+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 40 FirstFirst ... 11 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 31 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: 2019 Brain Cashman Performance Thread

If you think Keuchel is good, Cashman has made a poor decision. If you think Keuchel is bad, it shouldn't make you feel good about Cashman's decision either as even $11.5M is way too much. It doesn't make him looks smart by passing Keuchel because 'he only worths $11.5M but not $13M'. Cashman wanted him. He even said that he would want to have Boras calling back. He messed up and I don't know how people could think it another way.

If people want to defend and praise Cashman, Keuchel shouldn't be the case. You could easily pick other player, like Harper.

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    If you think Keuchel is good, Cashman has made a poor decision. If you think Keuchel is bad, it shouldn't make you feel good about Cashman's decision either as even $11.5M is way too much. It doesn't make him looks smart by passing Keuchel because 'he only worths $11.5M but not $13M'. Cashman wanted him. He even said that he would want to have Boras calling back. He messed up and I don't know how people could think it another way.

If people want to defend and praise Cashman, Keuchel shouldn't be the case. You could easily pick other player, like Harper.
    Let's be glad for our sake he did swing and miss with Keuchel. If he was occupying a rotation spot right now with how poorly he's pitched. Posters would be beside themselves.

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    Not one of those instances has anything to do with the fact Cashman was outbid by Anthopolous. And if he pitches to a 6 ERA, how was it a wise decision to only offer 11.5 million, when the winning bid was $13m? Point being: you can’t judge these decisions after the fact. Not when he made sense at $11.5 million, anyway.

And Tauchman kicking butt doesn’t “prove Cashman right.” It’s a credit to Tauchman to excel at the big league level as much as it was a decision by Cashman that Frazier needed to be in the Minors to learn to play better defense.

To hammer home my point here: if Tauchman stunk these past couple months, wouldn’t have changed the fact it was the right decision to send Frazier to the minors to work on his defense.
    If you ignore the results when evaluating the GM (and a lot of people say this but it drives me nuts) then there just is no way to resolve disagreements among fans. There’s really nothing to discuss. Everyone just repeats for months the view they had when an acquisition was (or wasn’t) made. The results are the only new information to add to a discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    I don't follow. Keuchel wasn't asking for and didn't receive a commitment for 4 years. He got half a year.

But the point is the Yankees DIDN'T have a different opinion. They had the same opinion, offered him a contract, but didn't want to go the extra mile/$2MM (pro-rated) to secure a low risk, high reward .5 year contract.
    Maybe they offered that knowing that it would be beaten but wanting to look like they at least tried. In the end, the GM gets evaluated by the acquisitions that do go through, not the offers that were rejected anyway.

NYYF Legend

Tough couple of weeks for Brain.

1) No additions at the deadline (SP or RP).
    2) Jeep gets stolen.
    3) Gets Jeep back.
    4) Gets pulled over at gunpoint by police for driving a stolen jeep. His jeep.
    5) Drives a Jeep.
    In "Kids in the Hall" I trust

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    Tough couple of weeks for Brain.

1) No additions at the deadline (SP or RP).
    2) Jeep gets stolen.
    3) Gets Jeep back.
    4) Gets pulled over at gunpoint by police for driving a stolen jeep. His jeep.
    5) Drives a Jeep.
    Jeepers Creepers
    Standings: Big Inning 32-16; Blue Cut 27-21; Shoo Fly 26-22; Husk 22-26; Frank Pierce 21-27; Iowa City 16-32.

NYYF Legend

LeMahieu: 140 wRC+, 4.4 WAR
    Urshela: 149 wRC+, 3.0 WAR
    Machado: 112 wRC+, 2.6 WAR

The early returns on this huge point of emphasis from last winter are nothing short of astonishing. I don't know how they do it, but they do.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Bonn1997 View Post
    Maybe they offered that knowing that it would be beaten but wanting to look like they at least tried. In the end, the GM gets evaluated by the acquisitions that do go through, not the offers that were rejected anyway.
    Ask Braves GM Alex A about how Keuchel is working out. Any buyer's remorse, AA?!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by YanksBeatBraves1996 View Post
    Ask Braves GM Alex A about how Keuchel is working out. Any buyer's remorse, AA?!
    Doubt it. Yeah, he’s got a 4.83 ERA in 10 starts, but he’s giving them 6 IP a start. That is an acceptable baseline.
    "Be a voice, not an echo." - Albert Einstein

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Doubt it. Yeah, he’s got a 4.83 ERA in 10 starts, but he’s giving them 6 IP a start. That is an acceptable baseline.
    So, you are OK with paying $15M (pro-rated) for an acceptable baseline?

To me, the question is, and always was, would Keuchle be better than what we already have. Given his performance in 10 starts, my response is still NO, which it was before he signed with Atlanta. Effectively, he would have replaced our opener approach, and we are 10-1 using the opener.

I would also add that his ERA in the AL would almost certainly be above 5.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Then he's giving them a good chance to lose 6 innings at a time, big whoop.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by nnysiny View Post
    Then he's giving them a good chance to lose 6 innings at a time, big whoop.
    He got rocked the other day.

I can’t do your math for you, but a guy who will pitch to a 4 ERA at 6+ innings a start has immense value to a pitching staff.

He got rocked the other day.

I can’t do your math for you, but a guy who will pitch to a 4 ERA at 6+ innings a start has immense value to a pitching staff.
    3 runs in 6IP is a quality start, which works out to a 4.50 ERA
    Assistant to the Manager
    Analytical Department of Analytics

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by spanky185 View Post
    3 runs in 6IP is a quality start, which works out to a 4.50 ERA
    Good point. For the record, his ERA before this past start (where he got lit up to the tune of 8 ER in 3.2 IP) was 3.86.

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    LeMahieu: 140 wRC+, 4.4 WAR
    Urshela: 149 wRC+, 3.0 WAR
    Machado: 112 wRC+, 2.6 WAR

The early returns on this huge point of emphasis from last winter are nothing short of astonishing. I don't know how they do it, but they do.
    How does Tauchman and Gardner stack up against Harper?
    Let the kids play.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    How does Tauchman and Gardner stack up against Harper?
    per B-R (fangraphs might be different)

Gardner 17 HR, 118 OPS+, 3.5 WAR, $9.5M
    Tauchman 12 HR, 146 OPS+, 3.2 WAR, $0.5M

Harper 22HR, 116 OPS+, 1.8 WAR, $11.5M*
    *but 12 more years with an average of ~$26M per
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

The Death Star is Sputtering Zimmer's Helmet's Avatar

Keuchel has been quite solid for the Braves and certainly could have helped the Yankees.
    He had one very bad start on August 8 that spiked his ERA. Check his game logs.

But yeah, some will spin it as though Cashman dodged a bullet - as if Happ and Sabathia are better options. The Kool Aid is strong.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    Keuchel ...
    I wanted him too. Could have helped solidify the back end of the rotation and give innings at worst, possible front line starter at best and only for money and short term deal.

That said whether of not the Yanks did well to "not get him" will be determined 100% by hindsight at the end of the season.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    I wanted him too. Could have helped solidify the back end of the rotation and give innings at worst, possible front line starter at best and only for money and short term deal.

That said whether of not the Yanks did well to "not get him" will be determined 100% by hindsight at the end of the season.
    The back end of the rotation doesn’t need to be solidified. With the back end as it is today, the Yankees have the best record in baseball.

The whole point in getting would have been to upgrade the rotation for the postseason. With the way he’s been pitching, he doesn’t represent an upgrade and I doubt he’d be included in the postseason rotation.

The Death Star is Sputtering Zimmer's Helmet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BillyJack View Post
    The back end of the rotation doesn’t need to be solidified. With the back end as it is today, the Yankees have the best record in baseball.

The whole point in getting would have been to upgrade the rotation for the postseason. With the way he’s been pitching, he doesn’t represent an upgrade and I doubt he’d be included in the postseason rotation.
    You need 4 starters in the post-season.
    No manager in his right mind would choose Happ and Sabathia ahead of Keuchel....
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    You need 4 starters in the post-season.
    No manager in his right mind would choose Happ and Sabathia ahead of Keuchel....
    I'm hoping it's Severino, Paxton, German and Tanaka.
    Let the kids play.

Exactly.

Three reliable starters will suffice in the playoffs unless they play three games in a row which would be rare.

My preferred order would be: German, Tanaka and Paxton with a relievers setup of Sevy, Green, and Cortes if required. Kahnle, Ottavino, Betances, Britton and Chapman will be heavily relied upon!

Bingo.

I was going over the Yankees roster with my son and while it's unlikely everyone will be healthy, the thought experiment of who makes the playoff roster if everyone is healthy is pretty tricky.

I think the following 19 players are a given:
    Rotation: Severino, Paxton, German, Tanaka (order not important)
    Bullpen: Chapman, Britton, Betances, Ottavino, Kahnle, Green
    Catchers: Sanchez, Romine
    Infield: LeMahieu, Torres, Gregorius, Urshela
    Outfield: Judge, Hicks, Gardner

That's 10 pitchers and 9 position players. (I intentionally left off the DH for now.) That means you have to select six players from the following list:
    Stanton
    Encarnacion
    Voit
    Estrada
    Tauchman
    Maybin
    Frazier (ha!)
    Happ
    Sabathia
    Loaisiga
    Hale
    Holder
    Tarpley
    Cessa
    (all other pitchers that have been up and down)

Injuries might settle the question in a few cases, but otherwise there will be some difficult cuts.
    Last edited by sweet_lou_14; 08-14-19 at 08:13 AM.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Thread Information