+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 12 ... LastLast

Re: 2019 Brain Cashman Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    lol boy talk about personality disorders! The Three Faces of Brian lol

I'm going to read this book!
    To be clear, I havenít read anything in the book except what was excerpted. My impression of Cashman is based solely on my observations of him in public over the last twenty plus years....and Iím not suggesting he has a personality disorder (you may be saying that in jest anyway).

I do wonder if being the GM of a team that at one time outspent the rest of baseball by a wide margin every year has fueled some level of insecurity with how heís perceived. I think heís done a very good job overall...short of great but very good. But I do wonder if he relishes the opportunity to show how tough and calculating he is. Nothing wrong with being either, of course, but itís okay also to realize as Joe Torre said in a different but related context that there is a heartbeat to the game as well.

Jeter will forever be a legendary Yankee, as will Torre, Bernie Williams, Jorge Posada, and, to a lesser but still real degree, Joe Girardi.

Cashman has seemed intent on showing each who is boss. Fair enough but I do think at times he goes beyond the point of it being in the Yankees best interests and becomes gratuitous...and in the case of Jeter, potentially counter productive.

Surprised and not so surprised. Cheap hal doesn't know much about baseball,. his brother is the owner we wish we had, but perhaps the owner we do have behind the scenes pulling his brothers strings like a puppet. However, i'd think hank would of had a smarter offseason than this.

I am seriously concerned ottavino is a bust

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan1421 View Post
    I had the same reaction.

Cashman comes off at times as an odd mix of confidence bordering on arrogance mixed with some level of insecurity.

To be a longstanding and successful GM of the Yankees, and to be a legendary shortstop for the Yankees, requires at least a touch of arrogance and tunnel vision. So that neither man is all the time humble and pleasant is hardly a surprise...

But if we consider Cashman to be calculating and to a fair degree cold blooded (which I believe he is and I also believe he wants to be seen as), contributing a degree dirty laundry concerning Jeter is inconsistent with those traits.

Jeter is hardly the first superstar athlete on the decline to overrate his abilities...and Cashman is hardly the first GM to take a hard line with said athlete. What's newsworthy isn't that the negotiations from nearly a decade ago turned tense. What's newsworthy is that Cashman still apparently feels the need to expose them...particularly given, as you point out, Jeter's standing as a potential trade partner now and for years to come.

How exposing this now...and perhaps exposing Jeter's missteps as a rookie owner...could in any way help the Yankees in 2019 and beyond is lost on me.
    Jeter has the Dunning-Kruger effect as an Executive with the Marlins. He is vastly overrating his capability in his current role. He can change with time and experience, hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by Portbb View Post
    Jeter has the Dunning-Kruger effect as an Executive with the Marlins. He is vastly overrating his capability in his current role. He can change with time and experience, hopefully.
    Very well may be true. About half the baseball executives are below average...as in every walk of life.

I still don't see why a rival exec would try to flame the fire, and not stay far away from the buzz, perhaps especially, if the exec in question is one of the most iconic and popular figures in his former team's history.

Probably making a bigger deal out of this than it deserves, but I do think it's symptomatic of Cashman's overall approach to things.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan1421 View Post
    Very well may be true. About half the baseball executives are below average...as in every walk of life.

I still don't see why a rival exec would try to flame the fire, and not stay far away from the buzz, perhaps especially, if the exec in question is one of the most iconic and popular figures in his former team's history.

Probably making a bigger deal out of this than it deserves, but I do think it's symptomatic of Cashman's overall approach to things.
    Those that don't like Cashman as GM will have a problem with his Jeter's comments. Those of us that like Cashman as our GM won't have much of a problem with it. I'm a big fan of Jeter, but I didn't see anything Cashman said about Jeter was out-of-line. These writers were writing a book about how the Yankees operate their front office in 2018. There is no way Cashman wasn't going to be asked about Stanton's acquisition nor his past history with Jeter and how it soured during those last contract negotiations. IMO, Cashman had to answer those relationship questions honestly as the writers would know he was being dishonest with them as they knew their Jeter/Cashman relationship had deteriorated. I think the more critical comments about Jeter came from Stanton himself.
    Cashman: Death Star Fully Operational

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    Those that don't like Cashman as GM will have a problem with his Jeter's comments. Those of us that like Cashman as our GM won't have much of a problem with it. I'm a big fan of Jeter, but I didn't see anything Cashman said about Jeter was out-of-line. These writers were writing a book about how the Yankees operate their front office in 2018. There is no way Cashman wasn't going to be asked about Stanton's acquisition nor his past history with Jeter and how it soured during those last contract negotiations. IMO, Cashman had to answer those relationship questions honestly as the writers would know he was being dishonest with them as they knew their Jeter/Cashman relationship had deteriorated. I think the more critical comments about Jeter came from Stanton himself.
    I don't have a problem with Cashman as the team's GM. I've been a long time supporter, even when he missteps. And I'm not losing sleep over his comments. I just see zero potential benefit from making them, and potential downside. Should be smarter than that.

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    I don't have a problem with Cashman as the team's GM. I've been a long time supporter, even when he missteps. And I'm not losing sleep over his comments. I just see zero potential benefit from making them, and potential downside. Should be smarter than that.
    I don't think being smarter has anything to do with it. Not a big deal as Cashman will know better than you and I whether that's going to cause problems down the road with Jeter.

I don't think being smarter has anything to do with it. Not a big deal as Cashman will know better than you and I whether that's going to cause problems down the road with Jeter.
    We're all offering opinions here. May as well shut down the board if a prerequisite for offering thoughts is having insider information.

My take is that there is indisputably zero upside to publicly trashing a part-owner of another team he is likely to want to do business with in the future, especially when that part-owner is a legend in the town he currently works in. As there is no upside and this could potentially cause future issues, it's unwise.

not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

Quote Originally Posted by moscutter View Post
    Surprised and not so surprised. Cheap hal doesn't know much about baseball,. his brother is the owner we wish we had, but perhaps the owner we do have behind the scenes pulling his brothers strings like a puppet. However, i'd think hank would of had a smarter offseason than this.

I am seriously concerned ottavino is a bust
    I'm so glad Hank has nothing to do with the team. I'm no fan of Hal's budgeting but Hank scares the crap out of me.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    We're all offering opinions here. May as well shut down the board if a prerequisite for offering thoughts is having insider information.

My take is that there is indisputably zero upside to publicly trashing a part-owner of another team he is likely to want to do business with in the future, especially when that part-owner is a legend in the town he currently works in. As there is no upside and this could potentially cause future issues, it's unwise.
    With that, I'm going to agree to disagree about it being unwise.

I don't blame cashman for this, this is hal's directive, to be cheap and try to find bargains who pan out. I have a bad feeling it isn't gonna work, i WANT IT TO WORK..I want a darn championship, it feels like 20 years... it's only been 10 but still... it's 1 in 20

As is usually the case, a very impressive roster of power hitters and power arms in the bullpen. Unfortunately, as is also usually the case the team continues to struggle to develop home grown starters and/or acquire top end starters In free agency and the trade market.

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vanderlay View Post
    As is usually the case, a very impressive roster of power hitters and power arms in the bullpen. Unfortunately, as is also usually the case the team continues to struggle to develop home grown starters and/or acquire top end starters In free agency and the trade market.

that's fixable. Brian has to sign the best IFAs and overrule Hal the accountant. Also has to fix the minor league pitching philosophy to garner the world's best pitchers.

Off to work yo go, Brian.

Two home grown starters got hurt within this last year.

Two home grown starters got hurt within this last year.
    I didnít say they havenít developed any home grown starters. I think any objective person would acknowledge since Andy Pettite the organization has not done well in this area.

Quote Originally Posted by nyy42 View Post
    that's fixable. Brian has to sign the best IFAs and overrule Hal the accountant. Also has to fix the minor league pitching philosophy to garner the world's best pitchers.

Off to work yo go, Brian.
    So what are you suggesting with that first sentence? That Hal is preventing Cashman from acquiring top starters? I would like to see the evidence thatís supports that theory.

I didn’t say they haven’t developed any home grown starters. I think any objective person would acknowledge since Andy Pettite the organization has not done well in this area.
    You don't think they've done better lately in that regard?

Released Outright

So what are you suggesting with that first sentence? That Hal is preventing Cashman from acquiring top starters? I would like to see the evidence thatís supports that theory.
    with regards to signing IFAs he did. See: Yoan Moncada

with regards to signing IFAs he did. See: Yoan Moncada
    I didn't know Moncada is a pitcher.

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

You don't think they've done better lately in that regard?
    CMW and Severino are about all I can think of. At best, they developed then killed Joba who was a lights out starter until they tweeked his mechanics. Tanaka isn't "home grown" and Montgomery is far from anything I'd consider someone to brag over.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes View Post
    CMW and Severino are about all I can think of. At best, they developed then killed Joba who was a lights out starter until they tweeked his mechanics. Tanaka isn't "home grown" and Montgomery is far from anything I'd consider someone to brag over.
    Without a doubt the Yankees were terrible in player development, particularly when it came to starting pitching. As noted in "Inside the Empire", after the 2014 season in which Cashman basically forced Mark Newman into retirement and named Gary Denbo as his replacement, the Yankees overhauled their entire minor league system and have made incremental improvements over the last 4 years or so. Developing starting pitching takes time and I think the Yankees are much better today in that developmental process than they were five years ago and especially more so since the Joba/Hughes/Kennedy days of 2008-2010 time frame. They have made a bunch of personnel changes along with processes improvements. Their scouting and development staffs has grown exponentially since those Newman days with younger and more innovative coaches and analytic guys. This is only the beginning of them bearing fruit from that minor league system overhaul.

NYYF Legend

that's fixable. Brian has to sign the best IFAs and overrule Hal the accountant.
    Yeah GMs overrule owners all the time.

Glad to see you haven't lost your "touch."

I hope Cashman's plan brings us a WS title this season. No matter what, it should be an exciting baseball season. I still wish the moderators would correct my typo in this thread's header as I think it's disrespectful towards Cashman to keep it that way. Oh well, see you guys in November.

NYYF Legend

I hope Cashman's plan brings us a WS title this season. No matter what, it should be an exciting baseball season. I still wish the moderators would correct my typo in this thread's header as I think it's disrespectful towards Cashman to keep it that way. Oh well, see you guys in November.
    OK, is that it now for you. Is the retirement tour over? I just want to update my records.

Thanks.
    Just win!

Every time I read this thread title I immediately say to myself, "Gee, Brain, what do you want to do tonight?" and then answer myself with, "the same thing we do every night, Pinky. Try to take over the world."

God, how I love Pinky and the Brain. Yeah, I'm weird.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Thread Information