+ Reply to Thread
Page 108 of 108 FirstFirst ... 8 58 98 105 106 107 108
Results 2,676 to 2,696 of 2696

Re: 2019 Regular Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Rob035 View Post
    As long as we gave up nothing, I have no problem with it. He can play all 3 OF positions and won't be a complete hole in the lineup.

I'm a little surprised Cleveland traded away an OFer as their MLB OF has combined for a horrendous .220/.301/.323 slash line so far.
    cash considerations

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    He's terrible. We just got worse.
    He isn't good, but he's at least slightly above replacement level. The other options are worse.

I wouldn't want to trade for anyone who'd cost a legit prospect with Stanton, Hicks, Frazier, and Judge returning at some point.

And signing a FA cold off the street like Span would not help the immediate need to get someone on the roster this week.

NYYF Legend

Holder might be the more wise choice.
    I agree but much like with Green, Boone still trusts Holder. Tarpley will be the one that goes back down.

Quote Originally Posted by scine20 View Post
    I can't stand Sanchez. I think he's highly overrated and should have been traded. His baseball IQ is so low it makes Starlin Castro's seem high. I know he hits a lot of homer runs. Fine, DH him.

I also don't think it's a coincidence that the pitching was mostly terrific as soon as he went out.

What you've been seeing from the Yankees is something you don't see when guys like Sanchez and Stanton are healthy. Situational, two out hitting. Move runners along. When you need a run don't try to hit a home run. Just hit the sac fly.
    CC has raved about Sanchez and how much he enjoys having him catch. I honestly don't know if I've seen a homegrown Yankee who has performed so well (2018 sucked, no denying that) get as much criticism as Sanchez.

Edit: not just here either. Its everywhere. Facebook, Twitter, Reddit etc.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by spanky185 View Post
    Then the converse must also be true, Boone is due very little blame when the players fail to perform.
    ...but it's not. It's long been said a manager can't do that much to add wins, but he can add losses by bonehead moves. Yes, it's not his fault when players don't perform, unless there was a more logical choice of player to place in that situation with a higher probability of success.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Is he worse than Wade?
    While Wade has a slight chance of having some upside, Maybin has none.
    Do not fear, all we want to do is talk.

Only words, and then your thoughts.

I'd rather have the current guys than Maybin.

Maybin's upside is that he can be immediately discarded if any of our outfielders ever get healthy.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

NYYF Legend

Maybin has a better chance of not making every fly ball look like an adventure. He's also used to striking out so he won't go back to the dugout looking like the umpire just kicked his dog when he get's rung up.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    ...but it's not. It's long been said a manager can't do that much to add wins, but he can add losses by bonehead moves. Yes, it's not his fault when players don't perform, unless there was a more logical choice of player to place in that situation with a higher probability of success.
    Especially with regards to the pen, the philosophy is clearly on the long game. Essentially we're seeing the anti Joe Torre bullpen usage so no one gets Scott Proctor'd. So everyone needs to perform to keep everyone else fresh. With the 3 batter minimum next year, we're going to see this type of management around the league more and more.
    Assistant to the Manager
    Analytical Department of Analytics

Is he worse than Wade?
    Maybin, maybin not.

NYYF Legend

Maybin has a better chance of not making every fly ball look like an adventure. He's also used to striking out so he won't go back to the dugout looking like the umpire just kicked his dog when he get's rung up.
    Remember this:

https://nypost.com/2017/10/17/astros...fly-ball-miss/

NYYF Legend

No but over a fairly sizable sample Maybin has shown himself to be a reasonably competent defender at multiple OF positions.

Wade doesn't have a credible sample size but but the eye test and UZR/150 see him as infielder trying to learn the OF on the fly at the MLB level and not doing a very good job at it.
    Baseball is life;

Quote Originally Posted by Poppingtags View Post
    CC has raved about Sanchez and how much he enjoys having him catch. I honestly don't know if I've seen a homegrown Yankee who has performed so well (2018 sucked, no denying that) get as much criticism as Sanchez.

Edit: not just here either. Its everywhere. Facebook, Twitter, Reddit etc.
    My opinion isn't influenced by whatever is said elsewhere. I just don't like the guy as a player. The catcher position is about managing the pitching staff and if you can hit fine. But he doesn't do the most important job that a catcher has to do.

I wonder if the Marlins would have taken him straight up for Realmuto?

Quote Originally Posted by spanky185 View Post
    Then the converse must also be true, Boone is due very little blame when the players fail to perform.
    Yes, but if he's using the wrong players in the wrong spots than yes. And I'm not talking about from a hindsight perspective (i.e. the right reliever just blew it, etc.). Talent is far bigger driver of wins than management especially when analytics drives a lot of the decisions.

NYYF Legend

No but over a fairly sizable sample Maybin has shown himself to be a reasonably competent defender at multiple OF positions.

Wade doesn't have a credible sample size but but the eye test and UZR/150 see him as infielder trying to learn the OF on the fly at the MLB level and not doing a very good job at it.
    We shall see if he does ever play here. I believe we will all be disappointed in him when they let him go.

This. I can't recall that I've seen an OF ever be so slow to read and come in on fly balls. And Wade is not slow at all, he just has horrible reads for anything in front of him and also plays pretty deep.

NYYF Legend

We shall see if he does ever play here. I believe we will all be disappointed in him when they let him go.
    I'm pretty sure he'll disappoint too. But I believe it would also be the first off day for Gardner this year.
    When they DFA Maybin if/when outfielders return from the DL, I'm sure no one on this board will lose any sleep.
    Baseball is life;

Will Maybin be in Anaheim in time for the game tonight?
    Let the kids play.

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    Will Maybin be in Anaheim in time for the game tonight?
    I'm trying to decide if that's a good thing or not.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    I'm trying to decide if that's a good thing or not.
    It's like, whew, his flight was delayed.

Thread Information