Thread: Rank'em - #12

Good to the last drop CoyoteYankee's Avatar

Re: Rank'em - #12

1. The Far Side
    2. Calvin and Hobbes
    3. Cathy
    4. Peanuts
    2017 - Better than expected!

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteYankee View Post
    1. The Far Side
    2. Calvin and Hobbes
    3. Kathy
    4. Peanuts

Awwww. Kathy.
    Take car. Go to Mum's. Kill Phil - "Sorry." - grab Liz, go to the Winchester, have a nice cold pint, and wait for all of this to blow over. How's that for a slice of fried gold?

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Peanuts animated specials are decent. Peanuts the comic strip is objectively terrible.
    Totally agree with this. The strip was bad.

I had a hard time deciding between The Far Side and Calvin and Hobbes. I love Calvin and Hobbes so much but The Far Side just satisfies my stupid sense of humor perfectly.

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

I had a hard time deciding between The Far Side and Calvin and Hobbes. I love Calvin and Hobbes so much but The Far Side just satisfies my stupid sense of humor perfectly.
    Only Calvin and Hobbs had Calvinball. Or snowmen. Those were the tipping points, for me, as compared to Far Side.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    Awwww. Kathy.
    Ack!! I loved Cathy (I realized too late I spelled it wrong). It was a really honest and funny comic strip.

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    Only Calvin and Hobbs had Calvinball. Or snowmen. Those were the tipping points, for me, as compared to Far Side.
    There is truth in this. It's just rare that a comic strip makes me belly laugh and The Far Side did this to me more than any other.

NYYF Legend

Ack!! I loved Cathy (I realized too late I spelled it wrong). It was a really honest and funny comic strip.
    WAY too wordy. Only comic strip you had to read with a bookmark.

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    WAY too wordy. Only comic strip you had to read with a bookmark.
    Women talk too much.

NYYF Legend

Women talk too much.
    ha ha. Cathy was a likable and goodhearted comic but like i say, too many words. Sometimes the dialogue (monologue?) filled up more than half the space. In a 4-panel strip please don't make me read 100ish words to set up the punchline. It's a minimalist form. Write a play or something.

Given the generally liberal bent of the JC (or at least the political threads therein) crowd I'm surprised Doonesbury, which was incredible in the 1970s, didn't get a mention. Also "This Modern World" by Tom Tomorrow. "Tom the Dancing Bug" as well ("God's Re-election Campaign" from the 1990s is amazing).

I would have thought theDurk and JL would pick Doonesbury. I thought there was something in the Yale by-laws about that being mandatory for alumnus.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    I would have thought theDurk and JL would pick Doonesbury. I thought there was something in the Yale by-laws about that being mandatory for alumnus.
    I did like Doonebury. That was the only comic in the Yale Daily News and I did read it for those years. I was a particular fan of Lacey Davenport whose real life inspiration was our NJ District 5 House Rep, Millicent Fenwick, of badass pipe-smoking fame. Millicent was from my town, was a friend of my mother's and she helped get me my first real job after college.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    Where's Archer?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    Where's Archer?
    Indeed.
    Just win!

Where's Archer?
    He's probably still hungover from the Patriots Parade
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Doonesbury was great. I should clearly have given it HM, but it would not have ousted Little Nemo.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Doonesbury was great. I should clearly have given it HM, but it would not have ousted Little Nemo.
    I considered Doonesbury but preferred Bloom County so went with that one.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Where's Archer?
    Holy Crap. Totally missed this one (tough week at work).

Too late for the ranking, but John's original list would be ranked as:

1. Calvin and Hobbes
    2. Far Side
    3. Peanuts

I could have added any number of strips to the list with Doonesbury getting inserted at the top.

But that's not to say that Peanuts is bad. In fact, it's the gold standard for comic strips in my opinion. Far Side was standard issue for many people's Strip a Day Calendars in the 80's and 90's.

Dilbert is one that you swear that Scott Adams worked on the other side of your cubicle. Funny thing is I had a friend who worked with Scott Adams WAAAAY back when.

For many years, I delivered newspapers back in the 70's. Blondie, Funky Winkerbean, Blondie, Wizard of Id, and Doonesbury were usually the first things I read before starting the route. Believe me when I say that Doonesbury was having a field day with the Nixon White House, but it was just starting to hit it's stride when President Reagan came in.
    Ask me about my groin pull.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1979 View Post
    Holy Crap. Totally missed this one (tough week at work).

Too late for the ranking, but John's original list would be ranked as:

1. Calvin and Hobbes
    2. Far Side
    3. Peanuts

I could have added any number of strips to the list with Doonesbury getting inserted at the top.

But that's not to say that Peanuts is bad. In fact, it's the gold standard for comic strips in my opinion. Far Side was standard issue for many people's Strip a Day Calendars in the 80's and 90's.

Dilbert is one that you swear that Scott Adams worked on the other side of your cubicle. Funny thing is I had a friend who worked with Scott Adams WAAAAY back when.

For many years, I delivered newspapers back in the 70's. Blondie, Funky Winkerbean, Blondie, Wizard of Id, and Doonesbury were usually the first things I read before starting the route. Believe me when I say that Doonesbury was having a field day with the Nixon White House, but it was just starting to hit it's stride when President Reagan came in.
    No worries. I didn't put a deadline on this series, so your late thoughts are welcomed. And for that matter not late.
    Just win!

NYYF Legend

1. Calvin and Hobbes
    2. Peanuts
    3. Pearls Before Swine
    4. Far Side

The new 'Nancy' is good too.

Be seeing you,

Saxmania
    Mayonnaise is a demanding master.

1. Calvin & Hobbes
    2. Far Side
    3. Herman
    4. Peanuts
    Let the kids play.

Quote Originally Posted by Saxmania View Post
    1. Calvin and Hobbes
    2. Peanuts
    3. Pearls Before Swine
    4. Far Side

The new 'Nancy' is good too.

Be seeing you,

Saxmania
    Yes, the new Nancy is almost shockingly good. Sluggo is lit.

Thread Information