+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: 2019 Brain Cashman Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    Every time I read this thread title I immediately say to myself, "Gee, Brain, what do you want to do tonight?" and then answer myself with, "the same thing we do every night, Pinky. Try to take over the world."

God, how I love Pinky and the Brain. Yeah, I'm weird.
    http://www.nyyfansforum.com/showthre...=1#post8657516
    Just win!

Pinkie was the one with common sense so that sort of eliminates Boone
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

is this site dead?

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    Every time I read this thread title I immediately say to myself, "Gee, Brain, what do you want to do tonight?" and then answer myself with, "the same thing we do every night, Pinky. Try to take over the world."

God, how I love Pinky and the Brain. Yeah, I'm weird.
    And I have an irrational fondness for Escape From New York. Here are two members of the star-studded cast: Adrienne Barbeau's cleavage, and Harry Dean Stanton as Brain.

A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Released Outright

Do something brain

Quote Originally Posted by nyyankeefan4life View Post
    is this site dead?
    Cashman signed a five year extension last year and has Hal completely snowed, he is not going anywhere despite the fact that he has more resources than any other team and has been to the World Series once in 16 years and hasn't won the division in 7. And under his watch our chief rivals have becom the dominant in the division and argueably the game.

Quote Originally Posted by nyy42 View Post
    Do something brain

Sadly there is nothing he can do. All the cards have been played all the top FA hitters are gone. The guys you would have got something good for are hurt.

Cashman can't do nothing but make a excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vanderlay View Post
    Cashman signed a five year extension last year and has Hal completely snowed, he is not going anywhere despite the fact that he has more resources than any other team and has been to the World Series once in 16 years and hasn't won the division in 7. And under his watch our chief rivals have becom the dominant in the division and argueably the game.
    Posted this years ago. It stands.

Well letting DRob walk looks good today
    Assistant to the Manager
    Analytical Department of Analytics

NYYF Legend

Congratulations to Brian Cashman on his 2000th win as Yankee GM. That's a lot of wins. I wonder which GM holds the record.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    Congratulations to Brian Cashman on his 2000th win as Yankee GM. That's a lot of wins. I wonder which GM holds the record.
    Couldn't find the all time record, but Dombrowski has almost 2200.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    Couldn't find the all time record, but Dombrowski has almost 2200.
    I would guess that it's Connie Mack.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post

I think Mack was a manager (for many yrs) and even an owner, but I don't think he ever had the title of "general manager". Perhaps back in his day there wasn't even such a thing as GM, I don't know.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    Impossible to tell as front offices in the old days weren't always constructed in a way that would be familiar to today's fan. Often, as with Mack, the field manager made the personnel decisions. The thing about Mack, though, is that in his field manager hat he allegedly started going home in the 4th inning sometime around 1935, so we can reasonably assume he was delegating a lot, if not all, of the personnel stuff by then as well.

My guess would be the first "modern" GM, Branch Rickey. Did it for about 40 years (c.1915-c.1955) and we know he was fully involved the whole time. Plus only in his first few years and his last few did his teams tend to be bad. Must have racked up a lot of wins.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    I think Mack was a manager (for many yrs) and even an owner, but I don't think he ever had the title of "general manager". Perhaps back in his day there wasn't even such a thing as GM, I don't know.
    Having read the definitive biography of Mack I can tell you GM was not a title back then. Until the 1920s the field manager also made trades and acquired players. There were some exceptions. Barrow on the Yankees for example. As for Mack he pretty much ran the entire operation until the end which pretty much caused the downfall of the As and their movement out of Philadelphia.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Having read the definitive biography of Mack I can tell you GM was not a title back then. Until the 1920s the field manager also made trades and acquired players. There were some exceptions. Barrow on the Yankees for example. As for Mack he pretty much ran the entire operation until the end which pretty much caused the downfall of the As and their movement out of Philadelphia.
    Did he really "run" it in the later years, though? I have always heard that he pretty much delegated to his son Earle once he got old.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    Impossible to tell as front offices in the old days weren't always constructed in a way that would be familiar to today's fan. Often, as with Mack, the field manager made the personnel decisions. The thing about Mack, though, is that in his field manager hat he allegedly started going home in the 4th inning sometime around 1935, so we can reasonably assume he was delegating a lot, if not all, of the personnel stuff by then as well.

My guess would be the first "modern" GM, Branch Rickey. Did it for about 40 years (c.1915-c.1955) and we know he was fully involved the whole time. Plus only in his first few years and his last few did his teams tend to be bad. Must have racked up a lot of wins.
    Mack never left games in the 4th inning. His skills began to erode in the mid 40s. But he ran everything. The As were one of the last teams to have a farm system and did not even have a farm system director until the mid 40s. Mack believed what worked in the teens and 20s would always work. But the times changed.

NYYF Legend

Did he really "run" it in the later years, though? I have always heard that he pretty much delegated to his son Earle once he got old.
    Mack had three sons but unfortunately it was the youngest son that had the brains. But Mack was from a time when the oldest son took over the business and that was Earle. So he gave power to Earle around 47 but Earle had no idea what to do. Like I said this is what killed the As in Philadelphia.

Hope is eternal

Do you mean the 3 volume behemeth done by Norman Macht? I am half way through volume 2
    The sky is falling! We are doomed!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    Do you mean the 3 volume behemeth done by Norman Macht? I am half way through volume 2
    That's the one. Unbelievable the info I found out reading those 3 books. Like how the leagues voted twice to have the DH in the 20s. Both times the NL voted for it but the AL voted against it. Macht's research is incredible.

Hope is eternal

That's the one. Unbelievable the info I found out reading those 3 books. Like how the leagues voted twice to have the DH in the 20s. Both times the NL voted for it but the AL voted against it. Macht's research is incredible.
    Agreed. I just got his new book that came out this week. “They Played the Game”.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    Agreed. I just got his new book that came out this week. “They Played the Game”.
    Will have to check that book out if it's as good as the Mack books.

NYYF Legend

Sounds like something I should look into. Does the author have any thoughts on why Mack broke up the 1910-14 dynasty? There have always been about three "explanations" floating around:

a) He was afraid of the Federal League signing his guys and wanted to cash them in before they jumped.
    b) Some of the A's had conspired to throw the 1914 World Series and he wanted to be rid of the bad actors.
    c) Mack was just a weird guy.

I've never really seen the question adequately answered, though.

Hope is eternal

Will have to check that book out if it's as good as the Mack books.
    It is a collection of stories and memories of many past players.

NYYF Legend

Sounds like something I should look into. Does the author have any thoughts on why Mack broke up the 1910-14 dynasty? There have always been about three "explanations" floating around:

a) He was afraid of the Federal League signing his guys and wanted to cash them in before they jumped.
    b) Some of the A's had conspired to throw the 1914 World Series and he wanted to be rid of the bad actors.
    c) Mack was just a weird guy.

I've never really seen the question adequately answered, though.
    From what I remember mostly A but there might have been other reasons too. The 3 books are incredibly researched. Each runs over 600 pages but once you start reading it you don't mind it at all.

Thread Information