+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 34 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 18 ... LastLast

Re: 2019 Brain Cashman Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Strategerie View Post
    Good point on defining what an ace is. To me, it seems fair to say, on a go forward basis, a #1 is in the top 15 starters in their league, a #2 in the 16-30 range, .... I would probably raise the bar a bit and say an ace is projected to have a top ten park adjusted ERA in their league. I agree that past consistency is a factor in what expected go forward performance is but I'd also look at stuff, command, placement on aging curve, recent performance, injury risk (which certainly hurts our "aces"), etc....

Based on my criteria, I think I'd struggle to name 10-15 AL starters that I'd prefer going forward than Severino and Paxton.

As added examples, I would consider Giolito and Ryu aces even though neither possesses a huge track record. On a side note, I'm hoping we sign Ryu in the off-season.

Anyways, we all have different definitions. The above is how I think of it.
    You could define ace differently but the top 30 pitchers should be #1s since there are 30 teams. If players were randomly assigned to teams, a top 30 pitcher would be some teamís #1. You could say 16 to 30 are below average #1s.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonn1997 View Post
    You could define ace differently but the top 30 pitchers should be #1s since there are 30 teams. If players were randomly assigned to teams, a top 30 pitcher would be some teamís #1. You could say 16 to 30 are below average #1s.
    Agreed but I said top 15 in their league (and there are two leagues). I differentiate because of the different ERAs by league. I agree it's fair to just double all my numbers and look at the majors as a whole.

Agreed but I said top 15 in their league (and there are two leagues). I differentiate because of the different ERAs by league. I agree it's fair to just double all my numbers and look at the majors as a whole.
    My bad. Weíre on the same page.

Good point on defining what an ace is. To me, it seems fair to say, on a go forward basis, a #1 is in the top 15 starters in their league, a #2 in the 16-30 range, .... I would probably raise the bar a bit and say an ace is projected to have a top ten park adjusted ERA in their league. I agree that past consistency is a factor in what expected go forward performance is but I'd also look at stuff, command, placement on aging curve, recent performance, injury risk (which certainly hurts our "aces"), etc....

Based on my criteria, I think I'd struggle to name 10-15 AL starters that I'd prefer going forward than Severino and Paxton.

As added examples, I would consider Giolito and Ryu aces even though neither possesses a huge track record. On a side note, I'm hoping we sign Ryu in the off-season.

Anyways, we all have different definitions. The above is how I think of it.
    Not ready to put the ace tag on Severino and/or Paxton. Severino was dominant during the first half last year but has pitched like a number 5 for long stretches. Paxton has been inconsistent and lacks durability.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vanderlay View Post
    Not ready to put the ace tag on Severino and/or Paxton. Severino was dominant during the first half last year but has pitched like a number 5 for long stretches. Paxton has been inconsistent and lacks durability.
    For the time being:

Tanaka
    Paxton
    Happ
    CC

Tarpley, long relief
    Green, 1st & 2nd
    Cortes, 3rd, 4th & 5th
    Kahnle, 6th
    Ottavino, 7th
    Britton, 8th
    Chapman, 9th
    ----

No more Cessa and Holder, please!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by YanksBeatBraves1996 View Post
    Wang (not Wong) won 19 games for the Yankees once.
    He won 19 games twice and was well on the way to doing a third consecutive season when he was hurt running the bases.

Released Outright

how many more opportunities will Brain have to fleece the Mariners this season?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by nyy42 View Post
    how many more opportunities will Brian have to fleece the Mariners this season?

Under the radar move: Tommy Milone, to be used as "the guy after the opener" every 5/6 days - Give the Mariners Luis Cessa and a young c-level prospect with some upside.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...ilonto01.shtml
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

Considering the spate of injuries that struck the Yankees this season, Cashman has received many kudos for compiling a strong number of backup depth players.

With Hal Steinbrenner publicly saying he will spend whatever it will take to put the team over the top this season (World Series win or bust), with Aaron Boone calming managing style and the players buying into do whatever it takes to score runs, I have a strong feeling this team will win the World Series.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by YanksBeatBraves1996 View Post
    Considering the spate of injuries that struck the Yankees this season, Cashman has received many kudos for compiling a strong number of backup depth players.

With Hal Steinbrenner publicly saying he will spend whatever it will take to put the team over the top this season (World Series win or bust), with Aaron Boone calming managing style and the players buying into do whatever it takes to score runs, I have a strong feeling this team will win the World Series.
    I'm glad you put into words the euphoric feelings that I'm having. I think this can be a very special year and can eventually outshine the 2018 Red Sox success. And Brian has certainly contributed. And Hal said what everyone needs to hear. And Boone has guys like Urshela and Romine and Maybin really believing in the roles that they are playing.

A Special Season.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

Brain should have his privileges to trade for pitchers revoked.

Getting Paxton and signing Happ were great moves at the time. It hasn't gone as planned but come on, we can't lay performances completely on Cashman. He made the correct moves.
    NYYFans FBB: Evil Empire

Hope is eternal

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    Getting Paxton and signing Happ were great moves at the time. It hasn't gone as planned but come on, we can't lay performances completely on Cashman. He made the correct moves.
    On the other hand Voit and DJ. Great moves. Also glad he ignored the experts that wanted to trade Sanchez for Realmuto
    The sky is falling! We are doomed!

The Death Star is Sputtering Zimmer's Helmet's Avatar

I'm sorry, but signing Happ (and Sabathia) instead of Morton was a huge mistake.

And it's not 20/20 hindsight either. He was a clear upgrade over both pitchers, and only required a 1-year deal, but Cashman took the lazy way out.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Exactly this. Imagine if we had kept Sheffield. Dude has tanked hard this year. Paxton isn't an ace, but I still feel comfortable calling Paxton a good #2/#3 pitcher, though I question if he is actually fully healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    I'm sorry, but signing Happ (and Sabathia) instead of Morton was a huge mistake.

And it's not 20/20 hindsight either. He was a clear upgrade over both pitchers, and only required a 1-year deal, but Cashman took the lazy way out.
    I think the Yankees wondered why the Astros would let Morton just walk like they did. Heck, they didn't even give Morton a qualifying offer.

not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

FWIW, Morton wasn't an option as has been stated a few times before.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

I'm with you. I did not want Happ or Sabathia back. Paxton trade was fine, he has just been disappointing and is probably pitching hurt.

oh don’t get me wrong, the non acquisition of Morton and Cole really pissed me off. But when the chips fell how they did I was okay with Happ as consolation. I never expected Happ and Paxton to continue to get hammered the way they are.

Sabathia, imo, was more of a mutual respect kind of deal.

NYYF Legend

Wasn't there something about Morton only wanting to play for a few teams or he would retire? And the Yankees were not on his list.

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Wasn't there something about Morton only wanting to play for a few teams or he would retire? And the Yankees were not on his list.
    I don't know anything about the guy but boy would I love to hear why anyone would say they'll play for the Rays but not the Yankees.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

The Death Star is Sputtering Zimmer's Helmet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ajra21 View Post
    FWIW, Morton wasn't an option as has been stated a few times before.
    Why was he not an option? Was he too good for Cashman?
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

NYYF Legend

Why was he not an option? Was he too good for Cashman?
    Because there were only certain team he would play for, New York was not one.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    I was completely unaware of this. Strange.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Was this reported anywhere? I didn't see it.

Thread Information