+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 40 FirstFirst ... 29 36 37 38 39 40 LastLast
    NYYF Triple Crown

Re: 2019 Brain Cashman Performance Thread

Sometimes I wonder what the structure of Cashman contract looks like. For instance if the incentives to stay under a certain threshold are comparable to winning the World Series. Maybe he earns the most money getting to 100 wins while keeping the payroll below the second luxury tax tier. May explain this new “the postseason is a crap shoot” narrative.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung4Vazquez View Post
    Sometimes I wonder what the structure of Cashman contract looks like. For instance if the incentives to stay under a certain threshold are comparable to winning the World Series. Maybe he earns the most money getting to 100 wins while keeping the payroll below the second luxury tax tier. May explain this new “the postseason is a crap shoot” narrative.
    In my uneducated opinion it would be unwise to offer incentives to any GM, manager, or coach which could create any type of conflict of interest. The only incentive for all job titles should be getting a share of the extra revenues produced by being a postseason team.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

Way to go extending a wife-beating closer with a diminishing fastball. What a dumb and completely unnecessary move.

I'm okay with this move but I think I would've preferred the draft pick due to some concerns around Chapman going forward (although he has easily the best RP available).

The way I think about pitching this off-season is really focused on a 7 game series (since I think the Yankees are highly probable to have a top two record in the next few years). In a 7 game series, a guy like Gerrit Cole would probably pitch about 15 innings while a guy like Chapman should be able to pitch 6 innings. It would be fair to expect each to have similar ERAs (although Cole is a far better pitcher, RP ERAs are lower). Therefore, Chapman should be worth 40% of Cole (6/15). So if Chapman gets 3/48 (or 16M a year), Cole should get 40M a year if on a theoretical contract of 3 years (I know his actual contract will be more then 3 years and less, I hope, than 40M per). I do think that Cole could get a 3/120M contract if he so desires and therefore view the Chapman deal as being in line with Cole's market value.

This view of the marketplace also highlights the value of an elite SP who could potentially pitch 3 games in a 7 game series. That would allow that pitcher to maybe pitch 20 IP in a 7 game series. I wonder if Ryu can do that (given that he doesn't do much/any throwing between starts). In summary, I would love to see us get an elite SP with a track record of success on 3 days rest (and that person would likely be underpriced on the market)

I'm liking this deal less the more I think of it. While it's an okay deal relative to what Cole will likely command, we could probably get Ryu or Wheeler for a similar contract and I'd much prefer one of those two versus Chapman.

For each starter we obtain, we need to push someone out of the rotation, at least until injury strikes. First person out is probably German who I assume has options left and can be sent to the minors (thus not accumulating service time). Second guy that gets pushed out is Happ (side benefit of making his 2021 option not vest). Signing Chapman virtually eliminates the odds of getting two high priced SP. Hopefully, we still get one - would love Cole at 7, $245M if that could get it done.

Devoted Member

This is a quote by CC in the NYP today:

The recently retired Yankees hurler said he has spoken “many times” with the most coveted free agent in this winter’s class, and that “if you give that motherf–ker enough money, he’s going to want to come here.
    I gotta admit I laughed pretty hard at the brutal honesty. Very refreshing.

Cole is going wherever they pay him the most money. Not an overly complex negotiating strategy for Cashman. Get with the owner and prepare the club financially to bring him in. No excuses.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by Strategerie View Post
    - would love Cole at 7, $245M if that could get it done.
    The number you are suggesting is a $35M AAV. Would that increase over the Greinke unadjusted contract ($34.4M AAV) be enough of an increase (signed four years ago) for Boras to accept?

Right now, the highest AAVs for a pitcher are Verlander ($33M) and Greinke ($32.3M factoring in the deferred dollars). I can see Boras pushing for something closer to $40M AAV.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Infusing some new young coaching blood into the Yankee organization. Let's hope we see some better results with Blake than Rothschild.

https://sports.yahoo.com/savage-move...5.html?src=rss
    Cashman: Death Star Fully Operational

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    Infusing some new young coaching blood into the Yankee organization. Let's hope we see some better results with Blake than Rothschild.

https://sports.yahoo.com/savage-move...5.html?src=rss
    I would think it would be impossible to get worse results. Looks like a very good addition.

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    I would think it would be impossible to get worse results. Looks like a very good addition.
    Larry was really good at clicking that pitch count clicker. Anybody know if the new guy has any background with it?

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

NYYF Legend

This change and other pitching coach changes should have been made last year. Instead they blamed the player (Sonny) instead of blaming themselves.

A theme in the Brian Cashman regime.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    This change and other pitching coach changes should have been made last year. Instead they blamed the player (Sonny) instead of blaming themselves.

A theme in the Brian Cashman regime.
    This change is bigger than just Sonny Gray. Will you ever give Cashman any credit instead of just criticism?

NYYF Legend

This change is bigger than just Sonny Gray. Will you ever give Cashman any credit instead of just criticism?
    It's bigger than Sonny Gray? I don't know what that means. They should have been making pitching development changes many years ago. Both at major league pitching level and at the mL levels. They are consistently far too slow on this type of stuff. Both in making changes and actually understanding/implementing analytics.

I'll give Cashman credit when it's actually due. Making pitching coach changes multiple years late isn't one of them. Not to mention we really don't know how successful the new coaches will be. You are far too quick to offer kudos to Cashman for really nothing of substance.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

It's bigger than Sonny Gray? I don't know what that means. They should have been making pitching development changes many years ago. Both at major league pitching level and at the mL levels. They are consistently far too slow on this type of stuff. Both in making changes and actually understanding/implementing analytics.

I'll give Cashman credit when it's actually due. Making pitching coach changes multiple years late isn't one of them.
    They basically let go their entire pitching development and coaching staff this offseason. This is a major shift as obviously they think they have a systematic problem which is why it's bigger than Sonny Gray.

As to Cashman getting credit from you when it's due. I seriously doubt it and not because Cashman won't do anything that deserves some credit.

NYYF Legend

They basically let go their entire pitching development and coaching staff this offseason. This is a major shift as obviously they think they have a systematic problem which is why it's bigger than Sonny Gray.

As to Cashman getting credit from you when it's due. I seriously doubt it and not because Cashman won't do anything that deserves some credit.
    You want to give the guy credit who torches a house and then puts out the fire. Whereas my take is he shouldn't have torched the house to begin with.

As edited in my previous comment, we have no idea how successful these new coaches will be. You are far too quick to offer kudos to Cashman for nothing of substance.
    Calmer than you are

You want to give the guy credit who torches a house and then puts out the fire. Whereas my take is he shouldn't have torched the house to begin with.

As edited in my previous comment, we have no idea how successful these new coaches will be. You are far too quick to offer kudos to Cashman for nothing of substance.
    He made a change which is the only thing I'm giving him credit for as it remains to be seen whether he gets kudos from me regarding better results from this change and other personnel changes that haven't been announced yet.

NYYF Legend

He made a change which is the only thing I'm giving him credit for as it remains to be seen whether he gets kudos from me regarding better results from this change and other personnel changes that haven't been announced yet.
    I don't know why you are giving him credit for making changes? Seems pretty arbitrary, but have at it. Changes aren't always good or bad, they are changes.
    Calmer than you are

I don't know why you are giving him credit for making changes? Seems pretty arbitrary, but have at it. Changes aren't always good or bad, they are changes.
    Can it get any worse in your mind?

NYYF Legend

Can it get any worse in your mind?
    They seem to be taking a more analytical approach to pitching, but things aren't as simple as that.

1) It's looking at the correct pitching analytics. For example it looks like they were previously just looking at spin rates without understanding fastball rise/active spin numbers. Or in the case of Sonny Gray they were just telling him to throw more sliders because the xwOBA was lower without understanding how it impacts the pitcher as a whole. There are a lot of dynamics in play here.

2) It's finding the appropriate people that can translate the analytics to on-field success/change. Are these the correct people to do that? Still very much TBD. I hope they are.
    Calmer than you are

NYYF Triple Crown

They seem to be taking a more analytical approach to pitching, but things aren't as simple as that.

1) It's looking at the correct pitching analytics. For example it looks like they were previously just looking at spin rates without understanding fastball rise/active spin numbers. Or in the case of Sonny Gray they were just telling him to throw more sliders because the xwOBA was lower without understanding how it impacts the pitcher as a whole. There are a lot of dynamics in play here.

2) It's finding the appropriate people that can translate the analytics to on-field success/change. Are these the correct people to do that? Still very much TBD. I hope they are.
    I always like experience, MLB pitcher, etc. I am happy we got an analytical person. I am happy Brian made this move (agree it was overdue).

Just want to add he was hired 2016 by Cleveland and Trevor got a lot better. Here is waht Travor posted.

Bauer responded:

“One of the smarter guys I know. Knows a lot about pitching. A lot about development. Good communicator. Etc. Really excited for him getting this opportunity and pumped to see the results.”

I always hope and think maybe Matt can help Sevy (another pitch) but it's early and being in development to bench is big. I also always like Terry and I am sure Matt work with him. I don't follow the Reds but they did a good job with Sonny and put together a good rotation now looking at Didi.

Bauer responded:

“One of the smarter guys I know. Knows a lot about pitching. A lot about development. Good communicator. Etc. Really excited for him getting this opportunity and pumped to see the results.”

Look we need Cole an ACE. Sure Wheeler is an improvement but not an ACE. That is more important than this.

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    The number you are suggesting is a $35M AAV. Would that increase over the Greinke unadjusted contract ($34.4M AAV) be enough of an increase (signed four years ago) for Boras to accept?

Right now, the highest AAVs for a pitcher are Verlander ($33M) and Greinke ($32.3M factoring in the deferred dollars). I can see Boras pushing for something closer to $40M AAV.
    I agree which is why I said I'd be happy with a $35M AAV. I think the ultimate number will be $35-40M over 7-8 years. I have been surprised that I've seen two websites predict contracts and both had Cole with an AAV of less than $35M

Quote Originally Posted by bucky View Post
    I always like experience, MLB pitcher, etc. I am happy we got an analytical person. I am happy Brian made this move (agree it was overdue).

Just want to add he was hired 2016 by Cleveland and Trevor got a lot better. Here is waht Travor posted.

Bauer responded:

I always hope and think maybe Matt can help Sevy (another pitch) but it's early and being in development to bench is big. I also always like Terry and I am sure Matt work with him. I don't follow the Reds but they did a good job with Sonny and put together a good rotation now looking at Didi.

Bauer responded:

Look we need Cole an ACE. Sure Wheeler is an improvement but not an ACE. That is more important than this.
    More stuff on Blake. I see Cashman hired another college pitching coach for the minors yesterday.

https://nypost.com/2019/11/09/yankee...d-of-his-time/

Also, I expect some changes on the training and medical staffs based on Cashman's answer to a question asked of him during that last press conference.

NYYF Triple Crown

More stuff on Blake. I see Cashman hired another college pitching coach for the minors yesterday.

https://nypost.com/2019/11/09/yankee...d-of-his-time/

Also, I expect some changes on the training and medical staffs based on Cashman's answer to a question asked of him during that last press conference.

thanks. The more I read about Matt the more I like him. We have come a long way from Eiland (who I did not like). Look Larry did a solid job - it was time just like Joe G. I am also glad he hired a college coach because we need to develop our pitching prospects. Case in point. Abreu. I would get Dillon Tate back - he will not be protected by BAL and he has high potential (nobody else agrees) and put him in the pen. BAL is not helping him by making his sinker his SO pitch.

Wasn't injuries an excuse last year? Don't get me started on the injuries - I make CP look good.

Quote Originally Posted by bucky View Post

Bauer responded:

Bauer responded:

When you were having this conversation with Trevor Bauer and he responded twice with the exact same words, did you check to make sure he was taking all his meds?
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    When you were having this conversation with Trevor Bauer and he responded twice with the exact same words, did you check to make sure he was taking all his meds?
    my bad. (I pasted it twice - it was from another article I found when I was looking into Matt's background) I just saw he was hired in 2016 and Trevor numbers improved in 2016 then came across what he said.) I haven't seen anything bad and the Indians wanted to keep him).

We will see what happens. I liked Coney but this looks good. Happy for Larry going to SD who seems to be interested in Cole. I will really be bummed out if we lose to SD.

Thread Information