+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: 2019 Brain Cashman Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by spanky185 View Post
    Well letting DRob walk looks good today
    So far Cash's bullpen decisions appear to be the right ones as Ottavino and Britton have both pitched well, especially Ottavino. DRob and Miller have both struggled. Obviously way too early though to make judgments there. DRob, in particular, is rock solid, I'd be surprised if he doesn't have a strong year. And Andrew Miller still has the most upside if healthy and the 2017 version of himself still exists.

Quote Originally Posted by primetime714 View Post
    So far Cash's bullpen decisions appear to be the right ones as Ottavino and Britton have both pitched well, especially Ottavino. DRob and Miller have both struggled. Obviously way too early though to make judgments there. DRob, in particular, is rock solid, I'd be surprised if he doesn't have a strong year. And Andrew Miller still has the most upside if healthy and the 2017 version of himself still exists.
    I was very disappointed when I learned that Cashman brought back CC and Gardy for season 2019.

This vaunted bullpen of ours is bursting at the seams with awful performances by Chad Green, Tommy Kahnle, Zack Britton, and Jonathan Holder with Aroldis Chapman racking up uneven outcomes. Only Ottavino is pitching good. With the way our starters not being able to pitch at least six innings, early burnout is inevitable.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by YanksBeatBraves1996 View Post
    This vaunted bullpen of ours is bursting at the seams with awful performances by Chad Green, Tommy Kahnle, Zack Britton, and Jonathan Holder with Aroldis Chapman racking up uneven outcomes. Only Ottavino is pitching good. With the way our starters not being able to pitch at least six innings, early burnout is inevitable.
    Tanaka laughed. It's by Cashman design that they want to shorten the game whenever they could. And your point may make sense if it's August. It's April.

Cashman offseason scorecard thus far:

Success: DJL, Ottavino
    Miss: Happ, Paxton, Britton, Gardner, Tulo
    Incomplete: Sabathia

It’s too early on all of these, but things are not looking good for Cash spending “wisely”

Meanwhile all of the top 3 FAs he passed on are helping their teams win.

JA Happ's ERA is 8.76 after he was lifted after four innings. This washed up ex-Blue Jay is raking in $17M for the next two seasons.

Cashman didn't want to give Patrick Corbin the term he was asking.

It’s too early on all of these, but things are not looking good for Cash spending “wisely”

Huge unacceptable misses: Corbin, Machado, Harper

Its an epic disaster of an offseason that might ruin any chances this group has of winning a title anytime soon

Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045 View Post
    Huge unacceptable misses: Corbin, Machado, Harper

Its an epic disaster of an offseason that might ruin any chances this group has of winning a title anytime soon
    Potentially a decade of opportunity missed especially with the owners winning the collusion battle and forcing everyone to sign team friendly extensions. There won’t be a 26 year old superstar free agent for perhaps another decade, much less two in the same offseason

Potentially a decade of opportunity missed especially with the owners winning the collusion battle and forcing everyone to sign team friendly extensions. There won’t be a 26 year old superstar free agent for perhaps another decade, much less two.

Nope. This is why passing on these guys was such a killer. This may literally have been the last chance anytime soon to sign a superstar FA.

Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045 View Post
    Nope. This is why passing on these guys was such a killer. This may literally have been the last chance anytime soon to sign a superstar FA.
    For sure, it made more sense to sign both now and let our own guys eventually walk than to pass on both. But instead we invest in volatile 1 inning relievers and pitchers in their upper 30s.

This might go down as Cashman’s worst offseason. Even the Ellsbury year we got non-terrible value from Beltran and McCann. I guess the Pavano year was bad too. Hopefully I’m just overreacting and will eat these words in a month or so, but have the feeling that this offseason will be years and years of regret.

NYYF Legend

For sure, it made more sense to sign both now and let our own guys eventually walk than to pass on both. But instead we invest in volatile 1 inning relievers and pitchers in their upper 30s.

This might go down as Cashman’s worst offseason. Even the Ellsbury year we got non-terrible value from Beltran and McCann. I guess the Pavano year was bad too. Hopefully I’m just overreacting and will eat these words in a month or so, but have the feeling that this offseason will be years and years of regret.
    He needed to improve the starting pitching. Instead he filled the bullpen counting on it to shorten games. But without the starting depth and the quality, the bullpen would be called on earlier in games than desired. That isn’t shortening games, that’s pitching them. At this point, they may as well go with an opener on a consistent basis.

I also question, injuries or not, whether this “all or nothing” offensive approach, the same one that failed in the playoffs last year, was ever going to produce a different result in the playoffs. But that is Cashman. He has his analytics and, by the gods, they are the ones that work, even if he has to perpetually fail to prove it.

Other quibbles, since when has Hicks not been injury prone. Had Severino really proves he had shutdown ace stuff warranting an extension? Why does Cashman fall so in love with marginal players like Gardner and Hicks?

I have watched Cashman for a long time and can’t fathom why he is still with the Yankees. Stick Michael and Bob Watson put together those juggernaut teams of the 90’s. George did not like those GM’s because they were independent. Cashman was elevated because George wanted a sock puppet. Excluding those 90’s teams Cashman has one exactly ONE WS.
    Jay Buhner for Ken Phelps!?!?

NYYF Triple Crown

I still think of Corbin because of his slider but just want to add German, Frazier, and Urshela I feel are doing a good job. I like how Brian move Tarpley back to make room for CC and kept Harvey. I think we missed on Bird, too.

I hope CC is our stopper this afternoon.

Cashman's embarrassment was the 7-year, $142M contract for free agent Jacoby "Chief" Ellsbury whom the BoSox didn't want to resign. That was a fireable offense just like the O's $161M handout to Chris Davis (0 for 55 fame).

Quote Originally Posted by bucky View Post
    I still think of Corbin because of his slider but just want to add German, Frazier, and Urshela I feel are doing a good job. I like how Brian move Tarpley back to make room for CC and kept Harvey. I think we missed on Bird, too.

I hope CC is our stopper this afternoon.
    Cashman is great at building the system and finding value in unestablished players. He has coin flip success at best with mid-tier veterans. He often gets too cute thinking he can score value on the 2nd tier of FAs, but he’s had most of his successes in FA when he pays up and lands the top fish (Tanaka, Mussina, Giambi, Sabathia).

NYYF Cy Young

I go back to them not trading for Gerrit Cole - the beginning of a downhill spiral, even before Corbin.

The Death Star is Sputtering Zimmer's Helmet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZIM 2002 View Post
    I go back to them not trading for Gerrit Cole - the beginning of a downhill spiral, even before Corbin.
    Huh? That was actually one non-move Cashman got right.
    The Pirates wanted Frazier AND Andujar for Cole while willing to take far less from the Astros.

And Cole was full of red flags before the Astros turned him around (as they did with Morton and Verlander). No chance the Yankees would have righted him.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    The Pirates wanted Frazier AND Andujar for Cole while willing to take far less from the Astros.

And Cole was full of red flags before the Astros turned him around (as they did with Morton and Verlander). No chance the Yankees would have righted him.
    Larry the statue Rothschild is a waste of a salary. Astute pitching coaches like Dave Duncan and Don Cooper are rare but they are out there for the right money yet Cashman stands still.

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post

I don't like trading with Pirates or Reds. Agree. It was a good pick up by Tampa to get Morton for 2 yrs at 15M/yr. He is 2-0, still high K%, and one win was against HOU (sweet). I want Cole to be our target next year (I think he is going to test FA because both Verlander and Cole both there) and will be mad if Brian puts a value on Cole like Corbin (just offer him more for less years if one year is a problem but 100/5 was way too low). I am actually looking to how Morton does against us.

I don't like trading with Pirates or Reds. Agree. It was a good pick up by Tampa to get Morton for 2 yrs at 15M/yr. He is 2-0, still high K%, and one win was against HOU (sweet). I want Cole to be our target next year (I think he is going to test FA because both Verlander and Cole both there) and will be mad if Brian puts a value on Cole like Corbin (just offer him more for less years if one year is a problem but 100/5 was way too low). I am actually looking to how Morton does against us.
    They should go after Cole like they did Sabathia many years ago. Show up at his door first day of free agency with a big offer and a strong sales pitch. They won’t but they should

NYYF Triple Crown

They should go after Cole like they did Sabathia many years ago. Show up at his door first day of free agency with a big offer and a strong sales pitch. They won’t but they should
    Definitely. I don't want to be cheap. I do think the 2 years (rental and Pirates) was a big factor in that non trade. This is the 3rd strike with Cole so I want to go down swinging. (I think we signed Tanaka in 2014 and CC in 2009) but it's been many years ago for an anchor, which I find unbelievable because I always wanted pitching). I read somewhere we scouted Corbin for 3 years and then to see what we offered?

Just me but I so happy for Germán this year - I have no problem him being the long reliever now to help our pen and 6th backup.

not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

Meanwhile, all of the top 3 FAs he passed on are helping their teams win.
    I'm fine with the Happ signing even if I'd rather have had Corbin.

Wasn't a fan of the Britton over Robertson pick up.

Tulo is fine but expecting him to start was the mistake.

Paxton was a good pickup.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

Quote Originally Posted by ajra21 View Post
    I'm fine with the Happ signing even if I'd rather have had Corbin.

Wasn't a fan of the Britton over Robertson pick up.

Tulo is fine but expecting him to start was the mistake.

Paxton was a good pickup.
    Happ was a big risk at his age and fastball dependency. That said he has a bad stretch every year and always bounces back, let’s hope that is now. Big mistake though to choose Happ over Corbin though even at their salaries and contract lengths. Corbin’s upside was vastly higher as he was statistically a top 5 pitcher in baseball in 2018. Happ has never sniffed that success and is 36 and could lose his fastball at any moment and he’s reliant on that. So best case scenario we’re getting 2-3 years of who Happ has been lately, which would be fine for the price but what are the chances of that? Corbin best case scenario was another ace for most of his deal, but even if not he’s still probably giving you something similar to J.A. Happ 2018 production.

Agree on the rest. DRob was rock solid year over year. Tulo was fine but only if they built depth assuming he’d get injured, plenty of nice role players signed minor league deals or for very low salaries.

I really liked the Paxton signing but worry about him in Rothschild’s hands. Cashman gets the blame if he won’t hire the staff to not get the most out of his acquisitions

NYYF Legend

Happ was a big risk at his age and fastball dependency. That said he has a bad stretch every year and always bounces back, let’s hope that is now. Big mistake though to choose Happ over Corbin though even at their salaries and contract lengths.
    This is where I am, I'm still confident Happ will find his #3/#4 self. But the window of opportunity is NOW. "Too many years" for Corbin, yeah OK. When our championship core has sailed to the four wins in 2023 I'm sure those savings that year will keep us warm.

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    This is where I am, I'm still confident Happ will find his #3/#4 self. But the window of opportunity is NOW. "Too many years" for Corbin, yeah OK. When our championship core has sailed to the four wins in 2023 I'm sure those savings that year will keep us warm.
    I always say this and hopefully get over it in maybe a month. Corbin struck out 11 in 7 innings his last outing.

Fangraphs wrote.
    The lefty's strikeout rate exploded, leaping from 21.6% to 30.8%. (his slider)

He 29. Sure he may not be a ace and I do like Happ BUT "one year!!!!"

I always say this and hopefully get over it in maybe a month. Corbin struck out 11 in 7 innings his last outing.

Fangraphs wrote.
    The lefty's strikeout rate exploded, leaping from 21.6% to 30.8%. (his slider)

He 29. Sure he may not be a ace and I do like Happ BUT "one year!!!!"
    JA Happ wasn't going to return to the Yankees for just one season. I think he wanted three years but Cashman stuck to his guns, but gave Happ $17M per season which is a lot of cash.

Thread Information