+ Reply to Thread
Page 320 of 336 FirstFirst ... 220 270 310 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 330 ... LastLast
Results 7,976 to 8,000 of 8389

Re: 2019 Regular Season Thread

(Lancaster, Pa., July 11, 2019)
    - Major League Baseball (MLB) and the Atlantic League of Professional Baseball (ALPB) announced today four additional experimental playing rules that will be in place during the second half of the 2019 Atlantic League Championship Season. The list of changes is as follows:

• Pitcher is required to step off the rubber in order to attempt a pickoff
    • One (1) foul bunt is permitted with two strikes before a strikeout is called
    • Batters may “steal” first base on any pitch not caught in flight (the batter can be thrown out if he attempts to run)
    • “Check swing” rule made more batter-friendly

These new experimental playing rules will be used along with the current rules and equipment changes that were put in place at the start of the 2019 season. These include:

• Home plate umpire assisted by radar tracking system and an MLB-defined strike zone
    • No mound visits permitted by players or coaches other than pitching changes and medical visits
    • Pitchers must face a minimum of three batters or reach the end of an inning before they can exit the game, unless the pitcher becomes injured
    • Increase size of bases from 15 inches square to 18 inches square
    • Time between innings and pitching changes reduced from 2:05 to 1:45

A lot of these rules seem to oriented towards making the game more about running, giving more advantages to speedsters and basestealers, etc. Makes sense. Base running is probably one of the most exciting parts of the game.

The no-mound visit thing sounds kind of harsh though. If a catcher and a pitcher are getting crossed up, they're supposed to just keep going?
    "My guys are savages in the box!" - Aaron Boone

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    Where is baseball? This is brutal. This no baseball crap.
    I actually don't mind the break. A mini vacation from baseball in the middle of a long season.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

The no baseball thing is driving me nuts. About the only good thing is that it's four days for injured guys to heal without missing any games.

Sounds like Voit will be back very soon, so I'm wondering if there is any reason to feel more optimistic about Stanton. Severino and Betances still seem very far away, and I haven't heard anything about Montgomery (remember him?) in months.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    The no baseball thing is driving me nuts. About the only good thing is that it's four days for injured guys to heal without missing any games.

Sounds like Voit will be back very soon, so I'm wondering if there is any reason to feel more optimistic about Stanton. Severino and Betances still seem very far away, and I haven't heard anything about Montgomery (remember him?) in months.

Montgomery had a setback a couple of weeks ago:
    https://www.nj.com/yankees/2019/06/h...ys-season.html

Quote Originally Posted by SatchelPaigeYankee View Post
    Montgomery had a setback a couple of weeks ago:
    https://www.nj.com/yankees/2019/06/h...ys-season.html
    Thanks. So despite that headline, it sounds like he could still make it back before the end of the season.

NYYF Legend

Yankees last home series was against Toronto. Now coming home to play Toronto again. Last time this happened was in 1966. Yankees played a 4 game series against the White Sox from June 24-26. Then Yankees went on a road trip and returned to play the White Sox again on July 4th.

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Yankees last home series was against Toronto. Now coming home to play Toronto again. Last time this happened was in 1966. Yankees played a 4 game series against the White Sox from June 24-26. Then Yankees went on a road trip and returned to play the White Sox again on July 4th.
    Ladies and gentlemen, the EvanJ of season ticket holders.

Thanks. So despite that headline, it sounds like he could still make it back before the end of the season.
    Very unlikely. At least not in enough time that he can really do anything of significance. They’ll probably keep him in a controlled environment unless everything goes absolutely perfectly from here and they can get him in a game or two in September. Safe assumption is 2020 and with a good offseason hopefully he comes back strong and ready to go.

The pick off thing won’t work, pitchers will just constantly step off.

You might as well let them steal first any time, not just on balls not caught.

I’d say you should you should be allowed to steal first or third from home.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    I actually don't mind the break. A mini vacation from baseball in the middle of a long season.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Calls a tool a tool

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Did Wilbur Wood pitch all 7 games?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    Where is baseball? This is brutal. This no baseball crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by BabyBombers View Post
    Feels like hell... Mid summer. No sports. I guess there is the first round of John Deere Classic
    The no baseball thing is driving me nuts.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    Did Wilbur Wood pitch all 7 games?
    Wood did not join the White Sox until 1967.

Calls a tool a tool

Quote Originally Posted by Mixwell View Post
    If you're thinking about supporting the "stealing first" rule, just know that with that comes a 3 year contract extension to Brett Gardner. Metrics and stuff.

And maybe resurrecting the corpse of Bubba Crosby.

Calls a tool a tool

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees61 View Post
    One of the new rule proposals:
    Pitcher is required to step off the rubber in order to attempt a pickoff

I like this one. It is actually closer to the official rules ("deceiving runners") than what is allowed now.

So basically every walk or single becomes a double.

Calls a tool a tool

[B][/LIST]

A lot of these rules seem to oriented towards making the game more about running, giving more advantages to speedsters and basestealers, etc. Makes sense. Base running is probably one of the most exciting parts of the game.

The no-mound visit thing sounds kind of harsh though. If a catcher and a pitcher are getting crossed up, they're supposed to just keep going?

Nothing about baserunners getting to wear longer shoes with coil springs in the heels?

NYYF Triple Crown

@BryanHoch

Luis Severino will be re-examined on Saturday in hopes of resuming his throwing program, Brian Cashman told @MLBNetworkRadio.

Cashman said he expects Severino will need “six or more” weeks to be ready. However, he could be a 75-pitch starter or even used out of the bullpen.

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    Not a vacation. The Yankees and MLB are resting the fans just like the Yanks resting their players so that the fans are ready for the stretch run and hopefully a long run in the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    Nothing about baserunners getting to wear longer shoes with coil springs in the heels?

Honestly my gut is to be against virtually all rule changes. Changing the foul-bunt rule seems absurd. I'm also against robot umps; I think they should just fire the worst umps (and use the tech to assess who are the worst). I think ultimately the players consistently show themselves able to adapt; changing the rules to restore certain kinds of competitive balance disallows them to opportunity to.

For example, more and more players just in the last year or so have been successfully learning to beat the shift, with even big HR hitters using the bunt to get on. I think that makes the game more interesting and engaging than trying to keep the offense looking the same by banning the shift.

Yankees your 27 time WS Champs MyBoysKaosHavoK's Avatar

Ok so who gets rested tonight?....
    In the Land of the Blind. The One Eyed Man is King...…
    "Yankees are now a Fully Operational Dollar Store"

Honestly my gut is to be against virtually all rule changes. Changing the foul-bunt rule seems absurd. I'm also against robot umps; I think they should just fire the worst umps (and use the tech to assess who are the worst). I think ultimately the players consistently show themselves able to adapt; changing the rules to restore certain kinds of competitive balance disallows them to opportunity to.

For example, more and more players just in the last year or so have been successfully learning to beat the shift, with even big HR hitters using the bunt to get on. I think that makes the game more interesting and engaging than trying to keep the offense looking the same by banning the shift.
    The shift is just a strategy just like playing 5 in the infield with 2 outfielders. It's perfectly fine within the context of the rules set forth, and I also feel that banning a strategy is pretty lame.

Robot umps, however, aren't a rule change, but, rather, a change to enforce rules already set in place. Much like the hawk-eye in tennis, this would limit the amount of influence an umpire has on a game. I'm all for that, as well as having the DH available for both leagues.

He wont be a factor until 2020 anyway. Would be crazy to just throw him right into the heat of a pennant race in September after being out for a year+

Calls a tool a tool

Honestly my gut is to be against virtually all rule changes.

Would you be against outfielders using these to rob HR's?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzJZUcVJ1zo

1. 1B DJ LeMahieu (R)
    2. RF Aaron Judge (R)
    3. CF Aaron Hicks (S)
    4. C Gary Sanchez (R)
    5. DH Edwin Encarnacion (R)
    6. SS Didi Gregorius (L)
    7. 2B Gleyber Torres (R)
    8. 3B Giovanny Urshela (R)
    9. LF Brett Gardner (L)

NYYF Triple Crown