+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

2019 National Football League Season Thread

Key dates to know

Feb. 19: The franchise/transition period begins. Every NFL team can use either tag on one pending free agent to ensure, at the very least, the right of first refusal should he sign an offer sheet elsewhere. The biggest candidates for the franchise tag include a foursome of pass-rushers: the Dallas Cowboys' Demarcus Lawrence, the Houston Texans' Jadeveon Clowney, the Kansas City Chiefs' Dee Ford and the Seattle Seahawks' Frank Clark. Read more on the Lawrence, Clowney and Ford cases from NFL Nation.

Feb. 26-March 4: The scouting combine comes to Indianapolis. The annual draft meat market will give us a better idea of the 2019 quarterback class, information that if nothing else will provide a leverage point for projecting the top of the draft. At the moment, the highest-rated passer on both ESPN's Mel Kiper's and Todd McShay's big boards is Ohio State's Dwayne Haskins (No. 6 and No. 10, respectively). Is Haskins, Murray or perhaps even Duke's Daniel Jones worth consideration at No. 1 overall?

March 5: The deadline for franchise/transition tags hits at 4 p.m. ET. Most of the tag action occurs late in the process, after teams and players have tested each other for parameters of a long-term deal. Any team that wants to use its tag must file paperwork before the mid-afternoon deadline.

March 11-13: The free-agent negotiation period opens. Referred to by some as a time for "legal tampering" -- which makes no linguistic sense -- this intense period allows teams and agents of pending free agents to negotiate deals. Most of the offseason's major contract agreements will take place during this time. The 2019 class could be headed by Pittsburgh Steelers running back Le'Veon Bell, who sat out 2018 rather than play a second season under a franchise tag. Available quarterbacks will include Teddy Bridgewater, Tyrod Taylor and possibly Nick Foles. Here are the top 50 free agents available on the market.

March 13: Now it's official. Flip the calendars because the new league year begins. At 4 p.m. ET, all teams must be under the league's salary-cap ceiling, projected to be between $187 million and $191.1 million. Technically, each team's cap number is the sum of the cap numbers for its top 51 players. After that point, free-agent deals can be made official, as can trades. Significant names on the trade block include Steelers receiver Antonio Brown, Baltimore Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco and perhaps Foles, if the Philadelphia Eagles use the franchise tag on him with the purpose of auctioning him off rather than allowing him to leave as a free agent.

March 24-27: Ah, the annual league meeting. With the gathering in Phoenix, owners will hold their primary meeting of the year. This is where two significant rule changes are debated and long-term plans are mapped out. Items on the competition committee agenda will include adjustments to replay and punting. The 2021 expiration of the league's collective bargaining agreement (CBA) with players also will come into sharper focus.

April 1: The first offseason workouts take place. The NFL's eight teams with new head coaches can begin their offseason programs.

April 15: The NFL's remaining 24 teams can begin workouts.

April 25-27: It's draft time! Nashville, Tennessee, is the site for the 2019 event, which for the first time will be telecast on ABC, ESPN and the NFL Network. The Arizona Cardinals own the No. 1 overall pick. At the moment, Kiper's five highest-ranked players all play defense: Ohio State pass-rusher Nick Bosa, Alabama defensive tackle Quinnen Williams, Kentucky linebacker Josh Allen, LSU linebacker Devin White and LSU cornerback Greedy Williams. Will new Cardinals coach Kliff Kingsbury select Bosa to line up opposite Chandler Jones? What will Jon Gruden do with three first-round picks? Will the New York Giants or Jacksonville Jaguars be the first to take a quarterback? Check out Scouts Inc.'s full draft rankings for scouting reports on the top prospects.

May 3-6, 10-13: Teams can host a three-day rookie minicamp on one of these two weekends. Draft picks, undrafted rookies, tryout players and select first-year players can all participate.

June 2: This is the key salary-cap date. Teams can lessen the salary-cap blow of players they release by designating them as post-June 1 cuts. The unamortized portion of their contracts then counts against the 2020 cap.

July 15: Teams and franchise-tag players have until 4 p.m. ET to reach agreements on multiyear contracts. If they don't, the only option for playing in 2019 is under the one-year terms of the tag.
    "Show me what you got!" Big head from "Rick and Morty"

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Re: 2019 National Football League Season Thread

I'm most excited to see if the Raiders play 16 road games next year.

whatever that new football league calls itself they actually outdrew the NBA ratings-wise the other day.

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    whatever that new football league calls itself they actually outdrew the NBA ratings-wise the other day.
    Well there's never been a day where so many franchise records were set.

I like some of the new rules this league has. No FG in overtime, give teams a 4th and 12 from the 25 instead of an onsides kick, extra ref up in the press box to overrule stuff missed on the field....good ideas.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    I guess the leagues is AAF. Not sure what that stands for "American Association of Football"?
    I didn't even realize that had started till I heard them mention it on the radio this morning.
    My guess is excitement for the shiny new thing will fade rather quickly but who know.

In NFL related news the Brown signed Kareem Hunt proving if you are productive some teams will overlook most transgretions.

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post

In NFL related news the Brown signed Kareem Hunt proving if you are productive some teams will overlook most transgretions.
    Unless, of course, you are Colin Kapernick.

I guess the leagues is AAF. Not sure what that stands for "American Association of Football"?
    I didn't even realize that had started till I heard them mention it on the radio this morning.
    My guess is excitement for the shiny new thing will fade rather quickly but who know.
    Alliance of American Football.

I caught parts of a couple games over the weekend. It was entertaining football, played at a faster pace than you're used to (35 second play clock, that starts at the end of the previous play, rather than when the ref spots the ball). I didn't know who a lot of the players were, and obviously there's no team allegiance yet. Still made it an entertaining product.

I also like that, with a few exceptions, they targeted cities that have a professional sports team, but not an NFL team: San Diego, San Antonio, Orlando, Salt Lake City, and the like.

I'll watch again, but it's not like I'm rescheduling any plans to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post

I caught parts of a couple games over the weekend. It was entertaining football, played at a faster pace than you're used to (35 second play clock, that starts at the end of the previous play, rather than when the ref spots the ball). I didn't know who a lot of the players were, and obviously there's no team allegiance yet. Still made it an entertaining product.

I also like that, with a few exceptions, they targeted cities that have a professional sports team, but not an NFL team: San Diego, San Antonio, Orlando, Salt Lake City, and the like.

Are all games on Saturday night?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post

I am unlikely to watch anytime soon.
    But if there are parts folks like, you can bet the NFL will co-opt them pretty quick.

The Broncos are trading a "mid-round" pick for Joe Flacco.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/02/13/jo...-lamar-jackson

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    Are all games on Saturday night?
    Two games on Saturdays, and two on Sundays.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mxylsplk View Post
    The Broncos are trading a "mid-round" pick for Joe Flacco.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/02/13/jo...-lamar-jackson
    LOL at the Broncos giving up assets to acquire Flacco. John Elway so bad as a GM evaluating QBs. Even Manning was garbage as Den QB at the time, he just had a great defenses and solid running game to manage for the SB win.

LOL at the Broncos giving up assets to acquire Flacco. John Elway so bad as a GM evaluating QBs. Even Manning was garbage as Den QB at the time, he just had a great defenses and solid running game to manage for the SB win.
    He was garbage his last year and half because he broke down. He was First team all pro in 2012 and 2013. Broke records in 2013 and won MVP

Devoted Member

So they have Flacco and Keenum... It's interesting that they would give up a 4th round pick to make a change at a position where they'll likely draft for a longer-term solution

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by fightingirish595 View Post
    He was garbage his last year and half because he broke down. He was First team all pro in 2013 and 2013. Broke records in 2015 and won MVP
    Yeah I guess my memory of his Denver days is clouded by his being benched for Brock Oswieler his final season before Brock was clearly not up to the task and Peyton went back in full game management mode. Though I think Houston gave Brock a boat load of money saving Denver from themselves at the time.

The NFL has reached a settlement with Colin Kaepernick and Eric Reid in their collusion case.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/nfl-col...ay-2019-02-15/

Robert Kraft, warrant issued for arrest in prostitution sting in Florida...

https://www.tmz.com/2019/02/22/rober...#disqus_thread

Ooops!

Quote Originally Posted by DrNick View Post

Ooops!
    Commish gets to suspend him now. Not that it effects much.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by DrNick View Post

Ooops!
    Did he violate tug rule?

Quote Originally Posted by CalYankeeFan View Post
    Did he violate tug rule?

*Insert deflated balls joke here*

Well, RIP to the AAF. Couldn't even make it a full year.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ll-operations/

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    Well, RIP to the AAF. Couldn't even make it a full year.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ll-operations/
    I thought the NFL was behind this league. It says it needs 20 million to finish the season. A drop in the bucket for the NFL...

Jets ditching the 60s look (again).

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...-green-helmets

NYYF Legend

Josh Norman would make a great Game of Thrones character

The Texans are going to franchise Clowney because they can't come to a long term deal. Somehow they're able to franchise him as a linebacker even though he played only like 2% of his snaps as one last year but by doing so saves them almost $1m over what they'd pay him as a franchised DL. Disgusting.

Thread Information