+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 29 1 2 3 4 11 ... LastLast

2019 Brain Cashman Performance Thread

This excerpt from an upcoming book about the Yankee front office should get this thread off to a good start whether positive or negative towards Cashman.

https://nypost.com/2019/03/20/inside...stanton-heist/

https://www.hmhbooks.com/shop/books/.../9781328589354
    Last edited by Yankees1962; 03-20-19 at 07:23 PM.

Re: 2019 Brain Cashman Performance Thread

I remembered that last Jeter negotiation as Cashman played the bad cop role. I supported him on this forum during those negotiations as some posters didn't like how Cashman was treating Jeter. Cashman is one cold blooded dude, the kind of guy you want as your GM. Interesting that Hank is still involved in the decision-making process with the Yankees.

NYYF Legend

Is the typo in the title intentional?

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    Is the typo in the title intentional?
    Does a hot dob have mustard?

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    Can you repair as my senility has come through again.
    Cashman: Death Star Fully Operational

NYYF Legend

Would Aaron Boone be Pinkie?
    Just win!

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    Can you repair as my senility has come through again.
    Well, technically, I could. But I kinda like it, so I'm leaning toward leaving it alone.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    How about a hot dob with a brain?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xg8aqu9HL_o
    Let the kids play.

Was surprised how candid Cashman was in that interview in terms of his interactions with Jeter both as a player and as an owner. Jeter doesn't really come out looking good from the lens of this article. While it's interesting to know, might be wiser for Cashman to just shut his trap about a Yankee legend and a part-owner of a team he might want to do business with again in the future. What is the upside of those comments?

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    Was surprised how candid Cashman was in that interview in terms of his interactions with Jeter both as a player and as an owner. Jeter doesn't really come out looking good from the lens of this article. While it's interesting to know, might be wiser for Cashman to just shut his trap about a Yankee legend and a part-owner of a team he might want to do business with again in the future. What is the upside of those comments?
    That was an excerpt from a book that is getting ready to come out in which the writers spent a year with the Yankee front office. I'm sure a whole bunch of other stuff is going to be laid out in this book besides stuff involving Jeter.

A riveting look at what is really said and done behind closed doors with the New York Yankees, the most famous and wealthiest sports franchise in the world

Using the 2018 baseball season as the backdrop, Inside the Empire gives readers the real, unvarnished “straight-from-the-gut” truth from Brian Cashman, Aaron Boone, Giancarlo Stanton, C.C. Sabathia—even Hal Steinbrenner and Randy Levine—and many more.

This is baseball’s version of HBO’s award-winning NFL series “Hard Knocks.” Klapisch and Solotaroff take you deep into the Yankees clubhouse, their dugout, and the front office and pull back the curtain so that every fan can see what really goes on.

Bottom line? You may think you know everything about the storied franchise of the New York Yankees and what makes them tick. But Inside the Empire will set the record straight, and drop bombshells about iconic figures along the way. There’s never been a baseball book quite like it.

https://www.hmhbooks.com/shop/books/.../9781328589354

Hope is eternal

That was an excerpt from a book that is getting ready to come out in which the writers spent a year with the Yankee front office. I'm sure a whole bunch of other stuff is going to be laid out in this book besides stuff involving Jeter.

[/B]
    https://www.amazon.com/Inside-Empire.../dp/1328589358
    When I heard a lot this book in January I immediately preordered it. One week to go. I am in the early part of “The Arm” by Jeff Passan but think that may be put away
    The sky is falling! We are doomed!

I'm not a big fan of Jeter for a host of reasons, but Cashman comes across as petty and small in that interview and no different than Jeter in the ego department. Not to mention unwise, as as this will definitely affect future business dealings. Jeter is notorious for holding grudges.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    When I heard a lot this book in January I immediately preordered it. One week to go. I am in the early part of “The Arm” by Jeff Passan but think that may be put away
    By all means, never mind "The Arm" ... Read "The Brain"!

Quote Originally Posted by luis pecorino View Post
    I'm not a big fan of Jeter for a host of reasons, but Cashman comes across as petty and small in that interview and no different than Jeter in the ego department. Not to mention unwise, as as this will definitely affect future business dealings. Jeter is notorious for holding grudges.
    You don't think Cashman knows that about him. If the Yankees are going to fully cooperate with the writers of this book about the internal workings of the Yankee organization then they need to allow them access to almost everything including stuff they got wrong as I expect some of Cashman's or Hal's mistakes to be discussed in this book as every owner and GM makes mistakes so both of those guys will be shown in a negative light about something. The Ellsbury signing for one will probably be discussed and we know how well that has turned out for Cashman and Hal. Also, it's not a state secret that Jeter and Cashman don't get along and it was widely reported and talked about on this forum during Jeter's last contract negotiations with the Yankees. Furthermore, it's been reported quite extensively that once you're on Jeter's "crap" list, he doesn't forgive or forget so you're always on that list. Cashman knows that and has accepted that outcome, but business is business which is why Jeter traded Stanton to the Yankees because he had nowhere else to go as he screwed up the Stanton situation. Stanton's comments about Jeter are more damning than anything Cashman said about him.

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    How about a hot dob with a brain?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xg8aqu9HL_o
    I'm also leaning towards leaving it, but ironically.

I had the same reaction.

Cashman comes off at times as an odd mix of confidence bordering on arrogance mixed with some level of insecurity.

To be a longstanding and successful GM of the Yankees, and to be a legendary shortstop for the Yankees, requires at least a touch of arrogance and tunnel vision. So that neither man is all the time humble and pleasant is hardly a surprise...

But if we consider Cashman to be calculating and to a fair degree cold blooded (which I believe he is and I also believe he wants to be seen as), contributing a degree dirty laundry concerning Jeter is inconsistent with those traits.

Jeter is hardly the first superstar athlete on the decline to overrate his abilities...and Cashman is hardly the first GM to take a hard line with said athlete. What's newsworthy isn't that the negotiations from nearly a decade ago turned tense. What's newsworthy is that Cashman still apparently feels the need to expose them...particularly given, as you point out, Jeter's standing as a potential trade partner now and for years to come.

How exposing this now...and perhaps exposing Jeter's missteps as a rookie owner...could in any way help the Yankees in 2019 and beyond is lost on me.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan1421 View Post
    I had the same reaction.

Cashman comes off at times as an odd mix of confidence bordering on arrogance mixed with some level of insecurity.

To be a longstanding and successful GM of the Yankees, and to be a legendary shortstop for the Yankees, requires at least a touch of arrogance and tunnel vision. So that neither man is all the time humble and pleasant is hardly a surprise...

But if we consider Cashman to be calculating and to a fair degree cold blooded (which I believe he is and I also believe he wants to be seen as), contributing a degree dirty laundry concerning Jeter is inconsistent with those traits.

Jeter is hardly the first superstar athlete on the decline to overrate his abilities...and Cashman is hardly the first GM to take a hard line with said athlete. What's newsworthy isn't that the negotiations from nearly a decade ago turned tense. What's newsworthy is that Cashman still apparently feels the need to expose them...particularly given, as you point out, Jeter's standing as a potential trade partner now and for years to come.

How exposing this now...and perhaps exposing Jeter's missteps as a rookie owner...could in any way help the Yankees in 2019 and beyond is lost on me.
    Verducci wrote a tell-all book with Torre and hell broke loose with folks calling Torre a backstabber. Cashman has a tell-all and I haven't heard much blow back towards him.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    Verducci wrote a tell-all book with Torre and hell broke loose with folks calling Torre a backstabber. Cashman has a tell-all and I haven't heard much blow back towards him.
    Because it's not just Cashman in this book. It has stuff from ownership on down to the players as it's about the Yankee organization.

I had the same reaction.

Those missteps have been well documented before this book comes out next week by other sources including Stanton himself.

NYYF Legend

lol boy talk about personality disorders! The Three Faces of Brian lol

I'm going to read this book!
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    lol boy talk about personality disorders! The Three Faces of Brian lol

I'm going to read this book!
    You'll have a personality disorder too if you had to work for George Steinbrenner for over 20 years.

By the way, Michael Kay had the writers of this book on his show today. Some interesting tidbits were shared as I await my copy of the book to arrive in the mail.

Those missteps have been well documented before this book comes out next week by other sources including Stanton himself.
    Even if that's entirely true, Cashman being quoted and rehashing them for this book won't endear him with Jeter or his fans. And the Marlins are a good team to trade with from time to time, a la Stanton and Yelich.

Even if that's entirely true, Cashman being quoted and rehashing them for this book won't endear him with Jeter or his fans. And the Marlins are a good team to trade with from time to time, a la Stanton and Yelich.
    I think Cashman has resigned himself to that reality a long time ago.

NYYF Legend

True, most casual fans think Jeter "owns" the Marlins but of course he doesn't, he's a CEO of sorts with a minority piece. Corporate raider Bruce Sherman really "owns" the team and it's just my guess he'll order more "selloffs" as talent emerges and threatens to become expensive.

Cashman was around when Jim Beattie steered Pedro Martinez to the Red Sox to spite GMSIII. Surely Cashman remembers that but I guess he's counting on Jeter to shrug it off, or doesn't care about revisiting deals with this franchise.

Thread Information