+ Reply to Thread
Page 68 of 104 FirstFirst ... 18 58 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 78 ... LastLast
Results 1,676 to 1,700 of 2596

Re: 2019 Regular Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    Same fans who don't like the Harper signing or the Cano signing. They focus on how terrible the deal would be in the player's later years. They think those terrible contract would hinder Yankees WS chance in those years.

But it seems people forget that those non-signings are hindering their WS chance now.
    Yup.

Not to mention, they could have tried to incentivize opt out after a few years, avoiding the downside of the contract barring an unforeseen injury or precipitous and improbable decline in skill.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Boston managed to lose 8-1 to the Orioles today. Maybe we can beat them tomorrow
    Who is a bigger disappointment so far?

6-9 Yankees with a bunch of injuries and fans upset by not signing key FAs in the off season.
    or
    6-11 Red Sox with AL worst -32 RD who returned most of their 108 win squad but let the back end of the bullpen go.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

The Yankees are by far the bigger disappointment. The Red Sox at least started on a big west coast swing. Regardless, they just got their rings. They can finish out of the playoffs and be less of a disappointment. Yanks need to wake the heck up.
    Goin for 2<strike>7</strike>8!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post

6-9 Yankees with a bunch of injuries and fans upset by not signing key FAs in the off season.
    or
    6-11 Red Sox with AL worst -32 RD who returned most of their 108 win squad but let the back end of the bullpen go.
    Listening to MLB Radio - Yankees are at +10 RD. Even with the injuries, the Yankees offense has been scoring runs.

The problem continues to be the pitching - the bullpen in particular. Of course, if a starter could go 6+, either because they are pitching well enough or Boone allows it, we wouldnít have to rely on the pen so much when they collectively seem to stink.

Some will disagree which is ok, but this is what I believe. Two years ago the Yankees made it to game7 of the ALCS. More importantly with an impressive core of young players and money coming off the books just in time for the historic free agent class of last off season, they were poised to dominate for the next decade. Then inexplicably they made two decisions which IMO has significantly altered their destiny. First the firing of Joe Girardi and his experienced coaching staff (I.e Rob Thompson, Tony Pena) and replacing them with an inexperienced manager and coaching staff. And secondly, the acquisition of Giancarlo Stanton who was a bad fit for a lineup already stacked with right handed hitters with high k rates. Add in the opportunity cost this winter due to his salary and the fact that he will most likely clog the DH spot for years and its a fiasco. At least one person is happy, with GMS, Gene Michael, and Girardi out of the way and an owner (Hal) that's indifferent to winning, Cashman has the complete control he has dreamed about. And he has a ready made puppet (Boone) ready to take the fall if things don't go well.

I cringe when I see Yankee fans make fun of the red sox. They are the CHAMPIONS. they're slander exempt until the new one is crowned at minimum
    Twenty Seven and Counting.

or
    The Yankees because it's the supposedly dependable guys who aren't injured... Tanaka, Paxton, Haap and Britton that are costing the team wins.

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    Same fans who don't like the Harper signing or the Cano signing. They focus on how terrible the deal would be in the player's later years. They think those terrible contract would hinder Yankees WS chance in those years.

But it seems people forget that those non-signings are hindering their WS chance now.
    Or the Same fans who thought Paxton was a TOR pitcher. I'm not concerned what Yankee fans in general think what is terrible or not. I'm only concerned that the FO of the New York Yankees feels the exact same way and that's a problem.

NYYF Triple Crown

or
    Both disappointing and maybe for the first time since 2014 they'll be one representative in the AL East. Too soon, but the other divisions are starting strong. Yanks need to wake up in case they don't have a WC to fall back on.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Portbb View Post
    Both disappointing and maybe for the first time since 2014 they'll be one representative in the AL East. Too soon, but the other divisions are starting strong. Yanks need to wake up in case they don't have a WC to fall back on.
    I would not be quick to count out either based on a slow start.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

or

Easy the Yankees and not due to the fact i am a Yankee fan. Boston started out with Oak Sea etc all away from home. They have yet to lose a home series unlike the yankees who have not won 1 yet.

NYYF Legend

I think it's the Sox, the Yankees have been ravaged by injury while the sox have been overall healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by jeterrules View Post
    Easy the Yankees and not due to the fact i am a Yankee fan. Boston started out with Oak Sea etc all away from home. They have yet to lose a home series unlike the yankees who have not won 1 yet.
    Boston hasn't won a home series either but the Yankees have lost every home series to teams expected to finish at or near the bottom of their respective division.

Quote Originally Posted by Benefactor View Post
    The Yankees because it's the supposedly dependable guys who aren't injured... Tanaka, Paxton, Haap and Britton that are costing the team wins.
    Add in Green Kahnle Ottavino too... all have had their fair share of bad outings that cost a win or 2.

Its not just the injuries.
    The Continuance of Being Great, is Getting Number Twenty-Eight

Anyone worried about this quote:

Through three starts with his new club, Paxton is 1-2 with a 6.00 ERA. In advance of his upcoming start against the Red Sox, Paxton said that he met with a sports psychologist, with whom he has maintained a relationship since his Minor League days. He said that conversation was helpful.

"I think I've been trying to do too much, trying to be better than I am," Paxton said. "I just need to realize that I'm good enough being who I am or who I was in Seattle, and just have my natural progression instead of trying to go out there and be something that I'm not."

Anyone think this could have been a Sonny Gray quote too? Replacing Seattle with Oakland? How many players see sports psychologists?

https://www.mlb.com/news/james-paxto...hes-in-houston
    The Continuance of Being Great, is Getting Number Twenty-Eight

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBombers View Post

Through three starts with his new club, Paxton is 1-2 with a 6.00 ERA. In advance of his upcoming start against the Red Sox, Paxton said that he met with a sports psychologist, with whom he has maintained a relationship since his Minor League days. He said that conversation was helpful.

"I think I've been trying to do too much, trying to be better than I am," Paxton said. "I just need to realize that I'm good enough being who I am or who I was in Seattle, and just have my natural progression instead of trying to go out there and be something that I'm not."

Anyone think this could have been a Sonny Gray quote too? Replacing Seattle with Oakland? How many players see sports psychologists?

Confidence issues and adjusting to the pressures of New York. Not judging, but thatís what it sounds like.

Boston hasn't won a home series either but the Yankees have lost every home series to teams expected to finish at or near the bottom of their respective division.
    they did not lose the series boston did not a split maybe but then again they had what 1 home series? 2?

It's not even close. The Yankees are the bigger disapointment. Red Sox are coming off a World Series. This year doesn't matter near as much in the big scheme of things for the Red Sox.

Of course the Yanks are the bigger disappointment. They are defending champs! They smoked us in the playoffs last year. They have won the division 3 years in a row, and 4 of the last 6. They also have won 2 titles this decade.

What have we done? No division titles since 2012. We havent won or made a WS since 2009. We've also won 1 title since 2000. The Red Sox have 4 and have pretty much dominated us since 2004.

They have alot more slack given due to their success as of late. We have none. We need to win.

I feel as if the Yankees need to add "Can handle NY media/fans/environment" as a box to check before acquiring anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vanderlay View Post
    Some will disagree which is ok, but this is what I believe. Two years ago the Yankees made it to game7 of the ALCS. More importantly with an impressive core of young players and money coming off the books just in time for the historic free agent class of last off season, they were poised to dominate for the next decade. Then inexplicably they made two decisions which IMO has significantly altered their destiny. First the firing of Joe Girardi and his experienced coaching staff (I.e Rob Thompson, Tony Pena) and replacing them with an inexperienced manager and coaching staff. And secondly, the acquisition of Giancarlo Stanton who was a bad fit for a lineup already stacked with right handed hitters with high k rates. Add in the opportunity cost this winter due to his salary and the fact that he will most likely clog the DH spot for years and its a fiasco. At least one person is happy, with GMS, Gene Michael, and Girardi out of the way and an owner (Hal) that's indifferent to winning, Cashman has the complete control he has dreamed about. And he has a ready made puppet (Boone) ready to take the fall if things don't go well.
    Stanton was a reasonable gamble. I donít buy for a minute that they canít afford his contract and other top players. The 2018 revenue estimates just came out. The Yankees are getting closer to taking in a billion dollars a year.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBombers View Post

My biggest concern with this is that it feels like they're already creating the narrative excuse for Paxton's struggles instead of putting some focus where it needs to be on the coaching staff for consistently having pitchers come in and underperform.

Sonny Gray was great in 2017 before Rothschild really started to coach him and he was leveraging the formula he carried over from Oakland. Sure the home/road splits in 2018 look like a NY thing, but its clear that Gray felt the Yankees staff were not giving him good guidance based on the pitches he's had success with they were only telling him to throw what was statically proven (throw sliders early in the count). I'd feel demoralized too. He even got to the point where he started to ignore it and do his own thing and looked better at the end of the year.

Ditto with JA Happ in 2018. With him though I guess its all about command, but doesn't a pitching coach help you figure it out when you've lost your command? He didn't need any coaching in 2018 he was great every time out for us.

No one noticed that Severino was not healthy last year or could explain his struggles instead he just got thrown to the wolves time and again.

Now Paxton.

CC and Tanaka I'd imagine essentially coach themselves.

HIRE A NEW PITCHING COACHING!

NYYF Legend

or
    Red Sox won the series last season. Let down was expected to start the season.

NYYF Legend

This love of Rothschild by the FA might even be worse than their love of Boone. Has there been even one pitcher helped by Larry since he became our pitching coach?

NYYF Legend

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

Let's give Tanaka a break here. He had one bad start.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

Thread Information