox” Paxton
    3) Domingo “My Hip Is the Reason I’ve Sucked” German
    4) CC “I get my knee drained every 3 weeks” Sabathia
    5) JA “Would Allow a HR to Tyler Wade” Happ


    i agree with from these tweet from and accurate of status current of Yankees rotation

  24. #5849
    NYYF Legend

    ojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Canada's basement

    Re: 2019 Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by matt2351 View Post
    Especially when you consider that they offered $11mil or $11.5mil, depending on who you choose to believe. This isn't about $13mil, it's about $1.5mil-$2mil.
    They offered that knowing they were going to be outbid.
    "Be a voice, not an echo." - Albert Einstein

  25. #5850
    NYYF Legend

    NelsonMuntz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Alexandria, VA

    Re: 2019 Regular Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    I have to wonder if all those posters who continually cite Corbin as someone who should have been signed (I was fine at four years, but not six) have looked at this recent numbers.

    Corbin came out of the gate great for the Nats, but since April 29, he has started 9 games with a 5.13 ERA. In those nine games, he has a seven inning and a complete game zero ER allowed, so in the other seven games, his ERA was 7.46.

    In his last three games, he has allowed 16 ER in 12.2 IP - without even using a calculator, I can tell you that that ERA is north of 11.

    Corbin is not and has never been an ace - he is a pitcher who basically rode his one good season (in his walk year) to a six year contract covering his age 29 to age 34 seasons.

    IMO, the Yankees did well to stay away from him.
    Corbin's performance to date is irrelevant. When they say "we're focused on pitching" as the reason for passing on Machado and Harper, and then do not make an offer to the best available free agent pitcher, it's fair for fans to bring that up as part of the broader discussion on this organization's failure to address the rotation for the last decade.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 11 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 11 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts