+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 15 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast

Re: 2019 Brain Cashman Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    The reporting at the time (from Klapisch) indicated that the decision to pass was based on Cashman being concerned about Machado being a bad clubhouse influence on Torres and Sanchez, and a threat to Boone’s leadership. Supposedly it had nothing to do with the “value”.
    Attitude has nothing to do with value?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bonn1997 View Post
    Attitude has nothing to do with value?
    Didn’t the KiTH want Machado, though? So apparently the analytics guys saw all the value they needed to, despite any concerns about attitude.
    "Be a voice, not an echo." - Albert Einstein

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    apparently the analytics guys saw all the value they needed to, despite any concerns about attitude.
    IMO this is the problem with placing too much emphasis on stats - especially when it comes to long term, costly commitments. The analytics team is charged with only looking at players from a statistical point of view. They can and will only recommend.

Ownership, based on Cashman's recommendations, ultimately makes these types of decisions.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

NYYF Legend

Didn’t the KiTH want Machado, though? So apparently the analytics guys saw all the value they needed to, despite any concerns about attitude.
    Yes. Again, with the caveat that we believe Klapisch’s reporting, the analytics department wanted to sign Machado. Cashman overruled them due to the aforementioned “attitude concerns”.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Yes. Again, with the caveat that we believe Klapisch’s reporting, the analytics department wanted to sign Machado. Cashman overruled them due to the aforementioned “attitude concerns”.
    The guy I get mad about every time I see his stupid mug on TV is Justin Verlander.

He should’ve been a Yankee. Roger Clemens redux.

A guy who will go 7 innings strong and not have it be referred to as “wow, that was one of his better starts in the past few seasons.”
    "Be a voice, not an echo." - Albert Einstein

NYYF Legend

The guy I get mad about every time I see his stupid mug on TV is Justin Verlander.

A guy who will go 7 innings strong and not have it be referred to as “wow, that was one of his better starts in the past few seasons.”
    I hear you. Still sticks in my craw as well.

Related to postseason rotation - we should be able to rely on three starters, with a 4th starter playing a lesser role. Right now, my leading candidates for the top three are: Severino, Paxton (I still believe he's elite or near elite), and German. Prime candidates for the 4th position are: Tanaka (leading candidate), Happ (I'm pessimistic but he could get hot), CC (was great last year in postseason), bullpen game (we have sufficient bullpen depth that we could do this without sacrificing the bullpen in other games). Longshot candidates are:. Mike King, Loaisiaga, Montgomery (probably as part of a bullpen game), Deivi Garcia, ....

That's really good in my opinion (admittedly, there's certainly a lot of risk there as there usually is with pitching) and I'm not sure if Keuchel or any of the pitchers moved at the deadline would be a clear cut upgrade on the top 3 or 4 pitchers. I like that we held on to our assets.

With a strong bullpen and lineup (at least in theory), we are well set up for the postseason. We've also managed to almost certainly win the division which is the key controllable thing we can do to enhance odds of a post season win (since once the postseason starts, the winner is heavily influenced by chance)

So, you would start Sevy in Game 1, someone who hasn't pitched one inning of big league ball so far this season? Also, someone whose ERA in post-season play is north of 4.20.

Paxton habitually surrenders runs in the first inning causing the offense to play catch-up ball.

Quote Originally Posted by YanksBeatBraves1996 View Post
    So, you would start Sevy in Game 1, someone who hasn't pitched one inning of big league ball so far this season? Also, someone whose ERA in post-season play is north of 4.20.
    Why wouldn’t you pitch Sevvy? He should have a month of big league ball under his belt by October. Whether or not he's Pitched any major league games on by August 17 is irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by YanksBeatBraves1996 View Post

Paxton habitually surrenders runs in the first inning causing the offense to play catch-up ball.
    North of 4.20? You mean 6.20.

Yankees your 27 time WS Champs MyBoysKaosHavoK's Avatar

Yep. Yankees would have won it all two years ago for sure....
    In the Land of the Blind. The One Eyed Man is King...…
    "Yankees are now a Fully Operational Dollar Store"

The Yankees led the Astros 3 games to 2 in that 2017 ALCS and Verlander and company took the last two games in Houston.

That loss was as painful as the John Stark missing a last second game winning shot in Game 6 against the Rockets and then also losing Game 7 in Houston and the 1973 Rusty Staub Mets losing Games 6 and 7 against Dick Williams' A's.

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

I know it's a dead horse, but how on earth do you pass on Keuchel with the rotation you have here? Not only "just money" but it's only half of the money since it's pro-rated!
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes View Post
    I know it's a dead horse, but how on earth do you pass on Keuchel with the rotation you have here? Not only "just money" but it's only half of the money since it's pro-rated!
    I will never understand it. And then to do absolutely nothing at the trade deadline...as I noted in another thread, Tanner Roark has a 2.55 ERA since being traded to Oakland. He's probably not a factor in the postseason but the starts that are going to CC and Happ right now could end up costing us HFA against the Astros.

The Death Star is Sputtering Zimmer's Helmet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes View Post
    Don’t get me started again...
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

I don't want to wish my life away or the season, but I am interested in seeing what moves he pulls off next year. Going to be hard to top the last two.

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Voit Fan View Post
    I don't want to wish my life away or the season, but I am interested in seeing what moves he pulls off next year. Going to be hard to top the last two.
    If they aren't all in on Gerrit Cole, something is seriously wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by YFIB View Post
    They could make a trade too with the chips they have in the minors......

Isn't Ryu a FA after this season?

NYYF Legend

They will be all in on Cole until he wants 6 years. Then just like with Cirbin Cashman will back down.

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    They will be all in on Cole until he wants 6 years. Then just like with Cirbin Cashman will back down.
    There was more uncertainty around Corbin, though. Assuming Cole isn't subject to a Durant-style injury, or (to LVF's post) they don't make a surprise trade for a TOR guy, this is the most obvious FA signing for them in quite a long time. (Yes, even more than the Machado/Harper summer, because the rotation is clearly the team's weakness).

NYYF Legend

My sentiments exactly.

Houston will have first shot at him, right? Linked below is a fascinating look at Cole, who will be 29 in a few weeks, his experience in Houston, and what the FA market looks like for him. He could command something north of $200 million for who knows how many years.

Cole is the only member of Houston’s rotation who is under 30. Greinke turns 36 during the playoffs and Verlander will be 37 next year. The Astros will probably be desperate to sign Cole.

Spoiler Alert: here comes the big BUT

But, his agent is Scott Boras.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...200m-price-tag

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by BillyJack View Post
    Houston will have first shot at him, right? Linked below is a fascinating look at Cole, who will be 29 in a few weeks, his experience in Houston, and what the FA market looks like for him. He could command something north of $200 million for who knows how many years.

Cole is the only member of Houston’s rotation who is under 30. Greinke turns 36 during the playoffs and Verlander will be 37 next year. The Astros will probably be desperate to sign Cole.

Spoiler Alert: here comes the big BUT

But, his agent is Scott Boras.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...200m-price-tag
    There's been a lot written about how it will be hard for the Astros to pay his contract next year with their other big salaries. Of course, anything is possible, and he could also pull a Maddux/Ohtani and just decide he'd rather play somewhere else.

But my point is the Yankees should be competitive for him and not be outbid. If he decides he wants to go somewhere else, that happens. But they shouldn't come in second in terms of the contract offer.

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Price signed for 6 years when he was 30. Greinke signed for 6 years when he was 32. Verlander signed for 7 years when he was 30.

Cole is going to want at least 7 years. Maybe more. It’s going to be a long winter.

There's been a lot written about how it will be hard for the Astros to pay his contract next year with their other big salaries. Of course, anything is possible, and he could also pull a Maddux/Ohtani and just decide he'd rather play somewhere else.

But my point is the Yankees should be competitive for him and not be outbid. If he decides he wants to go somewhere else, that happens. But they shouldn't come in second in terms of the contract offer.
    Wouldn’t that depend on how they structure the contract?

They only have 2 years left with Verlander and Greinke.

Thread Information